• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

what shirt to wear while walking

matt1234

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago del Norte August, September 2015
After long days of walking in the August sun with a backpack on, I'm anticipating to have quite a sweaty back. I've read on these forums that a lot of people recommend wearing a long sleeve shirt, but no one seems to recommend wearing polyester t-shirt. These are light, quick drying and don't soak up as much liquid as cotton shirts.

I always wear them for cycling, anyone done the camino wearing them?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was able to purchase a merino wool t-shirt at Costco. This was a great choice for my Camino in September -Oct. Dries quickly, resists the dreaded stink, and is a broad purpose shirt. ( cool and warm days)
A worthwhile investment IMHO.
C

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My vote goes for merino wool as well. Remarkable stuff: keeps you warm in winter and hugely reduces sweating in summer. On hot days I wear a merino t-shirt for the first few hours, then as the sun gets up change to a long sleeved one to help protect my arms from burning.

The high tech synthetics are fantastic. But NEVER take cotton. Bulky, sloew drying. Merino is also a good choice, but all of mine are a bit itchy so I prefer synthetics.

Until my walk last month I had always walked in short sleeves, but this year got my first sunburn ( my fault, at the albergue I sat in the sun on purpose since it had been too chilly until that day to walk without my fleece and I was going to go back home white as a ghost) and wished I had a very light but long sleeved shirt to wear.

My favourite Camino shirt is the polyester Columbia brand 'Men's Tamiami ll long sleeved' in the shade 'Sail'.
It is not cheap (depends on the colours), is well made, has vents across the back, and is available with short sleeves, and in women's models.
Nothing but long sleeved Polyester!
Good Hunting!
Regds
Gerard

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used synthetic shirts, but now it would be merino wool long sleeves. 150 light version Smart Wool. It is 100 degree temps here but they are cooler than Cotton & no stench dry very fast.
Only negative is the price difference. Yet old man smell I don't think others appreciate.

I also walk in a long-sleeved button-up Columbia Silver Ridge shirt with a collar. It's a very light synthetic that dries quickly. Collar turns up two times for sun protection and sleeves are cut to protect the back of your hands. When you want more air you just roll up the sleeves. But after wearing it for 33 days in a row, my pack did rub a hole in the back. Apart from that, I loved it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have 3 long sleeve shirts.

Anthracite insulating zipped T for when it is cool and breezy.

Lightweight merino when warmer.

White linen for hot and sunny.

---

The white shirt is a repurposed dress shirt that sits well in public places.

The merino is the all-time favorite

The tech T is a welcome additional layer when the evening temperature drops below 10

Me too - merino fan. Take layers. I have merino singlet, short-sleeved and long sleeved. Beware of quality though. Not all ‘merino’ is ‘merino’. If it’s scratchy, likely is not 100% merino.
Cheers

After long days of walking in the August sun with a backpack on, I'm anticipating to have quite a sweaty back. I've read on these forums that a lot of people recommend wearing a long sleeve shirt, but no one seems to recommend wearing polyester t-shirt. These are light, quick drying and don't soak up as much liquid as cotton shirts.

2 points:

1st, another fan of Merino wool. Never cotton. Never-ever Polyester t-shirts, which, when mixed with perspiration = a nasty funk smell. But Merino does not. While sheep smell, their wool is virtually odor free, even when soaked in sweat.

FWIW 150 weight Merino wool is not SPF rated for sun protection.

2nd, back sweat from a back pack. Look for a pack with a mesh suspension system. Many light/small/quality packs have some sort of a mesh suspension backpanel that puts mesh against your back and then an airspace that is typically 1" or more between that mesh panel and the actual pack. The mesh suspension system was originally developed by the founder of Lowe Alpine packs 20+ years ago but the system is now fairly common from many companies.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You'll get as many answers about shirts as you will about Footwear :)

It will depend a lot on the weather and if you tend to walk 'hot' or 'cold'.

I tend to walk 'hot'. I was unsure what would suit me so I took a selection. I tried these on my Camino (May this year, and it was warm most days).

1. Polyester / Cotton mix. I only wore this at night, but it would have been OK walking.
  2. Merino. Only wore at night. for warmth. (Lightweight version) Far too hot to walk in.
  3. Tech Nylon. I walked in this.

Whatever you wear, if you tend to sweat a lot, make sure the shirt is loose fitting. Nothing worse than being hot and sweaty and having a shirt 'cling' to you.

I don't quite understand the huge support for Merino. But I suspect the people who like them are slim, not overweight and don't sweat much anyway ;) But I would certainly use them in Winter / Cool weather. i.e. 10 degrees C and below.

If you want to use Merino..........please......please......try them out walking on a hot day. As you should 'test' all your gear of course ;)

Oh, and I wore long sleeve at all times. As well as long pants. (and broad hat, gloves .....)

1. Firstly for sun protection. saves having to use sun block all the time. And I saw lots of sunburn!
  2. For weather protection. Stops wind chill.
  3. And.....if you want to........you can roll up the sleeves :D
See the short video on this link called 'avoiding sunburn'. Third one down the page.
http://robscamino.com/7th-of-may-the-way-to-navarrete/

Last edited:
On both my Caminos all I wore were polyester tech type shirts. I had short sleeved and long sleeved ones. They worked perfectly. Kept me cool and dry and were easy to wash and dried quick on the line. They were not that expensive, so if I lost one, no big deal.
I wear them everyday when I go running.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The mesh suspension system was originally developed by the founder of Lowe Alpine packs 20+ years ago but the system is now fairly common from many companies.
I think Deuter was the first to develop a mesh suspension system as we know it today. Greg Lowe (founder of Lowe Alpine and Lowepro) was the developer of the first internal frame backpack, not the mesh suspension system. Prior to that there had been a variety of external frame packs with mesh panels. I still have my old Berghaus Centurion from the late 1970s that had a mesh suspension on an external frame.

I use merino in all weathers,a quick overnight or even an hour's airing works wonders.Wash if you must en route but a cold water wash with soap or shampoo is fine-the essential thing to remember is rinse temperature needs to be same as wash temp so old sorts that
Merino in different weights works well for layering

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think Deuter was the first to develop a mesh suspension system as we know it today. Greg Lowe (founder of Lowe Alpine and Lowepro) was the developer of the first internal frame backpack, not the mesh suspension system...
Doug, I think you may be right. I stand corrected. My memory isn't what it used to be. Lowe was internal. Deuter was trampoline/mesh suspensions.

Whatever was available :) Often Shampoo.

Seriously, you'll get used to washing everything and yourself in the same product..... It's all Soap ;)
Yup. Merino shirts, washed & rinsed in the sink or even on the body while in the shower, then removed/rinsed and hung to dry.

I use merino in all weathers,a quick overnight or even an hour's airing works wonders.Wash if you must . . .
This is an excellent point, somewhat glossed over.

But with Merino you don't have to wash it as often to remove odor. Obviously any shirt needs to be washed if it is dirty.

With technical nylon/poly/etc blends they tend to stink badly when they absorb perspiration. There are anti-microbial treatments that SOME synthetic shirts are treated with, but I find they only work for a while and they don't work all that well. I love the feel of some synthetics and like to use them as sun shirts and often wear synthetic tech shirts at pajama shirts to bed, but I hate the funk and stink that they garner when working, hiking, etc and collect a bit of perspiration.

Last edited:
On day 6 of the Frances now, Torres de Rio. Always long sleeves, have used both 150 gm merino or patagonia's tropical hoody 2. Both working well. Love the thumb holes for more sun protection. Breeze penetrates the Patagonia easier, merino though is cooler in a different way in that polyester dries so quickly that it offers less of the evaporative cooling than merino, as it holds on to moisture a little longer (think swamp cooler)but still dries well when washed. I try to soak myself at fountains.

On day 6 of the Frances now, Torres de Rio. Always long sleeves, have used both 150 gm merino or patagonia's tropical hoody 2. Both working well. Love the thumb holes for more sun protection. Breeze penetrates the Patagonia easier, merino though is cooler in a different way in that polyester dries so quickly that it offers less of the evaporative cooling than merino, as it holds on to moisture a little longer (think swamp cooler)but still dries well when washed. I try to soak myself at fountains.
Sounds like your moving well

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

If you can find a polyester long sleeve T-shirt, that would be great for walking during the day.
https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ls-tech-tee-20/pcid1249033-600

Sounds like your moving well

Yes, I did have a short day after an evening of gastronomic indulgence in Zubiri, I stopped at Zabaldika, a wonderful place for reelection and quiet ( almost a retreat from a retreat if that makes any sense) operated by nuns in the Society of the Sacred Heart.

actually the shirt must match the intensity of the activity. i'm a big merino fan, but 100% ibex is not the best for high intensity activities. for the camino (on track) my choice would be long sleeve good quality polyester t-shirt. for me an important factor is abrasiveness of the fabric, otherwise my nipples suffer too much, so i usually tape them ...
merino will have less odour at the end of day, but anyway, I think one has to do laundry every night, and there is less hassle with polyester.
for the off track camino activities take whatever you feel is the best for you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Icebreaker shirts always works for me on the camino. In case of a very long walk or just a rainy day and there is no time to get the laundry dry, you don't start smelling of old sweat after 1 day without washing with wool-shirts, like you will do with polyester-shirts.

Yes, I did have a short day after an evening of gastronomic indulgence in Zubiri, I stopped at Zabaldika, a wonderful place for reelection and quiet ( almost a retreat from a retreat if that makes any sense) operated by nuns in the Society of the Sacred Heart.
I will send you a private message

I haven't noticed anyone opting for a two-layer shirt system. I am walking the Frances in October-November and my shirts will be the same as I wear for summer in the Canadian Rockies: a light weight short-sleeved merino base layer under a long-sleeved Ex Officio shirt. The outer layer functions as a sun/wind shirt, is sturdy and a 55/45 cotton/polyester blend. It is extremely well vented, has multiple pockets and is super comfortable. I usually wear it open down the front unless it is very windy. See my avatar to the left at the top of a very windy pass last summer. I don't suppose that most people walking a summer camino would find this ideal, but it works very well for me. I have yet to discover whether it will be comfortable and practical for my camino this fall.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Columbia's Tamiami. Hands down. And is usually on sale on Amazon. Long sleeve allows you to roll them up when needed and allows you to tie them around your waist and wear only an undershirt when you get warm.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.