• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Make of Jacket

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
I took a nice walk in the rain today to test out me existing rain jacket (I have the Berghaus Paclite), I was surprised that although I wasn't soaked through, there was wet pockets, I also think that some of the inside wetness may have been due to humidity. My shirt was really dry, but I was only out for about an hour, tackling a full day of rain on the Camino might show different results.
I'm am thinking of buying a new lightweight rain jacket, so can the experts please help with advice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Normally the rain jacket I own would be way above my budget, but last year I luckily stumbled upon an add on Marktplaats (sort of the Dutch Ebay for secondhand goods). I payed about a third of the retail value and from then on I was the happy wearer of an Arc'teryx Theta AR jacket. I love it.
Mind you, after a full day of rain, I still get slightly damp inside, but I think there isn't a jacket out there that'll keep you bone dry, whatever the marketing department claims.
Apart from being wind- and waterproof, there are three things about this jacket that I will look for whenever I'll need a new one. First the length of it: it falls just over my rear end, so I can sit on wet grass and not soak my pants.
Secondly, zippers under the arms, so that you can dump heat (and condensation) on a rainy but otherwise warm day. I was surprised at the difference that makes regarding build up of dampness inside the jacket. Because you will sweat when you walk long distances, especially with a pack.
Which brings me to point three: reinforced fabric at the shoulders, arms and hips. Vital to avoid wear and tear when you wear a backpack all day.
I had it with me for three months of heavy duty wear last year and it never let me down.

I took a nice walk in the rain today to test out me existing rain jacket (I have the Berghaus Paclite), I was surprised that although I wasn't soaked through, there was wet pockets, I also think that some of the inside wetness may have been due to humidity. My shirt was really dry, but I was only out for about an hour, tackling a full day of rain on the Camino might show different results.
I'm am thinking of buying a new lightweight rain jacket, so can the experts please help with advice.
I think that you should also contemplate that this is an indication that your clothing choices are actually working, and that your shirt is wicking moisture (typically sweat) to the inside surface of the rain jacket. At that point, if the water vapour does not transpire, or if it does not turn to vapour and is in its liquid phase, it will collect on the inside surface of the jacket as condensation.

You are right to be concerned, because at that point, any additional sweat is unlikely to form as vapour, and you will eventually get quite damp under your rain jacket. Changing jackets won't necessarily be a solution. You would need to choose a fabric with a much higher transpiration rate than the jacket you currently have to make any significant difference.

There may be other solutions, like slowing down and not generating as much sweat!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Currently I have an Arcteryx and Mountain Hardwear. Both are excellent in keeping the rain out. The problem is sweat. Even with pit zippers, there just isn't enough ventilation. So, I've been researching ponchos. The ventilation is better and they tend to cover more of your legs.

I enjoyed my Challenger jacket from ZPacks
ultralight, pit zips, adjustable hood with brim, covered my rump well, adjustable cuff, waist and hood closures
Cuben fiber eVent , front pocket, full zip, weight 145-179 gm
did not sweat up compared to my poncho
$$$
my main go to with layering ( as long as not on a mountain then it is the Arcterryx)

Currently I have an Arcteryx and Mountain Hardwear. Both are excellent in keeping the rain out. The problem is sweat. Even with pit zippers, there just isn't enough ventilation. So, I've been researching ponchos. The ventilation is better and they tend to cover more of your legs.
This post reminded me of the pilgrim I met back here in Australia who complained that he had bought five (yes, five) rain jackets at various places along the camino, and they had all failed because they leaked. He didn't think that he sweated!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Normally the rain jacket I own would be way above my budget, but last year I luckily stumbled upon an add on Marktplaats (sort of the Dutch Ebay for secondhand goods). I payed about a third of the retail value and from then on I was the happy wearer of an Arc'teryx Theta AR jacket. I love it.
Mind you, after a full day of rain, I still get slightly damp inside, but I think there isn't a jacket out there that'll keep you bone dry, whatever the marketing department claims.
Apart from being wind- and waterproof, there are three things about this jacket that I will look for whenever I'll need a new one. First the length of it: it falls just over my rear end, so I can sit on wet grass and not soak my pants.
Secondly, zippers under the arms, so that you can dump heat (and condensation) on a rainy but otherwise warm day. I was surprised at the difference that makes regarding build up of dampness inside the jacket. Because you will sweat when you walk long distances, especially with a pack.
Which brings me to point three: reinforced fabric at the shoulders, arms and hips. Vital to avoid wear and tear when you wear a backpack all day.
I had it with me for three months of heavy duty wear last year and it never let me down.

I really like Arc'teryx stuff but it's just so expensive, you did well to get your jacket cheap. Arc'x looks great too and is some of the coolest stuff out there :)

I got mine from a guy who won it in a competition in a magazine, he already owned one so he sold me the new one, direct from M'tain H'wear...I'm unlikely to ever be so lucky again.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I really like Arc'teryx stuff , the performance is amazing generally but it's just normally so expensive, you did well to get your jacket. It also looks great too and is probably the coolest stuff out there :)

I got mine from a guy who had won it in a competition in a magazine, he already owned one so he sold me the new one, direct from Mountain Hardwear...unlikely to ever be repeated or so lucky again.

Dude I bought mine from had planned to go on a mountain climbing hike, but changed his mind. Instead he was going to learn how to base-jump with a wingsuit and was selling all his gear to pay for the new equipment. To each his own...

Hi Waka,

Before you buy another jacket, how clean is your jacket?

Gore-Tex needs to be kept fairly clean to breathe properly both inside and out. I wash mine every 6 months or so, more often if it gets filthy.

I use laundry liquid for delicates (wool/silk) and cool wash on an easy-care synthetic cycle in a machine (don't use bio liquids on your jacket). Don't use too much liquid and then when finished run it on a rinse program, twice. Any remaining detergent will interfere with the water repellency and breathing so the rinse is important.

After that I spray with NikWax TX Direct (I think it's better this way than than using the Techwash) and rub it in/spread it evenly lightly while wearing some disposable gloves. The NikWax replenishes the DWR finish, helps repel dirt and 'lubricate' the fabric fibres supposedly, maybe that's why mine have worn so well. Afterwards, whether you applied NikWax or not, hang above a radiator or better still put in a tumble dryer on a low-medium heat to dry it, apparently the heat 're-activates' the membrane. Some advice out there reckons if your jacket is old the seams might degrade in a tumble drier and the TX Direct doesn't need heat to 'set' so let it dry at room temperature, or hang over a radiator as mentioned.

Maybe try this and see it makes any difference.

BC! :)

Last edited:
My preference is 3 layer EVent fabric you can find very well known brands using it. I used the REI version in weeklong rain on the Camino, I purchased a Karrimor version for my wife that shipped from England. After 5 years I bought a new version from Montane that has reinforced my belief it is the best breathing raingear I own both pants & coat.
It does not have to be expensive just find it on sale, even if you have to order on the other side of the ocean.
Keith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Just be careful here, because there are some drawbacks to a poncho that you may wish to consider. First, you just about HAVE to wear it over your pack, which means parts of your back, legs, etc. may be exposed. Second, in a strong wind they can beat you to death, figuratively speaking. Third, in that same strong wind they can become sails -- great in a tail-wind, awful in a head-wind, tricky in a cross-wind. And fourth, I haven't yet come across one that really breathes.

Don't misunderstand. I routinely carry a lightweight nylon poncho, even in my day-pack. They are extremely useful in many ways. I just don't use one as my primary rain protection. At present I'm relying on a positively ancient Gore-Tex hooded jacket that I've had since the mid-1990's. I have the pants too, but because their 32-inch inseam is two inches too long, adaptation is required.

Last edited:

Thanks, I'm struggling with what to get for the outer layer & rain jacket (I like longer, pockets must be accessible not blocked by pack hip straps) . 1. Does the Arcteryx theta serve as your outer layer/rain/wind all in one? 2. Is this jacket suitable for mid March-April CF weather/temperatures? 3. How to estimate size when buying online (I'm EU size 38 top)? 4. Do you use a fleece or puff as 2nd layer? Thanks

Thanks, I'm struggling with what to get for the outer layer & rain jacket (I like longer, pockets must be accessible not blocked by pack hip straps) . 1. Does the Arcteryx theta serve as your outer layer/rain/wind all in one? 2. Is this jacket suitable for mid March-April CF weather/temperatures? 3. How to estimate size when buying online (I'm EU size 38 top)? 4. Do you use a fleece or puff as 2nd layer? Thanks

Yes to your first two questions. The pockets on the Theta are high up by the way, well above the hip belt of your pack.
As for size, I seem to remember Arc'teryx falls large. I'm 1.80, medium build and wear a medium. Maybe first try one out in an outdoorshop and then order. Or check the return policy of your online shop.
A thin fleece was all I needed, I don't get cold quickly. But don't bundle up, layer up. Get a merino T-shirt, a warm tech pullover and a thin fleece. That should be more than adequate.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Purky Thanks for the info on your jacket, you're right about one thing, it certainly is above budget. I have to admit I do like the vent zips under the arms, I'll put that as a condition if and when I change.

From what I'm reading, sweat is going to be a problem to some degree whatever one is wearing, I guess it's trying to find one that minimises this.
Regarding the poncho (and I don't want this to get into a Poncho versus jacket thread)
I used one on my CF and felt that I was wetter inside than out.

I've seen other people make valid points while I typed that out, I'm writing presuming that you have got your mid/base layers sorted with good wicking properties etc.

It's also worth seeing if you can send the your Berghaus to Gore Inc for examination, but it will take a while and obviously up to you if you want to be without it for some time.

BC! :)

Yes I do have my base layers sorted, they are all marino wool and work excellently.
Thanks for all the information in the previous post, it's very useful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes to your first two questions. The pockets on the Theta are high up by the way, well above the hip belt of your pack.
As for size, I seem to remember Arc'teryx falls large. I'm 1.80, medium build and wear a medium. Maybe first try one out in an outdoorshop and then order. Or check the return policy of your online shop.
A thin fleece was all I needed, I don't get cold quickly. But don't bundle up, layer up. Get a merino T-shirt, a warm tech pullover and a thin fleece. That should be more than adequate.
Much appreciated!

Thanks to all who have responded, I can already see that it's an expensive minefield out there. My request continues to find the perfect jacket for me at a reasonable price.

Thanks to all who have responded, I can already see that it's an expensive minefield out there. My request continues to find the perfect jacket for me at a reasonable price.
We have used ponchos with great success rather than jackets on the Camino. Our jackets are by Rohan, they might still have some in their sale section. They do what they say, turn water and are not sweaty. That said I think mine would benefit from some reproofing (after 4 years). The Nikwax spray on breathable re-proofer is good but do make sure you get the one for fabric not for wax jackets. If your jacket is older that might be all it needs. They do a wash in type as well but we have used the spray on our ponchos and put it where most needed rather than wash in and then proof.

€149,-
We have used ponchos with great success rather than jackets on the Camino. Our jackets are by Rohan, they might still have some in their sale section. They do what they say, turn water and are not sweaty. That said I think mine would benefit from some reproofing (after 4 years). The Nikwax spray on breathable re-proofer is good but do make sure you get the one for fabric not for wax jackets. If your jacket is older that might be all it needs. They do a wash in type as well but we have used the spray on our ponchos and put it where most needed rather than wash in and then proof.

Hi Tia

My jacket is not old and only been worn on 5 rainy days over the last year. I think what I'm finding is the pocket zips may not be as good as they could be, and there isn't
any underarm vents, therefore the heat generated inside the jacket is causing a lot of sweat.
My next test is to wear it when it's not raining, just so I can see how much heat is generated and how wet i get on the inside.
I can see me visiting CO on the day of our meet up and trying out lots of jackets.

I agree that it is necessary to wash and dry Gore-Tex lined clothing in a washing machine fairly regularly. I have not had the courage to put my Gore-Tex lined jacket in a hot dryer, but I suggest that interested members contact Gore-Tex via their website for their exact recommendations.
I now have a jacket with E-vent lining which is used by the US Military and thoroughly tested before approval by them. It is supposed to be much superior to Gore-Tex, and I have walked two Caminos using this jacket, including eight continuous days in heavy rain in Galicia and been dry, and I always used to sweat in Gore-Tex as I am a heavy sweater. This jacket is made by Macpro, a New Zealand company.
Whatever you buy, you have to pay for a quality lining.
Also, Gore-Tex can only legally approve garments made using Gore-Tex, which they enforce. They cannot legally approve garments made using alternative lining materials, such as E-vent.

I researched some of the waterproof jackets people have mentioned and prices are astronomical (300-700€$). I personally wouldn't buy online without trying a jacket on especially if I can't first find it in a store. My sister keeps reminding me that this is a Pilgrimage and one will never be prepared for every situation. I'm walking middle March to end of April and after trying on a Millet goretex, which would be too heavy for average seasonal temps in Spain (for me as a Canadian ), I went with a larger sized (I like long sleeves and mid thigh) 360 Vertigo 2 breathable waterproof (15000-19000mm) & windproof soft shell with a great adjustable hood, pockets that zip up to chest level, 2 inner pockets and underarm ventilation zips + a very cozy close fitting LaFuma fleece and good rainpants. If I need a poncho or Altus I'll get one.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I researched some of the waterproof jackets people have mentioned and prices are astronomical (300-700€$). I personally wouldn't buy online without trying a jacket on especially if I can't first find it in a store. My sister keeps reminding me that this is a Pilgrimage and one will never be prepared for every situation. I'm walking middle March to end of April and after trying on a Millet goretex, which would be too heavy for average seasonal temps in Spain (for me as a Canadian ), I went with a larger sized (I like long sleeves and mid thigh) 360 Vertigo 2 breathable waterproof (15000-19000mm) & windproof soft shell with a great adjustable hood, pockets that zip up to chest level, 2 inner pockets and underarm ventilation zips + a very cozy close fitting LaFuma fleece and good rainpants. If I need a poncho or Altus I'll get one.

Yes the prices are very scary, almost makes you think it's worth getting wet.
I am still researching my options, with a visit to the local store next month to try on an array of jackets. Other than that it might have to be the black plastic bin liners.
I will be leaving the same time as you but a year later, I'll be interested to know how you get on during the month of March.

I use a Cool-Max base layer, a "regular" button-up long-sleeved shirt, and a full-zip micro-fleece hoodie beneath my rain jacket. If it gets really cold I add an REI fleece vest. (And gloves, of course.)

This has worked very well for me down to -9 C (15 F). In fact, I have found that just the base-layer and shirt under the rain jacket will keep me cozy down to around 40 F (4 C). Of course, I've been told that there must be a polar bear somewhere back in my ancestry... ;)

Last edited:
Yes the prices are very scary, almost makes you think it's worth getting wet.

I know you are joking, but hypothermia is no laughing matter. In my college days I once experienced moderate hypothermia in air temps of around 70 F (21 C). I was soaking wet and had to remain exposed to a constant 20-25 mph (32-40 kph) wind for about 3 hours.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Glenn Rowe is so right;
hypothermia can be hell!
November 2012 walking alone on the meseta suddenly the sky darkened as cold rain teemed down. Fierce wind blew and the path became heavy slippery mud. Next all was bitter cold with icy hail as it became almost impossible to see or move. What a drenching mess!

Shaking with cold I finally stumbled down into the little village of Hontanas which then had a wonderful camino tradition. The door of the municipal albergue was always kept ajar in case any pilgrim at any time needed solace. Recalling this I thankfully staggered in, found a bunk upstairs, and immediately took a blissfully long HOT shower and at last began to get warm. Four other soaked and shivering pilgrims eventually arrived at that very welcome simple refuge. We all brewed tea and thawed out together.

In my misspent youth I was quite an avid bushwalker and backcountry skier(knees a bit shot now).

My first, expensive Goretex jacket leaked like a sieve. While visiting the US I walked into the Eddie Bauer shop in Washington DC (before they went trendy), and theyvwere very sceptical about my claims. The next day I took the offending jacket in, asked for two glasses, one empty and one with water, put a random section of fabric over the empty one and dribbled a bit of water on it. It ran straight through.

Subsequently, I bought two more expensive Goretex jackets, one with a heavier duty inner lining (Paddy Pallin brand). They also both leaked like sieves. I used the latter on my Camino and was sopping wet every time it rained, but stayed dry when it snowed. It was excellent as a windproof.

But some people never learn. I picked up a virtually brand new one at St. Vinnie's for twenty bucks. Caution and light showers maybe.

For something like the Camino I would be looking for a poncho covering my pack with a drawstring at the bottom to avoid the thing shredding in heavy wind.

But whatever, there is a problem with Goretex when wearing a pack for any extended time. The inner lining/teflon will wear through under the shoulder straps even with the heavier fabrics.

De Colores

Bogong

In my misspent youth I was quite an avid bushwalker and backcountry skier(knees a bit shot now).

My first, expensive Goretex jacket leaked like a sieve. While visiting the US I walked into the Eddie Bauer shop in Washington DC (before they went trendy), and theyvwere very sceptical about my claims. The next day I took the offending jacket in, asked for two glasses, one empty and one with water, put a random section of fabric over the empty one and dribbled a bit of water on it. It ran straight through.

Subsequently, I bought two more expensive Goretex jackets, one with a heavier duty inner lining (Paddy Pallin brand). They also both leaked like sieves. I used the latter on my Camino and was sopping wet every time it rained, but stayed dry when it snowed. It was excellent as a windproof.

But some people never learn. I picked up a virtually brand new one at St. Vinnie's for twenty bucks. Caution and light showers maybe.

For something like the Camino I would be looking for a poncho covering my pack with a drawstring at the bottom to avoid the thing shredding in heavy wind.

But whatever, there is a problem with Goretex when wearing a pack for any extended time. The inner lining/teflon will wear through under the shoulder straps even with the heavier fabrics.

De Colores

Bogong

Hi Bogong: Wow I haven't heard De Colores since I was a teenager, that was nice ! Thanks for the share and your experience lol with or without the fully functioning knees (mine's a capricious right Achilles' tendon) I pride myself on being practical and adapt to local conditions without problem, prepare within reason but I'm trying to keep this a Pilgrimage if you get what I mean. I'm so fortunate to have a lot of time now, a prudent reserve for bad weather days/unforeseen necessities so am doing my best to kit properly and leaving the rest to my Higher Power. I've got a waterproof light jacket (sprayed more waterproofing as per mountain shop recommendation on shoulders/back where pack will rub), rain pants I used for golfing, Osprey backpack w rain cover but I waterproofed pack straps w spray, have a very compact cheap hooded rain coat that I can ditch if I find an Altus.....I'm assuming Altus type poncho is what you're referring to. Thanks once again and De Colores / buen camino!

Hi Waka, I've a Berghaus Paclite too. I love it, but it can get a bit sweaty sometimes and I wish it had those pockets in the armpits. Or perhaps as @dougfitz suggests, maybe a different grade of fabric would do a better job - but the 'better' goretex jackets are so expensive! I'm due to replace mine this year - I might get another Paclite, but perhaps in a looser fit.

On a separate but related note, I see that TX Maxx was mentioned in one of the replies. If you're on the look-out for outdoor gear, it's worth browsing in your local store from time to time. I've picked up some great bargains there - including Keen hiking shoes, Brooks trail running shoes , a Vaude lightweight jacket, Columbia shirts and lots of other bits and pieces. All at around 50% (and in some cases much less) than the normal retail price.

Also - although we talk a lot here about the 'best' gear for the Camino, have you noticed that most of the Spanish pilgrims seem to buy their stuff in Decathlon? And they manage just fine :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A good cheap Regatta jacket from Go Outdoors did the job for me. I bought it to replace another Regatta jacket because of its weight, just 0.5kg. Both kept me dry on very wet days

Hi Waka, I've a Berghaus Paclite too. I love it, but it can get a bit sweaty sometimes and I wish it had those pockets in the armpits. Or perhaps as @dougfitz suggests, maybe a different grade of fabric would do a better job - but the 'better' goretex jackets are so expensive! I'm due to replace mine this year - I might get another Paclite, but perhaps in a looser fit.

On a separate but related note, I see that TX Maxx was mentioned in one of the replies. If you're on the look-out for outdoor gear, it's worth browsing in your local store from time to time. I've picked up some great bargains there - including Keen hiking shoes, Brooks trail running shoes , a Vaude lightweight jacket, Columbia shirts and lots of other bits and pieces. All at around 50% (and in some cases much less) than the normal retail price.

Also - although we talk a lot here about the 'best' gear for the Camino, have you noticed that most of the Spanish pilgrims seem to buy their stuff in Decathlon? And they manage just fine :)

I've done a few more tests and done a lot of reading regarding breathable material and have concluded that my Paclite is behaving as it should. One thing I learnt was that the pockets are designed to vent heat out of the jacket, that was news to me.
I have been seriously looking at the Arc Teryx Beta, but another day perhaps, at the moment I'm sticking with what I've got.

I do trawl around the walking shops during the sales and have managed so far this year to pick up some marino gear at very good prices, as you say always worth looking. When I think back I don't think I've paid full price for any of my gear.

Beware for the poncho waterproofing, it has only 2000mm (Altus S3 Atmopheric) and no breathability (http://www.altus.es/PONCHO_ATMOSPHERIC_S3_71503A2_var.aspx)
Gore tex has 20000 and up.
Cheaper online jackets that I could find in Europe are the Outdoor Research Foray and the Marmot Minimalist, both Gore Tex Paclite (both pitzips).
But you can change the country (worldwide). This is the site for the US: https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/outdoor-research-foray-goretex/598066/p
All the jackets work best when brandnew.

@Colette Zaharie The extra waterproof spray is a good idea :)

I don't have decided yet what jacket I'm going to buy ;)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.