• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What souvenir(s) did you bring back from the Camino?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A silver enamelled scallop shell ring for me and three flamenco dresses for my grand-daughters. Unfortunately my grand-daughters' other grandmother had just been to a conference in Andalusia and guess what she took home for them?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not a keychain but a watch fob. No pocket watch so the small shackle keeps it on a belt loop all the time-always. The shell opens to reveal a figure of Saint James and hjis sword/cross. Available for 2-3 Euros at any less than first rate souvenir shop.
upload_2015-7-27_17-43-43.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I found sort of woven ribbons for 1 euro each - I think you're supposed to tie them round your wrist. One is the Lord's Prayer and the other is the Hail Mary, in Spanish of course, with appropriate pictures illustating each phrase. Available everywhere.

I purchased a ceramic tile with a yellow arrow on a blue background. I put it in a frame and it is hanging just outside the front door of my house. It reminds me every day how lucky I am to be a member of the ever growing Peregrino family and where the origin of my Camino begins.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After my last Camino I returned with 6 terracotta tapas dishes and a multi pack of Chupa Chups lollipops.

I already had a t-shirt.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A fridge magnet everytime. I like buying things at the cathedral shop: my way to comtribute to the renos .last fall I saw a book that explains the architecture of churches and regreted not buying it.I did this time. Also a mug from the cathedral and one of the University of Santiago.and this year also a dozen tin shells made by a local crafstman, for my Xmas tree. Bought the, in a little shop in Rua Nova, jist a bit to thr left of PilgrimHouse whem facing it. And a silver mini pillbox for my collection. Favourites are the tin shells and Uof santiago mug. Use it daily at work.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A key chain .... I was so concerned about getting both the arrow and the shell pointing in the same direction, I didn't notice that the peregrino was going the other way :(
View attachment 20076
Key ring, as the photo, only my Pilgrim is walking in the right direction ( the arrow points the other way).
Not a keychain but a watch fob. No pocket watch so the small shackle keeps it on a belt loop all the time-always. The shell opens to reveal a figure of Saint James and hjis sword/cross. Available for 2-3 Euros at any less than first rate souvenir shop.
View attachment 20081
One key ring ( which Scruffy calls a watch fob, but I use it as a key ring)!
Loads of frig magnets, for us and friends.
Two bumper stickers.
One flamenco dress for my youngest granddaughter.
One torta de Santiago.
The usual touristy T- shirts, but also one very stylish one, which I renewed this year, due to 'fabric fatigue' on the other.
Forum badge from Ivar.
One t- shirt for granddaughter with written ' Somebody who loves me brought this back fromSantiago.
Several Compostellas!
One dog scarer ( see recent post in CP).
Book written by a local pharmacist fromSantiago about Costa Rica!!!
CD's with Gregorian music.

Forgot the mug and several pins and a bracelet from the Pilgrim office.

Two tarta Santiagos
One big can of Cola Cao
Two bags of Spanish coffee
Two packs of saffron
Two packs of polvorones
Two cans of Pimenton (smoked paprika)
Three different bottles of Andalusian olive oil
Several bags of the La Jolca olives.

Ah right, let's not forget the booze for the bartender in the family: orujo from a gourmet shop in Leon and fromthe airport this liqueur used to make cocktails called 54, I think, and this time around another liqueur called Tunel, made with herbs from Mallorca. No clue if it's any good.

Then ther's a tshirt I have never worn because I don't wear that type of Gildan like Ts, but I loved the slogan: "la ilusion es el Camino, Santiago mi destino'. Depending on the meaning ilusion takes, illusion or hope/dream/great joy it's either the joy is the Camino, Santiago my destiny, or the illusion is the Camino ☺️

There is a reason I bring one of those super collapsable nylon duffle bags with me: for the shopping!

And thenI stock up on prescription meds for my dogs, and Malvela nail polishes for me. Got to love Spanish farmacias, they will sell you anything you ask for and practically give it away. My bet doesn't see me very often

But I want that rubber ducky!

I kind of prebought my souvenirs here and one other forum, like the refrigerator magnet and bandanna with a Camino map on it. Does that count? Usually, the only thing I get on a trip is maybe a photo album if it ties in with where I am at. Yep, Our house still uses photo albums after each trip.

From three visits to Santiago:
A Galician cookbook
Leather key chain with pewter shell attached
14k Gold scallop shell necklace
Small handmade Galician-design ceramic dish
Small blue tile with scallop shell
Orujo (for husband)
Silk scarf from Cathedral gift shop (for daughter)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ten years ago when nervously beginning my first camino a kindly volunteer of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques in SJPdP offered me a pilgrim shell; I wore it with pride.

Today that first precious shell hangs at the door of our farmhouse continuing the timeless tradition of marking a pilgrim place.

For me it is the camino and priceless.

MM

The first time I walked the Camino I brought back t-shirts with the village names along the Camino Frances. It was a very handy reminder. I gave them to everyone in our immediate family; husband, two daughters, son-in-law. They all eventually walked the Camino.

I bought back a CD of Festa Celta Galician pipers, a blue tile with the yellow arrow on it, and an ambition to return and do it all again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A fridge magnet that says "A pilgrim lives here".
Many T shirts but everyone's favourite seems to be the one with Homer Simpson as a pilgrim with a can of beer.
But come to think of it the pilgrim Frank Sinatra shirt that says "I did it My Way" might give Homer a run for his money.
Any number of scallop shells in all different forms.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From my first Camino, I bought in Santiago a yellow arrow pin (always on my bag) and a yellow arrow patch to stitch on my camino backpack, the same patch that my boyfriend -4 caminos walked- has on his backpack ;) )
Ah! I forgot: a cookbook too about galicia food!

First Camino, a yellow and blue shell hat pin, a yellow arrow pin for my pack, a bronze shell for the back of my pack and a smaller one for the back of my hat, a ceramic camino shell tile for outside my house, a silver shell necklace with ear rings for my wife, and 14 days of memories.
Second Camino, another yellow arrow pin for my pack, a Portuguese Caminho tee shirt, and over 3 weeks of memories.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bring back coffee or tea cups from my travels so I am looking forward to finding a local potter or similar along my way. I have mugs/cups from Russia to France to Turkey, Sweden and Disneyland (lol) and many more.

There is a nice artisan shop behind the cathedral that carries local handmade Galician ceramics (also jewelry and other local crafts). I think it is called Amboa. Last time I was there they had some unique mugs. Have a wonderful camino!

We've been home two months but my husband, not a medallion man, still wears the small gold religious pendant given to him in the Convent at Carrion de Los Condes around his neck. Say something for the strength of the cotton thread used! Mine is resting on my dressing table.

Over the years:
2001 - paella pan, tee-shirts and ear-rings (for daughters) red and gold cloth "Camino de Santiago/Camino de Europa" patch
2002 - (hospitalero at Rabanal) red and gold cloth "Camino de Santiago/Camino de Europa" patch
2003 - Nunca Mais tee-shirt, more ear-rings, vieira de Santiago and St James' cross pins, various tiles
2012 - red and gold cloth "Camino de Santiago/Camino de Europa" patch, silver bracelets
2015 - more tee-shirts, ear-rings, Buff from Muxia with sello pattern, resin scallop shell for house wall, 3D map of CP
Was tempted to buy a 3D model of myself but that shop was never open

From various places along the way: A yellow arrow pin badge, an enamelled shell necklace, a mug, a sweatshirt, a tee shirt and a morcilla (black pudding) fridge magnet which I sadly dropped and broke when I was unpacking at home

WildPlace, is that why you're going back? To replace your magnet?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I brought Camino t-shirts for family and sent post cards.
I took memories, photos and the wish to return.
The Camino kept my heart.
Buen Camino.

I picked up several nice scallop shells off the beach at Finisterre and brought them home after wrapping them up in layers of toilet tissue for padding in my bag. I gave them to my nieces and they loved them. Figured those off the beach at Finisterre are way cooler than ones bought at a shop.

I bring back coffee or tea cups from my travels so I am looking forward to finding a local potter or similar along my way. I have mugs/cups from Russia to France to Turkey, Sweden and Disneyland (lol) and many more.

Hi, Shells,
This is probably not the type of mug you are looking for, nothing artisanal in the mug itself, but you can get your favorite stamps from your credential put on it. I think that's a pretty cool idea. http://caminoestrella.com

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't usually buy too much when I get to Santiago, but I was so happy to get my Tarta de Santiago metal stencil (two sizes, large and small, in the basement of the ferreteria in the Plaza Galicia). It makes the cake look so much fancier.

I don't wear much jewelry but I have bought both a sterling bracelet and necklace, with scallop shell made of sterling and jet (azabache, seems to be a "typical" stone from the area). It always gets a compliment, but that's maybe because people are so shocked to see me wearing jewelry. I used the advice from this thread and made sure to go to a real jeweler rather than a tourist shop: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/jewelry-store-in-sdc.5591/

I guess consumables don't count as souvenirs, but that's what I always fill up my duffel bag with -- lots of olive oil, the occasional special small production bottle of wine, smoked paprika from La Vera (became very popular in the US after a New York Times article, http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14power.html and makes a great little gift for your friends who cook a lot), saffron (my friends tell me that the relatively cheap stuff I buy for them in Spain is ten times better than what they get here). There are also lots of great dried legumes, such as pardina lentils, Blanco Lechoso garbanzo beans (bigger than the normal US chickpea), white beans from Lourenza, etc etc. This is why I always carry on my hiking poles in a duffel bag and then send the empty duffel up to Santiago. I then fill it up and check it on the return trip home!

Hi, Shells,
This is probably not the type of mug you are looking for, nothing artisanal in the mug itself, but you can get your favorite stamps from your credential put on it. I think that's a pretty cool idea. http://caminoestrella.com
I have such a variety of mugs/cups that I bring home that this works perfectly. The only real criteria for them is that they represent either my travels or a local artist and that they must be a useable mug. Coffee conversation at my house often begins around the story of the coffee mug they are drinking out of and then evolves.

Aside from the amazing memories, what souvenirs did you bring back from the Camino?

I bought a rosary for my mom in Santiago and a shirt for my brother. I brought my shell home for my dad, and my compostella home for myself.
First time a tattoo with a shell and an arrow. The second time I met the man I later married. The third time we bought our wedding rings in Santiago...

I bought a small enamel pin of the scallop and one of the yellow arrows, a ceramic tile with the route scallop, and finally a granite scallop (2" across), like the ones on the walls. And that was the most luxurious item I ventured to buy and to send home. After some time at home, one of the corners broke off and I had to glue it together at stick it onto a slap of granite tile , and is now sitting on my front steps.
Its importance is only known to me and some of the initiated that come to our house. It reminds me every time I set foot on the steps, to and from my workplace only a few kilometers away. These items are dear to me....It reminds of how easy it is to pick up my rucksack and my boots, and how far I can get, and how it all helped me after my cancer.
I Can Do This !!

Attachments

• DSCF6038.JPG
    DSCF6038.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
WildPlace, is that why you're going back? To replace your magnet?

Absolutely! :-D Although really I'd bought the magnet in Burgos and because they had an event on during the 2 days I had there - they made the worlds longest morcilla/black pudding which was a pretty amazing sight!

To my list of souvenirs I forgot to add the mouse mat with the names of many many places that I stopped at, I use it every day and it makes me happy.

Someone mentioned tattoo, I had a scallop shell tattoo done when I got back home

Aside from the amazing memories, what souvenirs did you bring back from the Camino?

I bought a rosary for my mom in Santiago and a shirt for my brother. I brought my shell home for my dad, and my compostella home for myself.
I usually bring smal Stones and seeds from trees and flowers.And also I have bought a silver ring. You have to carry it,so it cant be big.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I usually bring smal Stones and seeds from trees and flowers.And also I have bought a silver ring. You have to carry it,so it cant be big

You have to be careful as the importation of seeds etc. may be illegal. Many plants are invasive and I am pretty sure that when I fill out a customs declaration upon return to Canada I confirm that I am not bringing any plants etc. with me (I cannot remember the exact wording) and of course if found they would confiscate them and possibly dole out other consequences.

Just saw an interesting article, describing that the tradition of jewelry making with azabache (jet) goes back to the Middle Ages. If you've been to Santiago you have probably noticed the rows of jewelry stores around the back of the Cathedral and on the street leading down to the Praza Obradoiro from Cervantes.

This article also says that Santiago is the only place in Galicia where azabache jewelry is made, so if you're looking for an "authentic" souvenir, this may be it! It's not terribly expensive either, and I would recommend going to a "real" jewelry shop rather than a tourist stop if you want something that will last.

Buen camino, Laurie

We are definitely not allowed to bring in seeds and live plant products, (and many other things).
I quote from the Australian quarantine service, but I'm sure it's relevant to other places as well:

"Live animals and plants, plant material, animal products and certain food from overseas could introduce some of the world’s most serious pests and diseases into Australia, devastating our valuable agriculture and tourism industries and unique environment.

The Department of Agriculture (the department), along with other jurisdictions, industry and the community, plays a vital role in maintaining Australia’s clean and wholesome food supply—at home and abroad. Australia’s biosecurity system protects our human, animal and plant health by reducing the risk of unwanted pests and diseases arriving in the country. Everyone benefits from a strong biosecurity system so everyone has a role to play."

I've witnessed animals being slaughtered wholesale to prevent the spread of an imported disease. It ain't nice.

Please declare your souvenirs if they are on the quarantine list.

€46,-
I too got a key chain,but mine was the Irish flag with a scallop shell on it.It is always with me.
I want one of those, guess I have to go back. :) I brought home a t shirt, blue with simple scallop design over heart, two fridge magnets and a scallop shell lapel pin. Second time I got a botafumeiro ornament and a yellow arrow lapel pin. As it was just before our 40th wedding annivesary I got the wife a gold cross of St James encrusted with rubies. The most striking souvenir however was brought home by my son. A blue tile with scallop symbol to stick on front door but only after a compass app was obtained to settle the argument about which way to Santiago from our front door. :)

Over the years:
2001 - paella pan, tee-shirts and ear-rings (for daughters) red and gold cloth "Camino de Santiago/Camino de Europa" patch
2002 - (hospitalero at Rabanal) red and gold cloth "Camino de Santiago/Camino de Europa" patch
2003 - Nunca Mais tee-shirt, more ear-rings, vieira de Santiago and St James' cross pins, various tiles
2012 - red and gold cloth "Camino de Santiago/Camino de Europa" patch, silver bracelets
2015 - more tee-shirts, ear-rings, Buff from Muxia with sello pattern, resin scallop shell for house wall, 3D map of CP
Was tempted to buy a 3D model of myself but that shop was never open
You were lucky. I (unfortunately) had a 3D scan done in the IALMA 3D shop in Santiago around 23rd July 2015. I paid fee and postage to Ireland. Nothing has arrived. It appears the shop is now closed and I can find no contact details for the company IALMA 3D. They appeared to be professional, but I'm out of pocket to the tune of €135. They stated that they were having a problem with their 3d printer and if I waited they would send the next biggest model instead. I never heard from them again.

Scallop shell, and my eternity ring made in Santiago and set with azabache; plus other minor items over the years.....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I haven't done the Camino yet, but did spend a month in Satiago last summer visiting friends. I brought back CDs of Galician music, safron, wine, and my husband bought me a pendant set with jet (the local black stone). I know when I do the Camino I plan to write myself postcards and send them on home, so I have a collection of memories when I get there.

I bought CAMELLIA OIL, a natural oil to moisture the skin that comes from gallician camellias. It is awesome!! I recomend you all. It is difficult to find but I found it just behind the cathedral (shop Camelia, 19 Xelmirez street).

I purchased a ceramic tile with a yellow arrow on a blue background. I put it in a frame and it is hanging just outside the front door of my house. It reminds me every day how lucky I am to be a member of the ever growing Peregrino family and where the origin of my Camino begins.
Do you recall where you bought your tile, great souvenir!

The friends I walked with surprised me in Santiago with a miniature botafumeria, as a gift for planning our trip. I wear it on a necklace that stays on all the time.

I did bring a T-Shirt from SdC with a small blue-yellow print on the front. A did bring the shell, like in the old days.
In Porto (from there I flew home to germany) I have bought a handcrafted wooden fan with nacre inlays for my wife.

Buen Camino!
Roland

The camino is supposed to teach us to travel light - that we don't need so much "stuff". Looking at my piles of souvenirs, I clearly didn't learn that lesson! Perhaps I need to walk another camino to try and learn again. Realistically speaking, however, I know that I won't and that I'll return from my next camino with even more souvenirs and mementos. Some things that I have picked up include:
  • many, many tee shirts
  • a fridge magnet for home that looks like the rectangular blue sign with the arrow, the stylized shell and the stylized walker
  • a tiny copy of those granite waymarkers for my desk at work
  • various camino patches and pins
  • decks of Camino de Santiago-themed playing cards
  • books
  • a set of commemorative postage stamps for the Camino Portugues with a stamp for every place I stayed at in Spain on my last CP
  • a tie that I am wearing now from Santiago de Compostela that has a pattern of crosses of Santiago
I'm sure there are more. Those are just the ones that come to mind. And that list doesn't include the compostelae and other certificates, the photo books I had put together and printed after my return, the other books I've bought here, the wall map I had made of my 2016 camino....

As I said, there was a key lesson that somehow escaped me.

Two tarta Santiagos
One big can of Cola Cao
Two bags of Spanish coffee
Two packs of saffron
Two packs of polvorones
Two cans of Pimenton (smoked paprika)
Three different bottles of Andalusian olive oil
Several bags of the La Jolca olives.
I don't usually buy too much when I get to Santiago, but I was so happy to get my Tarta de Santiago metal stencil (two sizes, large and small, in the basement of the ferreteria in the Plaza Galicia). It makes the cake look so much fancier.

I don't wear much jewelry but I have bought both a sterling bracelet and necklace, with scallop shell made of sterling and jet (azabache, seems to be a "typical" stone from the area). It always gets a compliment, but that's maybe because people are so shocked to see me wearing jewelry. I used the advice from this thread and made sure to go to a real jeweler rather than a tourist shop: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/jewelry-store-in-sdc.5591/

I guess consumables don't count as souvenirs, but that's what I always fill up my duffel bag with -- lots of olive oil, the occasional special small production bottle of wine, smoked paprika from La Vera (became very popular in the US after a New York Times article, http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14power.html and makes a great little gift for your friends who cook a lot), saffron (my friends tell me that the relatively cheap stuff I buy for them in Spain is ten times better than what they get here). There are also lots of great dried legumes, such as pardina lentils, Blanco Lechoso garbanzo beans (bigger than the normal US chickpea), white beans from Lourenza, etc etc. This is why I always carry on my hiking poles in a duffel bag and then send the empty duffel up to Santiago. I then fill it up and check it on the return trip home!
Iam a chef so I like your souvenirs.

The camino is supposed to teach us to travel light - that we don't need so much "stuff". Looking at my piles of souvenirs, I clearly didn't learn that lesson! Perhaps I need to walk another camino to try and learn again. Realistically speaking, however, I know that I won't and that I'll return from my next camino with even more souvenirs and mementos. Some things that I have picked up include:
  • many, many tee shirts
  • a fridge magnet for home that looks like the rectangular blue sign with the arrow, the stylized shell and the stylized walker
  • a tiny copy of those granite waymarkers for my desk at work
  • various camino patches and pins
  • decks of Camino de Santiago-themed playing cards
  • books
  • a set of commemorative postage stamps for the Camino Portugues with a stamp for every place I stayed at in Spain on my last CP
  • a tie that I am wearing now from Santiago de Compostela that has a pattern of crosses of Santiago
I'm sure there are more. Those are just the ones that come to mind. And that list doesn't include the compostelae and other certificates, the photo books I had put together and printed after my return, the other books I've bought here, the wall map I had made of my 2016 camino....

As I said, there was a key lesson that somehow escaped me.
At the end of the day if looking at your souvenirs makes you smile and brings back good memories, and stories to tell friends and family they are worth the weight of bringing them back home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I brought back an authentic bronze shell marker (the ones you see imbedded into the roads). It came with a certificate of authenticity....I embedded it into the doorway of my art studio and every day I step on it on my way through the door reminding me of the many paths I can take and explore with my art

Interesting topic...it DOES depend on how much backpacking you have left to do before you get home. For me it is always a tile ( for ME...not for others). The routes I walk these days don't necessarily have a matching tile....so I buy the generic arrow ones and write in my path. Yes, a bit of vainglory but I am pleased with the overall effect.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A beautiful, tiny piece of hand embroidery from Santiago; a refrigerator magnet; a little set of earrings given to me by a fellow peregrina; a set of slippers from the Parador (they give them away when you spend the night, no worries); a tee-shirt for my hubby back home; lots of pamphlets; bars of Froiz and Lagato soaps.
I knew no one else would truly appreciate the souvenir for what it meant to ME, so I went light. My photos, my FB friends, my journal. Yeah, looking at it, it is a pretty lame list of souvenirs.
Oh, yes, an unused package of Compeed. Take that, you nasty ol' blisters!!!

I brought back an authentic bronze shell marker (the ones you see imbedded into the roads). It came with a certificate of authenticity....I embedded it into the doorway of my art studio and every day I step on it on my way through the door reminding me of the many paths I can take and explore with my art
Where can one obtain these?

Some tiles from SdC, and another (the rooster) from Leon cathedral, a white gold scallop shell necklace, and one of Weiho's paintings!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
November 2019, I purchased two pink Santiago sweatshirts, and sweatshirt and several tee-shirts with a Black woman riding a bike with a bottom banner which read: Camino de Santiago. And, two of those Camino Frances tees with the cities and yellow arrows of CF on them.

A Santiago coin purse for a young cousin.

Peregrino tee for young male cousin and two Santiago bibs for babies in family.

Hate to admit, but once home, I asked a friend to purchase nine more of those above-mentioned Black woman tees and ship them to me; late Christmas presents.

Gosh, do I wish I were there!

Apart from photos and very dirty clothes, I brought back little souvenirs for the family, mainly necklaces, earrings, and bracelets. I love my shell earrings, I get a different pair for myself each time.
But last time I also bought two tiles, one with the arrow the other with the shell symbol. I will figure out where to attach them to the house eventually.

€149,-
A proper , 1 litre Bota, traditionally made with traditional resin and all.

€60,-
I always bring back Pimentón de la Vera.

As I arrived at the cathedral at the end of my first Camino Galician music was playing from one of the souvenir shops near the south transept door. I bought a cassette of the album being played (yes - it was that long ago :) ) and played it often until my toddler son thought it would be fun to pull out all the tape! Thankfully it is all on Youtube these days :cool:
1579692294496.png

PS: On a later Camino I was sitting at lunch and whistling one of my favourite tracks from the album softly under my breath. A very lively dance. I was struggling to remember the name of the track. Then I glanced at the bottle of wine I had been given with my menu del dia and the brand name on the label was the name of the track: 'Brincadeiro' :)

Last edited:
I saw some in SdC last Sept.
Quite hefty prices, they were numbered and made from bronze...
The price was actually cheap considering they are made from pure bronze, each is a piece of art, so comes with a certificate of authenticity

I had a fun time searching all over Santiago for a small San Roque statuette. Santiago is full of stores selling saint figures, but San Roque is hard to find. I finally found one in a small shop on a back street, selling religious icons. San Roque is the saint you see in churches along the way, holding up his robe to reveal a plague sore and he has a dog by his side. The story is that the dog licked the sore and healed him (never mind that the dog probably carried the fleas that infected him), so he is invoked against the plague and also is the patron saint of dogs. As an infectious disease epidemiologist and a dog lover, this appealed to me.san roque.jpg

My first reaction was "Nothing but photographs and memories," but after reading all the responses, I took a closer look.

A key fob with a shell on it. That went to my Sprinter van - more travels!

A couple of fridge magnets and patches.

A carved slate kitchen tile with a shell on it.

Two certificates from Fisterra and Muxia.

My certificate of distance (damnit, Jim, I walked 782 km, not 779.5 km).

The two compastelas were for others (In vicare pro), so they wound up elsewhere. Maybe, one day, to return to me.

Other than my certificate of distance, the one thing I brought back and treasure the most are the friends I met along the way. None of the other things I brought back come even close to them in importance to me.

Of the few special things I’ve brought home, my favourite is a tiny “book”, about 1” high that was given to me as a gift along the way during my first camino. When opened, it contains photos of scenes from Santiago de Compostela and carries wonderful memories. Along with my shell, it travels every camino with me.
53A6AE61-192C-4334-A749-03E8B7C5FAA5.jpegCF5F81ED-EDC8-4CFB-B46B-9A9E94283457.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nothing from Santiago (feel I missed out now!) but I was given a hand-made wooden cross by another pilgrim at Eunate, made by his pastor from a felled tree in their church ground - I treasure it - and I keep it in my main first aid bag so it travels with me every visit - oh, and I did pick up a nice case of Lyme's on the Meseta!

Nothing from Santiago (feel I missed out now!) but I was given a hand-made wooden cross by another pilgrim at Eunate, made by his pastor from a felled tree in their church ground - I treasure it - and I keep it in my main first aid bag so it travels with me every visit - oh, and I did pick up a nice case of Lyme's on the Meseta!
I hope you’ve discarded, tossed, lost that Lyme's souvenir!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back