• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What makes a good guidebook?

Sarah80

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk july 15
Hello

I’ve walked the Frances four times now and decided it’s about time I gave one of the other routes a bash and from asking around different pages and forums I’ve been recommended to the VDLP for a winter Camino. I was looking for a guidebook but it appears, Amazon at least, don’t stock many on this route.

I assume almost all of us have copies of various guides and all have our favourite authors but I was wondering, in your opinions, what makes a good guide to a camino? What info is the most important to you when choosing? And which ones you use ... and lastly if anyone has walked the VDLP and can recommend one?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Before buying a guide book have a look at the Eroski or Gronze on-line guides.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The above recommendations are very good. For an inexpensive smartphone guide, consider the Wise Pilgrim Guides.

There are guides available for many Camino routes, including the VDLP. They are available for both Android and iOS phones.

If you have "location services" turned on, and have a data plan, this app will tell you exactly how many Km from where you are to the next named point. Also, the built in mapping function is very good.

I hope this helps.

Although I like to have a paper map to hand, I've found the Wise Pilgrim apps most useful, informative and easy to use offline. Only a few euros each from the app store. Gronze is also a useful website, but I'd pick Wise Pilgrim over it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Its really a pity that one or two of our better guide book authors have not taken on the VDLP. There is one book but not sure how current it is, but the last thorough one that I am aware of is now more than 10 years out of date and out of print.

Hi All

Thanks for all the responses - really useful - i’ll look for the Wise Pilgrim guide in the App Store as, still being in the EU (just) my plan will cover it.

It is a shame the VDLP isn’t covered, in English, by the regular authors who write popular Camino books. I’ve found a couple of memoirs.

I agree elevation/distance maps are super critical and functional info about the size of towns, their albergues and facilities also. I do also enjoy a paragraph about the writers experience on that section also, their observations and feelings.

Thanks for all the advice!

There is a downloadable version of the complete Eroski guide to the VDLP on their website in both HTML or PDF format. Maps, elevation charts, distances and albergues - though not private accommodation which is easily found on the Gronze website which is much more useful on accommodation. There are also similar guides for other Caminos. Where the Eroski site scores over Gronze in my opinion is that it gives quite a bit of route description and historical and cultural notes. Only in Spanish unfortunately. I did work out a way of producing a rough machine translation of the HTML version on my Windows laptop: open the page in Google Chrome browser and click on the "translate" function, scroll slowly all the way to the bottom of the very long single web page so the whole lot is translated, then "print" the page using "save as PDF". Like most machine-translation there are many mistakes and some real howlers produced but generally the sense of the text is clear. The big advantage of this is that the resulting PDF file can be saved on a smartphone or similar gadget and viewed offline.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/llevatela-al-camino/completa/?camino=via-de-la-plata

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/llevatela-al-camino/

https://www.gronze.com/via-plata

Since information on albergues and bars quickly goes out of date I find that of little interest in a guidebook. There are many other sources for that information these days. I do find cultural and historical notes valuable as I walk. The Gitlitz & Davidson book is probably my favorite but too heavy and bulky to lug around :) Personally I prefer it when authors present relevant information simply and clearly without patronizing metaphysical meanderings

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello

I’ve walked the Frances four times now and decided it’s about time I gave one of the other routes a bash and from asking around different pages and forums I’ve been recommended to the VDLP for a winter Camino. I was looking for a guidebook but it appears, Amazon at least, don’t stock many on this route.

I assume almost all of us have copies of various guides and all have our favourite authors but I was wondering, in your opinions, what makes a good guide to a camino? What info is the most important to you when choosing? And which ones you use ... and lastly if anyone has walked the VDLP and can recommend one?

Hello,
When I did I wanted to trust more so I really enjoyed doing it without a guide. Good to talk to people and find local information. I got very nice stories! I did missed though a book of meditations/ contemplations to do while on the Camino to help me integrate the process and learn more. I will recommend that.

There is also a Via de la Plata Facebook group with good resources. One of the organizers is in my local pilgrim's group.

Also, if you are looking for a good guide to the VDLP, you might have more luck posting in that forum rather than this Camino Frances forum.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back