• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Month to Walk in the Spring from Lisboa?

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I was planning to walk the CP in the fall of 2015. However, after reading the forum and talking with acquaintances who had walked, I get excited about walking and am moving up the date to spring 2015. I plan to walk from Lisboa, through Fatima, Porto, Santiago, ending in Muxia. I am retired and time is not an issue. What month is a good month to start my walk in Lisboa, April, May or June? It was easy for me to pick the month to walk the CF (2012) and VdLP (2014) by taking into account the weather, number of pilgrims etc... However, I can't seem to get similar information about the CP. Any thoughts, comments and suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Bom Caminho.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My wife walked our both caminos in the month of May.
Best chance for mild weather and you'll see the beautiful flowers blooming.
Our next camino in 2015 will be in May too.we love the spring season.
Read back on this forum about your plan to walk to Fátima. The other day there was information about it .
Bom caminho

I agree with Albertinho. May is a good bet for less rain than April and less heat than June. Maggie started walking in early May from Lisbon, I don't know if you've seen her blog but it is very informative and has great pictures as well. http://magwood.me/camino-portuguese/

The route to Fatima coincides with the Caminho from Lisboa until close to Santarem. I would ask Mario, the owner of the Hostel Santarem about lodging and routes from there to Fatima and back to the Camino. I think your options would be to either take a detour from the Caminho to visit Fatima from Santarem and back, or take a longer loop detour following the route to Fatima, and then continuing north from Fatima till where the Fatima path merges again with the Caminho, close to Coimbra. I think that option misses Tomar, which would be a pity, but I assume it is well marked.

There is a big surge of Fatima pilgrims in May on some established dates. There are a few threads on the forum describing it, and it will make accommodation difficult in spots. Again, Mario (who is a forum member) is a great source of information on the details. Bom caminho, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Hieudovan, May is a good choice as Laurie and Albertino already explained. If you plan to walk/visit Fatima please note May 13th is the miracle celebration day.
So the previous 3 or 5 days will be very busy and accommodation availability might be an issue.
If you want to be there on May 13th, plan your pilgrimage and book accommodation asap.
The caminho of Fatima and Santiago is the same till Santarém (Caminho do Tejo), where then Fatima caminho goes West and Santiago North direction.
If you plan to walk Santarem - Fátima (2 or 3 walking days) and then Santiago, you can find all information and maps on-line on this website
Note that their suggestion will end in a big detour.
If you are not a detour fan then my suggestion is Santarem - Fatima and then Tomar as it is the shortest detour.
Or, as many decide, walk the CP and in Santarem or Tomar take the bus, visit Fatima, came back and re-start the CP on the next day.
You will also have a rest day which is not a bad idea after the early 3 or 5 long stages ;)
Bom Caminho
Mario

Hi Hieudovan, May is a good choice as Laurie and Albertino already explained. If you plan to walk/visit Fatima please note May 13th is the miracle celebration day.
So the previous 3 or 5 days will be very busy and accommodation availability might be an issue.
If you want to be there on May 13th, plan your pilgrimage and book accommodation asap.
The caminho of Fatima and Santiago is the same till Santarém (Caminho do Tejo), where then Fatima caminho goes West and Santiago North direction.
If you plan to walk Santarem - Fátima (2 or 3 walking days) and then Santiago, you can find all information and maps on-line on this website
Note that their suggestion will end in a big detour.
If you are not a detour fan then my suggestion is Santarem - Fatima and then Tomar as it is the shortest detour.
Or, as many decide, walk the CP and in Santarem or Tomar take the bus, visit Fatima, came back and re-start the CP on the next day.
You will also have a rest day which is not a bad idea after the early 3 or 5 long stages ;)
Bom Caminho
Mario
That is a good suggestion Mario to stay at your place, go by bus to Fátima and return back to Santarèm and stay another night at your cosy place.
If I should start in Lisboa again I definitively should do that !
poderemos tocar a guitarra juntos :)
Um abraço disso lado do mundo

Albertinho e Nel Weterings
Roterdão Holanda

Last edited:
That is a good suggestion Mario to stay at your place, go by bus to Fátima and return back to Santarèm and stay another night at your cosy place.
If I should start in Lisboa again I definitively should do that !
poderemos tocar a guitarra juntos :)
Um abraço disso lado do mundo

Albertinho e Nel Weterings
Roterdão Holanda

Thanks Albertino, I do not play regularly for almost two years :(
But could give a try in an jam session where everything is possible ;)
Send my regards to Nel
Mario

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Caminho Portugese from Lisboa in 2013. I started April 17th and had wonderful weather. A little light drizzle as we approached Porto and some rain in Redonela. I did not visit Fatima (no time) but met many pilgrims walking there. I really enjoyed this caminho and hopefully will walk it again. Enjoy every step
Maura

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. If things go as planned, I will walk in May. Also thanks to all for the other information. I will look into the different options regarding Fatima, including walking the coast instead... Bom caminho.

I'd also say that making Fatima a side trip is a good idea, rather than detouring your Caminho walk. You won't meet many other Caminho pilgrims but, if you are like my wife and me, you would probably like to walk with them. Also, the Caminho route may have its challenges but I wouldn't like to miss out several days of the trail. Azinhaga, Golega, Atalaia, Tomar, and the smaller towns are too nice to miss. A day trip by bus from Lisbon was enough for my wife and myself. Doing the same from Tomar or Santarem may just even be a better idea.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back