• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What shall I pack?

MissTrant

Time of past OR future Camino
August ā€œ2019ā€
I will be walking Le Puy for 4 weeks commencing 1st June. This will be my first long distance walk and I am carrying my stuff. Suggestions for what to pack would be welcome. Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, great plans! So much to consider and it can get overwhelming.

In the search box above the forum you can check out similar questions and go down the rabbit hole of many many packlists and work out what could work for you. Mostly, what you are wearing now for hiking will perfectly well on most camino's, and it all depends and how much you want to carry and the money you have to spend. Both ends of the spectrum, and anything in between works for different people.

Buen camino!

Suggestions for what to pack would be welcome.
As @klimmo says, there is so much information about this. I sometimes think I can distill my advice into some simple statements but it never seems to work as well as I think it should.

Anyhow:
  • if you are already walking regularly, use the gear you would use for a long summer walk. This includes trekking poles and trekking mitts if you use them, and the footwear you use, or update your footwear if it is nearing the end of its useful life
  • pack another set of the clothes, and then an extra set of base layers, underwear, socks, etc
  • protect yourself #1 - have one of hat, gloves, light buff, rain protection and wind protection garments - lighter garments will work okay in summer. Consider an umbrella to use as a parasol.
  • protect yourself #2 - a first aid kit - you need enough to treat blisters and small wounds on the spot and to continue the treatment for at least another day. Pharmacies outside of the large towns are often not open when you are near them.
  • protect yourself #3 - medical items - clearly any regular medication you take, and you might want to carry something to treat diarrhoea or vomiting, rhinitis and a small amount of your preferred analgesics.
  • protect your modesty at night - as a bloke, I pack a pair of boxer shorts or sleep in the gear I am wearing the next day. You might want something more. Not quite about modesty, but I always carry a sleeping bag and liner, but my walks in Spain have been in spring and early summer. This forum has plenty of advice on that.
  • take care of your hygiene and laundry - soaps, lotions, potions and pastes. You don't need scents or antiperspirants, but you will still smell people who use them. Normally, they won't smell you if you don't.
If you don't already walk regularly, start reading. This forum is a great place to start, but don't limit yourself. Find the associations and other organisations that provide support to pilgrims along your proposed route, and get in touch with your local pilgrim association and find out when and where they meet, and get in touch with others who have a passion for pilgrimage in all its forms

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
I will be walking Le Puy for 4 weeks commencing 1st June. This will be my first long distance walk and I am carrying my stuff. Suggestions for what to pack would be welcome. Thank you
I don't know where you live but if you live near a place that has a chapter of a camino organization I would contact them and I am sure there would be an experienced pilgrim or two you could meet to discuss your backpack packing. You do not have much time do it quickly. You need to be walking and training with your pack ASAP.

Google Camino Packing Lists and look over a bunch to see common items and suggested brands which will vary by gender/location/age/personal preference. Some will have links to Amazon for gear to give you an idea of prices if there are things you will need to purchase (scroll down the Amazon page for package weights if its there).

In short you will need clothes, shoes and a pack. Rain gear. Warm gear. Cool gear. Toiletries. Water bottle. Electronics and chargers. Sleeping bag/blanket.

Start with what you have. Think about what you usually pack for a holiday. Make a list of the things you think you will need, stuff it all in a pack to find out how much it weighs and then start pulling out the things you won't need - if something is needed on Camino you can find it in one of the cities.

Buen Camino!

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Iā€™m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use whatā€™s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Wellā€¦ā€¦ about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.