• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Should We Not Take ?.... see draft packig list

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I've been reading all the great information about what to take and not to take. And I'm trying to get really focussed on reducing our pack weights. Guess I need some help and straightforward advice....!

My target pack weight is 10% of body weight for my wife and I. That equates to 8.5 Kg and 4.5 Kg.

So, what would you take out, or change for a lighter weight model?

I should probably explain the logic so far. We aim to go in Apr/May. We'll stay mainly in B&B type places for privacy and convenience (own bathroom, choice of departure time etc). Though I expect we will need to use Albergues occasionally where other options are not available.

As for the 'additional' items in the list, which I'm sure will be the targets for reduction :)

I am an avid video maker. Both Pat and I want to document our journey. I'll do it in English and she'll do it in Thai for our blogs. The total video gear weight is 735g. I'll use trekking poles as a Tripod.

Sleeping Bags. I can make do with a liner on the odd Albergue night. Pat will need a sleeping bag. Anything below 20C at night she struggles with, being Thai.......

Cooking. We'll be taking our time, probably 45++ days. Want time to 'smell the roses' so the lightweight cooking gear is for making tea/coffee en route in the remoter areas and cooking up a picnic lunch if we choose to.

The lightweight shelter/tarp (very lightweight, using trekking poles), is just in case we caught in a downpour and want to sit it out afore an hour whilst it passes. Do they pass? Or is the rain there more of the once it starts, it goes all day variety? :)

So, what do you think? Be as brutal as you must :-( I imagine the cooking gear and shelter are probably a 'nice to have' that need to go. Pity. But they are only 261 g and 212g respectively. It all adds up I guess.........

One item I am struggling to decide on is spare shoes/sandals. To wear at night whilst wet boots dry out and feet get a 'beather'. I have some Rockports which are great and light by 'normal' standards, but still too heavy to take. At this stage we are thinking of trekking sandals, that could be worn with socks if cold. 328g a pair. Still quite heavy.

The phone is just to phone ahead to book accommodation, and in case of emergency. No intention of tracking emails etc don't worry. It's also my backup video camera.

We'll mainly use the bladders for water. Water Bottles will be carried empty and only used on long 'waterless' stretches. Hmm. maybe they need to go........ (buy bottled water en route?)

So here's the list.............. Includes Poles, Water etc.

bbf1.jpg

Any thoughts or advice most appreciated.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First, remember that 10% is a magic number. Only one person I have spoken with has been able to justify it by referring to an independent source, and even that no longer recommends 10%, but suggests 10-15% before adding food and water (ie base pack weight). Second, well respected walking sources recommend a more complex formula that takes into account far more factors, like the fact that you are walking in mid spring, when you might expect to need between 25-50% more depending on what you carry for warmth and rain protection. Third, consider all your gear, including the items you will be wearing, before you make trade-offs from your pack alone. The volume calculator here is based on a formula from The Complete Walker IV, a US walking classic. I recommend using two days in the number of days entry, and you need to work out how resilient you are and how much you are prepared to spend on really light weight kit.

However, on a quick rule of thumb, calculate your volume by taking half your body mass, adding 25% for spring.

For Rob: 85/2 * 1.25 = 52 li
For Pat: 45/2 * 1.25 = 28 li

In terms of weight, if you take this approach, the respective weight targets would be 10.6kg and 5.6kg. Water and food are then extras. It would seem to me that you are probably well under a reasonable target for a spring camino.

The other check is your from the skin out load. Here the recommendation from The Complete Walker IV is for between 20% for comfortable walking, and 30% noting that will slow you down significantly. I think 20% is achievable on the camino, including food and water, even in spring providing you have made sensible choices of clothing and boots. Your FSO targets would be 17kg and 9kg. If you acheived 10.6 and 5.6kg you would have 6.4/3.4 kg residual budget for boots, clothing, food and water.

You don't say whether you are able to get your proposed loads into a 32 li pack. Even if you were to get down to 8.5kg, that would be a packing density of 256gm/li (assuming that the volume is correct). That is a very high packing density (my experience with camino type loads is around 200gm/li is okay, and 250gm/li is so tight that there is no room left to squeeze anything more in. I know that I will be using a 45-55 li pack next year for the Camino Ingles starting in early Apr, and I am not that much heavier at my walking weight (~90kg) than one of you.

As for the details of your list, I will leave others to comment, but the big items you might wish to reconsider are the tarp/pegs/stove.

I believe you might save some weight in leaving the space blanket. The sewing kit can be just a needle and dental floss. You might be able to leave a pair of zip off legs if the legs are interchangeable with your other pants. The tarp can be made of cuben fiber to save weight. Underwear can be reduced to one spare set vice 2.

I'm going through the same struggle of cutting weight, and when I get my list down I start to second guess myself and suffer "weight creep" as I add additional items. I guess the secret in cutting weight is to be, and remain, absolutely ruthless. Good luck and please share your final list.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have some very good news for you - you have put spare shoes for each of you twice - so you can shave 656g off your weight immediately!
I would also ditch the tarp and cooking gear and water bottles and multimat and fuel...and there goes another 1.362. But you might have a reason for wanting these things.

I have some very good news for you - you have put spare shoes for each of you twice - so you can shave 656g off your weight immediately!
I would also ditch the tarp and cooking gear and water bottles and multimat and fuel...and there goes another 1.362. But you might have a reason for wanting these things.

I agree unless there is another reason for camping and cooking out doors...

Plenty of places to stop for a hot drinks and some snacks along the way

First, remember that 10% is a magic number. Only one person I have spoken with has been able to justify it by referring to an independent source, and even that no longer recommends 10%, but suggests 10-15% before adding food and water (ie base pack weight). Second, well respected walking sources recommend a more complex formula that takes into account far more factors, like the fact that you are walking in mid spring, when you might expect to need between 25-50% more depending on what you carry for warmth and rain protection. Third, consider all your gear, including the items you will be wearing, before you make trade-offs from your pack alone. The volume calculator here is based on a formula from The Complete Walker IV, a US walking classic. I recommend using two days in the number of days entry, and you need to work out how resilient you are and how much you are prepared to spend on really light weight kit.

However, on a quick rule of thumb, calculate your volume by taking half your body mass, adding 25% for spring.

For Rob: 85/2 * 1.25 = 52 li
For Pat: 45/2 * 1.25 = 28 li

In terms of weight, if you take this approach, the respective weight targets would be 10.6kg and 5.6kg. Water and food are then extras. It would seem to me that you are probably well under a reasonable target for a spring camino.

The other check is your from the skin out load. Here the recommendation from The Complete Walker IV is for between 20% for comfortable walking, and 30% noting that will slow you down significantly. I think 20% is achievable on the camino, including food and water, even in spring providing you have made sensible choices of clothing and boots. Your FSO targets would be 17kg and 9kg. If you acheived 10.6 and 5.6kg you would have 6.4/3.4 kg residual budget for boots, clothing, food and water.

You don't say whether you are able to get your proposed loads into a 32 li pack. Even if you were to get down to 8.5kg, that would be a packing density of 256gm/li (assuming that the volume is correct). That is a very high packing density (my experience with camino type loads is around 200gm/li is okay, and 250gm/li is so tight that there is no room left to squeeze anything more in. I know that I will be using a 45-55 li pack next year for the Camino Ingles starting in early Apr, and I am not that much heavier at my walking weight (~90kg) than one of you.

As for the details of your list, I will leave others to comment, but the big items you might wish to reconsider are the tarp/pegs/stove.

Thanks so much for your comprehensive advice! I checked out the volume calculator. Seems to be about 38L. And I take your point about 'will it fit'! I have another good pack that is 40L that I plan to use if we really can't get away with 2 x 32L. Don't really want to go bigger than that, as Parkinson's Law will inevitably mean I'll fill it...

You have certainly helped me get our loads into a clear perspective.

But I suspect as so many experienced pilgrims point out. The best pack weight, will be the lightest we can manage to get away with!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree unless there is another reason for camping and cooking out doors...

Plenty of places to stop for a hot drinks and some snacks along the way

Yes, the cooking gear may be over kill. Though I know how great it is on a long walk when wet and cold, to 'brew up' a hot drink or meal. Being our first Camino I have no idea what to expect along the way. Certainly looking at the Brierley Guide, there are many long stretches with no cafes or villages at all. Does that sound right?

Yes, the cooking gear may be over kill. Though I know how great it is on a long walk when wet and cold, to 'brew up' a hot drink or meal. Being our first Camino I have no idea what to expect along the way. Certainly looking at the Brierley Guide, there are many long stretches with no cafes or villages at all. Does that sound right?

There are only a few stretches whereby you must walk for some time before you find a bar or cafe.

In fact one could measure their progress by the number of bars you pass each hour at least on the Frances route

A different story if you decide to walk another route where my friend from Germany complained about the lack of bars and cafes

Stopping for a coffee, tea or beer or glass of wine along the way is part of the camino experience

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,Robo,
If you are planning to walk the Camino Frances, I would say that cooking gear is absolutely unnecessary. I haven't looked at the Brierley guide, but I don't think there are any long stretches without cafes or villages. Id be surprised if there are many stretches longer than 10 kms on the Camino Frances with no services. The problem with the Camino Frances may be that there are too many services, not too few.

Hi,Robo,
If you are planning to walk the Camino Frances, I would say that cooking gear is absolutely unnecessary. I haven't looked at the Brierley guide, but I don't think there are any long stretches without cafes or villages. Id be surprised if there are many stretches longer than 10 kms on the Camino Frances with no services. The problem with the Camino Frances may be that there are too many services, not too few.

Yes, it's starting to look like the Cooker may not earn a 'berth'. I guess I was thinking more of the times when we were on those long stretches, or having a 'long day' and needing a break, maybe hitting places at Siesta time, wanting a break during bad weather etc etc. And the whole thing only weighs 161g. But I guess this is the process I need to go through. Don't plan on packing too many 'nice to haves' !

Very interesting Doug. I just calculated our Skin Out Load. 12.6% ! including food and water. Our boots and clothing are lightweight. Tried to get Ultra light gear when I can. So boots and clothing are only 770g each.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,Robo,

Actually there are two longish stretches in the Meseta; one the infamous 17.5 km almost straight white gravel road west of Carrion de Los Condes and the other is the old Roman road west of Sahagan which is about 12 km or so.

Nether have any services or bars or much shade. Not as scary as it might sound.

But other than those two, most bars are under 10 km apart.

Actually there are two longish stretches in the Meseta; one the infamous 17.5 km almost straight white gravel road west of Carrion de Los Condes and the other is the old Roman road west of Sahagan which is about 12 km or so.

Nether have any services or bars or much shade. Not as scary as it might sound.

But other than those two, most bars are under 10 km apart.

Sounds good. But are they open all day or closed for Siesta ? As we are staying in small Hotels etc, we won't be trying to dash to Albergues to get in line. Or to end our walking day before Siesta. So we might go slowly all day, stopping along the way.

Thanks so much for your comprehensive advice! I checked out the volume calculator. Seems to be about 38L.
I probably did the calculation for a solo walker, when I expect the answer would be around 47li.

Achieving the FSO figure you claim in a later post is pretty impressive, a clear advantage of walking with a partner. As a solo walker, I am currently achieving around 16% for a spring walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The camino Frances is unique in terms of the rest of Spain in the sense most bars do not generally close for mid day siesta unlike the rest of Spain. Restaurants however do observe a form a siesta in the afternoon, which means they might close mid afternoon and reopen in the evening.

And most bars that serve hot food do close the kitchen mid afternoon and do not reopen the kitchen until 7:00 pm

This does not mean all bars and cafes are open at the crack of dawn but most are, since hungry pilgrims means business.

Most grocery and food shops do close mid afternoon too.

It is will be cold day in August if you come across a closed bar in Spain ( a few have a " closed day" but again only a few do this ).

Bottom line with a bit of planning, you not starve on the camino Frances.

And since you are planning on staying in small pension and hotels, purchase a cheap mobile phone and call ahead either the day before or the morning of, to book beds for yourselves.

This way, you can stroll and take your time knowing you have a bed waiting for you when you arrive late afternoon.

I probably did the calculation for a solo walker, when I expect the answer would be around 47li.

Achieving the FSO figure you claim in a later post is pretty impressive, a clear advantage of walking with a partner. As a solo walker, I am currently achieving around 16% for a spring walk.

Yes, and the added advantage is that my walking partner (my wife) is 45kg and 5'1" tall. So her 'stuff' is tiny and light....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And since you are planning on staying in small pension and hotels, purchase a cheap mobile phone and call ahead either the day before or the morning of, to book beds for yourselves.

This way, you can stroll and take your time knowing you have a bed waiting for you when you arrive late afternoon.

That's the plan :) Which may all go pear shaped of course :-( LOL. Hence the contingency planning.

You can do like friends we have that we have nicknamed the Gucci pilgrims.

They travel super light and stay in small hotels meaning no need to take a sleeping bag, towels or even toiletteries. The basically carry what I call over sized kids school packs probably weighing no more than 4 kilos each.

And they eat and drink well given the photos we have seen...

No pilgrim style suffering for these two.

:)

You can do like friends we have that we have nicknamed the Gucci pilgrims.

They travel super light and stay in small hotels meaning no need to take a sleeping bag, towels or even toiletteries. The basically carry what I call over sized kids school packs probably weighing no more than 4 kilos each.

And they eat and drink well given the photos we have seen...

No pilgrim style suffering for these two.

:)

LOL. That's us :) Only taking a sleeping bag and towels in case we somehow cannot find a small Hotel on a couple of nights............ Maybe we should toss those out of the backpacks? I would just hate to arrive somewhere, without any of the necessities, and find we have to sleep in an Albergue. Not because Albergues or their guests are in any way bad, but we would struggle a bit without the right gear.

Maybe I am trying to 'over prepare' :) Just don't want to be caught late in the day, tired, wet, without the right gear to get a decent night's rest.

P.S. Pat is more of a Chanel Pilgrim than a Gucci Pilgrim :) But Pilgrims nonetheless.

We walked in June,we were leaving bits of clothing and absolutely nessecary "stuff" in the places we stayed along the way.
We never walked more than 4 km without there being a cafe or Store or someplace to eat ,shop or drink.
We never used our sporks, or pocket knife. There is a pharmacy in every town,or a shop with essentials.
If you are staying in b&bs. you will never need your stove or coil. We stayed in alburghees,hostels and hotels. We were never without cafe con leche or food.
After the first few nights we were told to decide where you are staying the following evening.Have your host call ahead and reserve your rooms .We did that. And never felt the need to hurry .
They had what we call dollar stores here.They are Bazaars,They will have everything from toothpaste to knee

braces.. A nice poncho that covers you and your pack will keep you dry. We walked one day in torrential rain.The only thing wet was our faces and shoes.
The heavier your pack,the more chance of injury! The smaller the pack,the less chance of over packing!
The one bit of advice we didn't follow,and we paid dearly for was the ,buy your shoes at least 1/2 size bigger. Your feet will swell. A week in and we were buying new shoes. We had to wait til we got to Burgos to find an outdoor shop! I had to have my big toe nails removed several weeks after we returned home.
Also compeed! Wore it everyday! Never had 1 blister!
If you need something ,you will find it, I got tired of wearing the same two tees everyday and bought some towards the end.
Worse case scenario. They have a company that picks up your packs in the morning and delivers them to your next destination.Super cheap!
Enjoy your planning.
I would also have backup books,Everybody follows the beirelly guide.We found that having a book with he hotels,alburghees and hostels worked so much better. You can get those almost everywhere too.

Quote="Robo, post: 170898, member: 31043"]Yes, the cooking gear may be over kill. Though I know how great it is on a long walk when wet and cold, to 'brew up' a hot drink or meal. Being our first Camino I have no idea what to expect along the way. Certainly looking at the Brierley Guide, there are many long stretches with no cafes or villages at all. Does that sound right?[/quote]
Wa

Thanks Redjeep. Starting to get a degree of 'comfort' that we can leave lots of gear at home!

The phone is just to phone ahead to book accommodation, and in case of emergency. No intention of tracking emails etc don't worry. It's also my backup video camera.
My walking partner never stayed in an albergue. She wanted a private room with her own bathroom every night. Before dinner every night she would ask the manager to ring ahead and book accommodation for the following night, after seeking his advice on quality and prices. Seemed to work fine for her. The Brierley guide book gives a pretty good listings of such accommodation.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes I have the Brierley Guide. That's what concerns me. There are many days in the guide with only Albergues. So either we will need to use Albergues, or his guide is not comprehensive?

I guess we might be able to go 'off route' if necessary.

Yes, it's starting to look like the Cooker may not earn a 'berth'. I guess I was thinking more of the times when we were on those long stretches, or having a 'long day' and needing a break, maybe hitting places at Siesta time, wanting a break during bad weather etc etc. And the whole thing only weighs 161g. But I guess this is the process I need to go through. Don't plan on packing too many 'nice to haves' !

My comments were focusing more on what's "necessary" rather than what you want to bring. I just recently started carrying a cup and electric coil on my caminos so that I can make coffee in the mornings. The thread I started on that topic (http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/ ) got a lot of responses from people who will be carrying French press coffee makers and other things that many of us would consider luxuries. But hey, if you want to be able to make coffee so you can sit and enjoy the view even though you're only 4 kms from another cafe, that might be important enough for you to bring it and leave something else at home.

Buen camino, Laurie

Most of this has already been mentioned, but I'd leave home the water bladders, extra water bottles, space blanket, sleeping mat, tarp, tent pegs, and all the kitchen and cooking gear. I'm assuming you're doing the Frances route.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I would say the MOST important item to take is the well worn comfortable walking/hiking shoes! Depending on the health of your foot, you can easily carry few more kilos, or a painful feet could make even an extra page of your small guide book feel too heavy. And, since I ended up doing hand washing of my cloth daily, I found one extra pair of all clothing is enough, with exceptions of socks to 3 pairs. Before I went last month, I took the pain of planning everything out in a spreadsheet, which you (Robo) seem to have done, but having this took much of spontaneous enjoyment out of the Camino - since I became a slave to the 'plan'. Once my foot pain kicked in, all the planning went out the window, and all I cared about was an ability take a another step.

With all that said, I very much miss the Camino, and can't wait to get back to it.

BTW, my backpack was 9 kg without water, and my starting Camino weight was 77 kg. I am now at 70 kg so it almost evens out :) Next year, I plan to take no more than 7 kg on my back. In fact, I could almost go with just a day pack - but I am not that brave yet.

BTW, my backpack was 9 kg without water, and my starting Camino weight was 77 kg. I am now at 70 kg so it almost evens out :) Next year, I plan to take no more than 7 kg on my back. In fact, I could almost go with just a day pack - but I am not that brave yet.

Not that you asked, Jnlee99, but I would be very careful about walking the Camino with a daypack. The construction of most day packs will put all the weight directly onto your back, whereas with a good back pack, the weight is transferred via the hip belt and the internal construction to your hips. I have a lot of lower back problems and I have absolutely no trouble carrying a pack of 8 or 10 k, or even more, but that's only because of the construction. With a day pack of even 4 or 5 kilos, my back would be killing me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not that you asked, Jnlee99, but I would be very careful about walking the Camino with a daypack. The construction of most day packs will put all the weight directly onto your back, whereas with a good back pack, the weight is transferred via the hip belt and the internal construction to your hips. I have a lot of lower back problems and I have absolutely no trouble carrying a pack of 8 or 10 k, or even more, but that's only because of the construction. With a day pack of even 4 or 5 kilos, my back would be killing me.

Hi Peregrina2000, yes I would agree. My backpack puts most of the weight on my hip and if I were to take anymore than couple of kg I wouldn't dream of carrying a day pack without a hip belt. I am thinking of the true pilgrims of the old whom had nothing other than the cloth on their person and a small sack tied to their walking stick.

Cheers, - John.

Yes, ditch the cooking gear... Tarp is not a bad idea to sit out heavy rains but again, the Via Frances is "front country" walking. While some sections can be somewhat remote, you can still do short days and find accommodation. I'm planning on the Via Plata in spring and I will definitely be bringing a shelter and a sleeping bag. More than just a liner. I have a very light weight down sleeping bag that compresses to the size of a soccer ball. My shelter will most likely be a tarp because I don't want to walk that far every day and I think a tent may be over kill. I will also carry a tiny bottle of bleach for emergency water treatment. Speaking of water, you should plan on carrying at least 3 liters every day. I carry Crocs as a second pair of shoes. They are incredibly light, made of plastic and last forever. I'm going on 8 years on one pair. But I would not want to walk very far in them. I think it's important to be weight conscious but one can also get obsessively crazy with it.

A few thoughts:

--You will probably never have to stay in an albergue if you don't want to
-- A pack from ZPack could save you 500 grams http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-remarkably-light-pack.21636/#post-169043
--Do you need three sets of double socks? The 1000 mile socks really do last, and they do have socks to buy if you find you are down a pair
-- +1 no need for cooking gear
-- skip the 290 gms of water bottle. The plastic bottles water is sold in are remarkably tough, very light, and don't have a plastic taste.
-- you are way ahead of 90% of the people on the trail:
kathmandu load.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Robo:

One thing you will get on this forum is a lot of opinions. My first walk I carried 25lbs. This year I will carry just under 18lbs.

There are many things we feel are necessary. I suggest you take into consideration all the information you have a received here and put together a packing list that makes you comfortable. The Camino will let you know if you have made a good or poor decision.

Ultreya,
Joe

Yes, ditch the cooking gear... Tarp is not a bad idea to sit out heavy rains but again, the Via Frances is "front country" walking. While some sections can be somewhat remote, you can still do short days and find accommodation. I'm planning on the Via Plata in spring and I will definitely be bringing a shelter and a sleeping bag. More than just a liner. I have a very light weight down sleeping bag that compresses to the size of a soccer ball. My shelter will most likely be a tarp because I don't want to walk that far every day and I think a tent may be over kill. I will also carry a tiny bottle of bleach for emergency water treatment. Speaking of water, you should plan on carrying at least 3 liters every day. I carry Crocs as a second pair of shoes. They are incredibly light, made of plastic and last forever. I'm going on 8 years on one pair. But I would not want to walk very far in them. I think it's important to be weight conscious but one can also get obsessively crazy with it.

Thanks for the tips. Not sure about Crocs though. Trekking Sandals are the same weight and would give me a walking 'backup' if I had boot problems.

This is exactly what happened to me. Pack didn't fit my body and ended up carrying all weight on my shoulders... Not much fun.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi
I have walked the French way and from Seville..... villa de plata.......my thoughts are not to work out the minimum ..... Have attitude not to take anything more than you need to just walk....... Two of each clothes one wash one wear...... The bottom line is why carry anything?......it is all available along the way..... Energy used carrying stuff is energy not spent being free and happy.....each morning walk away as free as you can physically and mentally....... take an absurdly minimal pack....... when what you pack does not make sense your getting close ... then half it again ......freedom is the blessing ..... It is so easy not to carry stuff on the camino and when you get back home........... Don't work it out don't take it..

We carried one complete set of clean clothes and wore one complete set. This meant we had 2 fleeces - one very light one reversible midweight - which we could layer if cold. Extra undies and liner socks to ensure a dry pair. I had my longjohns and long sleeved vest for eveing and pyjamas as I feel the cold. Waterproofs - ponchos which could open out as a tarp and light waterproof trousers. Terry had my sleeping bag.
We were walking in May when we needed the 'extra' layers, otherwise a single mid fleece would have done.
If you check out our blogs there is a packing and weights list which might help you.
http://trainingforpilgrimage.blogspot.co.uk/2011_03_01_archive.html

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We carried one complete set of clean clothes and wore one complete set. This meant we had 2 fleeces - one very light one reversible midweight - which we could layer if cold. Extra undies and liner socks to ensure a dry pair. I had my longjohns and long sleeved vest for eveing and pyjamas as I feel the cold. Waterproofs - ponchos which could open out as a tarp and light waterproof trousers. Terry had my sleeping bag.
We were walking in May when we needed the 'extra' layers, otherwise a single mid fleece would have done.
If you check out our blogs there is a packing and weights list which might help you.
http://trainingforpilgrimage.blogspot.co.uk/2011_03_01_archive.html

Really helpful, thanks. was it really that Cold in May?

Hola,

Weather is weather. Very hard to predict, but Spain can certainly be very warm in late winter/spring.
I guess it all depends from where one comes :) and what one is used with for that particular season.
I walked Frances in February/March and experienced both deep snow as well as 20 C days.
20 C is summer time temperature where I live, so it was very welcomed.
My guestimate for May would be that you could experience anything.
This year there were harsh temperatures all over Europe in spring, and from following this forum, it was obvious
that the pilgrims were challenged with the amount of rain and 'bad weather'.

About your list:
I really like Doug's reply stating that the 10% isn't fixed and that one can view preparation differently.
On my Camino's I have used a 58 L bag which has been perfect for me, as well as I carry more kilos than the 'preferred'.
The only true rule, in my opinion is, test is, and if you feel comfortable, then go with it.
No one knows what is right for you. Trust your instincts. If they turn out to make a fool of you, then send some stuff back or leave it in a give away-box.

Consider to bring a scarf, wool. Check temperatures once you get close to leave. If weather is cold, bring a scarf.
Linen bag (or other fabric) to collect important items to keep them together in sleeping bag during night.
Blinkies (bicycle lamps), one white for front of caravan, one red for end caravan.
Reflective vest, to be see and feel safe.
A plastic container (lunch box) to hold your chorizo/cheese/fruit/.. in your pack.
One knee elastic support, just in case.
Translated prescriptions from doctor.
A tri-outlet for chargers. Many albergues has limited outlets, and a tri-outlet, will be a welcomed item.
Bring 12-18 pin pegs :). They are a great gift to other pilgrims on route.
A book/poetry/... small and light. Once lights goes out at 9 pm, some can use words to reflect on.
Soap?
And last:
If you fly with a backpack, one can buy an outer shell.
It is a nylon, waterproof and strong bag that contain your backpack and keep it safe in transit.
Once on the Camino, empty your bag and put the liner inside.
Stuff your gear into the sack and voila; your gear is water proofed.

Bune Camino
Lettinggo

Last edited:
Robb, if it was me and i just finished the camino frances i would ditch all of the cooking gear and the tarp. plenty of places to get coffee along the way. true there are some long stretches but in my view, and everyone has to do their own camino, the cooking gear and tarp are not needed. and if you are staying in b&bs, sleeping bag is not needed. i used silk liner and for those few places without heat, i just wore my fleece to bed. buen camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Good advice as always folks. Many thanks. The more I read and hear the better prepared I think we'll be. Not that one can ever be 100% prepared, but at least it helps to avoid those really 'dumb' mistakes :)

Weather is always a tricky thing to judge isn't it Lettinggo? Being from the UK originally I would quite enjoy the winter challenge! But it's 20+ years since I lived in a cold climate so maybe I'm fooling myself. I was also 30 years younger when I did winter trekking :-(

Now a cool day for us is below 20 C. 30C is nice and warm. 40C is starting to really get a bit hot for walking! And 45C is certainly 'stay inside' weather!

Though I am surprised that my better half Pat (who is Thai and therefore a very warm weather creature), is actually starting to say on our training walks, that 20C is very pleasant when walking..... She is discovering that when you walk with a pack, you get warm!

I think likely weather conditions rather than crowds, may dictate our walking 'window'. Though as many have said, we'll avoid July/August. I think for us, the highest probability of dry weather will be the deciding factor. Clothing adjustments can help with temperature, but dealing with wet can be miserable with limited spare clothing :-(

In 2010 we were too cold to continue on the Primitivo in spite of buying extra fleeces in Oviedo - not a disaster as we were only planning a 'part' Camino and we went back to walk part of the Norte. In 2012 we took the extra layers and were glad of them through the mountains. This year again we had them and May was very cold - I think you are walking the Francés so if you check that section you will find various threads regarding this year's weather and the cold.
Next year could be a warm spring like 2009 when, again on the Primitivo, Terry had 1 thin fleece and hardly wore it except in the evening.
Packing that year had trousers, socks, tech vest and shirt + a set to wear - no long johns etc. but he did have his poncho and over trousers, sleeping bag etc

Hola Robb yes last May (2013) really was cold - in fact it was reported as the coldest May (in Spain) for 40 years. It snowed in Madrid around 16 May. A German girl I spoke to in SDC said she was walking in snow up to her knees on the Frances. She ended up abandoning her Camino. But being Spain next year could be the complete opposite with 40 degrees in Sevilla on May Day!! You just have to pack sensibly and be prepared for the unexpected. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good list.

Recommendation: break it down to one list for each person. That way is easier to eval.

I do not believe in listing oz/grams for each item. Hey if you need it, you need it.
So why count the oz/grams of it?

The thing to learn is to only take what you REALLY need. And after each walk evaluate EACH item and decide if something needs to be dropped from the next walk.

I got my list down for MY actual, learned over time, needs.

What always got me on the walks was the person who told how many ounces each item was...and then I would see him/her unpacking a large book. Go figure.

I loved those A'berg discussions over eating/drinking.... "my kit weighs 20.34 lbs" vs "my kit weighs 19.07 lbs". To be frank, who cares???

I have walked the Frances, Ingles and Portuguese.

Yes, took my light weight tent. And used it. Loved it. The weight police will surely yell at me for such a sin. LOL.

((See my reply -- this date -- to post Should I Take My Tent ))

I did not take any cooking ware.

I am doing the VDLP in April. Biking it. Oh no another sin.
I will be taking MSR light weight stove. To only heat water for coffee, freeze dried bag type meals (oh no another sin)..etc. Only boiling water you have no clean up mess. That those who cook food per say on their stoves have. The clean up.

I will take another look at your list and submit comments later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will take another look at your list and submit comments later.

Hi, this thread is over 4 years old, and the OP has walked 2 caminos since his original post, so he's probably worked it out by now ;). Not sure about the rice cooker though . . . . :confused:.

But interesting comments for future pilgrims.
Jill

I know this is an old thread, but I have to ask: Just what is a "meths, cooker and pot"? Sounds like something you'd get arrested for in this part of the world! ;)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.