• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What shall I remove from my pack.... 🤔

DavidR

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: April 2018
Future: October 2022
Hey all!
I'm waling the Frances in a few weeks, and currently I have an 8kg pack and trying to trim that down.
I'm only 163cm tall (but currently weight 80kg because I need to lose about 15kg - hence the Camino 😅)

Love some feedback on my thoughts below:

Thinking to remove:

Insect repellant
- assuming they aren't really in issue in October?

Headlamp - do you think this is essential? I'll be walking during the shoulder season, so it wont be that hot nor a rush for beds, so thinking I don't have to leave the Albergue at 5am every day - maybe leave 7-8am.

Medical kit - I wont remove it per say, but what would you suggest are the essentials? Need any bandages or literally just a few band aids and some disinfectant and some blister patches? And I have vaseline, sunscreen and a few anti-inflammatories, anti-histamine and anti-diarohea (just incase)

Sleeping Bag Liner - worth it? Use this instead of a sleeping bag? Or too cold since ill be walking in October/November?

Sleeping Bag 500 grams - I didn't take one on the Camino Notre 4.5 years ago and only had one night without a blanket. Are there more places on the Frances that need it? Given that I am walking at a quieter time so should be less competition if there are limited blankets.

Pillow slip - necessary? Or worth bringing one just in case?

Rain pants - I'll be picking up an Altus Poncho in SJPdP. I was considering bringing rain pants to protect the legs also (or add warmth). But will I really need them? I do have two pairs on long leg hiking pants (one of which can zip off and become shorts), I could wear the two pairs of those at the same time for warmth if it was particularly cold...

Pocket Knife - Any good reason to have one of these?

I think that's it... I'm pretty happy with my clothes' and have minimal tech, just phone and battery pack.

Thanks in advance - feel free to be blunt (or kind and caring) - either is good for me 🥰🙏

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Definitely lose the insect repellent. I used only a sleep sack during Oct and was fine, but I sleep warm. Blankets exist, but it’s hit and miss. Your medical kit should be VERY basic as pharmacies exist all throughout the CF.

But I think the REAL excess weight is coming from elsewhere as these are minor items. What else are you packing?

I never found any use for my pocket knife on the CF. I did carry an ultralightweight first aid kit. Only thing I used was the antibiotic ointment which I gave to another pilgrim who got a huge cut on his hand.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have never needed a headlamp, vaseline or a pocket knife.
I would take the sleeping bag, but not the liner. I do like having my own pillow case.
Basic 1st aid is fine. You don't really need more.
A good poncho (like an Altus) is enough, you don't need rain pants too.

Agree with the question about what else is in your pack making it be 8kg? i am 168cm, 78kg. and my pack is 6kg without water.

I'd assess the headlamp based on your ability to see at night... if you aren't leaving for a few weeks, then the sun won't be coming over the hills in Galicia until about 8:30am when you are in the last stages. And if you leave later than that, you'll just be walking right until supper time without having time to do the other things you need to do.
Def. ditch the rain pants -- they leave you with wet legs anyway! because you sweat inside them. Not sure of the weight of the Altus poncho, but Decathlon sells a very good competitor that comes in around 210g. So if you can, you could order one of those. I'm about your height and the one-size over-the-pack model is great.
Can you possibly replace the sleeping bag with a small down quilt? There are a number of options available on Amazon that come in at about half the weight of a sleeping bag. Stuff inside your liner (which I'd definitely keep for that time of year).
I stripped about 100 g out of my medical kit by removing: excess bandaging, Benadryl stick, etc. Do see if you can pull it down to the bare basics.
Some people take tooth tabs instead of toothpaste -- I found that if you are going for 3 weeks or less, the travel paste wins on the weight, but if you are going for the 6-week length, the tabs win.
I like a dry shampoo bar, but I removed it from beeswax wrap because the wrap was too heavy....
So look to see if you can save on packaging. Yes, I remove my D.O. stick from its chamber...
All in all, I whittled my pack down to 13.5 pounds, including the pack weight itself.
Do try to see if you can lose even a KG before you leave.... that's a big deal in terms of cumulative stress on the knees over successive days!
buen camino
PG

I carried an 8kg pack for 26 miles yesterday on the West Highland Way in Scotland. That included 1 litre of water and a lunch weighing 300grams. So, about 6.7 of essentials. Though it was missing a Sleeping bag, will definitely take one, charger leads, toiletries and medicines and some paperwork. I may need to drop it by 0.5kg to accommodate above. I had an Altus rain coat, an umbrella, second pair of trail shoes and flip flops. I won’t bother with rain pants as I intend to walk in shorts. Repellant is not something I considered.

Dependant on your morning starts I would considering keeping the head torch. Drop the insect repellen.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree with the above suggestions. I took a pocket knife, but didn’t use it. However, I brought bandaids and didn’t use those, either. Should I have not brought them? Some things are good to have, like carrying antibiotic ointment mentioned above.

I didn’t use rain pants and, trust me, I encountered A LOT of rain. My tech pants (convertible, like yours) protected my skin, dried quickly. My legs never got that cold while I was walking. However, I might consider a pair of tights/lightweight long underwear if I was concerned about cold. I used a rain jacket, not a poncho, and enjoyed the ease of getting into and out of it in bad weather.

I use a summer sleeping bag but use what you are used to, if a liner keeps you warm enough.

People with headlamps inadvertently wake people in the rooms who are sleeping by shining lights in their faces as they move around, try to find the loo in the middle of the night, pack to get out early, etc. Don’t take a headlamp, use a flashlight. You will have your hands free when you need that light. I used a solar powered one that hung off my backpack, gave enough light when I needed it. But, yes, take a light, just not a headlamp.

In really challenging weather, walk less. Don’t endanger your health and safety. And use hiking poles.

I've never needed insect repellant on the Camino between May and September.

I'd keep the headlamp. Because Spain's time zone doesn't match its longitude sunrise comes an hour later than it should. For example today in León sunrise is at 7:56.

Wet is more of a concern than cold at that time of year - usually.

I’m not a poncho-phile; but if I were I’d shed the waterproof trousers and walk in shorts. A pair of low gaiters would help keep your feet dry. Or less wet.

Blankets are reported to be less universal than they once were. The liner or sleeping bag decision is a matter for how warm you sleep. I’d take the bag.

The head torch is not really necessary if you’re not contemplating a pre-dawn start.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey all!
I'm waling the Frances in a few weeks, and currently I have an 8kg pack and trying to trim that down.
I'm only 163cm tall (but currently weight 80kg because I need to lose about 15kg - hence the Camino 😅)

Thinking to remove:

Insect repellant

Headlamp - do you think this is essential? I'll be walking during the shoulder season, so it wont be that hot nor a rush for beds, so thinking I don't have to leave the Albergue at 5am every day - maybe leave 7-8am.

Medical kit - I wont remove it per say, but what would you suggest are the essentials? Need any bandages or literally just a few band aids and some disinfectant and some blister patches? And I have vaseline, sunscreen and a few anti-inflammatories, anti-histamine and anti-diarohea (just incase)

Sleeping Bag Liner - worth it? Use this instead of a sleeping bag? Or too cold since ill be walking in October/November?

Sleeping Bag 500 grams - I didn't take one on the Camino Notre 4.5 years ago and only had one night without a blanket. Are there more places on the Frances that need it? Given that I am walking at a quieter time so should be less competition if there are limited blankets.

Rain pants - I'll be picking up an Altus Poncho in SJPdP. I was considering bringing rain pants to protect the legs also (or add warmth). But will I really need them? I do have two pairs on long leg hiking pants (one of which can zip off and become shorts), I could wear the two pairs of those at the same time for warmth if it was particularly cold...

I think that's it... I'm pretty happy with my clothes' and have minimal tech, just phone and battery pack.

Thanks in advance - feel free to be blunt (or kind and caring) - either is good for me 🥰🙏
HI David
I am almost identical in height and weight to you, and I carry 8 kg comfortably. I have walked in April, May. June, July, September and October.
I have never carried insect repellent and have never needed it.
A headlamp is useful if you need to move around and alberque at night but point it down so as not to disturb others.
A basic medical kit is vital.
I have only ever used a sleeping bag liner. A sleeping bag is bulky and awkward to carry and pack. I was on the Camino in May/June this year and all the alberques I used provided blankets if required.
A pillow slip is just not required.
I never used rain pants. If it rained, I walked in shorts, and they dried as quickly as my legs.
Pocket knife was in my first aid kit but never used.
I worked on one to wear, one to wash and one spare clothing wise.
Hope this helps.
Buen Camino.
Vince

Definitely lose the insect repellent. I used only a sleep sack during Oct and was fine, but I sleep warm. Blankets exist, but it’s hit and miss. Your medical kit should be VERY basic as pharmacies exist all throughout the CF.

But I think the REAL excess weight is coming from elsewhere as these are minor items. What else are you packing?
Thank you! And you prompted me to re-itemize and weight everything.

So have just redone my list and its actually 10.6kg :rolleyes: Everything is listed below

But ill be wearing around 600 grams of clothes on any given day. And if I removed everything listed above (and reduced the medical kit) I would save 1.5kg

However this doesn't include water - I'll carry a litre most days - so best I have so far is 9.5kg total walking weight 😫

Again, feel free to be blunt about what you would cut 🙏

Total Weight10671
ITEMQuantityWeight
Clothes
Walking shirts2450
Walking pants2714
Light jacket1343
Long Sleve Merino1198
Hat184
Walking Socks4230
Underwear4225
Sleep shirt1160
Sleep shorts1190
Sleep socks121
Gloves145
Pillow case1111
Rain jacket (Altus)1340
Rain Pants1180
Flip flop sandals1338
Spare shoe laces120
Boxers175
Beanie + Buff1127
Knee brace1114
Gear
Trekking Poles1480
Backpack11100
Light weight daypack120
Sleeping Bag1500
Sleeping Bag Liner1260
Water Bladder1174
Knife/fork/spoon124
Sun glasses122
Headlamp1229
Cup120
Technology
Power Bank1365
30W Charger175
USBC to Lighting130
USBC to USBC160
iPhone XS1216
iPhone 141206
Euro Aussie/Euro Adapter168
Selfie Stick1104
Watch126
Medical/Toiletries
Rubbish bags30
Towel130
Toilet Paper56
Hikers Wool30
Safety Pins23
Vaseline50
Hydrolyte59
Ibuprophen20
Antihistamine3
Magnesium200
Tumeric63
Lip balm11
First aid kit365
Sunscreen45
Wet ones (wipes)89
Talc Powder (anti-perspirant)83
Soap260
Hand Sanitiser98
Dental Floss15
Moisturiser212
Nail clippers48
Pocket knife126
Zip Lock Bags20
Toothbrush39
Toothpaste60
Shower scrub cloth20
Wash cloth28
Denture tabs for cleaning water bladder20
Ear plugs12
Massage ball145
S hook48
Other
RFID Bag28
Passport41
Wallet, Money, Docs250

Wet is more of a concern than cold at that time of year - usually.

I’m not a poncho-phile; but if I were I’d shed the waterproof trousers and walk in shorts. A pair of low gaiters would help keep your feet dry. Or less wet.

Blankets are reported to be less universal than they once were. The liner or sleeping bag decision is a matter for how warm you sleep. I’d take the bag.

The head torch is not really necessary if you’re not contemplating a pre-dawn start.
Thank you, and yes I think a sleeping bag may be the way to go given the time of year (I prefer to sleep warm) 🙏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
HI David
I am almost identical in height and weight to you, and I carry 8 kg comfortably. I have walked in April, May. June, July, September and October.
A headlamp is useful if you need to move around and alberque at night but point it down so as not to disturb others.
I have only ever used a sleeping bag liner. A sleeping bag is bulky and awkward to carry and pack. I was on the Camino in May/June this year and all the alberques I used provided blankets if required.
I never used rain pants. If it rained, I walked in shorts, and they dried as quickly as my legs.
Hope this helps.
Buen Camino.
Vince
That does help, thank you 🙏

Have never needed a headlamp, vaseline or a pocket knife.
I would take the sleeping bag, but not the liner. I do like having my own pillow case.
Basic 1st aid is fine. You don't really need more.
A good poncho (like an Altus) is enough, you don't need rain pants too.

Agree with the question about what else is in your pack making it be 8kg? i am 168cm, 78kg. and my pack is 6kg without water.
Thanks for the feedback! I have posted a big list above in reply to the other person - please feel free to go through and give critical feedback 😅 🙏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh goody; a list. We haven’t had one for a while.

RFID bag. A personal hobby horse. The only function this serves is that it’s a bag, the RFID element is utterly pointless. I’ve offered on many occasions to send €50 to the first person who can cite an authenticated police report of a crime committed remotely which accessed a chip on a card. It’s a scam.

Too many socks.

Rain jacket or poncho, not both. I prefer jacket, but it’s debatable.

Two iPhones?? Do you work for the Aussie version of the CIA?

You’re a bloke and an Aussie? Too many toiletries mate. If the moisturisers necessary, take less than 200g.

Scrub cloth and wash cloth? Pick your favourite.

Selfie stick. Bin. Please.

Some would say lose the sleep clothes - I disagree; there are standards to be maintained. You might shed the socks though if you’re in a sleeping bag.

Last edited:
Repellent and knife unnecessary. I would take a headlamp, with red light function, both to gather your things in early mornings and for trail use as needed. I love my Petzl Zipka Plus 2 for its retracting cord. The red light will preserve your night vision and be much less bothersome to sleepers. The one thing I would add is a silk sleep mask to go with foam earplugs for those less considerate about light pollution.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Head lamp with red light is definitely needed for those albergues that are pitch dark all night.

knife is definitely necessary if you plan to make your own sandwiches. Don't know how many times pilgrims asked to borrow my knife. And take a real knife, not a 5 cm pocket knife.

Sleeping bag--ALWAYS...and a sleeping pad . Slept on many hard floors.

rain pants are worth their weight in gold.

Don't need water bladder. Don't need phones.

Why backpack and a daypack?

First, you should explain what “sleeping clothes” are for the German pilgrims on this site - they certainly abstain from any form of those 😉

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey all!

Thinking to remove:

Insect repellant

Headlamp - do you think this is essential? I'll be walking during the shoulder season, so it wont be that hot nor a rush for beds, so thinking I don't have to leave the albergue at 5am every day - maybe leave 7-8am.

Insect repellant - didn't need in the summer on the Norte/Primitivo or the Frances.

Headlamp - optional. I do like having mine for the rare occasion that I walk in the dark - but my flashlight on my phone works in that situation almost as good. Most people don't walk very many hours in the dark - if any at all.

Medical kit - just a couple items for blister care and if you bring medications for "as needed" only bring a dose or two worth. You really don't need much and you can buy just about everything along the way.

Sleeping bag - YES! It was cold at night for me on both of my summer Caminos - 1 year there were very few blankets available and the other year blankets were at most places I stayed - but in October? I would definitely bring a sleeping bag.

Rain pants - I skip them and walk in shorts when I can and make sure my pants are a quick dry material. I do make sure to bring a good rain coat (or poncho is fine - but I hate ponchos)

Pocket knife - well - they do come in handy sometimes, but I managed both of my month long Caminos without one. Would have come in most handy for cutting bread - but I am willing to just rip the bread and skip the knife.

And regarding that battery pack - if you WANT it then fine - but I didn't need one. I charged in the evening and turned off my phone while sleeping so the battery was pretty freshly charged in the AM. And the rare occasion it needed a recharge during the day - I just stopped in a bar and ordered food and asked if I could charge my phone. Only had to do that twice on 2 Caminos and that was only due to excessive use on those days. Some people charge the battery pack in the albergues and then recharge their phone at another time because they don't want to leave their phone unattended while charging - but I never had the need to leave my phone unattended while charging in the first place. Anyhow - battery packs add a bit of weight so thought I would let you know how I handled phone charging.

I'd keep the headlamp. Because Spain's time zone doesn't match its longitude sunrise comes an hour later than it should. For example today in León sunrise is at 7:56.
Hijacking the thread to remark about how crazy that sunrise time is, even though we know already that Spain is on the wrong time zone. Further west in Santiago, sunrise tomorrow is 8:08am. I'll be in Rome tomorrow, which is on the same time zone as Spain. Sunrise is at 6:44am.

Carry on.

P.S. Not seeing much love for pocket knives so far but I use mine almost every day on camino. But that's mostly because I eat picnics for lunch most days. Handy for opening bottles of wine too!

So have just redone my list and its actually 10.6kg :rolleyes: Everything is listed below

Knee brace - will you wear that every day? Or are you bringing for "just in case". If "just in case" I would leave it at home and only buy one in Spain if you need it. But - if you know there is a good chance that you will need it - then bring it.

In addition to my previous comments - pillow case is not needed but a few people bring as a luxury item. I find the disposable pillow cases to be sufficient.

Do you need the shower scrub cloth and a wash cloth? Can you skip bringing one or both? Do you really need the wet wipes? Why 2 phones? Do you really want to carry a selfie stick? Your "as needed" medication weights tell me you are probably bringing more than you need - take them out of bottles and put them in tiny ziplock baggies and label them - and only bring maybe 2-4 of each kind of pill you think you need. Of course - for prescription medications bring all that you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lots of good advice up above.

Agree to no rain pants - every time I put mine on it refused to rain!

If you're worried about the cleanliness of pillows (I've worked in a refugio - some people drool worse than a bloodhound so I don't blame you) you could wrap it in your towel.

No selfie stick - I know it's the Great Australian Invention but if you want you can always use a rubber band or hair scrunchie to hold your camera phone on to a hiking pole (edit out the shaky bits)

Yes for a simple pocket knife - pick up a cheap Opinel copy or some such. People claim to never need them but then buy plastic wrapped ham or cheese slices that need a chain saw to open them. A knife is a lighter weight solution! If you do take one you'll make an awful lot of new friends.

Beanie, Buff and hat? Choose one.

Headlamp - probably. Sunrise in the Rabanal area around 20th October will be 08:45 People will be leaving much earlier than that and you'll get carried along with the tide. You do not want to be out and about on a goat track in semi darkness. You can use your phone but that will run down the battery and you should be using both poles on rough ground. Also dim it - some apps allow a coloured filter, choose red inside the refugios.

Buen Camino!

Hijacking the thread to remark about how crazy that sunrise time is, even though we know already that Spain is on the wrong time zone. Further west in Santiago, sunrise tomorrow is 8:08am. I'll be in Rome tomorrow, which is on the same time zone as Spain. Sunrise is at 6:44am.

Carry on.

P.S. Not seeing much love for pocket knives so far but I use mine almost every day on camino. But that's mostly because I eat picnics for lunch most days. Handy for opening bottles of wine too!
You drink wine that comes in bottles with a cork? La-di-dah indeed 😉

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I walked last year in Nov/Dec and found our headlamps were a God-send. As has been noted sunrise for us was just before 8am, and we were mostly on the trail between 07 and 0730. The lamps saved us a few times...particularly spotting arrows...or being seen by passing vehicles.

Enjoy your walk. Buen Camino.

Leave it as it is !
Yes and include the headlamp

headlamp bonus situations:
finding the toilet in the middle of the night in an empty convent when you cannot find the switches
-finding a votive tree before daybreak
-or w the read light on avoid disturbing sleeping pilgrims 3 o´clock in the morning ( no pic) :

1662822992494.png 1662823157741.png

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

But ill be wearing around 600 grams of clothes on any given day. And if I removed everything listed above (and reduced the medical kit) I would save 1.5kg

However this doesn't include water - I'll carry a litre most days - so best I have so far is 9.5kg total walking weight 😫

Total Weight10671
ITEMQuantityWeight
Clothes
Walking shirts2450
Walking pants2714
Light jacket1343
Long Sleve Merino1198
Hat184
Walking Socks4230
Underwear4225
Sleep shirt1160
Sleep shorts1190
Sleep socks121
Gloves145
Pillow case1111
Rain jacket (Altus)1340
Rain Pants1180
Flip flop sandals1338
Spare shoe laces120
Boxers175
Beanie + Buff1127
Knee brace1114
Gear
Trekking Poles1480
Backpack11100
Light weight daypack120
Sleeping Bag1500
Sleeping Bag Liner1260
Water Bladder1174
Knife/fork/spoon124
Sun glasses122
Headlamp1229
Cup120
Technology
Power Bank1365
30W Charger175
USBC to Lighting130
USBC to USBC160
iPhone XS1216
iPhone 141206
Selfie Stick1104
Watch126
Medical/Toiletries
Rubbish bags30
Towel130
Toilet Paper56
Hikers Wool30
Safety Pins23
Vaseline50
Hydrolyte59
Ibuprophen20
Antihistamine3
Magnesium200
Tumeric63
Lip balm11
First aid kit365
Sunscreen45
Wet ones (wipes)89
Soap260
Hand Sanitiser98
Dental Floss15
Moisturiser212
Nail clippers48
Pocket knife126
Zip Lock Bags20
Toothbrush39
Toothpaste60
Shower scrub cloth20
Wash cloth28
Ear plugs12
Massage ball145
S hook48
Other
RFID Bag28
Passport41
Wallet, Money, Docs250
Loving your very detailed list. Are you taking laundry sheets to wash clothes in ?

Total Weight10671
ITEMQuantityWeight
Clothes
Walking shirts2450
Walking pants2714
Light jacket1343
Long Sleve Merino1198
Hat184
Walking Socks4230
Underwear4225
Sleep shirt1160
Sleep shorts1190
Sleep socks121
Gloves145
Pillow case1111
Rain jacket (Altus)1340
Rain Pants1180
Flip flop sandals1338
Spare shoe laces120
Boxers175
Beanie + Buff1127
Knee brace1114
Gear
Trekking Poles1480
Backpack11100
Light weight daypack120
Sleeping Bag1500
Sleeping Bag Liner1260
Water Bladder1174
Knife/fork/spoon124
Sun glasses122
Headlamp1229
Cup120
Technology
Power Bank1365
30W Charger175
USBC to Lighting130
USBC to USBC160
iPhone XS1216
iPhone 141206
Selfie Stick1104
Watch126
Medical/Toiletries
Rubbish bags30
Towel130
Toilet Paper56
Hikers Wool30
Safety Pins23
Vaseline50
Hydrolyte59
Ibuprophen20
Antihistamine3
Magnesium200
Tumeric63
Lip balm11
First aid kit365
Sunscreen45
Wet ones (wipes)89
Soap260
Hand Sanitiser98
Dental Floss15
Moisturiser212
Nail clippers48
Pocket knife126
Zip Lock Bags20
Toothbrush39
Toothpaste60
Shower scrub cloth20
Wash cloth28
Ear plugs12
Massage ball145
S hook48
Other
RFID Bag28
Passport41
Wallet, Money, Docs250
I've struck out quite a bit of your list above. Click Expand to see it. I've also assumed you'll be wearing some of this stuff, unless you are planning on doing Camino naked while carrying to much. So deduct the weight of your day clothes from your pack-weight or get rid of the third pair of trousers / shirt etc

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Back again.

Daypack. If it is 20g it must be one of those cuben fibre ones, in which case OK. If it’s not 20g you probably don’t need it.

‘Knife fork spoon cup.’ If you have a penknife already that list should read ‘spoon’

Let’s talk pants (uk definition), three pairs underwear; one pair boxers; one pair sleep shorts - need I go on?

200g magnesium. Well that’s quite a lot. If it’s really necessary might it be available in a big-city pharmacy which you’re going to experience five or so times en-route.

I have to say, for a chap with a perfectly reasonable packed weight, you haven’t half packed it out with avoidable items.

I do, however, admire a man who weighs his safety pins. I discovered during lockdown that you get more purchasing power per gramme out of €20 notes than €10 notes; which I suppose is obvious, but I’ve confirmed it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You dont need sleep gear, just the clothes you're wearing the next day.
One sun hat - buy a buff if you need more
Leave rain pants and insect repellant behind
I did use a knife, and took a spork but rarely used it,
No toilet paper, grab a few serviettes
I take a moisturizing sunscreen not both
No Shower scrub cloth, or selfie stick
For water I buy a single-use water bottle and then reuse it every day. Cheap, light and easy to clean
You seem to be taking a lot a phone stuff.

I take 2 pairs of walking clothes, 3 underwear and socks, one poncho, a puffer jacket, a fleece, very lightweight sleeping bag, liner, toiletries, phone, charger, passport etc, medication, flip flops, pen, reading glasses, a journal, a few things like a hook, safety pins etc - and come in at 6 kgs (dont weigh the clothes you walk in or your poles).

I do weigh everything (well I did the first time), and I buy the most lightweight I can find. I do only take small amounts of toiletries etc. You can buy stuff when you run out.
You'll be surprised how little you need.

Last edited:
One of my t-shirts becomes a pillowcase at night. I alternate my 2 hiking pants between walking and sleeping pj's. Soap-embedded laundry papers, 1/2 bar combined soap, shampoo and conditioner. Opinal knife and bowl for picnic lunches. Freezer bags and insulated 'Big Sky' bag for leftovers. Clothes are wear one/wash one. Safety pin clothes pegs. 28L pack

What kind of soap is weighing 260 g? My total soap (hair, body, clothes) is a small bar weighing 50g.

Your 212 g of moisturizer seems excessive - a good size tube weighs 100 g.

If you need more of either, you can buy it.

Could a 50g tennis ball replace your 145g massage ball?
Liquid soap, but yeah I'm seriously reconsidering that 😅 And agreed with the moisturizer, will half it and put in a smaller container. And the massage ball sadly is worth the weight - have tried the tennis balls but they don't have enough oomph for what I need :(

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Knee brace - will you wear that every day? Or are you bringing for "just in case". If "just in case" I would leave it at home and only buy one in Spain if you need it. But - if you know there is a good chance that you will need it - then bring it.

In addition to my previous comments - pillow case is not needed but a few people bring as a luxury item. I find the disposable pillow cases to be sufficient.

Do you need the shower scrub cloth and a wash cloth? Can you skip bringing one or both? Do you really need the wet wipes? Why 2 phones? Do you really want to carry a selfie stick? Your "as needed" medication weights tell me you are probably bringing more than you need - take them out of bottles and put them in tiny ziplock baggies and label them - and only bring maybe 2-4 of each kind of pill you think you need. Of course - for prescription medications bring all that you need.
Knee brace is based on my experience last time (I bought it in the first week as I was having issues). But in saying that, I only needed it for a week. And while training for this one I have had no issues, so yeah I can scrap that 🙏

Cheers re: pillow case

Yes will consolidate meds and put in smaller/lighter containers,
Selfie stick - maybe, ill ponder that more
2 phones - may be able to switch to one, I just have to be able to keep my aussie number always available for *reasons*, and was gonna get a local sim for the second phone. But may be able to do duel sims by using esim for the European one - and just use one phone.

Wet wipes - hmmmm i guess if I have the TP, can probably skip those

Cloths - yeah...

Oh goody; a list. We haven’t had one for a while.

RFID bag. A personal hobby horse. The only function this serves is that it’s a bag, the RFID element is utterly pointless. I’ve offered on many occasions to send €50 to the first person who can cite an authenticated police report of a crime committed remotely which accessed a chip on a card. It’s a scam.

Too many socks.

Rain jacket or poncho, not both. I prefer jacket, but it’s debatable.

Two iPhones?? Do you work for the Aussie version of the CIA?

You’re a bloke and an Aussie? Too many toiletries mate. If the moisturisers necessary, take less than 200g.

Scrub cloth and wash cloth? Pick your favourite.

Selfie stick. Bin. Please.

Some would say lose the sleep clothes - I disagree; there are standards to be maintained. You might shed the socks though if you’re in a sleeping bag.
And can neither confirm nor deny that I work for the Aussie CIA.....

The RFID thing is actually just like a money belt thing, the annoying one that hangs around your neck 😅 I agree that its a scam, not even sure where I got it

Thanks for the tips, will adjust accordingly. And I agree on the sleep clothes, unless of course its a nudist retreat.....which it isn't.... unless the Albergue is full of Germans.... @Vacajoe 😅

Thinking to remove:

Insect repellant

Ditch them both.
What you have plus a roll of Coban wrap for a sprain, and a roll of omnifix for blister prevention and treatment.

One or the other, Personally, I'd take the bag but a lighter one.

Ditch it.
Ditch them. I take leggings for warmth and if they get wet, so what.

I like one, but a very small one - a Victorinox card that has a tiny knife and a bunch of other stuff in a very light small package.

Replying to the poster who suggested leaving the tp at home and swiping napkins from the cafe/restaurant. No, just don't. Imagine if everyone did this?
Same thing with just buying a bottle of water and using that. With 350,000 pilgrims walking per year, that is 350,000 plastic bottles if everyone did that.

Most people who have taken a cup, claim to have never used it. If you have a water bottle, just use that. Mine are metal and I often put other drinks in there besides water, cause they are easy to wash.

For hand laundry, I use my body wash or shampoo. Works just as well.

Don't include the weight of what you are wearing or the poles.

Having something to sleep in is great, not everyone wants to sleep in their clothes that they are wearing the next day. T-shirt and boxers are probably fine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey all!

Thinking to remove:

Insect repellant

Keep the sleeping bag.
The knife is not necessary and will be confiscated by TSA. If you really think you will be walking in the dark, Keep the headlamp. One with a red light option is good if you need it at night in the hostel. It won't disturb others. Most places offer disposable or cloth pillow slips.
The poncho is a very good item. I would hesitate to wear both zip off pants at the same time if it's raining. You'll want a dry pair when you arrive at your sleeping place. You can layer dry clothes if your hostel is quite chilly. (And there will be chilly places those months)
My last recommendation is to not carry the battery pack. There are plenty of places to charge your phone. Just keep an eye on it while doing so.

Buen Camino!

Knife? This is an opportunity to purchase a HIGH Quality knife made in Toledo. I always buy one in Spain and mail it back to US after walking a Camino. They are QUALITY, not the Junk knifes sold in Tourists stores.

Keep the sleeping bag.
The knife is not necessary and will be confiscated by TSA. If you really think you will be walking in the dark, Keep the headlamp. One with a red light option is good if you need it at night in the hostel. It won't disturb others. Most places offer disposable or cloth pillow slips.
The poncho is a very good item. I would hesitate to wear both zip off pants at the same time if it's raining. You'll want a dry pair when you arrive at your sleeping place. You can layer dry clothes if your hostel is quite chilly. (And there will be chilly places those months)
My last recommendation is to not carry the battery pack. There are plenty of places to charge your phone. Just keep an eye on it while doing so.

Buen Camino!
Thankfully the TSA confine their rather belligerent presence to the United States. The OP is unlikely to encounter them.

Most pocket knives are prohibited in carry-on luggage; but not all luggage is carry-on.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thankfully the TSA confine their rather belligerent presence to the United States. The OP is unlikely to encounter them.

Most pocket knives are prohibited in carry-on luggage; but not all luggage is carry-on.
No one was talking about belligerent TSA agents, but since you brought it up, I've encountered grouchy agents in other countries.

Spain confiscated my Swiss Army Knife. I think all airports do this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My husband and I ditched our rain pants for rain kilts/skirts. Lighter than a feather (well, 75 grams), effective, and easy to put on and take off.

My husband and I ditched our rain pants for rain kilts/skirts. Lighter than a feather (well, 75 grams), effective, and easy to put on and take off.
Make that feathers plural and you are close. 😉

€60,-
I walked in September / October, and here's my take ... with the caveat that everyone is different!

Insect repellant - never used

Headlamp - never used, never wanted one. I actually found them irritating on others.

Medical kit -... band aids, blister treatment, sunscreen, anti-diarrheal ( just in case). The anti-inflammatories I bought in Spain were stronger than the ones I get in the US. Vaseline if you use it.

Sleeping Bag Liner - Mandatory.

Sleeping Bag - I needed mine. Sometimes for warmth, sometimes because I preferred it to the albergue blankets.

Pillow slip - nah.

Rain pants - I prefer rain pants + jacket over using a poncho.

Pocket Knife - Any good reason to have one of these? To open wine bottles and cut cheeses. I used mine frequently.

I never found any use for my pocket knife on the CF. I did carry an ultralightweight first aid kit. Only thing I used was the antibiotic ointment which I gave to another pilgrim who got a huge cut on his hand.

I used my pocket knife for lots of things, but mostly cheese and opening bottles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did not use a sleeping bag liner, but did use my sleeping bag. I like to know I have a warm nest every night. :)

I never needed bug repellent.

I did need a first aid kit with pain killers, plasters, blister care stuff (antibiotics, etc.). The first camino I used it on me, the other camino I used it to help others.

Pillow case-- yes. I packed my clothes in it when I took my laundry to the washing machine/dryer. I put my jacket in it at night to make a pillow (though, i could have used just my jacket). Maybe a compression sack would have worked just as well.

I wore rain pants against the wind as well as the rain. -- I have a light weight pair of rain pants, and then a serious heavier pair that has easy zip off (down the sides, and over boots-- with pockets. I wear these when riding horses). I'd take the lightweight pair on the camino.

Take a knife for cheese, bread, wine bottles, tweezers, etc.

HI David
Hope this helps.
Buen Camino.
Vince
Thank you david this is helpful. I'm booked to walk CF on May/June 2023 from SJPDP. I'm aside from the basic i'm considering bringing Headlamp, bag liner, and preferred Poncho. If i'm buying Poncho at SJPDP how much it is and what type? If you happens to know. I want pretty basic to cover my backpack and ditch it after my Camino. Also do you recommend bringing extra trail/runners if I need want to rest my feet with my hiking shoes? Thank you again

i'm buying Poncho at SJPDP how much it is and what type?
In St Jean Pied de Port you can reserve an Altus "poncho" at Boutique du Pelerine. I put poncho in quotes, because it's really not a poncho, but an oversized rain coat with room for your backpack.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In St Jean Pied de Port you can reserve an Altus "poncho" at Boutique du Pelerine. I put poncho in quotes, because it's really not a poncho, but an oversized rain coat with room for your backpack.

When you reserve your poncho at Boutique du Pelerine, be sure to tell them your size and gender. I am a medium-sized woman and I told them my height, but when I arrived in late September, I found that they had reserved a L/XL size for me because they thought I was a man, based on my name. They had run out of the other sizes by then, so I am the owner of a very huge and heavy Altus poncho!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.