• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Other Cuisine would you Like to See on the Camino Frances?

What Other Cuisine would You Love to Come Across on the CF (Pick 3)

• Indian

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Chinese

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Japanese

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Italian

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Thai

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • Mexican

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Greek

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • French

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • English

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Arab

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK, this is not overly serious. More curiosity. Every now and then my 'dearly beloved' comes up with the idea of starting a restaurant / cafe. She loves to cook. And even if I say so my self, is darn good at it. Hence me being 15 kgs overweight!

You can see where this is headed......

So whilst we all love the food along the Camino Frances, it can get a a bit 'samey' and let's face it, Pilgrim menus can all start to look alike after a while..... This is not a debate of Spanish Cuisine, but rather, What Other Cuisines would you love to see now and again to provide a bit of a change. Now before some of you get upset that your country's cuisine is not included in the list..........I can only put 10 on the Poll.

And some countries I think you would agree, don't really have a clearly identifiable 'Cuisine' as they are more a 'melting pot' of foods based on their largely immigrant based history.

So with that said, pick three from the list that you would be delighted to come across to give your taste buds a change and a boost! And oh................before the veggies and vegans chime in, all of these can have those options too 🙂

I have selected the Camino Frances as it's the most busy. A good place to start up a cafe.......
If one was inclined to do so :rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But if you'd said 'Vegetarian' that would have gotten a vote.
Agreed. The glaring omission is vegetarian. And the gratuitous "let me stir up some controversy," option is "English."

If it were an option, I'd vote for vegetarian, not because I'm vegetarian but because the range of vegetable dishes in many pilgrim menus is lacking and.I would surely take a vegetarian option sometimes if it were on the menu. I remember at times not hankering for Italian or Chinese or Indian food so much as I was hankering for a pilgrim menu that allowed me to substitute say, ratatouille or grilled vegetables for fries. I know, I know, I can get salad instead of fries.

I'd also vote for all plastic-wrapped "madeleines" to be replaced with fresh-baked goods.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Agreed. The glaring omission is vegetarian. And the gratuitous "let me stir up some controversy," option is "English."

Not intentional I assure you!
It actually appeared on a few lists of top 10 Cuisines which surprised me too.......
Could only have been the Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding!

Last edited:
I only voted for 2.
But if you'd said 'Vegetarian' that would have gotten a vote. (I'm not fond of Indian food, so it didn't get my vote, though it often is vegetarian...)

I'm afraid I took the perspective of a 'Cuisine' as having a country/culture of origin.
But in 'La Casa Pat' there would of course be vegetarian / vegan options.. ;) ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A What! :oops:
It looks like a heart attack on a plate! :eek:
They are truly magnificent... I'm sure I had some pleasant times on the CP but to be honest my main recollections involve these cheese covered delights... Hmmm, when I see my thoughts written down I start to think I should take this Camino thing more seriously... What I lack in profundity I make up for in calories!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think that there is already plenty of past and pizza available on the Camino. Pasta is often one of the first plate options in a pilgrim meal.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
OK, this is not overly serious. More curiosity. Every now and then my 'dearly beloved' comes up with the idea of starting a restaurant / cafe. She loves to cook. And even if I say so my self, is darn good at it. Hence me being 15 kgs overweight!

So whilst we all love the food along the Camino Frances, it can get a a bit 'samey' and let's face it, Pilgrim menus can all start to look alike after a while..... This is not a debate of Spanish Cuisine, but rather, What Other Cuisines would you love to see now and again to provide a bit of a change. Now before some of you get upset that your country's cuisine is not included in the list..........I can only put 10 on the Poll.

And some countries I think you would agree, don't really have a clearly identifiable 'Cuisine' as they are more a 'melting pot' of foods based on their largely immigrant based history.

So with that said, pick three from the list that you would be delighted to come across to give your taste buds a change and a boost! And oh................before the veggies and vegans chime in, all of these can have those options too 🙂

I have selected the Camino Frances as it's the most busy. A good place to start up a cafe.......
Oatmeal 🙂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And a francesinha !!! I could live off those beauties !!!

You will be happy to know that Spain, or at least parts of it, have a dish that rivals the francesinha, it’s called the cachopo.

TexMex
Fajita Tacos
Carne Guisada
Tacos
Guacamole
Tortilla Soup
Tacos
Burritos,not to be confused with chimichangas..which are different animals from different styles of food dependent on which border state your at
Menudo
Caldo,chicken or beef
Tacos
Seafood al la veracruzano..think citrus added
Tacos..if it fits..it sits...

Honorary mention to Cajun blackened seafood

TexMex
Fajita Tacos
Carne Guisada
Tacos
Guacamole
Tortilla Soup
Tacos
Burritos,not to be confused with chimichangas..which are different animals from different styles of food dependent on which border state your at
Menudo
Caldo,chicken or beef
Tacos

All great menu items, though my post was hoping to gauge the preference for certain cuisines rather than specif dishes ;)

So would it be OK if you I put you down as liking.............Mexican. 🤔

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's hard to define certain cuisine. For example mediterranean cuisine is in more than 10 countries. But then again traditional couisines are different from country to country. In some they use more pork or goat or sheep meat. It's not by the country I'd say as you mentioned in the OP about melting pot of immigrants brought ways of cooking. Also religion. But yes the question was about CF and I was commenting on the poll...

I mean what's Italian cousine? We have some of this in Slovenia. Is it Slovenian or is it Italian? I believe Spanish prepare some of the seafood the same way as in Croatia. So which cuisine is it? I think it's more dependable on the region than on the actual border between countries.

But OTOH I know and understand what you wanted and I did cast my vote :)

I'd actually like to see more regional Spanish cuisine on the camino. I remember one of the few disappointments of my first camino was the lack of good, fresh gazpacho which to me seems like a perfect camino lunch for a hot day.

As an Englishman for whom kebab shops are only to be visited after drinking more than is entirely wise I'm surprised by the attitude people seem to have to them in Spain where they seem rather more upmarket.

Obviously a decent burger king... Not overly prevalent.. just every 20km or so...
<<Surely this won't attract comments>>
Surely the phrase "Decent BurgerKing" is an Oxymoron? Maccy D's everytime. You can judge the character of a man by the choices he makes in life, Coke rather than Pepsi, EasyJet never Ryanair, Brown Sauce over Red Sauce. Green top milk not Blue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's hard to define certain cuisine. For example mediterranean cuisine is in more than 10 countries. But then again traditional couisines are different from country to country. In some they use more pork or goat or sheep meat. It's not by the country I'd say as you mentioned in the OP about melting pot of immigrants brought ways of cooking. Also religion. But yes the question was about CF and I was commenting on the poll...

I mean what's Italian cousine? We have some of this in Slovenia. Is it Slovenian or is it Italian? I believe Spanish prepare some of the seafood the same way as in Croatia. So which cuisine is it? I think it's more dependable on the region than on the actual border between countries.

But OTOH I know and understand what you wanted and I did cast my vote :)

I know what you mean.

So many cuisines are 'exported' and/or changed it's hard to know what the Original ones might be like at times.

For example.........

There must be 5,000 Thai Restaurants in Australia and I have visited quite a few. I have only found one that serves Authentic Thai food. Most 'adapt' the recipe to suit local tastes here in Australia.

I think that must happen a lot.

Indian food seems to stand up fairly well to being 'exported'. But we have 'little India' close to us at home and the food there is fantastic. Just like in India. (Yep, tried the real stuff)

Pizza! Occasionally we might order one here in Sydney. But have you tasted one in Italy?
Wow............so different and so tastey, yet so simple.......

Chinese. Ever tried it in China? (I have only tried in Hong Kong). Nothing like the stuff we get here in Australia.

Japanese? That seems to travel better........ at least here.

Italian. Can't comment. Probably my least favourite Cuisine. I mean.......it's all just different shaped pasta with different sauces! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I obviously don't 'get it'....... 😞

Surely the phrase "Decent BurgerKing" is an Oxymoron? Maccy D's everytime. You can judge the character of a man by the choices he makes in life, Coke rather than Pepsi, EasyJet never Ryanair, Brown Sauce over Red Sauce. Green top milk not Blue.
Oh if only life were so simple! Have you ever been in a MacDonalds where the food looks anything like the pictures on the wall? And what IS that stodgy white stuff they put the patty in? Pepsi (obs!); EasyJet without doubt but brown or red sauce . . . brown on a dog roll but red on a bacon sarnie. More calcium in green top so yep. ;)

I'd actually like to see more regional Spanish cuisine on the camino. I remember one of the few disappointments of my first camino was the lack of good, fresh gazpacho which to me seems like a perfect camino lunch for a hot day.

As an Englishman for whom kebab shops are only to be visited after drinking more than is entirely wise I'm surprised by the attitude people seem to have to them in Spain where they seem rather more upmarket.
Agreed that gazpacho is a delightful, regional dish. The trouble is that the region is Andalusia. OK if you're on a southern Camino though.

Agreed that gazpacho is a delightful, regional dish. The trouble is that the region is Andalusia. OK if you're on a southern Camino though.

Sorry, I maybe wasn't clear, I meant regional dishes from around Spain. It just hadn't occurred to me that they'd be so parochial, it seems tantamount to only selling Cornish Pasties in Cornwall.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Italian. Can't comment. Probably my least favourite Cuisine. I mean.......it's all just different shaped pasta with different sauces! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I obviously don't 'get it'.......

No, you don’t :) Italian cuisine is so much more than pasta:
Saltimbocca
Vitello tonnato
Varieties of Risotto
Osso buco
Porchetta
….. just to mention a very few that make my mouth water :p

TexMex
Fajita Tacos
Carne Guisada
Tacos
Guacamole
Tortilla Soup
Tacos
Menudo
Caldo,chicken or beef
Tacos

Esto pica ?
No no pica nada jefe.
Pero nada, nada, nada ?
Bueno, solo un poquito.

Mcds over burger king? For a moment I thought I was talking to a man that had clearly lost his mind.. but then you come back with green top and brown sauce and sanity is resumed. In true camino spirit I will open myself up to new experiences and spend the next month eating nothing but mcds to test your theory. (I draw the line at nuggets though.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No, you don’t :) Italian cuisine is so much more than pasta:
Saltimbocca
Vitello tonnato
Varieties of Risotto
Osso buco
Porchetta
….. just to mention a very few that make my mouth water :p

Yea Yea..........OK.......I forgot those ;) ;)

Mcds over burger king? For a moment I thought I was talking to a man that had clearly lost his mind.. but then you come back with green top and brown sauce and sanity is resumed. In true camino spirit I will open myself up to new experiences and spend the next month eating nothing but mcds to test your theory. (I draw the line at nuggets though.)

You could always turn over a new leaf and go for the healthy (healthier) option @andywild .
Fillet of Fish! Or Fillet of Fush for the Kiwis....... ;);)

You could always turn over a new leaf and go for the healthy (healthier) option @andywild .
Fillet of Fish! Or Fillet of Fush for the Kiwis....... ;);)
I hope things never get to the fillet of fish stage... It's bad enough that they sneak those green pickles into the burgers.. what with the ketchup and the onion that's 3 of your 5 a day... I blame the government... Pushing all this healthy stuff on us... Next they'll be saying that cigarettes are bad for you.. pah!! ..<<walks away still mumbling about fish and governments>>

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry, I maybe wasn't clear, I meant regional dishes from around Spain. It just hadn't occurred to me that they'd be so parochial, it seems tantamount to only selling Cornish Pasties in Cornwall.
Good lord yes. I once asked for Pacharan in a bar only to be told (nicely) that I was Galicia and not Navarra! I should drink Orujo!
(And yes, I know you CAN get Pacharan in Galicia, just not in that bar!)

No, thanks. Usually it's very badly made - soggy, bland, and unimaginative. That's not Italian cuisine. Nor is the bad frozen pizza you get most places on the Francés.

I had one of the best pizzas in my life in Belorado at Cuatro Cantones (and I am picky about good pizza). But you're right, usually it's terrible!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had one of the best pizzas in my life in Belorado at Cuatro Cantones (and I am picky about good pizza).
In defense of Cuatro Cantones in Belorado: they also serve alubias rojas, morcilla de Burgos (our first encounter with it) and other non-global food. I had something that translates as "pork cheeks" into English. I wasn't certain what the menu item was (in Spanish - carrilladas?) but the description provided by the server made it sound promising. It turned out to be delicious. One of the better pilgrim haunts on the CF, imho.

I can't help it ... eating at restaurants that serve food that is not typical for the region or country feels alright in the UK and the US and wherever I happen to live but not when visiting other countries ...

Last edited:
In defense of Cuatro Cantones in Belorado: they also serve alubias rojas, morcilla de Burgos (our first encounter with it) and other non-global food. I had something that translates as "pork cheeks" into English. I wasn't certain what the menu item was (in Spanish - carrilladas?) but the description provided by the server made it sound promising. It turned out to be delicious. One of the better pilgrim haunts on the CF, imho.

I can't help it ... eating at restaurants that serve food that is not typical for the region or country feels alright in the UK and the US and wherever I happen to live but not when visiting other countries ...
Stayed in the Cuarto Cantones in 2003 and cooked . . . paella! Got the thumbs up from our hostess although it "needed a bit more salt". A German lady described it as "a mishmash"; a Spanish lady told her off saying it was her country's national dish (and that I was brave even to attempt it!)

Good lord yes. I once asked for Pacharan in a bar only to be told (nicely) that I was Galicia and not Navarra! I should drink Orujo!
(And yes, I know you CAN get Pacharan in Galicia, just not in that bar!)
I have been refused a tinto de verano at two different bars in Galicia. They would sell me the components separately, but would not make it for me.

€83,-
I have been refused a tinto de verano at two different bars in Galicia. They would sell me the components separately, but would not make it for me.
If you want to see real disdain from bar staff order a Kalimotxo on the French side of the border!

They are truly magnificent... I'm sure I had some pleasant times on the CP but to be honest my main recollections involve these cheese covered delights... Hmmm, when I see my thoughts written down I start to think I should take this Camino thing more seriously... What I lack in profundity I make up for in calories!!

My stomach hurts just reading the description....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All Cuisines can have a vegetarian or vegan option surely ?
Theoretically. But practically?
Look at Spanish cuicine.:eek:

And if the owner of a reataurant isn't vegetarian (or at least sympatico to that), the vegetarian offering may be non-existant or very limited.

Thai is my #1 vote.

For anyone arriving in Santiago...there is a wonderful new little pizzeria called Masa-Pizza al Corte in the Praza de Cervantes. Fresh and delicious with exceptional vegetarian and vegan options.
B2605604-1056-487D-B493-0DF0F2A2830D.jpeg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since so many Korean pilgrims are walking these days, I imagine a Chimaek shop will be very popular on the trail. And Patbingsu for dessert, anyone? oh yum!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Since so many Korean pilgrims are walking these days, I imagine a Chimaek shop will be very popular on the trail. And Patbingsu for dessert, anyone? oh yum!
How about some Pajeon, Bibimbap or Shabu Shabu? And yes to Patbingsu for dessert!

I would like to see more real home cooked authentic Spanish food on the Camino. On a long walk this year I can only remember a handful of albergues that served a good simple Spanish meal. Soup, main, dessert. Personally my thoughts are that the Spanish are doing themselves a disservice serving cheap pilgrim meals filled with french fries and other cheap carbs instead of promoting Spanish food culture. Surely a bowl of lentil soup is cheaper to make than a portion of store bought pasta and sauce.

€83,-
We had a great meal on the Finisterre route with a hearty lentil soup (easy enough to do a veg version), tortilla with a green salad, fresh bread and a simple cake for dessert. It was delicious.
Yeah, well...in most restaurants, that's the extent of the vegetarian food on offer - and usually without the lentil soup because it's made with pork. Delicious it is. Until the Nth time. (Homemade tortilla is an exception, and you can tell the difference. That's delicious without exception.)

All the vegetarian people in Spain no doubt eat at home - or live in big cities where there are good vegetarian restaurants.

Yeah, well...in most restaurants, that's the extent of the vegetarian food on offer - and usually without the lentil soup because it's made with pork. Delicious it is. Until the Nth time. (Homemade tortilla is an exception, and you can tell the difference. That's delicious without exception.)

All the vegetarian people in Spain no doubt eat at home - or live in big cities where there are good vegetarian restaurants.

I am advocating for simple, healthy authentic Spanish cuisine. If someone chooses not to eat it because of their personal dietary choices that is not an issue for the establishment. It's their problem.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’d like:

1. A baked potato.

2. A hamburger sans oil on lettuce.

3. More lentils. Seriously, I love Spanish lentil
soup.

4. Paella without seafood: Um, um good.

5. Popsicle lamb chops.

These are my wishes.

Buen camino.

€46,-

As a religious Jew who keeps kosher I am limited to grocery store cuisine. It would be nice to see a kosher restaurant.

So whilst we all love the food along the Camino Frances, it can get a a bit 'samey'

You are talking about french fries here I presume...

First night in SJPP - the "tortilla" was made from left-over french fries (never going there again!) and post-Roncesvalles, I tended to leave them on my plate untouched...

One of the best meals in two caminos was in Salceda - pork shank, gravy and loads of mashed potato - worth a third CF just for that!!!!

I got a bit embarrassed on day 62 of my camino when, though tired, I tried a few fries and found them the best I had in two months. I told the waitress that but added that I just could not stand to eat them (in limited Spanish). She said her mother made them and brought me into the kitchen to talk to her. :oops:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you want to see real disdain from bar staff order a Kalimotxo on the French side of the border!

I assure you that bar staff throughout Spain will show that same degree of disdain for the kalimotxo-lover-- I was told that it was a drink beloved of Spanish 15-year-old males who, like many adolescents, are still developing their taste buds.

I may have been luckier than some posters, as I have usually eaten very well in Spain. However, I normally order the menu de dia, and sometimes a la carta, rather than the menu de peregrino, which is designed to provide basic nutrition at low cost. However, after 32 days of exquisite seafood along the del Norte (raya! lubina! rodaballo!), I was psychotically happy to see a notice from Pilgrim House on FB that they were offering a Mexican dinner for a special event. It was prepared by the cheerful students working there and was very memorable.

I should note that I have twice eaten at Chinese restaurants in Spain and the food was reminiscent of Chinese Canadian cuisine of the 1970s. Perhaps we should just enjoy being in Spain and save our ethnic food cravings for Canadian cities.

First night in SJPP - the "tortilla" was made from left-over french fries (never going there again!) and post-Roncesvalles, I tended to leave them on my plate untouched...

One of the best meals in two caminos was in Salceda - pork shank, gravy and loads of mashed potato - worth a third CF just for that!!!!

Not just the fries...........
Sometimes there is not a lot of variation with Pilgrim menus.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back