• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What rating sleeping bag?

Lmsundaze

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2016), CP (2017)
How light a bag would be adequate for albergues in April and May. I am not strong, looking for the lightest possible. Any specific recommendations?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How light a bag would be adequate for albergues in April and May. I am not strong, looking for the lightest possible. Any specific recommendations?

Hi Imsundaze

sorry about this

A sleeping bag helps keep you warm if your already warm, so if your cold your remain so.
ratings on bags

a natural filled bag(duck.goose etc) weighs less and cost more. with superior warmth to weight ratio
a synthetic is fare cheaper and heaver..
so you go as light as you can, because you find a blanket in most albegrues or your have your sleep wear also which will suffice. when or if you visit a REI store near you..try all of them a out, I do all the time. fully zipped up to see how you like each type.........some have left or right hand sided zips...mummy shape or a good toe box etc and so on.you get one which will compress to the size of a can of bake bean if its natural fill inside, this will be sufficient..
when you do buy a good sleeping bag,keep it un lofted at home to prolong its useful life.

‘Upper limit’ - This is the highest temperature at which an average male/female user should experience a comfortable night’s sleep.

‘Comfort’ - This is the temperature at which an average male/female user should experience a comfortable night’s sleep. On average women sleep colder than men so this rating is some degrees above the ‘comfort lower limit’ for a man.

‘Comfort lower limit’ - This is the lowest temperature at which an average male/female user should experience a comfortable night’s sleep whilst lying in a curled up body position. Under the previous tests this would have been known as the ‘comfort temperature’.

‘Extreme’ - This is a survival rating where the user is likely to suffer health damage such as Hypothermia. It should be treated with the utmost caution and not be relied on for general use.

if you want the full run down on synthetic v down etc ask me ...basically if you was camping and used a down bag which got wet ......its no good........a synthetic bag will retain some warmth.
however inroads on fabric types are afoot.......you can sleep on a ice pack or frozen lake in a down bag with modern treated fabrics now .."Down" does not like damp conditions constantly if in a tent for prolong periods.....
I suggest a Down bag.....

take the bag you decided to buy out of the compression sack to check seams and when the staff member is not looking really compress the bag to make sure no feathers are flying out......it can happen....if all good buy.remember your be compressing this bag for weeks

One of the first things to consider when choosing a sleeping bag is where you are going to use it. If the bag is mainly going to be used inside hostels, then a rectangular design with a L-shaped zip (which allows the bag to be thrown open quilt-style) will probably suffice. At the other extreme, a mountaineer wanting the most heat-conserving type of sleeping bag will almost always opt for a snug-fitting sarcophagus design. This type of ‘mummy’ bag reduces the amount of dead air in the sleeping bag, and so provides maximum warmth albeit at the expense of some comfort.

Backpackers and trekkers often opt for a tapered bag which offers some of the heatretaining benefits of the mummy shape but also allows room for manoeuvre inside the bag. Bags destined for service in colder climes will have features such as shoulder baffles, zip baffles, sculptured hoods, and intricately designed foot sections which help to keep toes warm.

hope this helps

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

That depends really on your budget, as others have mentioned, down is the lightest, but also the most expensive. I have a synthetic sleeping bag (three seasons/+10 comfort tempterature/670g) that I paid less than 50 Euro for. It works for me. I think that with a bag of that rating you should be fine in albergues. Happy bargain hunting, SY

I used a +5degC semi-rectangular down bag on both CF (Mar/Apr/May) and CI (Apr). There are lighter designs (taper, mummy, etc) which I do not find comfortable. If you are comfortable with one of these lighter designs, then you should be able to find something well under 1 kg, but expect to pay more for the lighter bags in any particular temperature range.

I have the Sea to Summit TR1. It is rated 10 degrees which I hope will be okay for indoors in April (with clothes on). It is ultra dry down and weighs 389 grams. I paid A$175 online. Might be worth looking at?? It has a side zip which allows it to open out to a blanket and has a drawstring foot which can be pulled tight or left open.
Good luck choosing ☺️

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Be careful of the zips on very lightweight bags, regardless of the fill (down or synthetic). Manufacturers typically use thinner and more pliable material on these bags to reduce the weight (every little bit counts), and to improve "stuff-ability." This is especially true with the newest generation of silicon-nylon impregnated materials coming onto the market.

As a consequence, the zips can more easily snag the adjacent bag material. If this happens, you usually either: (1) tear the zip off the toothed tracks, or (2) seriously snag the bag material, possibly causing a tear. I have done both, on multiple bags, in consecutive years.

Once you buy the right bag for you, lubricate the zips using dry soap, or a product especially made to lubricate plastic (nylon) zippers. Usually, this will be a dry lubricant that leaves no stains on the material. Work the zips inside and out. Most side zips are double-sided and can be opened or closed from in or outside the bag.

It is better to prevent or diagnose any "grabbing" issue well before your Camino, instead of how I dealt with it. Usually this was on the first cold or rainy and miserable night. I would ruin the zip and could not address the problem until daylight. Oops! There goes a peaceful sleep...

I hope this helps.

Is a sleeping bag really necessary? I was thinking of just using a liner. We will be on the Frances end of April through May.
Mary

Is a sleeping bag really necessary? I was thinking of just using a liner. We will be on the Frances end of April through May.
Mary

That's the trouble with all these open-ended questions - particularly here since we all feel the cold to different degrees

I'm firmly in the sleeping bag liner brigade - can almost always find a blanket in the albergue if needed - alternatively bring a wool vest or thermal

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I served in an alburgue as hospitalera and we did not provide any bedding. I don't suggest relying on alburguesa nd hospitaleros to take care of you. be pro-active and prepare. A lightweight, summer simple down bag with hood is your best bet. Quite a few of the alburgues can be chilly given altitude and weather.

Mary

I would FREEZE in a sleeping liner during April and May.
In 2014, it snowed in June over Roncesvalles - where they do NOT give you a blanket.
And in 2013 in Santo Domingo del Calzada, I looked like this:

Attachments

• IMG_5153.jpg
    IMG_5153.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
I use a light weight 1pd 3oz good down to 40F. I am going in March and will also take a silk bag liner 120z which adds about 10 more degrees warmth. If is warm enough I will use just the bag liner. I bought our bags at Sports Authority tent sale for $25.oo each.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Go with the lightest you can justify purchasing. I prefer down as it is lightest and packs smaller than synthetics. That said, I once spent the most miserable night in a soggy wet snowstorm in the Sierras—in a down bag. A synthetic bag would have been better suited for that night. Shouldn't be a problem for the normal pilgrim anytime of year. Also, consider a mummy shaped bag as they weigh less, having less material in their construction. I have a down mummy bag that weighs just one-half kilo and is rated for zero degC. It wasn't cheap, but I've used it on mountain treks, Sahara camping and on the Camino. And it has many more adventures left in it.

Hi there!

In this time is nice weather there, so you don't need any warm sleeping bag. I used the light one for a bikers.. It's very light, small, cheap and serves its purpose.

Go with the lightest you can justify purchasing. I prefer down as it is lightest and packs smaller than synthetics. That said, I once spent the most miserable night in a soggy wet snowstorm in the Sierras—in a down bag. A synthetic bag would have been better suited for that night. Shouldn't be a problem for the normal pilgrim anytime of year. Also, consider a mummy shaped bag as they weigh less, having less material in their construction. I have a down mummy bag that weighs just one-half kilo and is rated for zero degC. It wasn't cheap, but I've used it on mountain treks, Sahara camping and on the Camino. And it has many more adventures left in it.

If you're camping out, down can be a drag.
However, if you are in an albergue, you will be dry, and down is my best friend!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you are going with more than a liner, I'd look at quilts instead of sleeping bags. Much lighter for the warmth. Look at enlightened equipment, zpacks, jacks r better. You will be sleeping on the thick foam pads of the alburgues, so insulation on the bottom is totally unnecessary weight (do you put a blanket under you at night when sleeping at home? I doubt it. Same applies to albuergues.)

I am also going in April/May with my daughter. She is experienced in hiking, camping and the like. She suggested looking at the Revelation model on the Enlightened Equipment website. These bags are quite versatile, especially if layered over a sleep sack/liner. They are custom made in Minnesota and the prices compare to other similar bags. I am thinking about the 40 degree bag.

I am also going in April/May with my daughter. She is experienced in hiking, camping and the like. She suggested looking at the Revelation model on the Enlightened Equipment website. These bags are quite versatile, especially if layered over a sleep sack/liner. They are custom made in Minnesota and the prices compare to other similar bags. I am thinking about the 40 degree bag.

Before I began using my down bag, I used a Marmot Pounder Plus rated at 25 degrees and it was fine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I went with a silk liner and a quilt - the quilt from Jacks R Better mentioned above - I love that quilt. It is very light and packs down small. I was walking in June, so warmer temperatures, and I rarely needed the quilt. If walking earlier in the year, I would probably still opt for the quilt instead of a sleeping bag and then take a pair of silk long johns to sleep in if it was cold.

Hello,
My wife and I will also be starting in May. Here's the bag we will be carrying. I'll have the 50deg and she will be using the 40deg. This company is the best at what they do. Also, when your done with this bag, if you dont want to keep it, post it on ebay and it will sell right away. Folks wait for Enlightened Equipment to be posted. http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

Mary
That depends on whether you want the flexibility to stay in places that have no blankets or are unheated. By the end of Apr on the CF, I was using my bag as a blanket, and just using the liner or the sheets supplied in the Xunta albergues in Galicia. Earlier in the month, there were places were having a sleeping bag was the difference between being comfortable at Granon or Epinosa and having an uncomfortable night's sleep or having to move on.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Hello Imsundaze,
You've already got some great replies. My recommendation would be, if it's possible for you to get a bag of your choice with a zip that opens the left and right sides , it will allow you to have a blanket if you need more room.

Buen (warm-snooze-filled) Camino

15 degrees and use year around, no need to buy, summer a fall or winter just add or remove sleeping clothing and or cover and uncover yourself

Zzotte

I have just come back from the Camino and walked from the end of September to the end of October and used a Sea to Summit Traveller 1 which I found perfect. Very light and packed down small and it being able to open out to a blanket was great. I am of very small so needed everything very light. I feel the cold and was never too cold. I did use a silk liner which I used over the of the mattresses and it had a pillow fold which I put the pillow in (I am a bit paranoid about bedbugs) and apparently bed bugs don't like silk. At many of the private albergues we were given mattress and pillow covers. Unless it was the middle of summer I would take my bag and silk liner again it worked really well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did use a silk liner which I used over the of the mattresses and it had a pillow fold which I put the pillow in (I am a bit paranoid about bedbugs) and apparently bed bugs don't like silk.
It seems to me the only people promoting the idea that bed bugs are repelled by silk are unscrupulous traders in silk products. I have yet to find anyone who claims to have established this with objective evidence.

Also -- if I get a very lightweight bag am I ok without a liner? Trying to keep weight down this old woman.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Used a silk sack as an undersheet, having decided I hated the feeling of being confined, and used the quilt like a normal bed quilt. It is very light and settles around the body. Being a quilt it is easy to vent. You can make a toe box if you like (it has a drawstring at the bottom) but I did not find it necessary. The trick is, as always with down, to allow it to loft around the body. It was quite narrow. A larger person might prefer one of the Sierra range, which are a bit wider. For me the Shenandoah was OK. I got the standard length but it comes in a longer one.

I much prefer a quilt to a sleeping bag. Next time I'm going to turn my silk sleeping sack into a fitted bottom sheet.

Sorry @lmsundaze our posts crossed. You do need something to put on the bed - I used the silk liner as a bottom sheet. In summer I often take a sarong and that would have worked too.

For the second half of my Camino, I walked from Burgos on April 19, 2015, arriving in SdC on May 5. I had only a poly fleece sack (1.4 lbs.), and I used blankets at every albergue. My theory is that the blankets would be fairly clean in the spring since they had been cleaned over the winter. Besides, I slept inside the sack. A couple of places I had to request a blanket from the storeroom before I checked in. One cold night I used two blankets. I always checked that the albergue had blankets before I checked in. Re. Roncesville: I stayed there in September 2014, so it was not cold and my sleep sack was adequate. I wish I could assure you that there will be clean blankets along the way from SJPdP to Burgos, but I just cannot remember. Best of luck on your Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In May 2015 I found a silk liner sufficient (except 1 cold night, when I arrived late, there were no blankets and s.o. opened the window) buen camino !

In May/June last year I took a 2 season sleeping bag but it was so warm I hardly used it. So this year in May/June I just took a silk liner. Most albergues where I stayed had blankets if needed. There were only a couple of cooler nights when I slept fully dressed which was fine.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just bought a silk liner and REALLY want to use it. But it hardly seems warm enough. I found http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/us/traveller-50-sleeping-bag-p13098.aspx?cl=LIME which weighs only .65kg for $30 on sale worked really well. I walked in September last year and at the end of the month, it was chilly and glad to have it. I am returning 2016 mid August to finish the final 420 km and I still struggle to decide on the issue of weight versus possible discomfort.

Just got back from Costco where I bought a Double Black Diamond Packable Down Throw for 29.99 C$. It weighs under a pound, comes with its own stuff sack (and could compress further). It's 700 fill power and measures 60x70 inches. Deal of the day! Amazon.com sells them for 42US$. It may be a bit short not to have feet escape, especially for those taller than me, (5'4"), but worth a test drive. Push comes to shove I could by a second one and have a bit added to the first to make it longer, and it would still fit in its stuff sack. Also good to have as an emergency blanket in a car for winter.

Just got back from Costco where I bought a Double Black Diamond Packable Down Throw for 29.99 C$. It weighs under a pound, comes with its own stuff sack (and could compress further). It's 700 fill power and measures 60x70 inches. Deal of the day! Amazon.com sells them for 42US$. It may be a bit short not to have feet escape, especially for those taller than me, (5'4"), but worth a test drive. Push comes to shove I could by a second one and have a bit added to the first to make it longer, and it would still fit in its stuff sack. Also good to have as an emergency blanket in a car for winter.
Hi Anemone,

It would be worth also getting a silk liner. On cooler nights you can use the liner inside the sleeping bag which works well. On warmer nights you might just need the liner without the bag.

Buen Camino,

Mike

Hi Anemone,

It would be worth also getting a silk liner. On cooler nights you can use the liner inside the sleeping bag which works well. On warmer nights you might just need the liner without the bag.

Buen Camino,

Mike
I used to use a liner, but the froze in May of 2013 and will no longer rely on one. My sleeping bag I really like, but at 750 grams, and it's bulky, I am looking for alternatives. If I brought a liner plus this new quilt it would be just as heavy as the sleeping bag. If I was walking in July then I would only bring the liner but I like to walk in Spring and Fall, on lTely on the Northern routes. But thanks for the tip.

Used the quilt last night here in Montreal, near freezing temperature outside and the window open, and it worked well. Just long enough for a short person like me. I am wondering how I could modify it to have the option of making it into a bag, or at least make a toe box to stabilize it around the feet. I'm a "warm feet cold nose" type of sleeper. Nice inexpensive purchase.

I ordered a quilt from Enlightened Equipment, which just arrived today. I felt a little guilty, since I have sleeping bags already (and knew my husband would chide me), but this quilt is the lightest weight, most versatile and luxurious thing! It can be used as a sleeping bag, too.

I have the Sea to Summit TR1. It is rated 10 degrees which I hope will be okay for indoors in April (with clothes on). It is ultra dry down and weighs 389 grams. I paid A$175 online. Might be worth looking at?? It has a side zip which allows it to open out to a blanket and has a drawstring foot which can be pulled tight or left open.
Good luck choosing ☺️

I have the exact same one (I think I managed to get the last one in Europe). I toss and turn a lot at night, so a sleeping bag is not for me. This quilt is perfect: compact, incredibly lightweight and surprisingly warm.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In October this year I used Cumulus Magic 125 zip. Worked great both on colder days and warmer (just opened it) and weighs only 0,3kg. It is a summer/indoor 10dC/50F down sleeping bag.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.