• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What plants/flowers are these?

Gadflyparexcellence

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in "2016," "2018," "2022."
Two of the flower/plant varieties made our walk on the Pamplona-Logrono leg on the Camino this past May most spectacular and memorable were the red poppies and yellow flowers all through the journey. We asked a number of pilgrims what those yellow flowers were and we received more that one answer. Some said they were wild flowers. Others said they were wheat flowers. Still a few others said they were mustard flowers. A picture is enclosed. I presume many of you should be able to shed light on this.

upload_2016-8-5_14-22-13.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Canola?

Rape.

The way to Logroño is dotted with fields of this cereal. From March to May it offers an impressive view.

Beautiful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Rape.

The way to Logroño is dotted with fields of this cereal. From March to May it offers an impressive view.

Beautiful.
Thanks. Any connection with rapeseed oil? Also how is cereal made of these flowers/plants?

I asked about the yellow flowers and the answers were Canola flowers - I would like to know if that is correct?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I presume you meant canola plants from which canola oil is derived. But the question comes to mind: Is the usage of canola oil that widespread in Spain, a country of olive oil?

Spain uses olive oil and sunflower oil. Rapeseed oil is hardly used to cook. There was a massive poisoning in the 80's. More than 1000 people died due to adulterated oil.

I did just a quick check and it seems that Canola, Rapeseed and Mustard are related varieties and are part of the mustard family called Brassicaceae. In differenet ways, all of you are spot on.
Given Pabloke's observation that Rapeseed oil is hardly used for human consumption in Spain, it must then be used for used for industrial purposes.
As a sidebar, it seems that much of the Canola, Rapeseed or Mustard varieties are products of Genetically Modified (GMO) varieties these days. Unfortunately Spain is one of the few EU countries that have been receptive to architects of GMO products such as Monsanto.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Rapeseed oil is used in many cosmetic products.

Two of the flower/plant varieties made our walk on the Pamplona-Logrono leg on the Camino this past May most spectacular and memorable were the red poppies and yellow flowers all through the journey. We asked a number of pilgrims what those yellow flowers were and we received more that one answer. Some said they were wild flowers. Others said they were wheat flowers. Still a few others said they were mustard flowers. A picture is enclosed. I presume many of you should be able to shed light on this.

View attachment 28277
My husband – farmer/vegetable grower/horticulturist – says Rapeseed. The oil comes from the crushed seeds which arrive after the yellow flowers fall off!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

View attachment 28277
In English - rape. In French and Spanish - colza.

According to Istvar, the proprietor of Corazon Puro, these are canola oil plants. He should know.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I think is Canola in Spain we call it colza , it grows wild in many place in Spain and sometimes is planted and harvested!

We hate Colza oil ( there were a lot of people kill and very badly injured for the rest of their life , there was a big problems about 35 years ago , they sold on streets markets very cheap. Oil about a Gallon size and many people bought this , but the problem is that this oil was NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION , it was industrial use for machinery and to make paints products), it was a disaster , many crippled person , kids family group , a disaster about 4000 thousand people , many died in pain!!

View attachment 28277

Yes, I think is Canola in Spain we call it colza , it grows wild in many place in Spain and sometimes is planted and harvested!

We hate Colza oil ( there were a lot of people kill and very badly injured for the rest of their life , there was a big problems about 35 years ago , they sold on streets markets very cheap. Oil about a Gallon size and many people bought this , but the problem is that this oil was NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION , it was industrial use for machinery and to make paints products), it was a disaster , many crippled person , kids family group , a disaster about 4000 thousand people , many died in pain!!
Really sorry to hear this.

Here is a really long, well researched article regarding the poisoning. SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

View attachment 28277

First thought: bright, colorful flowers are bug-pollinated. Wheat is a grass and it is wind pollinated. So you can evaluate the answers you got without any further help. ;-)
The yellow flower I expected you to be asking about was the big, honey-scented shrubs. According to photos on the internet this lovely-smelling shrub is broom. It seems to be cultivated as a soil holder or headlight blocker sometimes, as we saw it planted at roadsides. But by the end of June the blossoms were fading on those shrubs.

Another yellow bloom is fennel. There is a lot of wild fennel growing in northern Spain. It scents the paths of the Camino when we walk by and accidentally brush the leaves. Knee to thigh high perennials with ferny leaves and the blooms when they come are tiny things in flattish blobs. I think it's related to parsley and dill.
More than you wanted to read I am sure!
Buen camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
were the leaves smooth or fuzzy? here is a link to tell the difference between canola and wild mustard
https://www.saskatchewan.ca/busines...ell-the-difference-between-mustard-and-canola

wild mustard grows all along the road that connects the California missions...one legend says the Padres planted it to lead the way, but most people believe it is just a weed that grows anywhere it has a chance

http://www.discover-central-california.com/images/potw_wildflowers_shooting_stars_goingslo.jpg

another story is Spanish ranchers introduced it to feed their cattle...at any rate, it is a non-native (Mediterranean) plant that pretty much grows everywhere here

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back