• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What season Sleeping bag

matt kent

Time of past OR future Camino
future may 2018
Hi all am going to be heading out to walkthe Camino in may, starting out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and just wondering what season of sleeping bag I will get away with taking ? Is a two season sleeping bag ok ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all am going to be heading out to walkthe Camino in may, starting out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and just wondering what season of sleeping bag I will get away with taking ? Is a two season sleeping bag ok ?

A two season bag is fine, a rating of 40f would be more than sufficient. Personally, in spring or fall, I use a sleeping quilt which weighs 11 ounces. If I need more warmth i put on a light jacket or a base layer.

I have a very light 6 oz bag, but most times just a sleeping bag silk liner. Many albergue have blankets. Another hint, often ignored, your natural body heat is 98 degrees F/38 c’. The lighter the clothes you sleep in...the warmer you will be.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a very light 6 oz bag, but most times just a sleeping bag silk liner. Many albergue have blankets. Another hint, often ignored, your natural body heat is 98 degrees F/38 c’. The lighter the clothes you sleep in...the warmer you will be.

A lot of folks have believed that over the years; some had even advocated sleeping naked in a sleeping bag. But that has long proved not to be the case. A sleeping bag is an insulating layer. Adding additional insulating layers -- by wearing clothing in the bag -- increases the warmth ratio of the bag, just as layering clothing while awake increases the warmth of the clothing. :)

Wow! That's really light. Do you have a brand or link to your bag?

Costco Eddie Bauer or Black Double Diamond duvet will do. (They are the same, sold under two names).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A lot of folks have believed that over the years; some had even advocated sleeping naked in a sleeping bag. But that has long proved not to be the case. A sleeping bag is an insulating layer. Adding additional insulating layers -- by wearing clothing in the bag -- increases the warmth ratio of the bag, just as layering clothing while awake increases the warmth of the clothing. :)
My point is: if you remain in your usual gear...that is counter productive. But, if you wear a poly-pro sleep shirt and shorts you will retain body heat.

The laws of thermodynamics agree with Dave here. Whether your layers are clothes or a heavier sleeping bag, or both, is irrelevant. It all adds up to the composite R factor. If you are cold in the night, put on some more clothes.

My point is: if you remain in your usual gear...that is counter productive. But, if you wear a poly-pro sleep shirt and shorts you will retain body heat.

I guess I don't quite understand. :) If what you are saying is that clothing dampened by moisture -sweat, rain -- is counterproductive to wear in a sleeping bag, then I agree; until the worn clothing dries out. But any clothing worn, that is dry, will increase the warmth of a sleeping bag. If I am missing something, please let me know; but it has been proven that wearing dry clothing in a sleeping bag does not interfere with the bags insulating properties, only increases it.

It is one of the ways that I and thousands of thru-hikers on the PCT, Colorado Trail, and Appalachian trails who go ultra light, decrease the needed weight of a sleeping bag, or quilt. Decreasing the amount of bag insulation by making up for it by wearing additional layers as needed, has worked successfully. In this way, I can take a 40F rated bag when expecting temperatures to be at a low of 15-20F.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Matt,

I walked throughout May in 2015 using just a silk liner and was only cold on one night somewhere round about O'Cebreiro. As you can see from my profile pic I carry a fair amount of onboard insulation with me so your experience may differ but I certainly wouldn't go for anything other than a very light bag.

You may have a couple of cool nights but the reduction in weight and bulk over 4 weeks or so walking should more than make up for it.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Lightest sleeping bag you can afford and carry. Personally I would never carry anything heavier than around 680 grams/24 ounces.

Hi Matt,

I walked throughout May in 2015 using just a silk liner and was only cold on one night somewhere round about O'Cebreiro. As you can see from my profile pic I carry a fair amount of onboard insulation with me so your experience may differ but I certainly wouldn't go for anything other than a very light bag.

You may have a couple of cool nights but the reduction in weight and bulk over 4 weeks or so walking should more than make up for it.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Thank you rob appreciate your reply

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used a quilt from Costco and a silk liner during my winter walk and did really good.
The good news is ultralite isn’t always have expensive. Like @J F Gregory, several members on this forum walk with a sleeping sheet and Costo quilt. Worth doing a search on Costo quilts because lots of useful information in earlier threads about attaching clips or velcro to stop the quilt from slipping.
Good question and buen camino :)

I used a quilt from Costco and a silk liner during my winter walk and did really good.

Great to know. We're starting in a month and I've been second guessing the quilt and silk liner system we'd planned to take. Thanks for sharing JF, it makes me feel better about it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lightest sleeping bag you can afford and carry. Personally I would never carry anything heavier than around 680 grams/24 ounces.
I carry a lightweight, cheap Naturehike brand sleeping bag at 24 oz., costing only $35 US. No need to spend big bucks when we are nearly always (99%) sleeping indoors on the Camino.

I know that it is nearly a year since this conversation took place but as others will read going forward am adding my thoughts.
I walked the Le Puy route in 2014 and did a lot of research beforehand including the sleeping bag question. In the end, following lots of advice and feedback, I only took a silk liner (started 1st April) and was glad to not be carrying a sleeping bag. Wasnt needed in any gite and was never cold - and I tend to be a cold sleeper.

This trip, starting 1st March in Seville, I am taking a bag as my understanding is the Spanish accommodation sometimes doesn't have blankets.
Again I did a lot of research as I'm going to be walking for 4 or 5 months and need to minimise weight and will be carrying a tent this time as well as sleeping mat and walking umbrella. I've chosen the aegismax ultralite bag. Packs down really small and is 529g (I got the larger size as I'm a bit claustraphobic). Still to be tested, but looks very good so far.

I know that it is nearly a year since this conversation took place but as others will read going forward am adding my thoughts.
I walked the Le Puy route in 2014 and did a lot of research beforehand including the sleeping bag question. In the end, following lots of advice and feedback, I only took a silk liner (started 1st April) and was glad to not be carrying a sleeping bag. Wasnt needed in any gite and was never cold - and I tend to be a cold sleeper.

This trip, starting 1st March in Seville, I am taking a bag as my understanding is the Spanish accommodation sometimes doesn't have blankets.
Again I did a lot of research as I'm going to be walking for 4 or 5 months and need to minimise weight and will be carrying a tent this time as well as sleeping mat and walking umbrella. I've chosen the aegismax ultralite bag. Packs down really small and is 529g (I got the larger size as I'm a bit claustraphobic). Still to be tested, but looks very good so far.

Aegismax worked a treat for me. And it packed down smaller that the sleeping bag liner I purchased and returned.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sleeping gear is very personal. For example, I cannot use a liner, as I get totally tangled in it to the point where I can neither breathe easily nor sleep. I cannot use anything with down insulation on a long walk, as I am allergic to down and become increasingly sensitized over time. And I sleep cold. On the caminos, I use a light weight sleeping bag (about 680 g.) with artificial fill and change over from a warm base layer to very light and cool, depending on the temperature in the albergue and availability of blankets. My suggestion is to try out your sleep system before you leave and to keep it as flexible as possible, so you can adapt to varying conditions.

Aegismax worked a treat for me. And it packed down smaller that the sleeping bag liner I purchased and returned.

great to know that Gerip...thanks!

A two season bag is fine, a rating of 40f would be more than sufficient. Personally, in spring or fall, I use a sleeping quilt which weighs 11 ounces. If I need more warmth i put on a light jacket or a base layer.
That is what I am bringing, if it gets cold I'll wear fleecy & socks to bed

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.