• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What one guilty luxury item have you brought on the Camino?

Time of past OR future Camino
(SJPP - Finisterre)
Perhaps it weighed too much, or even the most in your pack, or perhaps you didn't really need it, but you brought it anyway and did not send it home or send it ahead.

The question: What one luxury item did you bring that most others probably left at home due to weight, etc.?

For example: iPad, hair dryer, a copy of Don Quixote, a DSLR, noise canceling headphones...whatever. What was it, if anything, and why did you bring it? And would you bring it next time? :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On all three caminos I have taken a small illuminated 15x magnifying mirror and tweezers. I hate straggly eyebrows and hate to think of the result after many weeks of not plucking. But I don't feel guilty about taking them - there are certain standards that have to be met - even on camino ;)

Perhaps not a luxury but certainly extra weight that I was glad to carry.
A New Testament with a blessing and a photograph of my late partner tucked inside. The Bible was given to me by a friend/colleague of my partner, who in his priestly role ministered to him during his last months of life.

Mini_Espresso.jpeg
Reading so much about cafe-con-leche :eek: in this forum (I am an Espresso-fan and hate milk-coffee), I brought along this cute tiny Espresso-maker (286 gr.) ...only to find out that excellent espresso is served all along the camino. Used the thingy only two- or three times but just could not part with it, nor did I wanted to throw away the pound of Columbian Arabica....carried both to SdC and back to home.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Perhaps not a luxury but certainly extra weight that I was glad to carry.
A New Testament with a blessing and a photograph of my late partner tucked inside. The Bible was given to me by a friend/colleague of my partner, who in his priestly role ministered to him during his last months of life.

Absolute Beauty
May Blessings rain down

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A real honest to goodness large towel, old and almost threadbare but I could not see myself using one of the small microfiber towels no matter how lightweight they were. And I would carry it again as I seem to have personal privacy issues, at least I found out that I had them on my camino.

......nor did I want to throw away the pound of Columbian Arabica....carried both to SdC and back to home.:D
You carried a pound of Arabica to Santiago and back home!! :confused: Now I don't feel so bad about packing my UV protection umbrella all the way also. I didn't have the nerve to weigh that umbrella until long after I returned home. It weighs a pound too.

After our normal" Summer"here in Ireland of warm horizontal rain, I am looking forward to my Camino in two weeks time and thinking of Not bringing an umbrella!!!!!!!
We live on the same patch of sod as you and have suffered this poor summer, like you, but I would take that umbrella with you. Our experience on the camino would inform us that the rain, when it comes, is on another level. Whilst last year we only had three hours of the wet stuff, 2011 was dfferent it took us five days to fully dry out after just five hours of rain in Navarra. I hope it all goes well for you on The Norte.

Perfume. I never put it in my packing list but somehow it creeps into my pack. It's a mystery.

I also admit to taking perfume - a small bottle from a cofret set, purchased especially for this purpose. I don't think of it as a luxury though, more an essential - and it appears on my packing list, weighing in at 22 grams.

I brought my Nook for reading. There is a lot of discussion about whether one should or should not, how much you will or will not read, etc. I read every single day - before bed, sometimes at lunch time, while relaxing on my bunk in the afternoon, taking a break along the trail, etc. A book I had been waiting for was released while I was on the Camino - I had pre-purchased it and was able to download it the day it was released :)

Another luxury item, which wasn't heavy or anything was a high thread count pillow case.

Dinner at the Carretas restaurant in Santiago!!!!
carretas.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I carried my iPad mini and will do so again. It allows me to post updates about our travels so that my elderly parents know that we're okay. It doesn't matter how old you get - Mom and Dad still worry! Aside from that I need to have a lipstick. I may not look any better but if I stay away from mirrors I can pretend that I do!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A small jar of Vegemite. I just love vegemite on toast, and its a good source of b vitamins. I shall carry it again I think, though sometimes I think I should carry nutella..... hmm it's a hard choice

..... I need to have a lipstick. I may not look any better but if I stay away from mirrors I can pretend that I do!
I remember as a very young woman having gone back home for a visit. I was sitting at the dressing table - remember those? - putting on some makeup. My brother passed by and said, "Don't bother, it doesn't help."

to all of you who cannot part with your perfume - please go gently - those of us who are sensitive to scents appreciate that! I ran into someone who must have taken a bath in hers and couldn't breathe well for hours. :(

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Right hand wrist in plaster cast! Broke the wrist the week before leaving, but I certainly couldn't have done without that cast!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
May 2015: Dayquil and NyQuil cold tablets, and Cipro... guess what my fear was? I got sick three times on my 2008 Camino...so I was ready in '15!

Expensive really good hair conditioner and face cream/moisturizer for my winter camino. Lesson learned from earlier caminos when my hair ended up like straw from the hard water and I got chapped dry skin from cold weather.

Ah the little bottle of perfume I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I always take a decent face cream (for the ravages of hot and cold weather) and my guiltiest pleasure is collecting items along the Way. Usually a scarf or two, bracelets, earrings etc. They make lovely souvenirs to take home but also breaks up the monotony of wearing the same clothes day in day out...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have to confess to taking... a little travel kettle! For some reason I thought it might not always be easy to get coffee first thing in hte morning and thought this might be an essential for boosting the old energy before setting off. Well - of course, coffee availability was almost never an issue! The kettle was used maybe three times, and stayed in the bag we sent ahead with Jacotrans. I definitely won't be taking it next time!

This was perhaps balanced by my (IMO;)) amazing self-control in avoiding buying any "stuff" along the way. This required extreme discipline at times - I have a thing for bags among other things, and saw many a beautiful item - but reminded myself that I would have to carry whatever I bought and so managed to resist. For some reason (and luckily!) it didn't occur to me that I could have posted home anything I bought. Didn't even enter my head. Sigh... There was a really lovely bag in that shop window I passed in Logrono...!

(Also took my Sony e-book reader, but don't consider reading a luxury and don't feel at all guilty about that!!)

Ah the little bottle of perfume I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I always take a decent face cream (for the ravages of hot and cold weather) and my guiltiest pleasure is collecting items along the Way. Usually a scarf or two, bracelets, earrings etc. They make lovely souvenirs to take home but also breaks up the monotony of wearing the same clothes day in day out...
Kat, if you like jewlery and pass by Oviedo when you do El Norte, visit "1 para mi" a local mini-chain that makes super affortable jewlery. Items are made locally, prices are low so that every one, even during an economic crisis could "have one for themselves", hence the name of the store. It's a lovely social economy project. They are also on line.

to all of you who cannot part with your perfume - please go gently - those of us who are sensitive to scents appreciate that! I ran into someone who must have taken a bath in hers and couldn't breathe well for hours. :(
then i might also add that all those who do not use deodorants or wash up properly:
"....those of us who are sensitive to scents appreciate that! I ran into someone who must have taken a bath in hers and couldn't breathe well for hours. :(" (i had that happen w/ a chap who reeked so badly, though well dressed etc, that for many minutes after he left the reception area the 'funk' still lingered and was truly breath-taking.)
all the colognes i use are not designer-perfumes that often are full of additives/preservatives and whatnot and can really overwhelm ones nose/sensitives. I can't use those either. But i still chose to use scents ....
point being: i'd say those who overdo scents are equally 'offensive' to sensitivities than those who don't 'deodorize'.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
then i might also add that all those who do not use deodorants or wash up properly

Whenever I read posts about the wonders of Merino wool and how it doesn't stink even with repeated wearings between washings, I think of the overly "fragrant" pilgrims I came across and wonder if they were multiple use wool shirt wearers :)

Carried chocolate from L'Atelier du Chocolat in St Jean Pied de Port over the Pyrenees to Roncevalles

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you! It was wonderful having my birthday dinner in St Jean Pied de Port before we left.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
View attachment 20071
Reading so much about cafe-con-leche :eek: in this forum (I am an Espresso-fan and hate milk-coffee), I brought along this cute tiny Espresso-maker (165 gr.) ...only to find out that excellent espresso is served all along the camino. Used the thingy only two- or three times but just could not part with it, nor did I wanted to throw away the pound of Columbian Arabica....carried both to SdC and back to home.:D
What brand/make is this? Would love to buy one of these

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A good hairbrush. Yes, it weighs more than the little collapsible kind, but I don't tear out half my hair every morning - and I don't end up with dreadlocks at the end of th e walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A good hairbrush. Yes, it weighs more than the little collapsible kind, but I don't tear out half my hair every morning - and I don't end up with dreadlocks at the end of th e walk.

Perhaps it weighed too much, or even the most in your pack, or perhaps you didn't really need it, but you brought it anyway and did not send it home or send it ahead.

The question: What one luxury item did you bring that most others probably left at home due to weight, etc.?

For example: iPad, hair dryer, a copy of Don Quixote, a DSLR, noise canceling headphones...whatever. What was it, if anything, and why did you bring it? And would you bring it next time? :)

I brought a small bottle of Dr. Broner's
peppermint soap which is my favorite
and which I promptly forgot in one of
the showers in Santa Catalina!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kat, if you like jewlery and pass by Oviedo when you do El Norte, visit "1 para mi" a local mini-chain that makes super affortable jewlery. Items are made locally, prices are low so that every one, even during an economic crisis could "have one for themselves", hence the name of the store. It's a lovely social economy project. They are also on line.

Oh that is wonderful thank you so much, I'll make sure to pop by and buy some jewellery for sure. That is a wonderful concept I'm most happy to support :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh that is wonderful thank you so much, I'll make sure to pop by and buy some jewellery for sure. That is a wonderful concept I'm most happy to support :)
It's on calle Uria, on the left hand side of the road if you are heading to the cathedral from the train station, perhaps 25% of the way down. They package the items in veautiful wooden boxes I always turn down because lf the Camino so they remember me every time I go. It really is a noce project to support. Glad you like it.

I took some hair "product" to tame my very fine hair, a scarf, pack of "UNO" cards, and a book. Mind you each time I read any of the book I would tear out the pages so it became lighter and lighter to carry as we went along! I LOVE reading and really enjoy the whole turn the pages thing.

A small jar of Vegemite. I just love vegemite on toast, and its a good source of b vitamins. I shall carry it again I think, though sometimes I think I should carry nutella..... hmm it's a hard choice
Promite has the B vits and is quite palatable, unlike the vile vegemite. Forum, discerning Aussies deplore vegemite!

Those of us who love our vegemite would have the rest of the world know that any other yeast extract is a pale, sugary, imitation.......

How did we get onto this?
The only people in the world who genuinely like vegemite were tricked into it as innocent trusting children. The same applies to natto. The UN should be looking into this. ;)

I usually don't carry a backpack, so lots! :) (Shame on me)

€83,-
The only people in the world who genuinely like vegemite were tricked into it as innocent trusting children. The same applies to natto. The UN should be looking into this. ;)

Marmite is the one to like .... :p

.... or not.

View attachment 20071
Reading so much about cafe-con-leche :eek: in this forum (I am an Espresso-fan and hate milk-coffee), I brought along this cute tiny Espresso-maker (165 gr.) ...only to find out that excellent espresso is served all along the camino. Used the thingy only two- or three times but just could not part with it, nor did I wanted to throw away the pound of Columbian Arabica....carried both to SdC and back to home.:D
Pano, I was thinking of bringing a hot-water coil and some Starbuck VIA instant coffee (it's quite good for an instant coffee). Thinking I need it before the cafes open. But I don't know what time they open. Maybe not needed after all?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pano, I was thinking of bringing a hot-water coil and some Starbuck VIA instant coffee (it's quite good for an instant coffee). Thinking I need it before the cafes open. But I don't know what time they open. Maybe not needed after all?
Hi Seabird
Coil and instant coffee....:( ? What a terrible way to start a day! Keep the stuff at home.
Cafe's usually open at 7am. (On a few occasions, I just walked a bit first to have my coffee and oven-warm croissant in the next village....still much more civilized than powder coffee. :D

Hi Seabird
Coil and instant coffee....:( ? What a terrible way to start a day! Keep the stuff at home.
Cafe's usually open at 7am. (On a few occasions, I just walked a bit first to have my coffee and oven-warm croissant in the next village....still much more civilized than powder coffee. :D
Well! That's a pretty definitive answer! I can certainly wait until 7 am, and yes, I do love fresh espresso.;)

Pfff where to begin

Ereader
Perfume (yes, men where this also)
Deodorant (if only everybody brought this)
2 microfiber towels
4 boxers
5 tshirts
A flashlight that outshines a car (yet still very lightweight)
Whey powder 1 to 1,5kg
Bleutooth speaker (again, although lightweight)

And so on.....

I remember as a very young woman having gone back home for a visit. I was sitting at the dressing table - remember those? - putting on some makeup. My brother passed by and said, "Don't bother, it doesn't help."
I've got one of those too

The one luxury item that I've never taken (because of weight and drying time) but always miss, is a proper, large, fluffy towel.

I carried a very very light weight stool on the outside of my ruck sack. I suffer from back/hip pain and cannot stand for too long. Walking not a problem. If I need to rest and there aren't any seats well....I would take it again. And it was handy to rest the ruck sack on.image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    933 KB · Views: 8
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
NO - it kept a large number of Aussie "kids" alive during the last years of the Great Depression and also during WWII when meat was rationed. Whilst I now have problems with the salty taste my mother says it was the one thing she could be sure I would eat from age 2 to age 5!!!!

But for me my luxury food for the first week at least will be the 1 kg of pistachios I will get in the duty free shop in Dubai (I am almost addicted to them)!!

Being an Aussie (with that Vegimite history) but please Starbuck's is not coffee - as the rest of the world knows it. I would rather water than that, so I agree wait until there is a cafe open and then stop for 5 minutes. Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Being an Aussie (with that Vegimite history) but please Starbuck's is not coffee - as the rest of the world knows it. I would rather water than that, so I agree wait until there is a cafe open and then stop for 5 minutes. Cheers
@Saint Mike II , if you believe Starbuck's is not coffee you have not had the fright of drinking non-SB served in the rest of the US. but yah, instant of any brand, especially considering what any little place in an tiny village in Spain serves, just wait to get the real stuff. Luxury becomes the time spent walking to get to your cafe con leche

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
NO - it kept a large number of Aussie "kids" alive during the last years of the Great Depression and also during WWII when meat was rationed. Whilst I now have problems with the salty taste my mother says it was the one thing she could be sure I would eat from age 2 to age 5!!!!

But for me my luxury food for the first week at least will be the 1 kg of pistachios I will get in the duty free shop in Dubai (I am almost addicted to them)!!

Impressed by the intensity of your devotion to the vile stuff, if not the claim as to its life-saving properties. Besides which WWII ended before even I was born so what's the justification now. Notice you don't defend it on taste :). With you on pistachios though. My absolute favourites were those big fat ones we used to get from Iran. Is that the kind in Dubai? The strain/s grown here and imported from the US aren't a patch IMO.

Nothing wrong with a nice starbucks double espresso if you ask me :)

Just all the sugary "coffee" drinks are awfull

With you on pistachios though. My absolute favourites were those big fat ones we used to get from Iran. Is that the kind in Dubai? The strain/s grown here and imported from the US aren't a patch IMO.
I am not sure where the ones sold in Dubai originate but strongly doubt they are locally grown so Iran would be a reasonable source. They are available in a variety of spice/flavours - plain (with salt) or chili and at least two others. I get 500 grms of the plain/salty and 500 of the others. They go well with a beer at the end of the day.
(We get them here in Oz but usually they are imported from both Iran and the US - interestingly).

€83,-
I adore peanut butter and am thinking about bringing a small jar with me. Just 2 tsps. a day will satisfy my addiction, but am still worried about the weight. Does peanut butter count as a luxury?

I adore peanut butter and am thinking about bringing a small jar with me. Just 2 tsps. a day will satisfy my addiction, but am still worried about the weight. Does peanut butter count as a luxury?
Lots of peanuts available at grocery stores. Not the same though? Chew, chew, chew, add sugar, chew, chew?

Nope, I'm pretty sure peanut butter does not count as a luxury. :)

Agg, I'm pretty tolerant and low maintenance, but all this talk of perfume makes me think I should always have a Plan B besides staying in an albergue, if it's full of scented people (along with people spraying "essential oils" as a placebo insecticide). I used to make fun of people who were sensitive to scents, until I became one.

I have never seen anybody spray around any "essential oils" and such.

I wish i've seen more people spray on some deodorant :) but i guess some go to the extreme when it comes to travelling as light as possible.

Leave the deodorant, take the brierley guide, leave the gun, take the cannoli (or peanut butter....which is a damn good idea)

Last edited:

€46,-
I love peanut butter, too, Jodean! I even found a light weight powdered product called PB2 that I'll be bringing. I'm vegan so it'll not only be comforting, but also potentially lifesaving during those stretches of the Camino where I'm having trouble finding non-animal product protein.

@JillGat my perfume bottle is very very tiny, and on Camino it only goes on for special occasions, and then we are likely staying in a hotel. I would not worry too much about perfume in the albergues. Except perhaps the rich aroma of bicyclists (sorry @Saint Mike II ) in sweaty Lycra.

The fresh scent of sweat while someone is exercising isn't that bad. But my dream is that everyone uses soap and water - on themselves and their dirtiest clothes - at the end of the day and fragrance-free deodorant. So would everybody get the word out on the Camino before I head out next May? :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Its not the fresh sweat that smells, its the (several) day old sweat. Brrr.

Hey for all of you who have been mocking Vegimite! I suggest you review the commentary from the NFL San Francisco v Dallas (it was a preliminary game), when commenting on performance of Australian Rugby League player Jarryd Hayne. One suggested that if Hayne continued to "star" then everyone in the commentary box would be eating Vegimite!!! (I think he was overstating the situation!?)

€83,-
Starbucks is not my favorite chain (Peet's Coffee is better), but the "rest of the world" seems to drink Starbucks anyway. Sometimes you just gotta drink what's available.....

Nope, eating peanuts is not the same thing at all. :)
I love the crunch of roasted peanuts. Introduced the young grandkids to the natural product recently. They viewed them with suspicion. After demonstrating how to shell and remove the redskins, I instructed them to chew the nuts with their molars and promised it would taste like peanut butter. They were amazed - you're right Granny, they taste just like peanut butter! Now it's a tossup whether they ask for the nuts or the pb on jatz.

Those of us who love our vegemite would have the rest of the world know that any other yeast extract is a pale, sugary, imitation.......

How did we get onto this?
My kids love it l, they are obviously natives

Lol…heating pad

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back