Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What qualities as a Camino?

jerby

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo
After walking the full french route back in 2013, I was thinking of walking the primitivo next year and just wondering if I need to walk from Oviedo all the way to Santiago or just to Melide to qualify for the compostela. Likewise with Let Puy I guess.
Thanks in advance.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To qualify for a Compostela you must walk at least the final 100km into Santiago de Compostela. If you end your journey before Santiago - no matter how many km you have already walked - then you cannot receive a Compostela for that journey. Having walked that final 100km on some previous Camino does not alter that.

So, to get your Compostella and have it read for the Primitivo, you'd have to begin in Lugo. But that's only if you want the documentation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After walking the full french route back in 2013, I was thinking of walking the primitivo next year and just wondering if I need to walk from Oviedo all the way to Santiago or just to Melide to qualify for the compostela. Likewise with Let Puy I guess.
Thanks in advance.

To get a compistela you walk 100km and 2 stamps daily. Lugo to Santiago qualifies

There are many pilgrims routes all over Europe including Italy, Sweden, the UK, Ireland etc that obviously don’t end in Santiago yet to my way of thinking are still a “ camino “. For example some end in Rome or Fatima or other holy sites.
So to me the distinction is between walking a route ( camino) that qualifies for a Compostela as distinct from others that follow old pilgrim walking paths to holy places. Both are “Caminos “. The one in Santiago provides a certificate if you meet the conditions. I am one of many people who have walked to Santiago a number of times and met the requirements but don’t queue up now for another Compostela.
Others may disagree with my reasoning so let’s hear from them.
Happymark

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I am starting El Camino Primitivo from Oviedo in 3 days. I will try to follow the normal stages and will attempt to do the Hospital route, if the weather permits it. During my research...
Hello to All !! My wife and I are looking at doing the Camino Primitivo sometime around the beginning of May 2024. We are both retired, in relatively good shape having recently completed a high...
Hey all, I would like to plan a Camino for my Easter holidays. I like the look of the Primitivo but as a complete first timer, I’m a little lost in all of the different options. The community...
I did the Camino Frances from St. Jean in 2022. I wouldn't call it life changing or anything that dramatic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so freeing to unburden myself of responsibilities...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back