• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What prayer might actually do

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

For those not offended by the idea that god may not be the source of all benefits from prayer and meditation, here is an abstract on what meditation, likely at least a component of prayer as well, does:

Psychiatry Research
Volume 191, Issue 1, Pages 36-43 (30 January 2011)

Mindfulness practice leads to increases in regional brain gray matter density

Britta K. Hölzelab Corresponding Author Information email address, James Carmodyc, Mark Vangela, Christina Congletona, Sita M. Yerramsettia, Tim Gardab, Sara W. Lazara

Received 26 March 2010; received in revised form 9 August 2010; accepted 11 August 2010.
Abstract

Therapeutic interventions that incorporate training in mindfulness meditation have become increasingly popular, but to date little is known about neural mechanisms associated with these interventions. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), one of the most widely used mindfulness training programs, has been reported to produce positive effects on psychological well-being and to ameliorate symptoms of a number of disorders. Here, we report a controlled longitudinal study to investigate pre–post changes in brain gray matter concentration attributable to participation in an MBSR program. Anatomical magnetic resonance (MR) images from 16 healthy, meditation-naïve participants were obtained before and after they underwent the 8-week program. Changes in gray matter concentration were investigated using voxel-based morphometry, and compared with a waiting list control group of 17 individuals. Analyses in a priori regions of interest confirmed increases in gray matter concentration within the left hippocampus. Whole brain analyses identified increases in the posterior cingulate cortex, the temporo-parietal junction, and the cerebellum in the MBSR group compared with the controls. The results suggest that participation in MBSR is associated with changes in gray matter concentration in brain regions involved in learning and memory processes, emotion regulation, self-referential processing, and perspective taking.
You could think about thinking while thinking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
What prayer might not actually do

In addition to Falc's interesting post above, there was a major study done on the effects of prayer on people who were ill.

The results showed that it had no effect whatsoever on those being prayed for.

It seems that prayer only helps the one who prays.
:arrow:

Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative. I like to focus on what can be done, not what cannot. The latter list is way too long for me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think you guys have been thinking too much....

:evil: and have recently discovered smilies

Heaven help us when you learn how to txt!

hel&scott said:
I think you guys have been thinking too much....

:evil: and have recently discovered smilies

Heaven help us when you learn how to txt!

I think you guys have not been thinking enough....
and have recently discovered smilies :evil:

Heaven help us when you learn how use them!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'd love to read those studies on prayer not achieving any success, do you have a link?

My experience has been different, honestly. I get about 99% success.

I pretty much get what I ask for, every single time, whether I'm saying, "I need a tape recorder!" and I go out and it's sitting on top of the dumpster, or "I need $35 to pay the electric bill" and voila! Somebody buys something from my Etsy shop.

I even get prayers answer when I shouldn't be asking... like when I prayed my abusive father would drop dead when I was 17 and his plane crashed, killing my 15 year old brother also. That taught me to be careful what I ask for!

Perhaps it is a coincidence, but I prefer to believe that I'm manifesting my own reality by my wants, or "prayers" if you will.

Each prayer I carried to Santiago, whether for pagan or Christian friends, manifested.

Maybe I'm just lucky... :lol: :?: :wink:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi AS

I have absolutely no doubt at all about the honesty of your experiences.

The study was cited in Christopher Hitchens' "God is not Great". I've just looked quickly but can't find the relevant page. Actually, there was reference to a negative effect on patients.

Later

Atlantic Books, 2007. p281.............."the largest study of prayer ever undertaken had discovered yet again that there was no correlation of any kind between "intercessory" prayer and the recovery of patients. (Well perhaps some correlation: patients who knew that prayers were being said for them had more post-operative complications than those who did not)....."

Well, I for one, agree with Annie. Every prayer I have ever offered to God has been answered. I think one of the most important things to remember, if you follow the teachings of the Bible, is that everything happens in God's own time, which of course is very different to our concept of time. So, that throws a very interesting light on these particular studies - they were performed/judged/based on a human concept of time. How can they possibly then expect the 'results' to be conclusive?

:)

Hi Em :)

Hitchens states that there have been many similar studies. Check him/them out.

I will only say about "time" that if you're ill you can't afford to wait around too long.

buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Caminando said:

I will only say about "time" that if you're ill you can't afford to wait around too long.

buen camino!

Hi Caminando :)

One could consider that perhaps 'time' spent on this earth has come to an end for such a person and that it is God's wish that the person moves on? Again - His time is not to be confused with our time...

Buen camino!

emilene said:
Caminando said:

buen camino!

Hi Caminando :)

One could consider that perhaps 'time' spent on this earth has come to an end for such a person and that it is God's wish that the person moves on? Again - His time is not to be confused with our time...

Buen camino!

Hi Em
I find this is fatalism, or the Islamic "inshallah", and I cant sign up for that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back