• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What souvenir(s) did you bring back from the Camino?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't generally do souvenirs, as I already have too much to carry. The only things that buy on camino, besides food, are socks and foot care items, as needed. However, I have acquired a few items over the years, most by gift. From my recent camino on the Madrid, a yellow arrow on a pin, given to each of the pilgrims at the dinner at Manzanares with Ray and Rosa. At the end of walking a previous camino, the VdlP, I bought, in the bookstore at San Martin Pinario, a copy of selections from the Codex Calixtinus, mostly the section on the early camino routes from France into Spain, translated into Spanish. I have read most of this, to confirm my bits of information about early conditions on some pilgrim routes from France into Spain. And on an earlier walk on the Frances I paid a brief visit to the pilgrim museum at Castrojeriz and was rewarded with a t-shirt for being the thousandth visitor to the museum. This was my first and worst souvenir, as I did not want to refuse a free t-shirt from this location, and ended up having to carry it to the end of my pilgrimage and home without wearing it: extra weight which, being white, would have been destroyed by the rigors of the camino if I had worn it. Besides these items, there are a few informative handouts from various locations floating around in my apartment, along with Credencials and compostelas from various routes and a Distance Certificate from the VdlP, which I consider to be a real souvenir of an accomplishment (I walked a thousand kilometers!).

Jamón Ibérico in my backpack. I thought customs wasn't watching that day . . .

Oh, and a litre of Spanish brandy, which I enjoyed immensely after they let me out of jail for the ham.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As well as numerous pins, fridge magnets and shells... these are some of my favourite reminders of the Camino...

Attachments

• AAFB5D67-8C5C-4F1E-B708-A03E5F8862B0.jpeg
    AAFB5D67-8C5C-4F1E-B708-A03E5F8862B0.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 90A56C1B-B447-45A1-B196-CF36E08EFE84.jpeg
    90A56C1B-B447-45A1-B196-CF36E08EFE84.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 8177365D-E2A1-4A1A-A863-F2D2A4AA53E1.jpeg
    8177365D-E2A1-4A1A-A863-F2D2A4AA53E1.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 9
  • EAC1DD2E-2AB5-452B-AFB4-C238CDE7545F.jpeg
    EAC1DD2E-2AB5-452B-AFB4-C238CDE7545F.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 8
On our first Camino, I ran into a young girl selling homemade earrings near Obanos. I have two kids who have been young entrepreneurs and so I always feel obligated to buy things from kids. I bought a pair and wore them for the rest of the walk. They started my little Camino souvenir project. I bought a lovely pair of earrings from the Cathedral store that have a bit of the Codex Calixtinus on them. We also collected some beach glass near Fistera that I had made into earrings. On the Camino Primitivo I bought a spectacular pair of macrame and bead earrings from the young a woman who drew a rainbow in our credentials instead of a stamp. I bought a great pair of hammered silver earrings on the Haervejen in Denmark in Jeling, site of the beginning of Danish Christianity. I can’t wait to see what I find this next summer when we walk the Aragones and Frances again. I wear my camino earrings all the time. No one else really knows their significance but I do. I love carrying the Camino with me.

As yet, no one has admitted to bringing a new boy/girl friend back home or a new life partner.
Statistically, that also happens.
I am myself only bringing home to my wife small silver earrings and such like - lighter to carry...

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As yet, no one has admitted to bringing a new boy/girl friend back home or a new life partner.
Statistically, that alsom happens.
I am myself only bringing home small silver earrings and such like - lighter to carry...
When I first read this the line break was between boy/girl and friend so I started out thinking about a new boy or girl as a souvenir of the Camino and hoping that they weren't acquired (as it were) in an albergue dorm. In terms of bringing back a new boyfriend/girlfriend (or non-binary or genderqueer romantic partner) there have been several threads about people finding their life partners on the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I started alone on the Camino for the first time in 2012, a group of seven pilgrims, from seven countries, with six different mother tongues, gradually formed from the beginning.
The last one to join us was Valerie from Belgium. We actually walked all seven of them together for only one day, because the different walking rhythms really didn't fit together. But for Valerie and me the rhythm fit. And so we ran together from Torres del Rio to the end of the world. In the first days with others from our Camino family, then only two of us. We only parted on our very last day, she went to Finisterre, I went to Muxia.

Even though some of our group, and our families back home, were sure that a love story would develop, it did not, but it was wonderful in a completely different way.

When I visited Valerie in Belgium in November, I gave her a small photo book as a present and on the first page I tried to express my gratitude for this great time on the Camino. I don't think it's too private to mention it here.

Dear Valerie,
its almost five months ago, when I prepared my backpack for the way of St. James.
I was a little bit anxious - not about being alone on the Camino, but maybe being lonely sometimes.
Nothing like this happened. But why?
God endowed me so much grace during the whole way and he gave me many little presents and a few great ones also.
His greatest gift were the pilgrims I met on the way, especially you Valerie.
Thank you for walking and talking, singing and praying, laughing and crying, I enjoyed every moment.
Valerie, it was „wunderbar“ beeing on the Camino with you!
Michael

These words best reflect what my greatest souvenir was - the friendship with a group of people from half of Europe, especially Valerie. And this friendship continues. We meet almost every year. In the meantime we have been to the wedding of Valerie in Belgium, Betti in Romania and Luca in Italy. We made a bicycle tour around Lake Balaton in Hungary, went hiking in the Carpathians and the Alps and much more. Now our group has grown by a few babies.

Shortly before the return flight I bought a simple silver ring for myself in Santiago, which I have worn as a remembering of my Camino constantly on my left hand since that day. Most of the Germans wear a wedding ring on their right hand, an engagement ring is worn on the left.

When I went to my parents on the day of my arrival to "re-enlist" and my sister and family were there, everyone was totally surprised that I now wear a ring. They were convinced that Valerie and I got engaged in Santiago:eek:

Valerie coincidentally bought exatly the same ring on her last day in Santiago and experienced the same reaction at home.

The faces of the parents, family and friends - fantastic😂. We laughed a lot when we realized that we both bought the same souvenir.

Last edited:
Aside from the memories and photos I think my most prized souvenir is the passport itself containing every stamp of every place that I visited. But if I were to choose one souvenir that I purchased in Santiago itself it would be this handmade porcelain replica of the tomb of Saint James. I was told at the antique store that it was handmade in a Galicia village nearby.16015476124152592352507307454500.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On our first Camino, I ran into a young girl selling homemade earrings near Obanos. I have two kids who have been young entrepreneurs and so I always feel obligated to buy things from kids. I bought a pair and wore them for the rest of the walk. They started my little Camino souvenir project. I bought a lovely pair of earrings from the Cathedral store that have a bit of the Codex Calixtinus on them. We also collected some beach glass near Fistera that I had made into earrings. On the Camino Primitivo I bought a spectacular pair of macrame and bead earrings from the young a woman who drew a rainbow in our credentials instead of a stamp. I bought a great pair of hammered silver earrings on the Haervejen in Denmark in Jeling, site of the beginning of Danish Christianity. I can’t wait to see what I find this next summer when we walk the Aragones and Frances again. I wear my camino earrings all the time. No one else really knows their significance but I do. I love carrying the Camino with me.
I lost a pair of earrings on the way to Molineseca, either during the walk or at the albergue.
When we walked into Ponferada they were having a big fiesta with a market, so I bought a new pair there.

Aside from the amazing memories, what souvenirs did you bring back from the Camino?
On my first camino I brought back a sword and shield which I had carried for the last 2 weeks of our month long walk. It was for my 3 yr old and he loves the mystique of it to this day.

Attachments

• F465C6ED-1CCA-41BC-8A2A-23BBBF456DB6.jpeg
    F465C6ED-1CCA-41BC-8A2A-23BBBF456DB6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back