• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poll What (thread topics) shall we talk about?

What types of threads would you like to see, while we wait for the chance to walk a Camino?

• Virtual Caminos with a leader and a planning focus - e.g. the current Lana or Invierno threads

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • How to appreciate Spain/Portugal as we walk - e.g. architecture, art, landmarks, nature

Votes: 43 76.8%
  • How to choose footwear, backpacks, sleeping bags, socks

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Anecdotes or memories about specific places or themes

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Quizzes or challenges e.g. Who can identify this...? Who knows where...?

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Book club threads - about Camino-related books

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Information about Amigos groups/associations for different routes

Votes: 14 25.0%

• Total voters

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
It has been about a year since we realized our 2020 Caminos were not to be. Now we are getting the idea that our 2021 Caminos won't happen in the next 6 months and maybe not at all :(.

It sometimes seems that we are running out of things to talk about on the forum, at least if we want to stay Camino-related but avoid Covid, vaccines, lockdowns, and the wisdom/probability of traveling in 2021. Maybe we can get a bit organized and foster some interesting threads.

I've listed some types of threads above - just what I could think of in a few minutes. Which ones do you like best? I'm only letting you choose your top 3, but please 🙏 add ideas in the thread below. Or send me a private Conversation.

Also, don't forget to participate in whatever threads are started! We would really like to keep this community active and positive but still adhering to the Camino theme while we wait out the pandemic.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It has been about a year since we realized our 2020 Caminos were not to be. Now we are getting the idea that our 2021 Caminos won't happen in the next 6 months and maybe not at all :(.

It sometimes seems that we are running out of things to talk about on the forum, at least if we want to stay Camino-related but avoid Covid, vaccines, lockdowns, and the wisdom/probability of traveling in 2021. Maybe we can get a bit organized and foster some interesting threads.

I've listed some types of threads above - just what I could think of in a few minutes. Which ones do you like best? I'm only letting you choose your top 3, but please 🙏 add ideas in the thread below. Or send me a private Conversation.

Also, don't forget to participate in whatever threads are started! We would really like to keep this community active and positive but still adhering to the Camino theme while we wait out the pandemic.
Up at six this morning to start seriously thinking of the way ahead. David Gilgitz's book : The Pilgrimage road to Santiago arrived yesterday and I have read as far as Pamplona over my morning coffee. Seriously hoping for a financial miracle so that I can do a "King Snail" Camino or in other words only 10 kms a day. I could then take the time to really look and absorb the Spain I have been trudging through since 2003, often head down! like it says in the song " If you don't have a dream, how ya gonna make a dream come true"!

Samarkand. :)

I'm hoping my March 2022 Camino might still happen.
No way of knowing of course.
Australian Government is saying they may not allow International Travel till the end of 2021.

Whatever will be, will be.
These things cannot be rushed.

Certainly on my next Camino I want to take more time to look at historical sites......
So learning more about that would be great.

And the local Camino groups. Who they are, how they support Pilgrims etc.
Great to know for the more remote routes.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I'm hoping my March 2022 Camino might still happen.
No way of knowing of course.
Australian Government is saying they may not allow International Travel till the end of 2021.

Whatever will be, will be.
These things cannot be rushed.

Certainly on my next Camino I want to take more time to look at historical sites......
So learning more about that would be great.

And the local Camino groups. Who they are, how they support Pilgrims etc.
Great to know for the more remote routes.
I read the forum daily, and find it fascinating, what I would like to know is about these people who are working away in the background, an example being, who’s repairing the yellow arrows,
Do they come out at night when nobody is about? Simple question

It would be fun to have some kind of interactive map to illustrate the home location of forum members around the world. It would be interesting in itself but one might discover a fellow pilgrim just down the street you didn’t know about. I recall a church in a small town between Logrono and Najera that had a map of the world above its ‘sello table’ that visitors could place a pin in to mark where they were from.....fascinating ! I was the only pin from Newfoundland.

I wonder if we might compile a short ‘Camino basics’ guide - perhaps focussed on the most common initial Camino which I am guessing is the CdF from Sarria or thereabouts?

Something which ‘tells it as it is’ focussed on an inexperienced walker without all the expensive kit and who both doesn’t speak much Spanish or understand what an albergue is.

Tone would be quite important. I once made the mistake of reading a genteel American-authored guide to Naples whilst on the train there. From what I read I was expecting the exit from the train station to be like the scene in Gladiator where the prisoners have to enter the coliseum where a crowd of heavily armed gladiators await them. The reality was that it was not much different to Manchester on an average weekend.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It would be fun to have some kind of interactive map to illustrate the home location of forum members around the world. It would be interesting in itself but one might discover a fellow pilgrim just down the street you didn’t know about. I recall a church in a small town between Logrono and Najera that had a map of the world above its ‘sello table’ that visitors could place a pin in to mark where they were from.....fascinating ! I was the only pin from Newfoundland.
It would help if members would fill in the profile line with at least which country they reside in. That's not too intrusive. It seems that more than half indicate nothing...their perogative.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming!
I wonder if we might compile a short ‘Camino basics’ guide
Good idea! One way to achieve your intent without extra work (i.e. reaching consensus on content, editing, updating regularly) would be to use the tags that have been applied over the past few months. For example:
  • "camino basics" - By clicking on this tag, you are taken to all the threads (newest to oldest) that have been identified with that tag by the OP or a moderator. This gives a selection of real unedited threads that represent some key topics in the words of the forum member, keeping the natural liveliness and diversity that make the forum fun. Edited guides are available many other places.
  • "first camino" - This tag takes you to a very broad collection of threads that include both the wide-eyed innocence of newbies stepping into the unknown, and the words of wisdom from people who describe the lessons from their first camino.
Tags can be applied by the original poster at the start, or later by a moderator. Also, moderators may decide to remove or change them. In a way, these tags provide a curated collection of threads. (But admittedly, the tagging is not very precise or consistent.)

It would be fun to have some kind of interactive map to illustrate the home location of forum members around the world.
This has been discussed before (see this thread and this one). It still might be worth reconsidering, but that would go beyond what I'm thinking about right now - which is focusing on what any of us can do now - to use the existing procedures to create interesting new threads.

There was a coffee shop on the CP, about six miles north of Coimbra, where the barista took pictures of pilgrims and placed a pin in a map on the wall where you were from. It was a great break from walking and a great perspective on the universal appeal of the Caminos.
My second day on the CF, walking from Roncevalles to Larrasoana, I passed two ladies on the trail and asked them where they were from (it was obvious they were Americans, as am I). One of them replied, Seattle. I asked her where in Seattle... we lived less than a mile from each other and had several acquaintances in common. I'd never seen her before and never seen her since.
I agree it would be interesting to know where people on the forum are from... always find that kind of info to be of interest.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Interesting people you've met on the Camino, or the most interesting person you met. I walk almost always go alone and alone, so meeting people along the way is such a treat

I am interested in getting to know more about the forum members who want to share some of themselves and where they live. We all walk (train) somewhere in the vicinity of where we live. What about sharing pictures of our daily “home “ Camino routes? It would be interesting to see different countries.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Up at six this morning to start seriously thinking of the way ahead. David Gilgitz's book : The Pilgrimage road to Santiago arrived yesterday and I have read as far as Pamplona over my morning coffee. Seriously hoping for a financial miracle so that I can do a "King Snail" Camino or in other words only 10 kms a day. I could then take the time to really look and absorb the Spain I have been trudging through since 2003, often head down! like it says in the song " If you don't have a dream, how ya gonna make a dream come true"!

Samarkand. :)
I have the same plan. Being retired with a Norw. pension, it can take as long as needed. I was also thinking of 10 km/day, then explore each place, sit at a table with a glass, reading that same book, The Pilgrimage road to Santiago: The complete cultural handbook, preparing for the next place, and watching pilgrims flowing by :cool:

I have the same plan. Being retired with a Norw. pension, it can take as long as needed. I was also thinking of 10 km/day, then explore each place, sit at a table with a glass, reading that same book, The Pilgrimage road to Santiago: The complete cultural handbook, preparing for the next place, and watching pilgrims flowing by :cool:
Hunkering down in the Norway winter with a good book on pilgrimage and sitting with a "glass" while reading sounds perfect, imo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This forum has a purpose when the Camino's are bustling and currently that's just not the case. The threads are getting a bit long in the tooth and the proposed list is not very inspiring. Perhaps this forum should go to sleep for a while until things are getting normal again? At such time, discussions about preps, albergues, food on the ways, etc will automatically become lively and useful again.
Until then, Ivar's efforts to contribute posts and videos about the current conditions are very informational and an alternative, so would be contributions and blogs by hospis/owners about their views, their situation in their towns, preparations for "the time after", transformations of their albergues, etc., or interviews with locals engaged in the Camino business would be of great interest and an excellent way of bonding with their patrons, why are they so silent? Language a problem? Use deepl.com!

The threads are getting a bit long in the tooth and the proposed list is not very inspiring. Perhaps this forum should go to sleep...
Yes, that has probably occurred to many of us, and inspiration is in short supply these days. I am suggesting some topics that might provide interest to some of us. However, participation is voluntary and everyone is free to take a nap until the pandemic ends 😷 😴

Meanwhile, those members who manage to stay awake are welcome to carry on the discussions! :)

This forum has a purpose when the Camino's are bustling and currently that's just not the case. The threads are getting a bit long in the tooth and the proposed list is not very inspiring. Perhaps this forum should go to sleep for a while until things are getting normal again? At such time, discussions about preps, albergues, food on the ways, etc will automatically become lively and useful again.
Until then, Ivar's efforts to contribute posts and videos about the current conditions are very informational and an alternative, so would be contributions and blogs by hospis/owners about their views, their situation in their towns, preparations for "the time after", transformations of their albergues, etc., or interviews with locals engaged in the Camino business would be of great interest and an excellent way of bonding with their patrons, why are they so silent? Language a problem? Use deepl.com!
Never heard of deepl.com......excellent.

€83,-
Disagree: Nice to keep in touch with my fellow Camino repeat offenders in these times.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back