• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What sarong/pareo fabric is best?

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
If I am still close or under my goal weight I may add a sarong or pareo. Might sew my own or order off etsy. So....what do they weigh? Isle the on packing lists but usually without weight mentioned. What fabric will end up weighing the least (if I order off etsy)? Thanks!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would think silk would be lightest. But even then, there are different weights of silk.

Id go with the silk. For one thing, its better as a windbreaker, and although we think of silk as being so delicate its really quite a resistant fabric.Drys fast...plus it feels so nice against the skin.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Would something like this do?

http://www.amazon.com/Turkish-Peshtemal ... 61W5SW4OIS

I have several and love them. I use them at the gym since I swim or do water aerobics a cople times a week. I spread it out over the back of the back seat in my car and its dry by morning. Covers me from chest to top of my knees. I've even taken them in restaurants or theaters to spread over my legs if its chilly. The darker colors seem to be a little less see through when wet. :wink:

If not where would one find a silk pareo? I checked Amazon but wasn't sure what to look for.

Hi Great Dane,
Some random thoughts....Having just gotten back from the camino, I would say take the one that dries the fastest and is the most durable. Although some people manage to look pretty pulled together on the camino, how things look quickly becomes less and less important and functionality rules when it comes to what you want to carry and use. Much as I love silk, one of the problems with it is that the fabric runs forever when it's washed so you have to be careful.
Another consideration is whether you want to be able to use it when you get back. My experience especially from long caminos, is that few things come home in decent shape. I always take clothes and things that are old and expect that things may be useless by the time I get back. That was certainly the case on my most recent camino which was almost 3 months. Everything will go in the ragbag (except my towel/sarong)
I took a light cotton, not quite voile one, which I made myself. It served as a towel, sarong and a 'light blocker' in albergues. I often hung it down the side of my bed when the lights were bright and shone in my eyes when I was ready to sleep. It wasn't a great towel - but then after terry cloth nothing is. It dried fast, it was light - just a few ounces- and was bright and cheery. I liked it and it's still usable.
Buen camino!

Thanks all! After visiting my local fabric store and not liking anything, I dropped by Target knowing they do carry scarves and pareo. Found a purple and black one one the clearance rack and bought it. Made of viscose, weighs 120g for the 42x74" fabric. I'll be running a wash and dry yet on it today at noon ( though drying it at our today's forecast of 110f is cheating).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
SisterSimon said:
Id go with the silk. For one thing, its better as a windbreaker, and although we think of silk as being so delicate its really quite a resistant fabric.Drys fast...plus it feels so nice against the skin.

Strength properties of silk is one of my son's speciality areas http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1751616111001998 and was the subject of his masters thesis!!!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.