• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What part of the Camino from Lisbon to Porto is worth seeing?

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2022 Frances September 2023 Portuguese
Hello, really enjoy this forum. I am traveling to Lisbon in August, then have some extra time to get up to Porto, and thought I could do part of the Camino Between Lisbon and Porto, I dont have time to do the whole thing, are there some stretches that are more worthwhile than others? Thanks for your help!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What are your interests and motivations here? Would you consider walking to Fatima, for example, or would you be more interested in the former Templar town of Tomar, the university city of Coimbra or the Roman ruins at Conimbriga. Those places were my favourites when I walked the CP in 2022, but stringing them or any others together will depend on how much time you have.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Between Lisbon and Porto, I dont have time to do the whole thing, are there some stretches that are more worthwhile than others?

Yes there are, in my view. Tomar to Coimbra is my favourite section (about 5 stages), both for the endpoints and for the trail between them, which is often on country paths going past vineyards and olive trees.

The Caminho da Nazaré is a good, 2-day walk from Nazaré to Fátima. From Fátima, you can walk to Tomar in one long day 35 (kms) or break it into 2.

And agree with the post earlier, Tomar to Coimbra is a great walk!

In order of preference, mine only: Tomar (Templar Castle), Fatima (a detour, but worth it for some folks), Coimbra (major university with an outstanding library of ancient manuscripts as well as stunning architecture). If you can't see them all, look at some of the guidebooks referenced above and decide what interests you most. Train service is pretty good all the way to Tomar, so you can pick and choose where to get on/off and walk between Lisboa and Tomar.
My only regret is that I decided not to visit Nazare, which is (has become?) one of the greatest natural surfing spots in the universe, due to the underwater offshore canyon leading to a wave break that can be 70-100 feet tall when conditions are right. As someone who lives 1/2 time on Hawaii, my oversight was inexcusable and I'll be rectifying it when I return to walk the Portuguese Caminho again in a couple of years.
Bom Caminho.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In order of preference, mine only: Tomar (Templar Castle), Fatima (a detour, but worth it for some folks), Coimbra (major university with an outstanding library of ancient manuscripts as well as stunning architecture). If you can't see them all, look at some of the guidebooks referenced above and decide what interests you most. Train service is pretty good all the way to Tomar, so you can pick and choose where to get on/off and walk between Lisboa and Tomar.
My only regret is that I decided not to visit Nazare, which is (has become?) one of the greatest natural surfing spots in the universe, due to the underwater offshore canyon leading to a wave break that can be 70-100 feet tall when conditions are right. As someone who lives 1/2 time on Hawaii, my oversight was inexcusable and I'll be rectifying it when I return to walk the Portuguese Caminho again in a couple of years.
Bom Caminho.
Make sure u walk right time of year. Nov I think to see the big waves they're not there all year!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes there are, in my view. Tomar to Coimbra is my favourite section (about 5 stages), both for the endpoints and for the trail between them, which is often on country paths going past vineyards and olive trees.
It is a wonderful stretch of the Camino, especially because it begins and ends in two great places. Tomar is a really nice place to spend the night and Coimbra, well it is one of my favorite cities on any camino. Spent a rest day there 6 years ago, Was wandering around one evening and got lost. Asked a group of wonderful university students in their black caps for directions. We ended up standing there for 10 minutes talking and then the bunch of them insisted on walking me back to my hostel. We had a wonderful conversation together. It took almost an hour to get back to where I was staying. I didn't have my phone with me and was lucky I remembered the name of the place I was staying. It was an evening to remember!
More importantly I think it often matters much more what happens inside and with the people you meet than the ground you are under or the things the eyes see. It is not a steadfast rule but it is true for sure.

Another question for the @jungleboy man! I have read that the cathedral in Fatima is beautiful but the town itself, not so much. As a person who was born Jewish and feels no affinity whatsoever to the Church. I respect completely others beliefs but also believe that the miracle that happened in Fatima or the one here in Mexico City with the Virgin are no more than legend and story. (Again just my belief and it holds no validity as soon as the words leave my mouth). The next time I start in Lisbon I was going to walk to Fatima. If the only thing there is the cathedral is it worth it? I have been to Lourdes and I did think that it was a memorable experience to witness the procession and the faith of others. But the town was awful. The only other reason to walk to Fatima may be because it is a prettier walk? When I walked in 2017 it was the 100 year anniversary of the miracle and there were lots of pilgrims going to Fatima. In fact when I was walking north I passed many more pilgrims walking south towards Fatima than walking to Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another question for the @jungleboy man! I have read that the cathedral in Fatima is beautiful but the town itself, not so much. As a person who was born Jewish and feels no affinity whatsoever to the Church. I respect completely others beliefs but also believe that the miracle that happened in Fatima or the one here in Mexico City with the Virgin are no more than legend and story. (Again just my belief and it holds no validity as soon as the words leave my mouth). The next time I start in Lisbon I was going to walk to Fatima. If the only thing there is the cathedral is it worth it? I have been to Lourdes and I did think that it was a memorable experience to witness the procession and the faith of others. But the town was awful. The only other reason to walk to Fatima may be because it is a prettier walk? When I walked in 2017 it was the 100 year anniversary of the miracle and there were lots of pilgrims going to Fatima. In fact when I was walking north I passed many more pilgrims walking south towards Fatima than walking to Santiago.
The town itself was entirely built as a pilgrimage town after 1917, so there's nothing there that predates that (it was the countryside in 1917 when the children saw the apparitions). I wouldn't say the basilica is especially beautiful myself, and actually for Portuguese pilgrims the main focus is a little chapel near the basilica (where the apparitions appeared), rather than the basilica itself. The rest of the town outside the sanctuary mostly consists of shops selling religious paraphernalia.

Most non-Portuguese people I've talked to who have been to Fátima say it didn't appeal to them much, if at all. I agree in general but felt that being there the day before a big pilgrimage day, as we were this year, made it quite special, as there were thousands of pilgrims in town. If you're just there on an ordinary day I would say it might not be worth it. I guess the lesson is that it's the pilgrims who make the pilgrimage site!

Last edited:
I have read that the cathedral in Fatima is beautiful but the town itself, not so much.
Certainly the two churches in Fatima are both spectacular in their own ways. Neither is a cathedral, but I seem to recall both are designated basilicas by the Catholic Church. The modern interior of the new basilica was awe inspiring even though it was basically empty the day I visited. What it would feel like when full with 8000 people, I cannot imagine. Other parts of the area around the Sanctuary at Fatima were disappointing to me, but I expect that when the Sanctuary is full of pilgrims, that would change.

As for Fatima .Ok the square and the churches were impressive but the town itself was like one large commercial plot with shop after shop selling religious items , so to be honest we found it to be a disappointment and no real character to it . Tomar was cool and really enjoyed Coimbra some great trails in that part but we were cycling but its still the same views :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, There is a lot to see and like any Camino it has good and less good parts of the route. In terms of highlights I particularly liked Santarem as well as Tomar and Coimbra. The railway line basically parallels the walk from Lisbon to Santarem, and to be fair most of the time is not far from the route, allowing you to cherry pick what you see - which some pilgrims I bumped into did. I really liked the walk from Santarem to Tomar (with a detour to Almourol Castle). There is so much to see including the roman ruins at Conimbriga so don't envy your decion. If time allows, perhaps walk Santarem to Coimbra and train the rest. Good luck !

Tomar and Coimbra - get a tour of the university when you are in COIMBRA. I chose to spend an extra day there and it was well worth it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What are your interests and motivations here? Would you consider walking to Fatima, for example, or would you be more interested in the former Templar town of Tomar, the university city of Coimbra or the Roman ruins at Conimbriga. Those places were my favourites when I walked the CP in 2022, but stringing them or any others together will depend on how much time you have.
Pretty much agree with all of this. I too walked in 2022 (aug-september) and definitely recommend Fatima, Tomar and Coimbra. Santarem was nice too. In my opinion there is not a whole lot worth seeing before Santarem and whilst there are some nice towns after that, there aren't many that I would suggest are "must see" apart from the 3 I mentioned.

If you are in any way religious Fatima is well worth a day. Both Tomar and Coimbra easily get on to the "must see" list!!

The Caminho da Nazaré is a good, 2-day walk from Nazaré to Fátima. From Fátima, you can walk to Tomar in one long day 35 (kms) or break it into 2.

And agree with the post earlier, Tomar to Coimbra is a great walk!
Yes! I walked from Fatima to Tomar, in one day and it was great. Parts of it were challenging and not well marked, in the national park, and at one point had to break branches off a fallen tree to climb over it!! It was also great to walk along the top of the aqueduct leading into Tomar

Attachments

• 20220818_142221.jpg
    20220818_142221.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 5
I respect completely others beliefs but also believe that the miracle that happened in Fatima or the one here in Mexico City with the Virgin are no more than legend and story.
Believe what you will, but the Apparitions and miracle at Fatima are factual and were widely reported in the media at the time. The third secret has also proven to be prophetically true, to Catholics at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Believe what you will, but the Apparitions and miracle at Fatima are factual and were widely reported in the media at the time. The third secret has also proven to be prophetically true, to Catholics at least.
We all have our own beliefs especially when it comes to religion. I respect any belief as long as it is not imposed on me or in any way dangerous. Belief is a choice for me. I choose not to believe it. You choose to believe it. That is fine with me. I am not Catholic and believe the strongest faith we should have is in science and knowledge. Religious faith and scientific faith are not incompatible. I just believe in the scientific. To each his own I say and it it brings you comfort and spirituality than what you believe is right for you.

We all have our own beliefs especially when it comes to religion. I respect any belief as long as it is not imposed on me or in any way dangerous. Belief is a choice for me. I choose not to believe it. You choose to believe it. That is fine with me. I am not Catholic and believe the strongest faith we should have is in science and knowledge. Religious faith and scientific faith are not incompatible. I just believe in the scientific. To each his own I say and it it brings you comfort and spirituality than what you believe is right for you.
2 things.
1. The point I was trying to make, is that that the miracle at Fatima is not in any way a matter of opinion or faith. It is factual. It actually happened . To put it in your words - it is scientific fact. Seriously, do some research.

2. In receiving the alert of your post, I notice that a "moderator" has edited my previous post. I hadn't even been advised that my post had been rewritten.That is a particularly unsavoury and in my opinion immoral act, particularly as the parts of my post that I recall to have been removed were non inflammatory, did not contain anything offensive and served only to back up my point. It has happened before where a moderator has unnecessarily changed a post of mine and I received no reply when I complained about it. As a result, I will now delete my account and I guess with that all my posts may get deleted too.

2 things.
1. The point I was trying to make, is that that the miracle at Fatima is not in any way a matter of opinion or faith. It is factual. It actually happened . To put it in your words - it is scientific fact. Seriously, do some research.

2. In receiving the alert of your post, I notice that a "moderator" has edited my previous post. I hadn't even been advised that my post had been rewritten.That is a particularly unsavoury and in my opinion immoral act, particularly as the parts of my post that I recall to have been removed were non inflammatory, did not contain anything offensive and served only to back up my point. It has happened before where a moderator has unnecessarily changed a post of mine and I received no reply when I complained about it. As a result, I will now delete my account and I guess with that all my posts may get deleted too.
I will leave this conversation with this. I did do some research and there seems to be quite a few skeptics in the scientific community regarding these "miracles". So seriously I did do some research on this before I opened my keyboard to state what I think based on what I read. It is difficult to find unbiased information regarding this subject as much of what appears comes from Catholic publications. If what you believe is true that is great but I have my opinion and observations from what I have been able to read and ask a good friend who is an Astrophysicist and Cosmologist at Oregon State University. Good luck and good faith. Once again your faith is yours and mine is mine and neither is more valid than the other.
And yes miraculous things do happen. Do I believe that they come from devine intervention or God. Without a doubt no. I would say more but I fear I have said to much and do not want to be dinged or deleted by the moderators as I know I am treading on shaky ground. The real bottom line is who cares what I think?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes! I walked from Fatima to Tomar, in one day and it was great. Parts of it were challenging and not well marked, in the national park, and at one point had to break branches off a fallen tree to climb over it!! It was also great to walk along the top of the aqueduct leading into Tomar
I was at the Tomar end of the aqueduct when I learned that we could walk across it. After the long day, I decided to not backtrack. Wish I would have.

I was at the Tomar end of the aqueduct when I learned that we could walk across it. After the long day, I decided to not backtrack. Wish I would have.
I walked out to it on my rest day in Tomar, because what else would you do on a rest day but walk a bit of a camino route, and crossed and returned along the top of the aqueduct. I enjoyed every moment of it.

Hello, really enjoy this forum. I am traveling to Lisbon in August, then have some extra time to get up to Porto, and thought I could do part of the Camino Between Lisbon and Porto, I dont have time to do the whole thing, are there some stretches that are more worthwhile than others? Thanks for your help!
I agree: Tomar to Coimbra is great to walk. Loved it and can recommend staying at Hostel O Lagereiro in Alvorge. Buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can't stop thinking about my April/May Camino from Lisbon. Loved it, especially the part from Lisbon to Porto. It was hard at first because I wasn't fit enough but after a few days my body accepted that life had changed. I met an amazing group of pilgrims from my first night in Vila Franca de Xira and onwards to Porto. I was emotional arriving there but was very put off by the crowds of tourists everywhere.
I lost my Camino family after Porto as most followed the Coastal and myself the Central. I'm so glad I started from Lisbon and preferred it to Porto looking back.

I can't stop thinking about my April/May Camino from Lisbon. Loved it, especially the part from Lisbon to Porto. It was hard at first because I wasn't fit enough but after a few days my body accepted that life had changed. I met an amazing group of pilgrims from my first night in Vila Franca de Xira and onwards to PortoI was emotional arriving there but was very put off by the crowds of tourists everywhere.
I lost my Camino family after Porto as most followed the Coastal and myself the Central. I'm so glad I started from Lisbon and preferred it to Porto looking back.
Started from Tomar. Have very similar feelings. Walked in April/May. Lost my camino family by Barcelos and am very grateful that I had the time to start where I did.

I liked Fátima to Porto via Tomar -- didn't much care for the youth hostel at Tomar, but the city itself is pleasant. north from there is great, and there are some wonderful albergues. The last bit into Porto is very suburban, but still pleasant.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
difficult to say, as beauty is a matter of taste, only one thing is certain, large parts of the route are asphalt and cobblestones.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back