• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What single post or reply on this forum has struck you the most?

MKalcolm M

Solvitur ambulando - It is solved by walking
Time of past OR future Camino
north route spring 2013
I recently answered a question on this forum with some advice and a humorous quip, which another member replied to saying it had made them laugh (see below), and this got me wondering what are other members favourite replies here? Is it something that made you think, recreates a memory, makes you laugh or makes you want to head back on the camino....

.. Julia my walking companion suggested that I put on a pair of her tights to keep my legs warm. I replied that while I have done things that I didn't expect to on the camino, I wasn't yet ready to start wearing womens underwear....

Another keyboard ruined by laughed out wine :eek: SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I once found a post on bedbugs. It was just luck stumbled into it, I was searching to see if anyone, sometime, posted on blisters.:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one post that made me cry with laughter and that I have recounted to friends is this post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-ring-in-santiago-on-25-05.26780/#post-214925 - where AEUK asks about a wedding ring he found in Santiago...

It was this reply that I still think of today...

If the inscription is:

One Ring to rule them all, One ring to find them; One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

I'd be seriously frit and head for the hill known as el Monte de Suerte (a.k.a. Mount Doom) before the Nazguls, Orcs or Gollum find you!

I do love this forum but it's the humour that sneaks in here and there that I think I love the most :D

Too many posts to remember. But
But the post that stands out to me...and the first time I realised that this forum had became a part of me...was when I read about the passing of Methodist Pilgram on the Camino. I cried hard that day....and wont ever forget him....or the way we all came together to share our greif and memories.
I too remember the sense of losing a family member when I read of his passing. Such a gentle man.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But the post that stands out to me...and the first time I realised that this forum had became a part of me...was when I read about the passing of Methodist Pilgram on the Camino. I cried hard that day....and wont ever forget him....or the way we all came together to share our grief and memories.
This too is the post that stands out for me, I missed his posts for a while but thought he was just away, it was a shock to hear the sad news of his passing. He welcomed me from the start and indeed defended me on the occasion that I gave one negative report of an albergue from my Camino. He was a lovely person on this forum and he is still missed.

Like others I really miss Methodist Pilgrim. He had so much wisdom and loving care for others.
Yesterday whilst scrolling through various threads looking for times of Mass at various places in preparation for our Camino in June I came across a sharing from him made August 18, 2011 in which he said "While I do not expect to die while on pilgrimage who can say it might not happen." I just filled up with tears for this lovely man and what he had given to all of us to graciously".

I don't have the actual link for this one but I saved it in my collection of great Camino related quotes. It was posted by Camino2010 in a long, long thread about Fear. It makes me smile every time I read it.

I had a funny conversation with a friend before I left for my Camino in September. She said to me, "So, Rachel, you're getting on a plane to fly overseas, to a country you've never been to, where you know no one, and they speak a language you don't know, to walk 800 km, and you're worried about what to pack?!"

Yep, that's right. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nearly two years ago, Al the Optomist posted the following story on the forum about a professor and what's important in life. It hit home to me because I was a professor in a department that had become less collegial. I left that job this past summer for another university, leaving a copy of the story on my old office door. I still read it now and then.

"A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles roll
ed into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous ‘yes.’

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed..

‘Now,’ said the professor as the laughter subsided, ‘I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things—-your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions—-and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else—-the small stuff.

‘If you put the sand into the jar first,’ he continued, ‘there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn.

Take care of the golf balls first—-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, ‘I’m glad you asked.’ The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a couple of Beers with a friend."

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back