• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What part of Porto does the coastal route start from? My first camino and looking to book lodging before s

rowdygirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (2019)
My first camino (Porto to Santiago along the coastal route) and need to book lodging in Porto. Can anyone recommend a great place to stay close to the cathedral and starting point? Also looking for recommendations in Santiago when finished. Thanks in advance as I am feeling like I totally don't know what I am doing!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Rowdy, you will love Porto! Make sure you spend a day there before you start walking, the city is amazing! :)

I usually book private rooms for my first and last days (to recover from the long flight and to rest from the walk), but it depends on what you like and I am sure that here in the forum people will have great suggestions.

I really enjoyed Hotel Moov Centro, in the Old city - price of an Ibis hotel, but with lovely service. I also heard lovely things about the Poets Inn, near the Torre dos Clerigos, in the very middle of the old city.

For Santiago, there are so many options. Last time I stayed in Hotel San Clemente and was treated like a queen :)

Do you have a Camino Portugues guidebook yet? If not, get one. Can be quite helpful in seeing where various accommodations are in towns and cities and their proximity to the Camino route.
As far as recommendations on places to stay in Porto and Santiago, what is your preference and budget in regards to accommodations?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed at The Poet's Inn...next to the Clergy Tower. It was great having the tower to help navigate around Porto and very easy to find the coastal route from there. Just walk to the river, and with the river on your left walk...you'll be out at the ocean. The Portuguese Route was extremely well marked this past September, but a tad crowded. There were a few instances with pilgrims turned away because alb urges were filled. If it's in your camino philosophy call ahead...and do stay at Casa Fernanda!

My first camino (Porto to Santiago along the coastal route) and need to book lodging in Porto. Can anyone recommend a great place to stay close to the cathedral and starting point? Also looking for recommendations in Santiago when finished. Thanks in advance as I am feeling like I totally don't know what I am doing!

As for lodging in Santiago...it depends what you are looking for, but there is a 4th floor at Hospidera San Martin Pinario ( an otherwise 4 star hotel ) which is largely an floor of very humble rooms set aside for pilgrims ( part of the old rooms in the monastery ). You can call or email to reserve a 'pilgrim room'...$25EU for a single , private room with private bath and breakfast. I know from staying there several times that there are rooms with 2, 3, 4 beds as well on that floor, but I'm not aware of what the rate would be.

I liked it because of location...directly across from Cathedral, and it's historical significance...and it was really a nice way to end my camino in a humble but clean private room...perfect setting to process your journey.

The first you'll find at the Cathedral. If you ask for the Sào Bento railwaystation-walk insde , beautiful with blue and white Portuguese tiles-you see the cathdral from there

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The official starting poing in Porto is the cathedral near Sao Bento train station. So its always easy to get there.
It's mainly empty now for reconstruction, but you can get your pilgrims passport (credencial) there. You will see several yellow arrows in the plaza but I am not sure if they show you clearly the turn for the coast. Its also some work to look for the arrows inside the city. They can be hidden by people, cars, trashbins etc. Blue arrows guide you to Fatima (opposite direction)
I have two favourite ways out of town. One is taking the metro to Mercado very close to the bridge to Matosinhos. On the bridge you will find the arrows to continue. You should get as far as Vila do Conde the first day. If you have more time and you like to walk "all", just walk down to the river any stairs/streets you want and continue along the river / sea till Matosinhos. First stop might be in Angeiras (camp site) or Labruge.

I am not a fan for camino guide books anymore. Wayfinding becomes automatic. You just follow the arrows and only sometimes you have an alternative route. That's usually discussed with other pilgrims the day before, so you know it as well. Most guides tell you every etappe almost the same location as starting/end point That's why these places are packed with people and at least sometimes my body doesn't agree with the distance.
I need to hear my soul and body while walking. I like to have a list with accomodation along the route to decide what distance I'd like to walk today. Maybe that "plan" will change during the day cause of weather, nice places, people ....

Most hotels and pensions in Santiago are located close to the historic centre, which is easy to walk and mainly pedrestian area. The only disadvantage of the centre may be loud partying people late at night or even early morning. Sometimes it's better to choose another location close to train or bus station or to the airport bus just to get one of it in the early hours. Big albergues are not very centric, but they keep the camino style a bit longer and have a (sometimes basic) kitchen. Within the last years hostel prices have risen (10-20€), while pensions remained almost at the same level (20€ ++), so it's not really a economic reason to stay in a shared room anymore.
With some prebooking even the Parador hotel at the cathedral square is not overpriced for a 5* hotel. Lets say it's a unique experience and a great location, but sure not for everyone.

To get on the coastal caminho from the Sé cathedral go down the stairs. The cathedral is built on a hill and keep on decending untill the river is at your left. Keep following the river at your left untill the ocean. Keep the ocean at your left too. A beautiful walk .along the ocean you will find the waymarkers. Follow them. If you get lost ( hardly impossible) ask for "a paragem Mercado" the metro stop Mercado or the busstation (estação de autocarros) you will then face the Leixões harbourbridge in front of you.
Cross the bridge to the left and walk in the direction of the ocean. Just before you turn right to the oceanboulevard at your left is the tourist info where you can get a stamp and information about the caminho.
Once at the oceanside, just walk straight on to Angeiras where at the Orbitur camping you can stay the night in a nice summerhouse. Show your credential at the info desk and get pilgrimsdiscount . On the campsite is a restaurant.. for "pequeno almoço or café da manha" breakfast go to one of the coffee bars just around in the small hamlet of Angeiras.
Futher on , you'll arrive in Vila do Conde
Cross the bridge and turn twice to the right so you walk UNDER the bridge to the other side and you are on the waymarked coastal trail .
If you turn right once and keep following the river and cross the metro track ,you are on the waymarked trail to São Pedro de Rates and the central caminho to Barcelos, Vitirino dos Piães (Casa da Fernanda) , Ponte de Lima, Rubiães and Valença do Minho to Tui in Spain.

Passa bem e bom caminho

Similar question, so hoping there is a reply or two!

My first time walking also, though I did plan one year only to learn it was a holy year, and soon realized my solo walk would be exceptionally crowded ;).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m doing the route from Porto end of May and made reservation at Downtown Hostel. Near the cathedral. I’ve been to Santiago 3 times and can recommend San Martin. The location can’t be beat. I also stayed in PR Libredon that was very nice and could almost touch the catheter from my window.

I know that for those that are staring in Porto, this may not be a favored suggestion but the initial couple of miles is just walking through Porto. You can have a shorter walk (or get farther along the coastal) by just taking the tram from Sao Bento station stop to Matosinhos (I believe it's the Mercado stop). You get off the tram and go across the bridge towards the ocean. There are arrows that direct you after the bridge. That saves about 12K of street walking. If you like cityscapes, then the 12K is for you.

Do you have a Camino Portugues guidebook yet? If not, get one. Can be quite helpful in seeing where various accommodations are in towns and cities and their proximity to the Camino route.
As far as recommendations on places to stay in Porto and Santiago, what is your preference and budget in regards to accommodations?
Looking for somewhere close to the cathedral in the 7
Hi Rowdy, you will love Porto! Make sure you spend a day there before you start walking, the city is amazing! :)

I usually book private rooms for my first and last days (to recover from the long flight and to rest from the walk), but it depends on what you like and I am sure that here in the forum people will have great suggestions.

I really enjoyed Hotel Moov Centro, in the Old city - price of an Ibis hotel, but with lovely service. I also heard lovely things about the Poets Inn, near the Torre dos Clerigos, in the very middle of the old city.

For Santiago, there are so many options. Last time I stayed in Hotel San Clemente and was treated like a queen :)
Thank you for your kind help!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looking for somewhere close to the cathedral in the 7

Thank you for your kind help!
You might research places to stay for both Porto and Santiago on trip advisor or booking.com. They show where the accommodation would be in relation to the cathedrals in both cities. If you are planning your Camino walk during the busier times with more pilgrims on the routes, and you know exactly what dates you will be staying in both cities, I recommend you make advance reservations.

>I recommend you make advance reservations.
Yes, especially for San Martin (Pinario) mentioned by Gloria. It's 2* on hrs.com but still a good location (a Hospedaria does not really compares to xx star Hotel) . About 10 years ago, when it was not published in the guide books I could stay there, but in the last couple of years I only heard "no place left" when I passed by (mostly low season, not summer!)

Porto has some pilgrim albergues now. If you want to know the people on the way, that's your place. Taking in mind that pilgrims in Porto sleep there even on their last night before going home and some starting towards Fatima, Braga or Rates the meeting spot is not as perfect as e.g. Saint Jean and Roncesvalles, but maybe you can't get other ideas for future caminos. None is close to the cathedral, but a ~2km walk from https://albergueperegrinosporto.pt is still bearable. It's near Lapa Metro and can be reached following the arrows for the central route.

Tram/Metro: If you miss Metro stop Mercado you can get off at the next and final stop and walk some meters back.

@BCzich: Which year do you call holy and for what reason? The next holy year of Santiago is 2021. The last was 2010. Summer makes the crowds along the coast, but the high season is only July and August. Bathing is nice from June to mid October.

Last edited:
As for lodging in Santiago...it depends what you are looking for, but there is a 4th floor at Hospidera San Martin Pinario ( an otherwise 4 star hotel ) which is largely an floor of very humble rooms set aside for pilgrims ( part of the old rooms in the monastery ). You can call or email to reserve a 'pilgrim room'...$25EU for a single , private room with private bath and breakfast. I know from staying there several times that there are rooms with 2, 3, 4 beds as well on that floor, but I'm not aware of what the rate would be.

I liked it because of location...directly across from Cathedral, and it's historical significance...and it was really a nice way to end my camino in a humble but clean private room...perfect setting to process your journey.
Thanks for that info Sophie, that sound really lovely. I just sent them an email :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know that for those that are staring in Porto, this may not be a favored suggestion but the initial couple of miles is just walking through Porto. You can have a shorter walk (or get farther along the coastal) by just taking the tram from Sao Bento station stop to Matosinhos (I believe it's the Mercado stop). You get off the tram and go across the bridge towards the ocean. There are arrows that direct you after the bridge. That saves about 12K of street walking. If you like cityscapes, then the 12K is for you.
The walk along the Duro River to Matosinhos is a wonderful walk. I have seen this advice many times, but certainly wouldn't agree. I have to wonder if those suggesting it did not walk along the river.

Hi the cathedral is easy to find. From there I saw some fellow pilgrims studying their guides and then arguing over where to go. It’s simple . Down the hill you go and have first the river then the ocean to your left and land to your right. It’s easy and so beautiful. Remember you make the way not the guide. In Portugal the big Lidle have coffee shops inside and a bathroom. Just ask for the 🔑. The people were so friendly and I had my first compliment from a fisher at the river. Ah yes I no more nineteen and I do not speak Portuguese. So good luck.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@abigail: choose an ordinary booking site and look for you favorite location in Santiago city centre. I would not look further than the Seminario Menor de Belvis, train and maybe bus station which are still OK to walk distances . If you don't need to touch the cathedral from your room, you will find a lot of places inside the historic city centre. And San Martin could still offer reasonable prices for tourist rooms, so you still have a chance to stay there (the entrance is only 20m to the cathedral, but I thing you can't see it from the rooms). Anyway you can pass by for having a meal.

The walk along the Duro River to Matosinhos is a wonderful walk. I have seen this advice many times, but certainly wouldn't agree. I have to wonder if those suggesting it did not walk along the river.
It's probably all around the forum, but not in this thread yet. "Wonderful" seems a bit overrated, but compared to other options it is easy to walk, save and not too much detour for a first day. I can imagine worse things than seeing some part of the city from the looking up perspective, having views to the river with its bridges and later of some castles and the sea. When I walked there I had a good amount of other pilgrims ahead of me, which gives the route a special touch as well.
Later on the way you will have some streches along small cobblestone roads without any sideboard, which is much more annoying and dangerous (sooner or later it's the same on all ways out of Porto, so you have to accept that anyway). And missing the arrows in town is easy. You can spend a good amount of time to find them. Of course anyone could skip this part, but many people think that's some kind of cheating.

I can highly recommend the passenger hostel right in the train station.

Hi Rowdy

Hi Rowdygirl

You may find this website of interest re. accommodation and other planning
ideas:

The website does not have an English language option but using Chrome’s translation tool is a good alternative.

Bom Caminho

man.grangeburn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
San martin in Santiago is great yet affordable. If you're in the mood to spend a bit more and enjoy luxury in Santiago. The Hotel Montenegro is really nice and super clean.

Enjoy !

Hi Rowdygirl

I did my first Camino 2017 and also started from the Cathedral Se do Porto. I find using AirBnb the best solution to get a place to sleep close to the Cathedral. The train station Porto Sao Bento is very close to the Cathedral (about 400m) . You can select between about 70 different AirBnb places to stay between the station and the cathedral.

Hallo rowdygirl,

we slept in The Porto lounge and Guesthouse and it was very nice.

Very easy to get to this place from the airport by public transport and around 10 - 15 minutes to the cathedral.

All the best for ouy.

Michael

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi the cathedral is easy to find. From there I saw some fellow pilgrims studying their guides and then arguing over where to go. It’s simple . Down the hill you go and have first the river then the ocean to your left and land to your right. It’s easy and so beautiful. Remember you make the way not the guide. In Portugal the big Lidle have coffee shops inside and a bathroom. Just ask for the 🔑. The people were so friendly and I had my first compliment from a fisher at the river. Ah yes I no more nineteen and I do not speak Portuguese. So good luck.
[/QUO
We just finished the Frances a week ago and afterward spent a week in Lisboa and Porto. The Portuguese are kind people and we found most speak English.
The Camino=the time of our 69 year old lives-everyday we were grateful to be there. Planning for next years trip.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back