• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What time do albergues fill up?

jds02006

Hi, I'm a college student planning to do la Vía de la Plata this fall. I'm very fit and wanted to challenge myself with the miles--occasionally I will be taking it easy, but some days I would like to go 20-25 miles at a go. I'm sure I'll be able to do the walking, but I'm somewhat worried about arriving in small towns fairly late (for a pilgrim)--I'd estimate that the latest I'd get in would be around 6. Could a pilgrim arriving in town late like this reasonably expect to find room in (or around--I wouldn't mind sleeping outside) an albergue? If not, what would happen?

I'm just slightly worried that I'll end up walking into a town and have no place to sleep, and will get myself into trouble that way.

Thanks for your advice,
John

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dont worry about the 20 25 mile per day there will be many of them!!! :lol:
If you are to get a bed there will be one there for you the time will not matter. And also remember that it is 1000 km from Sevilla to Santiago so your strategy needs to be to get there rather than being embarrased by the failure caused by injury.
The old clever folk would be steady and calculating. I have found that this was the best strategy and avoided blisters, knee and foot injuries. Good boots the best you can buy, and learn how to lace them correctly as it has a huge difference on comfort.
If you get hot weather with little cloud cover you will have to put on plenty water, weight. Cloud cover substantially reduces your water consumption, as you will not have lost it in perspiration.
I have had many 40 to 45 km days since April 27th and I am now in Ourense today with a short day of 22 km.
John

On my three caminos I noticed that younger pilgrims with fixed schedules and determination to do many kilometres often fell by the wayside with injuries while plodding oldsters strolled by amiably. The Camino can be one of these hare & tortoise places-- pay attention to your body rather than to your schedules. Vanjohn's water advice should be heeded-- the plains in Spain in the afternoon can be hot and arid, and the local police are often quite irked when they have to collect pilgrims failing from heatstroke.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
oursonpolaire said:
On my three caminos I noticed that younger pilgrims with fixed schedules and determination to do many kilometres often fell by the wayside with injuries while plodding oldsters strolled by amiably. The Camino can be one of these hare & tortoise places-- pay attention to your body rather than to your schedules.

I was one of those plodding older tortoises :D
Margaret

Don't worry about timing on the Plata. There are no rush for beds. Only once in my 40 days on the Plata did I encounter not enough beds.

Even for an old tortoise walking on average 4 km an hour, one will still make 32 km in 8 hours. Assuming one starts walking at 7 am in the morning, arrival will be at 3 pm or 5 pm latest (2 additional hours for rest and lunch).

There is something funny about the albergues. People seem to start very early in the morning to be sure to have a place in the refugio. Sometimes they arrive midday and spend the rest of the day waiting for the late night supper. That will be 9 hours of waiting.!!! I walked this april from Sevila to Salamanca. I wouldn't bother to much if i were you, the good thing of walking is to live in the here and now. Carry an inflatable sleepingmat with you and you are as free as a bird. liberté

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi John
My wife and I walked in April this year and saw no rush for albergue beds as reportedly happens on Camino Frances. As a back up there is usually other accommodation available, but costs more. However, it may be a seasonal thing in any given year and 2010 being a Holy Year may see more activity generally. I would expect that you would arrive significantly before 6. The biggest factor in ariving "late" would be availability of hot water in the cooler months. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back