• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What really is the pilgrim experience?

Red Rose

redrose
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis September/October 2015
Camino Portuguese Lisbon to Santiago March/April 2019
Does a pilgrim have a better experience if their equipment is more expensive than another pilgrim?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Does a pilgrim have a better experience if their equipment is more expensive than another pilgrim?

My observation is that people who have expensive outdoor gear aren't ever seen more than a day from the road.

My other observation is the real wilderness experience begins more than a day from the road.

I guess the observations can be extrapolated to non-wilderness settings like the camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No.
IMHO the material equipment is the less relevant item for a pilgrim. Although good footwear is not unimportant in being comfortable. But I saw so many people walking in very different gear and in the end it does not make any difference.

Now our mental , social and psychological equipment : that is something different! And these don't make us have a better experience or make us a better pilgrim. But at least they can help us with enjoying every step and fully participate in the moment, environment and above all making connections with others on the Camino.

Last edited:
Depends. Expensive gear per se doesn't make a better experience, but it will make a different one. If expensive gear is lighter weight, faster drying, more compact, better performing in foul weather, then all those qualities will affect the experience. On the other hand, cotton socks and a wooden packframe may produce an entirely different frame of mind. Depends on your objective.

If so what brand gear might be bought? Check out the bro-rivalry between two companies selling equipment + romantic/macho lure of the wild reported by Marisa Meltzer in The Guardian.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Perhaps you could tell us what you are thinking, because the answer @trecile gave is so obvious - of course not! One doesn't get a better experience by outspending other pilgrims!

Perhaps you meant to ask if better equipment makes for a better experience for an individual? @Kitsambler gave a good answer to that.

Not sure I understand the question but Trecile answered it! ;) :D

I spent very little on equipment for my first camino, mainly because I thought it was a one-off. I was not a 'hiker' and never thought I would become one!
I bought the rucksack, the poles and the poncho from Lidl. All the clothes I took I already owned and they were old. My only 'big' expense were the shoes. Funnily enough, it's the only item that gave me trouble and I had to buy some new ones in Arzua.

I had an excellent 'pilgrim experience' :cool:

Experience is the great Decider; if chosen right, the price of gear does not matter.
However, if by experience you get the right fit, it will not cost you deep in the purse after some time, and so be it.
Best advice is to shop prudently, whenever a good offer presents itself. ( All my stuff are from offers or sales)
And this good offer might very well have been expensive, but will be cheaper in the long run.
- Running myself on the third model boots, still searching for the better boot ! every model worn thin......

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I have met pilgrims with very, very expensive-looking equipment - that they always carried around because they were afraid that someone would steal it, and they also seemed to feel the need to be extra careful not to scuff anything.

This, to me, would detract from the "pilgrim experience". I will gladly put my backpack down in a ditch so I can stretch out and rest on it!

I made an effort a few years ago to buy a genuine Laguiole knife (not as easy as you might think btw). I spent quite some time and a lot more money than I would have if I just bought an simple Opinel knife in the store around the corner. That Opinel would do the job just as well, is lighter and a lot cheaper.
But every time I use my Laguiole, whether on a hike or a holiday, I smile like an idiot. It just is a thing of beauty, very functional and still insanely sharp. It might be daft, but for me it adds to the experience.

Having said that, more expensive does not necessarily mean better. But I like to be able to trust my equipment so I don't have to deal with leaks in my tent, ripping seams in my pack or clothes that leave me cold and/or wet. So I do the research and, if possible, buy secondhand. Which leaves me with good gear for a reasonable price.

Ah the battle of the brands 'Coke' v 'Pepsi'.
I am so glad I'm now retired from the daily march of consumerism and one-upmanship.
Or am I? My partner says I spend a fraction of my time helping her chose something for the wardrobe, than I do selecting smart wool walking socks for myself.
But even I take exception to being called: ''A dirtbag who lives frugally, but wears a $250 jacket''. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That Opinel would do the job just as well, is lighter
Knowing I wanted an Opinel 10 w/corkscrew, I waited until I resumed my Camino in Burgos last April and bought from the knife shop I'd visited the previous trip (1/2 block from the cathedral). Yes spent more than if I'd ordered online but the presentation of the knife by the shop owner and the purchasing experience was so precious that I smile every time I use the knife!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If the equipment makes you more comfortable I suppose it could. On the other hand, how many monks became saints because they wanted to be comfortable?

Is this a troll? A person will be more comfortable with gear that works well for them. Sometimes that costs more, but I know people more comfortable in flip flops than fancy boots. As far as "better experience" goes you won't figure that out on the internet.

The experiences I've had on the Camino could certainly be called 'good'--but really they've been much better than merely 'good'. And expensive equipment (or lack of it) has had nothing to do with that.
The mind/heart is what makes for a better experience, not stuff.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I assumed the question was rhetorical, especially with that thread title. But then I would be interested in the OP's reason for "asking" it. Hopefully this doesn't become another of those "what is a real pilgrim experience" things...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Being a pilgrim is by definition a spiritual matter, so I'd say "no"...
But maybe some actually do? Or more exactly, have the feeling they do? I've met some who definitely seemed to fit in that category!

full

Equipment is about lightness , durability , comfort so not necessarily a brand .

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think your question was around equipment type rather than brand elitism .

Before I went in 2016 , sometimes reading the forum did my head in :cool:.
In the end I chose the lightest equipment .... pack , shoes , socks etc .... that was comfortable for my short body . Then I just rocked up to see what happens .

For me part of the adventure was to let everything unfold and see how I could deal with it . You don't have to walk others peoples walk .

Ultreia

I have met pilgrims with very, very expensive-looking equipment - that they always carried around because they were afraid that someone would steal it, and they also seemed to feel the need to be extra careful not to scuff anything.

This, to me, would detract from the "pilgrim experience". I will gladly put my backpack down in a ditch so I can stretch out and rest on it!

I am told that a good corkscrew is essential. :p

I don’t believe you are trolling, so is it because:

a) You want to have the best pilgrim experience, but you can’t afford to buy all the equipment;

b) You can afford to buy high-tech equipment, but you already have stuff that will probably do, so why buy more?;

c) You can buy whatever you want, so should you buy the best for the best experience?

I have seen many poor little rich kids on the camino, with all their expensive equipment, and some have a good experience, and some don’t.

Equipment has nothing to do with it.

You could start (anywhere) with what you are standing up in, and walk to Santiago if you really wanted to . . . and maybe that would be the best pilgrim experience of all
(but I don’t think I’d try that in mid-winter).
Jill

There is only the road - all the rest, all the stuff - this forum - the guidebooks - the blogs - the Utubes and Facebooks - the best boots - best rucksacks - best Albergues - best views - best - best - best

well thats all just shit, merde, mierda

How much you pay for your shit doesn't matter at all - it'll still stick to a blanket

I kind of like how the slighty odd question of the OP seems to ruffle a few feathers on a forum that is otherwise packed with all sorts of gear threads...

I kind of like how the slighty odd question of the OP seems to ruffle a few feathers on a forum that is otherwise packed with all sorts of gear threads...

Since there has been no further clarification of the "slightly odd" question...it seems a bit trollish.

We are obviously all pilgrims in our own way.
No one "better or worse", just different.

Buen Camino whatever your style

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I really enjoy some of my successful equipment purchases, as well as my successful homemade items. I am interested in the form, function and efficiency of these things. What was puzzling in the OP, was the focus on cost/dollars and comparison to other people. Perhaps that wasn't intended.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Of course. Emptying their wallet on expensive equipment will make it so much lighter, and they will have less weight to carry and care about, they won't be able to afford more than water, so the prospect of cerveza promoted weight gain will be completely absent. They are less likely to snore at night as a result of drinking only water, and get a brilliant night's sleep as a result. Trim and well rested, they will generally be able to walk further and faster as a result. Clearly a better experience.

No.

Walking last year one of the happiest pilgrims I met had nothing. She had set off from her home in Belgium and got as far as Paris ok. There she was robbed as she slept of everything except a T-shirt, shorts and one pair of socks. She lost her rucksack, clothes, money, passport, credit card, boots, everything. She carried on, with carrier bags shoved into her socks and wrapped in an old curtain she found in a bin. I met her in a church porch on the Primitivo where she was sleeping out in the rain. She had never once slept in an albergue. She had no money and was eating from bins and from nature. She was happy, and told me God is providing for her. She even offered to share some fruit she had found with me. I offered her some money but she would not except any. I did manage to buy her a hot meal, though I had to convince her to accept even that! She was/is the most inspirational person I have ever met on my travels.

Davey

I find the reasoning 'more expensive equipment = better experience' as ridiculous as most here on this thread do. But I'm also picking up some 'equipment doesn't matter' vibes, and I strongly disagree. A Camino, while not as outdoorsy as some other hikes I can think of, is still not just a walk in the park.
Sure, I know that Spain is not a third world country, (medical) help will be nearby or quick on the scene and there aren't any raging torrents or towering peaks to be braved. But you can still get caught out in a rainstorm, or find yourself lost and forced to spend the night outside.
Use common sense and make sure you are prepared enough for the most basic of eventualities. Less gear is always better, especially when you have to carry it, but verify that what you have will work for you when or if you need it.
'The camino provides' is a very nice catchphrase, but I'll still pack some snacks and water, just in case it doesn't. Accepting kindness of strangers is a whole different ball game than having to rely on it. I've unfortunately had some occasions of being down and out while on the road, and there is nothing even remotely romantic about it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I find the reasoning 'more expensive equipment = better experience' as ridiculous as most here on this thread do. But I'm also picking up some 'equipment doesn't matter' vibes, and I strongly disagree. A Camino, while not as outdoorsy as some other hikes I can think of, is still not just a walk in the park.
Sure, I know that Spain is not a third world country, (medical) help will be nearby or quick on the scene and there aren't any raging torrents or towering peaks to be braved. But you can still get caught out in a rainstorm, or find yourself lost and forced to spend the night outside.
Use common sense and make sure you are prepared enough for the most basic of eventualities. Less gear is always better, especially when you have to carry it, but verify that what you have will work for you when or if you need it.
'The camino provides' is a very nice catchphrase, but I'll still pack some snacks and water, just in case it doesn't. Accepting kindness of strangers is a whole different ball game than having to rely on it. I've unfortunately had some occasions of being down and out while on the road, and there is nothing even remotely romantic about it.

I agree. Even if I did find the girl mentioned above inspirational, I tend to carry everything that I know I may need, even in an emergency. Granted, I sleep outdoors a lot, from choice, and to do that comfortably I need to carry more than most. My pack weight is a constant 16 kilos. My choice. Apart from my boots, socks and rucksack, most of my kit isn't of the top notch expensive kind. If you can afford it, good for you. I'm just saying I am no better than the girl who had nothing. I just cant get over how happy she was with so little.

Davey

I'm just saying I am no better than the girl who had nothing. I just cant get over how happy she was with so little.

It is not a question of being better than the girl. I can understand both the inspiration you felt, and the happiness she felt. Being close to autonomous while having virtually nothing can be very heady stuff.
But at some point the novelty wears off, and the daily grind of finding food and shelter becomes too much. If your health doesn't cave in first. It's a hard life out there, and the Camino can only provide so much.

It is not a question of being better than the girl. I can understand both the inspiration you felt, and the happiness she felt. Being close to autonomous while having virtually nothing can be very heady stuff.
But at some point the novelty wears off, and the daily grind of finding food and shelter becomes too much. If your health doesn't cave in first. It's a hard life out there, and the Camino can only provide so much.

Once again I agree. For almost 20 years I lived on the streets of the UK, much of that without claiming benefits as I wasn't eligible. There is no way I would want to be back there again! Nowadays if I choose to walk for months on end and sleep outside occasionally I like to be comfortable and equipped for it! If I am comfortable it is enjoyable. (And sometimes I can afford to treat myself and get a hotel room once in a while). Being comfortable does not have to be expensive though.

Minimalist hiking is ok as long as you do not set off relying on the generosity of others. The girl did no ask for generosity. And I am too old for minimalist! I was amazed at how little she had, she was amazed at how much I was carrying. Even I noticed that some pilgrims looked down at her like some sort of tramp, she was ignored as if she did not exist, it annoyed me, it did not annoy her though. As I say, she was an inspiration, it was like meeting an angel. I hope wherever she is, that she is well.

Davey

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We all start our Camino from a different place , walk our own way, and walk away somehow better in different ways. More expensive equipment may be a factor for some and not for others . Neither makes one for a better experience, only different.

Perhaps you could tell us what you are thinking, because the answer @trecile gave is so obvious - of course not! One doesn't get a better experience by outspending other pilgrims!

Perhaps you meant to ask if better equipment makes for a better experience for an individual? @Kitsambler gave a good answer to that.
I was reminded of comments that I got while on the camino. My pack was from Walmart and my sneakers were asics and it just seems that some people feel that expensive is better. They agonize for months over what brand to buy. I guess I was being sarcastic.

no offense, but that's a rather odd question
If someone's Camino experience (or their entire life's experience) depends on how expensive their material things are in order to find joy, they're kinda damned.
You can go to Wal-Mart right now and find everything you need to walk the Camino and have a great time.
Mark, please see my comment below. I wrote the post after reading another thread with everyone posting about buying expensive gear.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I assumed the question was rhetorical, especially with that thread title. But then I would be interested in the OP's reason for "asking" it. Hopefully this doesn't become another of those "what is a real pilgrim experience" things...
I was being sarcastic. I can afford to buy a $200 pack but I didn't see the need to and I had comments made about my pack and sneakers.
I am told that a good corkscrew is essential. :p
Usually we had the bottle opened where we bought it.

I don’t believe you are trolling, so is it because:

a) You want to have the best pilgrim experience, but you can’t afford to buy all the equipment;

b) You can afford to buy high-tech equipment, but you already have stuff that will probably do, so why buy more?;

c) You can buy whatever you want, so should you buy the best for the best experience?

I have seen many poor little rich kids on the camino, with all their expensive equipment, and some have a good experience, and some don’t.

Equipment has nothing to do with it.

You could start (anywhere) with what you are standing up in, and walk to Santiago if you really wanted to . . . and maybe that would be the best pilgrim experience of all
(but I don’t think I’d try that in mid-winter).
Jill
Hi Jill, I replied to several of the posts so I won't repeat. I agree with most of the posters and I didn't feel the need to buy high end gear. I completed Frances in 2015 and I am trying to find a doable one in the USA that won't take too long and has places to stay along the way. I hope to return to Europe and do another one.

I wasn't trying to start problems, but more so saying that it makes do difference what you use.

Patricia you started a lively and interesting discussion. :)
And most here would probably wholeheartedly agree with you--@Tinkatinker said it most directly.:D
As for the people who commented about your gear? A pity that they didn't seem to understand what the Camino's about...well...there are insensitive people everywhere.

I wasn't trying to start problems, but more so saying that it makes do difference what you use.
It really doesn't, as long as you have what works for you. And I am told that there are tables full of gear at Roncesvalles free for the taking, that "seemed like a good idea at the time". There are things that I will spend money on, and others I don't really feel a need to do so. As others here have so artfully said here: "the money you spend on equipment will not guarantee you a meaningful caminio, as that comes from within."

Patricia you started a lively and interesting discussion. :)
And most here would probably wholeheartedly agree with you--@Tinkatinker said it most directly.:D
As for the people who commented about your gear? A pity that they didn't seem to understand what the Camino's about...well...there are insensitive people everywhere.
Thanks Viranani, It seems when the subject comes up in threads on what to buy it is always the expensive brands. If I really wanted to I can afford to but my pack had plenty of pockets and I didn't have to take alot of things out when I needed something. I really get annoyed at people that you need a certain thing to get it right.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really get annoyed at people that you need a certain thing to get it right.
Yeah, well..they're likely trying like heck to get it right and probably feel insecure or envious when they see you happily sailing along--'getting it right' without spending all the money they did.
Not that there's a 'right way' anyway. That's the secret Camino teaching;)

Thanks Viranani, It seems when the subject comes up in threads on what to buy it is always the expensive brands. If I really wanted to I can afford to but my pack had plenty of pockets and I didn't have to take alot of things out when I needed something. I really get annoyed at people that you need a certain thing to get it right.
I've recommended several items that I bought at the Dollar Store. :)

Mark, please see my comment below. I wrote the post after reading another thread with everyone posting about buying expensive gear.
Gotcha, and I wasn't directing my comments about expensive stuff and materialism towards you. They were directed outwards, not to anyone in particular.
I'm a big proponent of doing the Camino on the cheap, not because I have to, but because I don't ever want someone who reads this forum to think that they have to buy expensive stuff to walk the Camino. I want everyone to walk it and I don't want it to be intimidating in any way to anyone. Physically, financially, etc...
cheers ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I really get annoyed at people that you need a certain thing to get it right.

Argh, don't get annoyed, not worth it ;) I did have comments on my backpack (I think it was £7.99 from Lidl :D ). I never took it badly and I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant badly. People were just surprised I walked with what they called a 'school satchel' . :D I walked to Fisterra that year with no problems.
I only started buying 'better' gear when planning for another, long (6 months) pilgrimage and I carried camping gear. I do think it is fear that makes us look into the equipment with such care... It certainly was the case for me...
Buen, future, caminos! :)

I still believe in a good corkscrew. I have standards. :p

I still believe in a good corkscrew. I have standards. :p
I bought boxed wine for .59E and when I bought a bottle I had the store or bar open it. Boxed wine has a bad reputation but it is actually better for the environment and many wineries are opting for them.

I bought boxed wine for .59E and when I bought a bottle I had the store or bar open it. Boxed wine has a bad reputation but it is actually better for the environment and many wineries are opting for them.

There are some good wines that come in a box, and they are easier to transport. Easier on the environment, there is an argument for that either way: I make wine, cider and beer as a hobby. Friends give me their empty wine bottles, and I reuse, and reuse and give back dividends to friends. I am looking forward to trying Spanish Sidre too.

There are some good wines that come in a box, and they are easier to transport. Easier on the environment, there is an argument for that either way: I make wine, cider and beer as a hobby. Friends give me their empty wine bottles, and I reuse, and reuse and give back dividends to friends. I am looking forward to trying Spanish Sidre too.

Ah! For Spanish Cidre you need Asturias! Camino San Salvador then Camino Primitivo! And the whole 'rules' and drama of how it is served and drank. Wonderful!

Most of us can manage with less.

I've spent money on an expensive backpack, but it has lasted for years and will last for many more years. My husband's backpack was used by him for several caminos and since then has been used by three other people - it deserves a compostela of its own. I expect it to keep on keeping on. Same with his sleeping quilt and silk liner. In our house good gear is communal property.

Then there is the bargain hunting. For me part of the fun of preparing for the Camino (and it helps to pass the time enjoyably while waiting) is the gear. How exciting when Aldi has merino on sale. Or those down Costco blankets - never yet seen in Australia but I'm watching. And then there is @Tigger 's Vietnamese fisherman's hat/umbrella....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Most of us can manage with less.

I've spent money on an expensive backpack, but it has lasted for years and will last for many more years. My husband's backpack was used by him for several caminos and since then has been used by three other people - it deserves a compostela of its own. I expect it to keep on keeping on. Same with his sleeping quilt and silk liner. In our house good gear is communal property.

Then there is the bargain hunting. For me part of the fun of preparing for the Camino (and it helps to pass the time enjoyably while waiting) is the gear. How exciting when Aldi has merino on sale. Or those down Costco blankets - never yet seen in Australia but I'm watching. And then there is @Tigger 's Vietnamese fisherman's hat/umbrella....
Hi Kanga, I love Aldi's. My walking buddy works there and when I visited Australia two years ago I shopped at Aldi's and brought back one of their plastic bags wishing their customers a merry Christmas. I gave it to my friend and she took it to her manager and said why can't we have bags wishing our customers a merry Christmas. BTW in Pennsylvania Aldi's does't sell wine.

Ah! For Spanish Cidre you need Asturias! Camino San Salvador then Camino Primitivo! And the whole 'rules' and drama of how it is served and drank. Wonderful!
I enjoyed watching the professional bartenders pouring the cidre on the Norte and Primitivo, but did not appreciate the drink at all! :p

I enjoyed watching the professional bartenders pouring the cidre on the Norte and Primitivo, but did not appreciate the drink at all! :p

Yes it is not everyone's 'cup of tea'! I loved it, very refreshing but nowhere near as strong as Devon Scrumpy! But then I can't stand wine!

Hi Kanga, I love Aldi's. My walking buddy works there and when I visited Australia two years ago I shopped at Aldi's and brought back one of their plastic bags wishing their customers a merry Christmas. I gave it to my friend and she took it to her manager and said why can't we have bags wishing our customers a merry Christmas. BTW in Pennsylvania Aldi's does't sell wine.
I love Aldi's too, but in my part of Illinois, our Aldi's do not sell any clothing, let alone merino wool!

Just because they commented does not they were intending to be disparaging. It is very easy to take comments wrong. Perhaps those people were thinking "Hmmm. I wonder if those cheap things were as functional as my expensive things. I wonder if my concern about top quality equipment was necessary. I wonder..."

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

No -- the expense or cheapness of your gear only makes one significant difference, which is that some people who actually care about this nonsense will either shun or seek you according to the social class they perceive you as belonging to. Wasn't the case back in the 1990s or earlier, but it's definitely the case in the 2010s. :(

Purkey wrote :

"Use common sense and make sure you are prepared enough for the most basic of eventualities. Less gear is always better, especially when you have to carry it, but verify that what you have will work for you when or if you need it.
'The camino provides' is a very nice catchphrase, but I'll still pack some snacks and water, just in case it doesn't. Accepting kindness of strangers is a whole different ball game than having to rely on it. I've unfortunately had some occasions of being down and out while on the road, and there is nothing even remotely romantic about it."[/QUOTE]

Hear, Hear !

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My observation is that people who have expensive outdoor gear aren't ever seen more than a day from the road.

My other observation is the real wilderness experience begins more than a day from the road.

I guess the observations can be extrapolated to non-wilderness settings like the camino.
I'm a wilderness backpacker, not used to the urban/suburban walks like the Camino and I consider them totally different experiences.

So I used some expensive outdoor gear on my Camino but it was because that was the type of gear I already owned. The Camino is a series of "day hikes" from town to town with beds and food awaiting at each stop. Wilderness journeys take backpackers from remote camping sites to other remote camping sites, day after day, seeing few, if any people, while carrying all the gear needed to provide shelter, cook food, purify water, etc. Wilderness backpackers tend to pay $$$ for high performance fabrics, light weight gear, multi-purpose clothing.

Seems to me I experienced 2 different Camino experiences. Neither is remotely like the experience of wilderness backpacking, nor does either have anything to do with $. Both are nearly mutually exclusive. People who partake in TYPE 1 miss out on TYPE 2 and visa-versa. Of course some will alternate between the 2 types but while partaking in either you essentially exclude the other.

Camino Experience TYPE 1 = interacting with other pilgrims, friendship, commonality, fellowship, sharing, helping, mutually providing. This includes communal sleeping, communal dining, mostly pretty lousy pilgrim meals that are generally filled with great conversations.

Camino Experience TYPE 2 = interacting with the culture of residents and the regions through which you walk. This includes meeting locals on their terms, perhaps sharing a private meal in their home with their family, etc.

Of course there are spiritual aspects, party atmosphere, etc to the Camino for many, those can be encountered regardless of what type of experience you partake in.

My wife and I grew weary of "Type 1" experiences very quickly as this is a foreign type of travel for us. It seems very touristy to us. We prefer the "Type 2" experiences but, depending upon circumstances we alternated between Type 1 and Type 2 Camino experiences as the opportunities presented themselves.

Just my observations, but none of those things have much to do with equipment costs, which seem irrelevant.

There is no 'the pilgrim experience' I'm focussing on 'the' as a definitive article .... each person enjoys their experiences in their own way. I'm accepting of the expensive no scuff tribe who are equally acceptable as the woven flax body blanket folks. What's the issue here? It's about us/others again, who is doing it right and who is doing it a little bit wrong.... this is not how to approach any pilgrimage. If those who hang onto their kit feel more secure and are happier then good for them they don't like scuffs well good for them- I'm full of admiration for the careful self caring pilgrim whatever shape or form they take.

€60,-
I made an effort a few years ago to buy a genuine Laguiole knife (not as easy as you might think btw). I spent quite some time and a lot more money than I would have if I just bought an simple Opinel knife in the store around the corner. That Opinel would do the job just as well, is lighter and a lot cheaper.
But every time I use my Laguiole, whether on a hike or a holiday, I smile like an idiot. It just is a thing of beauty, very functional and still insanely sharp. It might be daft, but for me it adds to the experience.

Having said that, more expensive does not necessarily mean better. But I like to be able to trust my equipment so I don't have to deal with leaks in my tent, ripping seams in my pack or clothes that leave me cold and/or wet. So I do the research and, if possible, buy secondhand. Which leaves me with good gear for a reasonable price.
Ditto for my Laquiole corkscrew! Love to just hold it in my hand, even brings a smile when opening a beer!

Seems to me I experienced 2 different Camino experiences... Both are nearly mutually exclusive... Of course some will alternate between the 2 types but while partaking in either you essentially exclude the other.
It seems quite normal for most pilgrims to experience both elements - you did, I did, and most do. They are only mutually exclusive in an abitrary short time frame.

I'm a wilderness backpacker, not used to the urban/suburban walks like the Camino and I consider them totally different experiences.

So I used some expensive outdoor gear on my Camino but it was because that was the type of gear I already owned. The Camino is a series of "day hikes" from town to town with beds and food awaiting at each stop. Wilderness journeys take backpackers from remote camping sites to other remote camping sites, day after day, seeing few, if any people, while carrying all the gear needed to provide shelter, cook food, purify water, etc. Wilderness backpackers tend to pay $$$ for high performance fabrics, light weight gear, multi-purpose clothing.

Seems to me I experienced 2 different Camino experiences. Neither is remotely like the experience of wilderness backpacking, nor does either have anything to do with $. Both are nearly mutually exclusive. People who partake in TYPE 1 miss out on TYPE 2 and visa-versa. Of course some will alternate between the 2 types but while partaking in either you essentially exclude the other.

Camino Experience TYPE 1 = interacting with other pilgrims, friendship, commonality, fellowship, sharing, helping, mutually providing. This includes communal sleeping, communal dining, mostly pretty lousy pilgrim meals that are generally filled with great conversations.

Camino Experience TYPE 2 = interacting with the culture of residents and the regions through which you walk. This includes meeting locals on their terms, perhaps sharing a private meal in their home with their family, etc.

Of course there are spiritual aspects, party atmosphere, etc to the Camino for many, those can be encountered regardless of what type of experience you partake in.

My wife and I grew weary of "Type 1" experiences very quickly as this is a foreign type of travel for us. It seems very touristy to us. We prefer the "Type 2" experiences but, depending upon circumstances we alternated between Type 1 and Type 2 Camino experiences as the opportunities presented themselves.

Just my observations, but none of those things have much to do with equipment costs, which seem irrelevant.

Interesting observations, but -- it's rural, rather than urban/suburban.

And more importantly, there's no guarantee whatsoever of comfort nor ease when you walk from home rather than flying in and taking the easy route from SJPP -- granted that doesn't add up to wilderness trekking, but if that's the sort of experience you seek in Europe, then just "thru-hike" the entire Via Alpina instead ... :p

Interesting observations, but -- it's rural, rather than urban/suburban.
Some of it is rural. But I considered a lot of it suburban. When you can see towns in the distance, in more than 1 direction, that is not, to my mind, rural. But to others it might be rural so we can just agree that you don't go too far in between villages, towns and cities.

It seems quite normal for most pilgrims to experience both elements - you did, I did, and most do. They are only mutually exclusive in an abitrary short time frame.
Not really our experiences because my wife & I talked/walked with many who, nearing Santiago, had eaten those awful 'Pilgrims Meals' virtually every day. Many never ventured to the other side of a town where the locals eat, many never ate with the locals. In fact I think that, of the folks my wife & walked/talked with, that would apply to the vast majority of pilgrims.

Honestly I met ZERO other pilgrims who ate in the homes of local residents, who played in their yards with their pets, who entertained their grandchild during dinner. If you are saying that most pilgrims do that then I'd guess the people we crossed paths with were a very unusual lot.

Last edited:

I have a son in his 30's who is a wilderness backpacker, having hiked 1000 miles of the Appalachian trail, the 200+ mile John Muir trail and 400+ miles of the Colorado trail. I have had a lot of admiration for his perseverance, but being in my early 60's knew I could never accomplish what he has done with that kind of hardship involved, yet a desire for adventure was/is in me.

Fast forward a year later when I saw Martin Sheen's movie "The Way". I said to myself, "Wow, I think I could do this!" ...No bears, no 40 lb pack, no dirty tent to deal with, much less hardship, yippee!

I retired a year later and turned my new found dream into a reality. My backpacking son has accompanied me on two different Caminos and we head out again in April, this time joined by my other son and his wife. Hubby meets up with us later to tour by car for a few more weeks.

I love walking the Caminos and they are perfect for me! I don't care if they are urban, rural or whatever. Planning, preparing and walking them all make me feel like I am on an adventure. I have traveled to many islands and countries over the years, but the Caminos are what stand out to me as some of my most exciting travels! I only hope my good health continues so I can "keep on keepin on"!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm preparing for my first Camino. And preparing for the Camino helps me get through my day to day experiences right now - the anticipation and the luxury of planning reminds me that I am a capable and competent person. So I love reading about people's gear recommendations.

But I am uneasy. On one hand I wanted to do this with as little stuff as possible; on the other I am also afraid - of random things like bringing too much, or too little, or the wrong thing, or being in pain, or being without something important. I am just generally afraid of regret. I see lots of shiny things that I want to go out and buy (like a Scrubba, a Macabee skirt, the perfect set of socks, a new backpack, a fancy toiletries bag). Most of these things probably won't make my experience any better, but I am having a hard time weeding out the stuff that is shiny but won't add value, and the stuff that really has value beyond the Camino. I don't want to use the Camino as an excuse to be a consumer.

I think I will be spending some more time trying to buy used (thereby not increasing the amount of stuff in the world) and experiment with making some optional gear. If I must buy something, I want to really like it. And despite the weight, I will bring two pieces of (relatively) heavy gear that I use all the time now and that make me feel happy with myself. (I think that is how musicians end up with cellos on the Camino.)

So I have a different question for the forum: without referring to a specific piece of gear, what would you say is a good test if an object should not be left behind?

(And thank you Patricia Benish for starting this thread)

@Northern Laurie good idea. Having too much choice is one of the things that makes us unhappy - and that is one of the problems with the overwhelming amount of information on this forum - it creates dilemmas with gear. My experience is that no-one gets it all right. But we all manage fine. So just accept that perfection ain't gonna happen, but you will still have a wonderful time. Its a lot easier. A lot of my learning on the Camino is about letting go of control.

As to the actual gear - well, I took a Scrubber on the Norte and would not bother again. I get dermatitis and thought it would help. It did, but any dry bag will do the same thing (pretty much). And most of the time I did not bother.

The Macabi skirt I like and wear. But only because they have the best pockets and I don't need a separate security pouch. Any number of other bits of clothing works. The only essential criteria is that it dries fast and can be layered.

Socks - my best ones came from Aldi. Cheap as.

Backpack. On my first Camino I had a really expensive, very good, very large backpack. It was too heavy. I gave it away and bought a small, cheap Spanish model in León. It was great - I'd probably still be using it if my daughter had not stollen it and taken it to China.

Getting the gear is fun; when it becomes stressful it is time to relax, let go, and know that it will all be OK.

Some of it is rural. But I considered a lot of it suburban. When you can see towns in the distance, in more than 1 direction, that is not, to my mind, rural. But to others it might be rural so we can just agree that you don't go too far in between villages, towns and cities.

Most villages are rural, and not urban or suburban at all -- it's true that since Franco tarmacked much of the Camino and especially since the full economic development around the Camino started in the 1990s, some of that rurality has receded, and continues to do so ; but the cities like Logroño, Burgos, or Ponferrada, or the towns like Belorado or Estella (and the more suburban villages surrounding them) still do not form most even of the Francès ; and certainly not of the other pilgrim routes or those further away from Santiago than SJPP.

Nevertheless, even such larger villages as Castrojeriz are still rural, and one shouldn't be fooled by the specific infrastructures that are in place for the pilgrims specifically in such locations.

I do understand that the experience of rurality is very different in the US than in Europe, as is the experience of suburbia. Similar vastly sprawling suburbs do exist here, in South East England, around Paris, and in various parts of Germany, just for starters -- but except to some more limited extent around the aforementioned Logroño, Burgos, or Ponferrada, or Leon and Santiago itself, the Camino is very unlike a trek through the sprawling suburbs of London or Paris (I've done both).

(nice conversation BTW :cool: )

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Before my Camino, I have hiked a lot in South Africa and a few times in The Fish river Canyon in Namibia and when it was time for the Camino I just took everything that I already have and it was fine. My hiking boots were then 8 years old and like old friends, after the Camino it was the end of the road for them but they did carry me through the Camino (± 800km) without a blister. I have experience that expensive is not always better. Thermal underwear cost an arm and a leg at our outdoor shops and the same underwear (without the fancy name of thermal) can be bought at Ackermans for a few rand and it is definitely better. Not that you need it on the Camino, just saying. For my birthdays and other anniversaries, my family buy me hiking gear for gifts and that is the best gear, expensive or not because it came from people dear to my heart!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back