• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What portions can be skipped on CF (if necessary)?

Kbierstube

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 29 (2017)
I have 38 days to hike the CF for my first time. To make things even more challenging, I'd really like to go on to Finisterre.

To add even more complexity, I fly into Madrid on day 1 and out of Madrid again on day 38, so I'll obviously use a portion of those 38 days getting to/from the Camino.

I recognize that I'm cutting things VERY close. I'm young and athletic and believe I'll be able to keep a faster than average pace and also recognize that *camino* happens ;) so am open to being flexible.

So:

1. If I HAD to take a taxi to skip ahead during one or more legs of the CF route, which legs should I taxi around and why? (This obviously excludes the last 100km.)
2. Which sections are a *must experience*, and why?
3. What are the pros/cons of starting in Pamplona vs Sjdp?

Tia!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
(This obviously excludes the last 100km.)

Tia!
Honnestly, if I had to skip, and even if I didn't, it's the last 100km from Sarria I would skip. If what you want is a certificate of somesoet as a souvenir, jist get a certificate of distance. After all, you'll get a second pretty one in Fisterra. ;)

Other than that, start in Pamplona. You will miss my favourtie part of the Frances, but as this is a pilgrimage, continuity should trump views, right?

I walked the first time in 2015 and realized I hadn't allotted enough time. My solution was to take public transportation, bus, train or taxi, into and out of the big cities.

That being said, I want to walk again and do it all.

I hope you have a great time. The Camino is wonderful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I actually loved the walk from Sarria to Santiago, even with stomach bug that put me out of commission for a couple days. Galicia is beautiful. I thought this section would be too busy, but it was great. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of time we spent walking alone.

For the sake of time, we did skip a section of the Meseta - from Sahagun to Leon. The Meseta was nice for a while, but after several days of flat, open country, I was ready to move on.

You should be able to make it - barely - in the time allotted. It took me 35 days to walk from SJPDP to Finisterre, and I stopped at Orisson the first day, so I could have done it one day quicker had I walked to Roncesvalles the first day. If I were you I'd walk straight through to Santiago, and then, if you are short on time bus to Finisterre and or Muxia. Many people meet people along the way that they form a kinship with, and want to continue walking with them. If you skip a section in the middle you may lose touch with a group that you enjoy walking with. That's why I'd just walk continuously. Or, save a few days at the beginning at start in Pamplona.
You might want to check out this site for some alternatives for daily stages. I think that the 26 day plan is pretty optimistic for most people, but could certainly be doable for many.

You might read this thread for suggestions: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/which-cities-to-skip.32208/

That being said, you have plenty of time. Even with bad feet, on our first Camino it took us 30 days to Santiago, then we lollygagged 5 days to the ocean.

Since I posted on the thread above, I've walked the CF again. This time, we walked to Santiago in 24 days, Muxia in 27, (we walk really fast, we got the footwear right, unlike the first time, and we and didn't stop at all the places we'd already seen the first time). He's what we skipped, and didn't:
1) Don't skip the walk into Burgos. Just go by the river route. The guidebooks make it seems sketchy. It is not. Well marked, and a wonderful walk. We also walked out of the city by the river (not really marked, but you can figure it out. Same trick going into Pamplona--when the silver disks with the Camino shell appear, back up a few paces and take the obvious sidewalk to the riverwalk and take that into the city--much nicer).
2) Don't skip the Meseta--it's where the magic happened for me. Both times.
3) take the bus from Mules to Leon, unless you find spirituality in walking by auto dealerships.
4) take the municipal bus from Leon to Virgin del Camino (more urban walking).
5) skip the walk into and out of Ponferada, which I found to be an urban nightmare. We took a taxi from Molinaseca to Cacabelos, although we probably could have stopped one town before there).
6) we then took the high route out of Villafranca to Trabadelo, then an taxi from Trabadelo to Las Herrerias. That is a walk up a road with no shoulders. Our first Camino, the traffic was heavy with big trucks coming unnervingly close to us. I could have easily touched them by reaching out my arm. Way too life-threatening for me so this second time, we took a taxi. And there was no such traffic. Time of day (morning v. evening)? Phase of the moon? I'm not sure if we would skip this section again or not. Probably we'd walk it, and if the traffic is bad after the barricade ends, just call a taxi from there.

YMMV, Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have 38 days to hike the CF for my first time. To make things even more challenging, I'd really like to go on to Finisterre.

To add even more complexity, I fly into Madrid on day 1 and out of Madrid again on day 38, so I'll obviously use a portion of those 38 days getting to/from the Camino.

I recognize that I'm cutting things VERY close. I'm young and athletic and believe I'll be able to keep a faster than average pace and also recognize that *camino* happens ;) so am open to being flexible.

So:

1. If I HAD to take a taxi to skip ahead during one or more legs of the CF route, which legs should I taxi around and why? (This obviously excludes the last 100km.)

Tia!
50 km before and after León, you will have had enough of the meseta by then
i started in roncesvalles, it was perfect.
Buen Camino

Nothing should be skipped -- the continuous hiking, including through sections one might find "boring", is essential -- start in Pamplona if you're really worried about time, but frankly 36 days (plus the 2 days to and fro from Madrid) for a younger, healthier pilgrim should be ample, as the walk from SJPP to Compostela should take you about 4 weeks if you keep up a good pace. The rest of your time should be enough for your walk to the coast.

Don't even skip the urban walking as one contributor has suggested -- not only do the urban and suburban stretches help ground the Camino into its modern reality and the experience we'll have as pilgrims in Spain not just as some idealised hiking trail in the company of foreigners to the country, but as part of living modern Spain and modern Spanish life, but also to accept a certain degree of drudgery in the Way can only help emphasise the beauties of its more agreeable sections. Pick and choose as you like is not the Way of Saint James -- it is to accept the bad with the good.

And it helps create a useful sense of humility, to be walking through the familiar environments of modern urban life, amongst men and women simply going about the daily business that we'd be up to ourselves were it not for our resolution to go on pilgrimage.

Plus, sometimes a handy suburban supermarket, café, bar, whatever is a welcome relief amidst all that rural trudging !!

--

But yeah, if you think you can't manage 25 K daily, then start in Pamplona -- there is absolutely no rule that "the whole Camino" means starting at SJPP or Roncesvalles.

Last edited:
I

So:

Tia!
I would just start walking and if I got behind have a read of the guide book and get a train or a bus occasionally.
Some sections on the flat between Burgos and Leon could easily be missed. But 38 day will be enough if you are fit and motivated

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just walk. Don't overplan it. Decide things on the spot.
After a while, you discover that life in the Camino is quite simple, and learn to go with the flow. I know that this probably seems as the usual seudo mystic talk, but it is true in this case.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Honnestly, if I had to skip, and even if I didn't, it's the last 100km from Sarria I would skip. If what you want is a certificate of somesoet as a souvenir, jist get a certificate of distance.

This is incorrect. To get the certificate of distance from the Cathedral, you must be eligible for the Compostela, and to get that you must walk the last 100km.

This is incorrect. To get the certificate of distance from the Cathedral, you must be eligible for the Compostela, and to get that you must walk the last 100km.
I thought the certificate of distance was available to anyone, regardless of the last 100km. Oh well, then bypass "Go" and get pretty certificated in Fisterra and Muxia, and also the one at the halway mark somewhere on the Meseta.

Honnestly, if I had to skip, and even if I didn't, it's the last 100km from Sarria I would skip. If what you want is a certificate of somesoet as a souvenir, jist get a certificate of distance.
In Sahagun pilgrims can get a certificate that attests that they have passed "the Leonist lands of Sahagun" to the geographic center of the Camino Frances and expresses the desire that they continue with good wanderings to the house of St. James.

The certificate is given at the Santuario de la Virgen Peregrina (also known as la Iglesia Senora La Peregrina,) a 15th century convent abandoned in 1835. This century has seen restoration and renovation to turn the building into a museum and exhibition hall. Like most museums it is closed on Mondays. It also observes the afternoon siesta and so is closed for a few hours in the afternoon. There may be a charge of a few euros for the certificate.

A map with the sanctuary marked at the center cross-hairs can be seen here:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=42.367898,-5.032425&z=16&t=h

If you are truly athletic, and you picked the right footwear and gear, you can walk the entire Camino Frances within the time you have without skipping anything.

I met two separate pilgrims who were walking 35 to 45 km/day on my Camino. And one of them was averaging 45 km/day. The trick is not to follow the normal stages that the majority of pilgrims follow. I believe it was due to a faster pace, and walking for more hours of the day. However, I did not ask either of them what they did to prepare for such a pace.

Only you know if you are prepared to do this.

Skipping would not be in my plans at all. After a few 12 to 15 mile walks, (20 to 25k) you will be in a better position to determine your daily abilities. Once determined, you can choose a starting point that conforms to your needs. Bear in mind that as you walk you become stronger, but also "day after day" is more challenging to the body than occasional, so it balances out enough to approximate your needs.

I agree with "just start walking and don't over plan." You will likely be able to complete the entire route but if you find yourself running out of time or needing a rest, THEN you can hop on a bus or call a taxi.

It's very difficult to know how you'll feel (and when you'll feel it) until you are actually walking every day.

Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Pyrenees! For me it was the most powerful and beautiful part of the whole Camino, wouldn't skip that whatever!
I suggest to rent a bicycle from Burgos to Leon - the flat part. That way you don't skip but cover the same faster. But a bicycle for the mountainous parts would be real torture, was always sorry for the riders.

The Pyrenees! For me it was the most powerful and beautiful part of the whole Camino, wouldn't skip that whatever!
I suggest to rent a bicycle from Burgos to Leon - the flat part. That way you don't skip but cover the same faster. But a bicycle for the mountainous parts would be real torture, was always sorry for the riders.

To do part of a time-constrained Camino by bike is something not even a "purist" could object to -- good suggestion !! (though I'd suggest it for the section between Leon and Astorga rather than Burgos and Leon ... )

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are bike rentals easy to find along the way? Anyone have any resources to recommend here?

So:

Tia!

I would keep my plan open. Your body will tell you when you need a rest day. You can take a bus then.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thirty eight days is plenty of time and even allows for rest days. If you do have to skip ahead it will be for physical reasons - sore parts - that will require the choice of rest or abandonment of the camino. This will be how you will determine which parts to "skip."

Every part of the camino has its uniqueness. Let your body be your guide in what to skip and when.

Rather than assuming you're going to need to skip sections, I suggest you play it by ear. Your limit is 38 days. I was 57 and in decent shape when I walked SJPDP to Santiago in 36 days. If you decide you need to make up distance, you can always make that decision as you go. You can't know right now when you're going to feel that the time is right. It might be a cold, wet day in Galicia or it could be a hot, dry day in the Meseta. Who knows, you might never need that break. I wouldn't try and overthink it or over plan it too much. When the time comes you'll figure it out. There are plenty of taxis and busses along the way.

The advantage of not skipping sections is that you will travel with, and begin to know quite well, a certain cohort of pilgrims. If you skip ahead a few days you will likely never see that group again. I suppose there are times when that could be a good thing but normally not. I would recommend that you start at a point that you are confident that you can finish from. I think you will experience the camino as more of a pilgrimage than a "hit the high points" tour if you do that. My own process is what my buddy calls EFI "Every (I'll let you imagine what the F stands for) inch" Once I've started walking I try not to use planes, trains or automobiles to assist my progress. But that's me. It works for me but may not suit you. You have to find your own way. And, by the way, one of my favourite spots on the Camino Frances is on the meseta between Leon and Astorga. Wouldn't miss it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The advantage of not skipping sections is that you will travel with, and begin to know quite well, a certain cohort of pilgrims. If you skip ahead a few days you will likely never see that group again. I suppose there are times when that could be a good thing but normally not.
Again this "Camino family" talk. It always baffles me that people go on this extraordinary experience, often to "find themselves and open up to thw world" and then decide the only people worth being with during that time are the handful they came across on day 1 or 2.

If those people are great, just imagine how great the ones who started a day or two later or in a different town are?

Again this "Camino family" talk. It always baffles me that people go on this extraordinary experience, often to "find themselves and open up to thw world" and then decide the only people worth being with during that time are the handful they came across on day 1 or 2.

If those people are great, just imagine how great the ones who started a day or two later or in a different town are?
Don't really appreciate the assumptions and smug judgements implied in your post.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't really appreciate the assumptions and smug judgements implied in your post.

I didn't see any -- no need to feel so touchy, maybe ? And always remember -- YMMV

Some pilgrims are as baffled by those who seek the Camino Family sort of experience as others are by those who prefer to keep mostly solo all the way to Santiago ...

I do understand you completely Anemone.
On my first Camino I met a Dutch woman in Obanos,we started talking and we connected for 17 days. Then we found a different rythm and went our separate ways. Other pilgrims in "our group" did not understand why we separated but we both knew that we met by accident in the first place.
If she and I were not in a talkative mood that night in Obanos and did not share a bedbunk we probably would not have known of each other.
We still meet once a year halfway between our towns but we both always say we are not family but friends that met by accident.
I already have a family in real life so the concept of a Camino family is an alien one to me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I found the first part of the Meseta pleasant but the last third, not so much. My dislike of that part was only because there weren't many places along the way to stop for food or beverages. If I had limited time, I would skip all or part of the Meseta. If you're going to take a bus through it, check schedules in advance as buses run infrequently as I recall.

Nothing in my post addressed the so-called "Camino Family" or limiting oneself to a small clique. That is your assumption. I simply stated that if you bus ahead you will leave behind those people you have been travelling in parallel with (plus or minus a day or two). Whether they started where you started or started somewhere further along the way. And you likely won't see them again. If you plan to take the bus ahead that is one of the issues you will either have to deal with or simply accept.

So:

Tia!
Do start in SJDP; I wouldn't have missed that first day from SJDP to Roncevalles for anything. We made mistakes (not enough water) & it was hard, but we learned a lot, and it was incredibly beautiful. The arrival to that first fantastic albergue over the border into Spain after such a long, hard first day set the tone for us, and was just wonderful. If you have to skip to gain time, miss part of the meseta (before Leon). It is flat and kind of boring, and not as scenic as other parts of the walk. I wouldn't have wanted to miss any of the post-Leon towns. Hopefully you will have time for the whole thing!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There's a lesser-known variant YMWV -- your mileage will vary.
Walk your own Camino....hmm....thank-you very kindly for that advice. I could not agree more. In fact it reminds me of another quote from earlier in this thread:
But that's me. It works for me but may not suit you. You have to find your own way.
Cheers and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back