• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What size backpack should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
I understand that its roughly 10% of body weight (or less), I can work out the upper end of the weight, however, how does this translate to Litres as a backpack measurement? As a tall and er.. overweight woman, a very tall husband plus 2 kids 9 and 12 - what size packs should be be looking at? We have decided not to take sleeping bags (we will stay in hotels or albergues with private rooms with bedding). We will be doing a March/April Camino on the CF.

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the Caminos I carry a sleeping bag. On my last walk on the Via de la Plata I added a bivvy bag and a self-inflating mat to allow me to sleep outdoors some nights. Even with this extra bulk all my gear fitted in a 35 litre rucksack which was comfortably within the cabin baggage limits of the airline I travelled with. If cabin baggage size limits are not a concern there is no particular reason why you should not use a slightly larger pack provided you can resist any temptation to add unnecessary junk! It would give you the option of taking some of the load from your children if and when they find their personal gear a problem.

I'm a tall woman too and let's say my BMI is also bit more than 25 :) but I still have a small framed Osprey Talon 33 pack. All depends on the length of my torso which is rather small built compared to longer legs...
Just ask the shopassistant of a decent store to measure you up and help you choose a pack. Tell him/her that the Camino is indeed not a wilderness adventure so they will not sell you a 50 litre or more pack.

I used the same backpack in March walking on the Meseta ( with sleepingbag and some extra layers for winter ) when it was bitter cold and I walked with it in August on the Portugues. Just to say you do not need much.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Agreed with comments about not giving in to temptation to take along bits just in case. My original backpack was 25litres, a bit tight. My current one is 33 or 35 with option to extend to 40. I prefer the smaller one, but if you will be helping out the young people, too small for you. so, about 35 with possibility of 40, sounds just right. Who was it who had that bowl of porridge????

I use the Osprey Talon 33l and only fill it half full even in cooler months. Plenty big enough if you slim down to the basics.

I also carry basic camping gear so I can sleep out if I want to (air mat, exposure/bivy bag, cord to make poncho into a tarp).

33l should be plenty big enough especially if you take some of the lightweighting advice on various threads on here

I plan to walk the Via de la Plata next in spring or autumn and have bought an Osprey Rev 6litre (yes only 6l capacity) and find I can get everything I will need in there based on past experience (minus the camping items). The point is you can take as little or as much as you like but less is more in my opinion.

For an adult walking the summer months on the Camino Frances, a pack in the low 30's L is enough (sleeping bag liner, readily available food supplies, minimal rain gear). Any other condition will increase the needed size: camping gear, small children, cool spring weather, sleeping bag, wet spring weather, walking in France where several days' groceries are necessary. I use an Osprey Exos 48 because of these sorts of situations, but the Exos 38 model was not available then.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Try on a number of different packs and see which fits and feels right. The weight should be in the middle of the pack and settle on your hips. Currently the fashion is a sleek pack with no or few outside pockets or ways to hang things on. I like to have a few places to hang wet socks or an extra bag of food. I also like to have pockets for my water bottles. I wouldn't worry about having a camelback as you will have family to hand you your water bottle when you need it. (Walking alone, without a camelback you have to take off your pack to get a drink- so sometimes you go for water for longer than you should.) -- I had a 30L pack from LL Bean that fit me better than Deuter or Osprey. It ended up being just a bit too small. So my second and third camino -- I sized up to their 35 expandable to 45. I carried a down sleeping bag-- which I loved and was happy to have with me. --You may want to rethink not ever staying at municipal, parochial, and confraternal albergues-- They have great kitchens and you can meet people from everywhere. My son connected with people best at these larger places. -- You can get a down comforter cheap from Costco in the US, it stuffs down really small and light-- you can stitch it together if you want to. (https://www.costco.com/Double-Black-Diamond-Packable-Down-Throw-2-pack.product.100314979.html) Have a great time-- I walked in March/April with my 14 year old. It is one of the best things we have ever done together. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Whatever size pack you ultimately decide on, PLEASE, for the sake of your Camino have it properly fitted in a shop that has experienced hikers on staff. Your footwear and rucksack are the two most important pieces of kit / gear you will obtain. Everything else is just filler (things stuffed inside) and "dangly bits..." (things hung on the outside of you or the rucksack). Please DO NOT Scrimp on these two items.;)

I recommend filling the considered rucksack(s) with perhaps 10 kg (22 lbs) dead weight, like sandbags or jugs of water (I use sacks of kitty litter), and wearing that pack in the shop as you shop for other gear, even footwear. Really good outdoor shops will have weights like this for this purpose. They will also have a plastic fitting measuring frame to assess your torso to recommend the size frame you need.

After 20 minutes or so, you will have a good idea of the fit. The properly fitted rucksack feels like an extension of you. In fact, at the end of a six-hour walking day on Camino, when you take it off, if you feel figuratively "naked," the pack was likely fitted correctly. If you "miss it" when it is not worn full, it is fitted correctly. Pain is not necessary...

Rucksack weight and volume capacity are only some considerations. The fit and features the particular bag has are also key to your satisfaction, especially if you plan to live out of this bag for a month or more. Invest in the rucksack that will hold only what you will actually pack for your Camino, not for some future possibility. Overly large volume bags tend to attract stuff along the way...

As regards size, as someone stated above, torso length / height is critical. Most better branded rucksacks come in short, medium (S/M) and large (M/L) torso sizes. This in turn affects the volume. But more importantly, it affects the comfort possible when fine-tuning the various straps, harnesses and belts that this better bags come with. Also, different manufacturers have different size ranges for their S/M & M/L bags, so Caveat Emptor...read the fine print...

Also, capacity varies with frame size. For example, most Osprey brand rucksacks are available in a S/M & M/L torso length internal frame. My previous Osprey Kestrel 48 liter bag in M/L was a 48 liter capacity bag. However the Osprey Kestrel 48 in the S/M torso frame is actually only a 46 liter capacity rucksack, as a result of the torso frame shortening the main compartment a couple of inches / several cm.

After five Caminos, and a family trait of spinal stenosis, I my spine shrank (compressed) some 5 cm from my first Camino, 183 cm height in 2013. My physical examination in December 2016 indicated that I had shrank a total of 5 cm (@ 1.5 inches) from 5 years before. As a result., I was unable to find a good, comfortable adjustment on my Osprey Kestrel 48 liter bag that would prevent the shoulder and back pain at the end of each day. After five years, my bag outgrew me...:eek:

So, needs must, I made field-expedient shoulder pads from sponges wrapped in microfiber "dish towels" purchase in a supermercado. The towels were fastened in place with duct tape. The homemade shoulder pads were then mounted on my shoulder harness to raise the strap some 5 cm from my shoulders when compressed...that took six sponges, three to a side...

When I arrived at Santiago, I donated my used but in very good condition rucksack to the Pilgrim House on Rua Nova 19. On return home, I immediately purchased the identical bag in the next smallest size, an Osprey Kestrel 38 liter bag, but in a S/M torso frame. This meant that the actual volume was 36 liters. I knew this when I ordered it.

The end of that saga is that, loaded with said bags of kitty litter to about 20 pounds / 9.5 kg +/- it fit me perfectly after requisite adjustments. I have been on several shorter day-hikes with the new bag loaded with dead weight. I am looking forward to my first real Camino with it.

You might wonder why I obtained a 10 liter smaller rucksack. The answer is simple. After five Caminos I have finally perfected my personal packing list. Over the years, I sent too many boxes of "surplus to needs" stuff to Ivar to hold for my arrival at Santiago - a VERY good service BTW.

Also, on my last two Caminos, I discovered that the 48-liter bag was not full by the time I reached the final week or so towards Santiago, and had no dangly bits. In plain English, this meant that 48 liters was too large for me in the first place.

But, like many of you reading this, I was a "newbie." After five Caminos, I finally figured out what really works FOR ME.

So, my suggestion is that, depending on personal needs, packing style & preferences, together with the torso-length factor, as well as the target 10-kilogram / 22 pound suggested upper weight limit, something in the 32/34 to 46/48 liter capacity range should do for perhaps 95% of all pilgrims. In the end the answer is, it depends...

I hope this helps.

P.S. I recommend highly that you consult 'Dougfitz' postings on rucksack volume vs. packing weight. I regard him as the forum technical expert. He has actually figured this stuff out using numbers! Crikey! You can use the search function in the upper right hand corner to search for postings by "Dougfitz."

We have decided not to take sleeping bags

So it's just some toiletries, plasters and other meds and layers of clothes for cold nights / days. Plus wet weather gear, which can also be used as another layer.

@Gumba, you will note I have not said "a change of clothes".

The idea of layers is wear the minimum needed to keep warm. As the day heats up then you can shed a layer.

I generate quite a lot of body heat. So in October I expected to just have a short sleeved merino top from mid to late morning until mid to late afternoon. Usually I started the day with that on first, over that a long sleeved merino top and over that a very light weight (about 80 grams) bikers wind resistant jacket. And thick polyester gloves because my fingers feel the cold most of all.

When I needed a stop I would get down to basics even if it was still a little cool. The idea was to minimise stops - have at least two things to do for each stop.

In addition I had another short sleeve merino top and wet weather gear if it was extremely cold. Six top layers in all.

I wear a sort of a kilt when walking so with three layers in front and four behind and built in air conditioning I keep the lower body quite warm (or cool) in all konds of weathers.

For the legs I usually wear two pair of socks and pressure hose (for varicose veins) so they are quite warm in cold weather and do not overheat in hot.

The point I am getting to is this: with all that a 35 litre pack, with capacity to expand, will serve adequately for your needs.

I have a 35 litre pack and carry the above plus a sleeping bag and quite often a two person tent. Even with 1 litre of water and a 10" tablet with case and keyboard weight does not get above 7.5 kg.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gumba,

There's a lot of good advice here. I've yet to do the Camino, but have plenty of experience backpacking on long trails. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is pack weight. There's a large variation in bags of even the same capacity when it comes to how much they weigh, mostly based on features like zippers, fabric, and suspension. Be sure to look at that number when shopping, too, not just at the capacity.

Tom's advice for fitting and trying on is great. But you might see if the store you're at would let you bring in your gear to load the pack with while you try it on. That way you can see how it actually feels and fits with what you intend to bring.

(I always love your posts, by the way. I find them very useful, as my wife, children, and I will be on the Camino in March and April, too. I think we'll be a couple weeks in front of you as we're leaving the beginning of March, but maybe we'll run into each other near the end.)

Jeff

I am out of fashion with most and their micro packs with a 60L pack, but love it. Super comfortable. Everything fits inside easily with a little extra space. Absolutely nothing hanging on the outside of my pack. Will never need another pack.

Why not just gather everything you plan on taking on the Camino, put it in a pillow case, or similar bag and then weigh it and measure it? Use those weights and measures as a guideline for what size pack you need to get.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use an Osprey 35 L pack and including my lightweight sleeping bag it seems just about perfect and weighs ten pounds without water. I try to be quite minimalistic in my approach and carry just the basic of forum recommendations overall.

My one extra indulgance rarely mentioned is a very cheap, lightweight dollar store fitted bottom sheet treated with permathrin and its matching pillowcase. They come in a variety of awesome fabric patterns and my bunk is a "one of a kind"...but I've digressed from the original question. :rolleyes:

Another thought: My pack can go on a plane as a carry on. It's a little too tall with my things in it, so I pack my clothes in a pillow case (this becomes my purse), and pull out the pillow case before I get on the plane. Then I have a pillow for the flight, and all my things with me, so there's no chance of loosing my pack on the way there.

I'm with the people who recommend a pack volume somewhere in the 30-40 L range. Your pack weight "should" weigh no more than somewhere in the 5-10 kg range. No matter what your weight or height! (So don't bother fussing with your calculator, current and predicted BMI, weight/volume ratios, etc.) Aim for the lower end of weight, because lighter is better. For example, in a good pack I can carry 7 kg all day, but definitely not 9 kg. Without water and snacks, my pack normally weighs about 5.5 kg including rain gear, sleeping bag and all the comforts I need.

I'd suggest no more that 4-5 kg for your kids (although that is just a guess on my part), which should be doable without sleeping bags or the communal sunscreen, first aid and toiletries. In any case, make sure that their packs are also properly fitted, that they have chest and hip straps, and that they use the straps. Their volume could be less, maybe 25-30 L.

So now, you need to try on all the packs you can find in the 30-40 L range for you, and a little less for the kids, and buy the most comfortable one. If you find a 45L one that is really the most comfortable, that would be OK too! Be aware that some packs come in different sizes based on torso length, and that the lengths are further adjustable. This is very important to getting the right fit. In the store load several backpacks with 10 kg, which is more that you'll need to carry, but it's good for testing. After walking around for 15 minutes in each one, you'll notice differences in comfort.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Probably not this size... But then again, I saw him numerous days on the Portuguese Camino and he was ahead of me getting to the church square, so who am I to judge!IMG-20170418-00462.jpg

I understand that its roughly 10% of body weight (or less), I can work out the upper end of the weight, however, how does this translate to Litres as a backpack measurement? As a tall and er.. overweight woman, a very tall husband plus 2 kids 9 and 12 - what size packs should be be looking at? We have decided not to take sleeping bags (we will stay in hotels or albergues with private rooms with bedding). We will be doing a March/April Camino on the CF.

Thanks
I have always carried a 35 litre, as a woman who carries no extras I find that it is packed to the gills. I have just bought a 40litre so that I don't have to carry a seperate food bag.

Thanks
10% of your body weight is not a good standard in determining the load a person can carry. For example, a person whose body weight is, 110 pounds, would be limited to carrying only 11 pounds. You simply cannot get by with such a small amount of rain gear, clothing, water bottles, snacks, etc. I weigh 135 pounds and walked the Camino Frances last September-October carrying about 20 pounds. I used an Osprey Talon 44. I have owned many packs but none as good. Properly adjusted it felt almost weightless.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't like having to pack everything in precisely - loath struggling to get things inside. It also seems to me that stuff that hangs off the pack and swings around must place stress where it is not meant to go - probably on the shoulders. So I would prefer to have a pack that is slightly bigger than needed, and be able to fit everything inside easily. As it happens the pack I find most comfortable does not come in a small size. I would rather carry it than something smaller that does not feel as good. Most of the time I forget I'm wearing it.

Find a pack that fits you and suits your body. Imo size is less important than fit.

Thanks
A mid-thirty liter pack ought to suffice, especially if you’re not carrying a sleeping bag. I used a 36 liter Osprey pack and carried a sleeping bag.

I don't like having to pack everything in precisely - loath struggling to get things inside.

My friend carried a 22 liter backpack, because that's what she had. She carried pretty much the same amount of stuff that I carried in a 36 liter, but it was like putting a puzzle together every day. I was amazed that everything fit in that little pack. Of course my 36 liter had extra room, and I used my compression straps. I just bought a new 32 liter pack that I think that I'm going to like, especially how lightweight it is at 1 pound 15 ounces, or 880 grams.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am presently researching & evaluating my backpack options for a CF next year April. I have never done a Camino but have done numerous outdoor activities (Audax cycling, rafting, hiking etc.)
Presently my narrowed down requirements are:
- Heavy duty daypack that is able to do all-day-multi-day walks
- So, a good fit and a stronger and very functional hip / shoulder straps are important (not the daypack type).
- weather proof
- practical and functional
- 35l
- all being equal, i would prefer buying a local product and support a local business

Here in South Africa, a niche market for hikes up the Kilimanjaro (4-8 days) have developed, and those packs seem to be perfect for a Camino:
https://www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-way-kilimanjaro-12-daypack
Keen on that one and might try to get one at the post-Christmas sale.

Yay!! Nerdy pack talk!! :))

I echo all who have advised not to skimp on a pack. It's important to have a pack properly sized, as this means it will sit better and weight is more evenly distributed where it should be - and that means fewer problems with walking day after day carrying everything.

I use a 40l pack, but only because I carry a tent, sleeping bag, etc. The frame and belt is a size small. The pack weighs only about 850 gm.

With a bigger pack, there is the temptation to put lots of stuff in, though this loses its appeal pretty quickly once you have walked a bit with the extra weight.

I use an Osprey 35 L pack and including my lightweight sleeping bag it seems just about perfect and weighs ten pounds without water. I try to be quite minimalistic in my approach and carry just the basic of forum recommendations overall.

My one extra indulgance rarely mentioned is a very cheap, lightweight dollar store fitted bottom sheet treated with permathrin and its matching pillowcase. They come in a variety of awesome fabric patterns and my bunk is a "one of a kind"...but I've digressed from the original question. :rolleyes:
Two of a kind. ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use the Osprey Talon 33l and only fill it half full even in cooler months. Plenty big enough if you slim down to the basics.

I also carry basic camping gear so I can sleep out if I want to (air mat, exposure/bivy bag, cord to make poncho into a tarp).

33l should be plenty big enough especially if you take some of the lightweighting advice on various threads on here

I plan to walk the Via de la Plata next in spring or autumn and have bought an Osprey Rev 6litre (yes only 6l capacity) and find I can get everything I will need in there based on past experience (minus the camping items). The point is you can take as little or as much as you like but less is more in my opinion.

:eek: 6l?!! I don’t think my socks (was going to write underwear but have made it G rated) would fit in a 6l pack. Hats off to you.:)

40 litre pack but use between 25 and 30 litres of its capacity depending on how much food I happen to be carrying. Some incentive is bulkier than others eg. A large packet of green Lays tomato and herb potato chips. ;) You might want to look at @shefollowsshells blog and @kiwifamily9 blog. Both have walked with kids around that age and offer info about packs and contents.

Last edited:
I use a 34 L and my wife a 22 L!
Mind you, she is quite small and I carry half her stuff :(
We only take essentials and lightweight / compact versions of stuff.
Includes 2 complete clothing changes (one worn and one washing) sleeping bags, fleeces, rain pants/jackets, sandals, etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My friend carried a 22 liter backpack, because that's what she had. She carried pretty much the same amount of stuff that I carried in a 36 liter, but it was like putting a puzzle together every day. I was amazed that everything fit in that little pack. Of course my 36 liter had extra room, and I used my compression straps. I just bought a new 32 liter pack that I think that I'm going to like, especially how lightweight it is at 1 pound 15 ounces, or 880 grams.
Hi "Gear Junkie". I loved the photo of your new pack and think it was the color and weight that did it for me.:)
I carried a 25 L Osprey Atmos on my first two Caminos. The trampoline back which I loved made it difficult to push my stuff down into the bottom past its shape. Also, my son had to carry my sleeping bag as I had no more room. Last year I invested in a woman's specific Osprey 36 L. It's made Camino life so much easier and I now carry my own bag. It's a good thing cuz in June I leave for the LePuy route and I don't think either of the two girlfriends I will be traveling with would appreciate carrying that bag for me! Ha! :p

:eek: 6l?!! I don’t think my socks (was going to write underwear but have made it G rated) would fit in a 6l pack. Hats off to you.:)
I was equally surprised when I read that, too!...6 L?? He's got to be kidding! I wanted to tease by asking if he was naked every time he did his laundry, but then decided to not run away with the emotionally driven side of my personality and just leave that comment to myself...oops, guess I didn't. :D

Now, I feel much better about donating my 48 liter Osprey Kestrel, and downsizing to an Osprey Kestrel 38 (actually a 36) due to the shorter torso harness. Despite it fitting well and having done several short hikes (7-10 km) range, I remain slightly anxious about my next full Camino.

Having started out five years ago doing so, now I do not usually take a sleeping bag. I do carry an Alps Mountaineering microfiber, full zip, rectangular bag liner. But, this year I bought a Sea to Summit down, zippered quilt that packs very small and weighs well under 1 kg. I am using it under evaluation. If it works it stays. If it does not, it goes... Easy peasy.

Even if it does not fit with everything else, I can always put it in a stuff sack and attach it to the top or bottom...RESULT! My stuff sacks for exterior "dangly bits" are very brightly colored (international safety orange). So they double as a visibility enhancement for road walking.

Thanks for the above exchange of ideas. It helped.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now, I feel much better about donating my 48 liter Osprey Kestrel, and downsizing to an Osprey Kestrel 38 (actually a 36) due to the shorter torso harness. Despite it fitting well and having done several short hikes (7-10 km) range, I remain slightly anxious about my next full Camino.

Having started out five years ago doing so, now I do not usually take a sleeping bag. I do carry an Alps Mountaineering microfiber, full zip, rectangular bag liner. But, this year I bought a Sea to Summit down, zippered quilt that packs very small and weighs well under 1 kg. I am using it under evaluation. If it works it stays. If it does not, it goes... Easy peasy.

Even if it does not fit with everything else, I can always put it in a stuff sack and attach it to the top or bottom...RESULT! My stuff sacks for exterior "dangly bits" are very brightly colored (international safety orange). So they double as a visibility enhancement for road walking.

Thanks for the above exchange of ideas. It helped.
I like my Kestrel 48 for heavy duty back packing in in the Cascades, But I just purchased a Osprey Exos 38 that weighs 2 lbs. I like it 2 lbs. off. and a good sale price from REI. I have practiced packing for my next Camino and the base weight is 5 lbs. + water and snacks so I carry 10-12 lbs. total

I considered the Osprey Exos for the lighter weight. But, I am concerned about the durability over several years, as well as the features the bag had. I like convenience features: adjustment straps, pockets, and attachment points.

FWIW - I would be very interested to hear from you after your Camino regarding how well this particular rucksack help up. Also, let Osprey know as well, via e-mail. Their customer service is outstanding, and they are VERY responsive.

FYI - When I had my fitment problems in Portugal this past year, as mentioned in my post above, I contacted them using e-mail on my iPhone. They responded that day (sometimes time zones work in your favor) telling me that there were no further adjustments that I could make in the field. They advised the best course of action was to obtain a new rucksack with a shorter torso harness. They also let me know that while there are a lot of custom repairs and adjustments they can make to customers bags, they cannot do anything to shorten a torso frame. That is when I devised the field-expedient kitchen sponge/microfiber towel shoulder shim pads.

IMHO, Osprey should produce a "hybrid rucksack" that combines the lightweight of the Exos with some of the nice to have features of the Kestrel series. The Kestrel, to me, appears to be their most full-featured rucksack in the 30-40 liter load range. I would call this the Camino Series... I believe there is an international market for it. I would offer it in the usual boring colors (black, green, red), PLUS, make it in "official" Camino colors royal blue with "traffic yellow" contrasting straps, or the reverse, "traffic yellow" with royal blue accents. They might even charge USD 10 more for the Camino bag and donate it somewhere useful... It is a win win...

As stated before, the BEST rucksack is the one that works for YOU. If you got it at REI, I hope you had it properly fitted in an REI store so you got the correct torso sizing.

Also, before going on Camino, take test hikes with your bag. Either pack it with exactly the items you plan to take, and add water, OR use a dummy load...I prefer bags of kitty litter...I have (or until recently had a cat).

I use a dietary scale that weights in both grams and ounces to weigh EVERYTHING that goes into the rucksack. I also compile an Excel worksheet to track this weight. igt took me five years, but I finally got to about 11 kilograms.

I think that reducing the rucksack size in time for the next Camino will help further. Finally, after every Camino, I make a list of things I did not use at all. They come off the future packing list.

This enables you to get comfortable with the pack on you as well as to fine tune the adjustments. It helps you "hit the ground running" when you arrive at your starting point. IMHO, it is better to experience shoulder or back pain, and to correct the rucksack fit BEFORE you depart your home.

I have had a lot of good results dealing with REI, both in-store and online. When I lived in northern Virginia, I had three REI stores in a 20 minutes driving radius from my home.

But living where I do now, in South Florida, the nearest REI is in Winter Park, outside Orlando, some three-hours away by car. That is too far for my lusted for browsing events...:eek:

Thanks for the exchange, I hope this helps.

I had the Exos fitted properly through an independent dealer and then purchased through REI on-line. Their sale ends today 11/20/17. I saved $40.00 dollars off of other prices I saw advertised.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For an adult walking the summer months on the Camino Frances, a pack in the low 30's L is enough (sleeping bag liner, readily available food supplies, minimal rain gear). Any other condition will increase the needed size: camping gear, small children, cool spring weather, sleeping bag, wet spring weather, walking in France where several days' groceries are necessary. I use an Osprey Exos 48 because of these sorts of situations, but the Exos 38 model was not available then.
Exos 48 for me too. It's never packed full but gives me the option to carry tent and camping equipment if needed.
I also have a smaller Osprey, 20L (I think) and everything for a camino fits into it (minus sleeping bag). I found it much less comfortable than my larger one though so only use it for day trips.

I used a 65 L pack. I did NOT fill my 65L pack; I used little packing squares for my clothing, plus a couple of other soft (quiet) bags to keep my things from rolling around, and then cinched up the pack, collapsing it to half the size.

My reasons for using the big one: it was free, it fit, and it reminded me of my family everytime I wore it.

Would I use it again? YES
1) It had a rigid frame that transferred the load to my hips very effectively. My shoulders never had a lot of stress, and the shoulder/neck pain I felt was just the lingering stress of sitting at a desk - it got better over time, not worse.
2) There was a lot of flexibility and adjustments. I could try a slightly longer or shorter torso length, increase the amount of weight on my shoulders if my hips needed a break, loosen the load lifter straps or tighten them... Basically I could reconfigure it mostly on the fly to match whatever my body needed at the moment.
3) The gifts I bought for friends and family in Santiago fit inside the back.
4) Without anything in the top pouch, it was still carry-on friendly.

The tradeoffs:
1) it was heavier.
2) because I'd cinched the pack up, there were a few odd little pockets from bunched fabric. That meant some small items that did not reside inside packing bags got "lost" and then "found" two days later. Not a big deal, but it made for a few annoyed moments.

I'll add my 2 liters :)

I used the Opsrey 46 Kyte and hubby used the Kestrel 48L. We felt no desire to over pack but we are also experienced wilderness backpackers and even on normal overseas international vacations just take carry on. I carried a light sleeping bag and I didn't want to have my stuff squished in the pack. Plus, doing the Primitivo route we knew that we'd have to carry more food than those doing the Frances. My pack weighed around 15 lb including 3 liters of water that I always carried (again, due to the route we took and the high heat we experienced).
I love my pack. I also didn't want to waste my money on a pack that I would never be able to use again. I have a large 60L pack for multi-day wilderness backpacking and I needed a smaller pack for long day hikes and suitable for glacier travel and climbing. So for me, the Kyte 46 served two purposes.

If I didn't care about a secondary use, or needing extra room for more food, I would have purchased the Kyte 36. It's all about what you need without ending up with a pack that's bulging at the seams or has shoes and crap dangling off the back (which does actually throw off your gait, even if you don't think you notice it).

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pack should be large enough for what you need, but small enough so you can’t pack too much. Not sure how tall your husband is but I am 6’7” and finding a long enough pack is difficult. I use a Bergen’s of Norway 48 liter. My size 16 shoes take up a lot of space, more than about anything else. Not much chance of finding any on the Camino, I reckon.

Well, thank you everyone! Lots of great info - and while the answers to my question re pack size was always going to be an estimate - I have a better idea of what to look out for.

Many of you here (and in private) have pointed out the importance of getting a bag that is fitted by professionals and that a good fitting bag is the most important consideration - thank you. I have looked at a couple of shops and each time the assistant mentioned that there was a bit of a process to choosing the right backpack - so that is reassuring. I will most definitely keep your advice in mind. I live almost 3 hrs from the major stores, so am doing a lot of on-line browsing (will buy in-store). We are heading off to the city in the next few weeks for a weekend of Camino shopping - a bit of a process when it is x4. Lurch, my husband is 6'4" - hopefully he wont struggle with finding the right pack.

I am thinking of getting some packing cells to make it easier to track our own belongings. Eagle Creek have compression cells which I was thinking of getting for my husband and me - so while the packs will be the same weight, compressed means it wont be so tightly packed... what do you think (hint... it won't be the first time I have been accused of overthinking things!!!!)

Firewood - yay! Another family.. We had originally planned to leave beginning of March but decided to give it a couple of extra weeks so that more places would be open. When are you leaving? It would be great if our paths cross. I think we will be in sjpdp around 19 March. And thank you for your kind words.

Do you know, all this said....
My first pack I bought from Lidl, very cheap, thinking I would NEVER use it again. I had no idea about hiking let alone with a backpack. This was to be a one-off experience.
I walked the 800km to Santiago and then on to Fisterra with it, no problems.
Some of my fellow pilgrims did laugh at it, calling it my 'school satchel' ... But as I kept it very light, I never had problems with it. No back ache or whatever. It became part of me.
One can overthink things ;)
Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, thank you everyone! Lots of great info - and while the answers to my question re pack size was always going to be an estimate - I have a better idea of what to look out for.

Many of you here (and in private) have pointed out the importance of getting a bag that is fitted by professionals and that a good fitting bag is the most important consideration - thank you. I have looked at a couple of shops and each time the assistant mentioned that there was a bit of a process to choosing the right backpack - so that is reassuring. I will most definitely keep your advice in mind. I live almost 3 hrs from the major stores, so am doing a lot of on-line browsing (will buy in-store). We are heading off to the city in the next few weeks for a weekend of Camino shopping - a bit of a process when it is x4. Lurch, my husband is 6'4" - hopefully he wont struggle with finding the right pack.

I am thinking of getting some packing cells to make it easier to track our own belongings. Eagle Creek have compression cells which I was thinking of getting for my husband and me - so while the packs will be the same weight, compressed means it wont be so tightly packed... what do you think (hint... it won't be the first time I have been accused of overthinking things!!!!)

Firewood - yay! Another family.. We had originally planned to leave beginning of March but decided to give it a couple of extra weeks so that more places would be open. When are you leaving? It would be great if our paths cross. I think we will be in sjpdp around 19 March. And thank you for your kind words.

My wife and I use inexpensive stuff sacks because they are adjustable within the pack. We travel a lot and when we carry on roller bags packing cells are great because they keep the clothing folded and neat. While back packing I don't care if my clothing is wrinkled or not. of course we only carry 1 set of clothing besides what we are wearing.

We'll be leaving St Jean around the 2nd or 3rd of March, depending on how well everyone gets over jet lag. We've allotted almost 7 weeks to walk so we can go at the kids' pace and take rest days. So if we are slow and you are fast (which may well be the case), we might run into each other near Santiago!

You can go lower than 35L but the tighter the pack, the harder it is to locate things inside your pack. I use and love the Lowe Alpine 35-45L. I never go beyond the 35L capacity but it suits my back length. My wife uses the Lowe Alpine 33-40L as this has a shorter back. So I guess any pack with at least 33L capacity should be OK, it is then a question of finding the pack that fits you most comfortably. If you find a couple of packs that fit comfortably then I suggest looking for one with an off-set mesh back which makes a difference on the really hot days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Gumba,

First, forget about the 10% rule. It is more an old wives tale than based on fact. Make a list of needs. Accumulate them and put them in a plastic bag. Weigh yourself on the bathroom scale and weigh again holding the bag. Subtract one weight from the other and you have the weignt of your contents.Total weight acceptability can only be determined by you. But with the weight of your belongings, you can hop off to the store and look for a pack that will handle them all. Actually, taking the bag of belongings will work even better as you can toss it into various packs and experience how they sit on you, how they make you feel.

Do this for each Family member. And total weignt will be Personal stuff + Weight of Pack + Water

Pack size will be determined by amount of belongings. Best guess for the children, maybe 20L packs. For Mum and Dad, really do the best to keep it as low as possible, but with some expandability. I use a 48L Osprey Kestrel and I filled it up, 32 lb, which was way too much. I got that down to 20 lb but that was even too much. Remember, the larger the pack capacity, the heavier it will be by iteslf. It is not a trip to accumulate souvenirs but an extra sweater or other warm gear may be necessary. March / April is early Spring in the Northern Hemisphere and temps are not, well, tropical. They are actually below normal room temp. But that does allow for a better walking / hiking result at the end of each day. So, mitts, hats and scarves all round.

Now, no one will likely say this but, take a sleeping bag, even a light one, and be prepared to sleep in your clothes, which will reduce pack weight bit also keep you warm at night. Ther eis one issue with this. If you get too warm, shed a layer. It is not wise to get up and start the day with clothes full of moisture. Open sleeping bags, even for a few minutes to release the warmth and moisture and open them up again at the end of the day, first thing, to ensure they have a chance to dry before bedtime.

Thirty litres is the perfect size. If u use a bigger bag it is a sign u are carrying too much stuff.
Thirty litres can carry food for the day, water and all your stuff without cramming stuff in

I have a 50 litre black diamond pack, which can be compressed with the straps (as you will see by the pic below). I did my camino in the fall, so felt it necessary to bring along my sleeping bag and I'm glad I did because some of those albergue blankets were kind of gross. Don't forget that you can send your pack ahead every day if necessary, so, if your children have trouble with their gear, you can always send theirs ahead.

Just don't end up looking like this!!

Buen Camino

Attachments

• huge-backpack.jpg
    huge-backpack.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 12079520_148401038847040_271699592993987026_n[1].jpg
    12079520_148401038847040_271699592993987026_n[1].jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 103
I have a 50 litre black diamond pack, which can be compressed with the straps (as you will see by the pic below). I did my camino in the fall, so felt it necessary to bring along my sleeping bag and I'm glad I did because some of those albergue blankets were kind of gross. Don't forget that you can send your pack ahead every day if necessary, so, if your children have trouble with their gear, you can always send theirs ahead.

Just don't end up looking like this!!

Buen Camino

Now THAT'S a backpack!!!! Thanks for the pics :)

I was equally surprised when I read that, too!...6 L?? He's got to be kidding! I wanted to tease by asking if he was naked every time he did his laundry, but then decided to not run away with the emotionally driven side of my personality and just leave that comment to myself...oops, guess I didn't. :D

Yep. Plan to take a 6litre Osprey next time (warm months). 3 caminos done and take less and less each time! Damn, I'll have to take a photo and do a packing list now?!

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Yes, please. Packing list and photo!;)

Oh dear, here we go. Sub 2kg pack weight for warmer months using an Osprey Rev 6 litre running pack.

Roll-on deo (half full), wet wipes, 50ml spf 50 (half full), 16ml toothpaste, folding toothbrush, aluminium tin containing soap block (showering and laundry), phone charger, passport, credential, First aid (bandage, plasters, paracetamol, chlorine dioxide tablets (water purifucation), wound dressing, tape (micropore, good for taping toes), Imodium, ear plugs, toothpicks, Compeed silicone stick (foot care).
Total sundries 470g

Swimming trunks 55g
WarmPeace Hotshirt 155g
Northface shorts 213g
Biwak hiking towel 143g
Silk sleeping liner 119g
Karrimor XS dry bag 50g
Reading glasses 27g
Helly Hansen waterproof jacket 270g
Merino socks 70g
Total gear 1102g

Total carried in pack = 1572g
Plus 2l water in hydration bladder 2000g
Osprey 6 litre Rev 6 Pack weight 400g
Total including pack weight 3972g
Total without water 1972g

Worn: Hat, earbuds, phone, sunglasses, wallet.
Edit: Plus Hotshirt, Northface shorts, merino socks and swimming trunks (set No 2 for Chris Camino's benefit...It's no good/too late now, you already have the image in your mind.)

Not usually a fan of hydration bladders but will be using one on Via de la Plata. In colder months I would dump tha bladder and just use 500ml shop bought water bottle. Without bladder in rucksack there is space for my super light sleeping bag in the hydration bladder pocket.

That's based on 3 caminos, leaving out stuff I have taken in the past but not used etc. A bit extreme but I like this new mini pack as it leaves my lower back free for ventilation.

Thanks
I intend to do my first Camino next October and I intend to use the Osprey Exos 38 rucksack, assuming that I'm still able to purchase this model next year. The decision is based upon info, advice, and recommendations gleaned from forums such as this - and the fact that this rucksack is very light when empty.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
View attachment 37564 View attachment 37563

Oh dear, here we go. Sub 2kg pack weight for warmer months using an Osprey Rev 6 litre running pack.

Roll-on deo (half full), wet wipes, 50ml spf 50 (half full), 16ml toothpaste, folding toothbrush, aluminium tin containing soap block (showering and laundry), phone charger, passport, credential, First aid (bandage, plasters, paracetamol, chlorine dioxide tablets (water purifucation), wound dressing, tape (micropore, good for taping toes), Imodium, ear plugs, toothpicks, Compeed silicone stick (foot care).
Total sundries 470g

Swimming trunks 55g
WarmPeace Hotshirt 155g
Northface shorts 213g
Biwak hiking towel 143g
Silk sleeping liner 119g
Karrimor XS dry bag 50g
Reading glasses 27g
Helly Hansen waterproof jacket 270g
Merino socks 70g
Total gear 1102g

Total carried in pack = 1572g
Plus 2l water in hydration bladder 2000g
Osprey 6 litre Rev 6 Pack weight 400g
Total including pack weight 3972g
Total without water 1972g

Worn: Hat, earbuds, phone, sunglasses, wallet.
Edit: Plus Hotshirt, Northface shorts, merino socks and swimming trunks (set No 2 for Chris Camino's benefit...It's no good/too late now, you already have the image in your mind.)

Not usually a fan of hydration bladders but will be using one on Via de la Plata. In colder months I would dump tha bladder and just use 500ml shop bought water bottle. Without bladder in rucksack there is space for my super light sleeping bag in the hydration bladder pocket.

That's based on 3 caminos, leaving out stuff I have taken in the past but not used etc. A bit extreme but I like this new mini pack as it leaves my lower back free for ventilation.
Thank you for your detailed minimalist list of items that fills your 6L day pack. Now I just need to convert all the ml, kg, and g into the USA measurements in pounds and ounces! ;)

Thirty litres is the perfect size. If u use a bigger bag it is a sign u are carrying too much stuff.
Thirty litres can carry food for the day, water and all your stuff without cramming stuff in
@coolavidt - a 30l pack is okay if your walking in summer and on the Camino Frances where there are small towns every 5km. However, in winter time and on the longer stretches (i.e Via de la Plata which is over 100km and the average daily distance is around 25-30km) you'll probably need a 46 -50l pack to carry a minimum of two litres of water and food. What does this mean? Hands free and nothing dangling off the sides of your pack or around your waist except for your pack belt. And you can still get your pack weight down to a comfortable and manageable weight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I intend to do my first Camino next October and I intend to use the Osprey Exos 38 rucksack, assuming that I'm still able to purchase this model next year. The decision is based upon info, advice, and recommendations gleaned from forums such as this - and the fact that this rucksack is very light when empty.
My tiny daughter in law, who had never hiked before, purchased the Exos 48, left the removeable top at home and absolutely loved it with no complaints for the 800k walk. It even fit in the overhead on the plane.

I walk/ran the CF Pamplona to Leon in the end. The VdLP still awaits for when I can get more time off :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could consider an expandable backpack. Mine is a 40 liter but can be expanded to 50 liters. As it turned out the 40 liters was (more than) enough.

I agree. If you don't need to spend the night outdoors, then you can reduce a lot of weight. When I was on the same journey, I found that the 35-liter backpack was just right for me, and I could easily complete my trip without bearing too much weight. Tips, the backpack with charging design is also very good: https://www.gearhunder.com/backpack-with-charger/

When I was on the same journey, I found that the 35-liter backpack was just right for me, and I could easily complete my trip without bearing too much weight. Tips, the backpack with charging design is also very good: https://www.gearhunder.com/backpack-with-charger/
Have you walked the camino, or are you planning it for 2020?

The advertising says: "Please noted [sic] that this backpack doesn't power itself, usb charging port only offers an easy access to charge."

So, you still need to plug the backpack into a power source!

Regarding the statement that "you can probably [sic] keep your laptop... safe inside as it's screened," since you still need to open the backpack, place it in the tray in a suitable position, and convince the security agent that this is an acceptable substitute for removing it as instructed, you won't be saving any effort!

The "charging" aspect seems like a useless gimmick. Also, for the camino, I would always recommend that your backpack have a hip belt, which this doesn't have, especially if you are carrying the weight of a laptop computer!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used a 24 liter pack and carried more than I needed and lacked nothing.

This is a 5-year-old thread. We have more recent threads on backpack size - click on the tag "backpack & packing" under the thread title at the top of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.