• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What time do most breakfast places open along Camino Frances

Stephanie Martin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino in Sept/Oct/Nov 2022 (via the French route)
Hi all,

Just wondering what time most breakfast places/supermercados open on the Camino Frances? I'll have mostly early starts (6am) as I'm a slow walker. Wondering if places are open then. Also, if I buy food from the supermercado the evening before for storage to the next day, do most albergues have enough fridge capacity for pilgrims, is storage easy? Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is really good question.

This is my experience.

I was usually out the door no later than 0700 and avoided that mad rush of early-early morning pilgrims. I would walk about an hour and then stop at the first cafe I found. I always found one open and ready with a hot "cafe con leche" and a croissant, which soon became, and remains, my go-to breakfast.

My experience was that most pilgrims were anxious to get out of the albergue in the morning and, although some albergues had a table, maybe a small fridge, and a place for pilgrims to eat their own breakfast, most pilgrims just wanted to get out on the road in the morning.

I never felt compelled to buy something for b'fast the day before. I didn't want to have to worry about the weight, refrigeration, food getting "squooshed" in my pack, etc. Often, albergues were burdened with having to toss food brought in by pilgrims the night before and then left behind in the morning.

I always found an enterprising cafe owner who was ready and waiting for that influx of pilgrims at that unGodly hour of the morning, yearning for a hot coffee.

In any big town - usually near the market - somewhere will be open [corrected] at or soon after 0700. Elsewhere it varies.

An option is to get a coffee as soon as you see one then, if you’re walking through populated area act like any good hobbit and go for second breakfast a little later.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All four of our Camino Frances we walked in Sept - Oct. We always took a shower shortly after arriving the day before. Each morning, we promptly got up at 6 am and were ready to begin at 7 am. Some places with private rooms offer breakfast included in the room rate and we gladly had a light breakfast before we walked. For those that did not include breakfast, we sometimes found a cafe that was open so we grabbed something before hiking. Otherwise, we walked for an hour or so, then grabbed breakfast. An exception we willingly made was that some luxury places, such as the paradors, did not serve breakfast until "late" (7:30 or 8:00 am). It was such a sumptuous meal, we gladly enjoyed a hearty meal and grabbed a few items as trail snacks then walked off the large breakfast. Bob

It depends on the town. I do not walk during high camino season. I walk late Oct-December. I start later in the morning usually around 7:30 as there is no heat to worry about. Most of the time there is a place to find coffee on the CF but not always. I imagine if you are walking when there are greater pilgrims there is a greater chance to find a bar. I think most supermarkets open between 8:30 but more likely 9 and 9:30.
Little tiendas will vary. On less traveled caminos it is a different story. Also many bars may only have pan tostada and tortillas. But that should be more than enough to get you going.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There were a few towns that had an open supermercado or restaurant, but they were few and far between. I found that the donativo type albergues (maybe a set price for the stay but donation for food) tend to offer coffee, tea, fruit, maybe a hard-boiled egg and even granola and yogurt to eat or pack up as you leave. I'm not one to eat as soon as I wake up, and while I was there in June, often left by 6 at the latest to beat the heat. With a couple exceptions, most days I would walk between 4-8km and then stop for a cafe con leche and a pastry or Spanish tortilla. Many people I knew did the same and it was always a great opportunity to spend time with the other pilgrims also stopping for coffee and breakfast.

I always found one open and ready with a hot "cafe con leche" and a croissant, which soon became, and remains, my go-to breakfast.
I love it, this will be my go-to breakfast as well. I leave tomorrow for Spain and will start my first Camino, the Frances of course! Thank you for your insights.

I love it, this will be my go-to breakfast as well. I leave tomorrow for Spain and will start my first Camino, the Frances of course! Thank you for your insights.

Don't forget the pan con tomate.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
if you’re walking through populated area act like any good hobbit and go for second breakfast a little later.
Oh, yes - I am good little hobbit and have a second breakfast while watching pilgrims go by ... I am so excited!!! I leave for Spain tomorrow and start my first Camino in early September.

We always took a shower shortly after arriving the day before. Each morning, we promptly got up at 6 am and were ready to begin at 7 am.
I have been doing that at home while training. I leave for Spain tomorrow to do my first Camino, the Frances of course! I like your suggestion to walk for about an hour and stopping at a cafe to have a cafe con leche before proceeding. I am so excited!!! Thank you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well to be honest I only saw pan con tomate served as a breakfast.
It is not like an italian bruschetta.
I know ... I used to make it for my breakfast in my native Chile

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all,

Just wondering what time most breakfast places/supermercados open on the Camino Frances? I'll have mostly early starts (6am) as I'm a slow walker. Wondering if places are open then. Also, if I buy food from the supermercado the evening before for storage to the next day, do most albergues have enough fridge capacity for pilgrims, is storage easy? Thank you!
Like you, I like to get an early start, and in 8 Caminos I have found it rare for cafes and bars to be open prior to 0700. I typically do not stop at the end of "stage" towns. One might walk an hour or 3 before finding an open cafe. Therefore, I usually take a ziploc bag to my pilgrim meal the night before and fill it with 3-4 slices of bread rather than eat it for supper. I also buy a box of granola bars every couple days so there is always a snack in the pack.

Hi all,

I live in Spain, in Madrid, and I've walked a couple of Caminos. Bar/Cafeteria morning opening times will vary according to location and day of the week. In general, most would open about 8am, although in larger towns you might find some that open at 7am or 7.30am. In my experience, I've never seen or heard of any that open before 7am. Some albergues might have coffee making facilities and a small kitchen with breakfast. There are also some strategically placed vending machines for drinks and snacks. In smaller towns, the bakers (panaderia) might be open around 7.30 and some do take-away coffee.
If you don't find anything open when you set off, then get a comfortable 8-10km in and you'll be ripe for a pitstop and coffee/breakfast break when all is open.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Many questions can be answered by looking through the many vlogs posted on Youtube by Efrén Gonzalez. He is not only a Peregrino with experience on the Caminos of Spain but many hikes around the world.
Look up his channel and you will find a lot of important information on the Camino Frances including what to look for, what to buy and when after starting out in the morning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just wondering what time most breakfast places/supermercados open on the Camino Frances?
As others have suggested, the hours are not predictable. While the infrastructure on the Frances is plentiful enough for safety and general well-being, the experience has (fortunately) not been totally homogenized. Every town is not equipped with an identical pilgrim care station. If you get sick or injured, help will be along soon. However, if you are just in need of a 6 a.m. coffee or snack, you might be deprived occasionally. It would be very difficult (and not so much fun, in my mind) to program in advance every meal and event along the way.

As others have suggested, the hours are not predictable. While the infrastructure on the Frances is plentiful enough for safety and general well-being, the experience has (fortunately) not been totally homogenized. Every town is not equipped with an identical pilgrim care station. If you get sick or injured, help will be along soon. However, if you are just in need of a 6 a.m. coffee or snack, you might be deprived occasionally. It would be very difficult (and not so much fun, in my mind) to program in advance every meal and event along the way.
Understandably - thank you. I leave tomorrow for Spain and will be taking a few sachets of instant coffee before leaving the albergue for those cold mornings 😋

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am so very excited for you!! Have a wonderful time, don't hesitate to connect to this forum along the way if you have any questions, problems, etc.
This adventure is going to be amazing!!
Buen Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Understandably - thank you. I leave tomorrow for Spain and will be taking a few sachets of instant coffee before leaving the albergue for those cold mornings 😋
Welcome.

I find that early coffee tends to encourage my bowels to move and so I look for somewhere where it is easy to hang around for awhile if I have an early coffee so that I don't add to the pollution along the side of the Camino.

I don't advise instant coffee just before you leave and real coffee tastes better, see https://www.macpac.co.nz/aeropress-coffee-maker/115847-NON00-OS.html

In terms of your original question, in general I enjoyed Madrid and would love to get to know it better, especially where to buy a decent coffee at 6am. I must be spoiled where I live but I was amazed that I was unable to find early morning coffee in central Madrid despite my best efforts with Google Maps and in person.

Further along the Camino it was very hit or miss and because of the toileting situation I tended to avoid quick stops for coffee when it was available.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh, yes - I am good little hobbit and have a second breakfast while watching pilgrims go by ... I am so excited!!! I leave for Spain tomorrow and start my first Camino in early September.

It's amazing how many meals can fit into a Pilgrim's day on the CF, without really having to try that hard :):)

You won't go hungry....... :cool:

It's amazing how many meals can fit into a Pilgrim's day on the CF, without really having to try that hard :):)

Great to hear it☺️

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

IMHO they ALL are breakfasts (just keep on increasing the number) until you get to 7:00pm - then its a dinner ;)
My fave would be somewhere around Desayuno Numero Quatro :D🥐🥖🥙🥑

Like Doughnut, I want some coffee before I leave the albergue for the same reason, so I looked for those that offered breakfast or at least had a coffee machine, so that I could use their WC before leaving.
A lot of medium sized towns had bars or cafes that opened at 6-06:30 or 07:00.
We also found on a number of occasions that we had to walk for a couple of hours before we found a place that was open, which wasn't fun. This was not the case on earlier Caminos, but it was this past spring. A lot of places have closed down, or they were not going to open until May and we started walking mid April.

We also found on a number of occasions that we had to walk for a couple of hours before we found a place that was open, which wasn't fun.
Maybe not fun at the time - I've been there, done that! But it is fun to talk about it afterwards. I am happy if it happens once or twice on every Camino, just to remind me of what an intrepid adventurer I am. 😂 🤣

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In the larger towns there are sometimes cafes open by 7am…and less frequently by 6:30am. More cafes are open by 8am. Some bars on certain routes like the Invierno don’t open until 11:00am or even noon.

We are morning people an usually leave between 5-6am (from a private room) so we eat cereal, fruit,nuts juice and tea or coffee in our room before we walk. Then we stop around 8am or later…if we can find something open.

Unless we are doing a short day, or a rest day, we never eat breakfast at our accommodation. Not optimal for us.

Last edited:
Nahhh, after all it's 5 o'clock ... somewhere!!!
I’m excited for you too. For me, one of the joys of the Camino is you really don’t know what’s around the next corner, so finding a welcome looking cafe that’s open early on is a treat.. Dive in grab a cafe and toastada… every day is different. Sometimes you'll see a cafe close by, other days you might have to walk an hour or so. Also look out for local bakeries as these are often open very early. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all,

In the bigger cities there was no problem, but most other places things weren’t open until about 8 o’clock when I was there in April and May of this year.

I usually had a piece of fruit and a store-bought pastry that I purchased the night before so I would have something when I woke up. Usually there wasn’t a refrigerator available in my experience.

I also had a heating coil and some instant coffee. I would usually make myself this early in the morning, even if they offered a breakfast. It was usually five euros and all it would be was a cup of coffee and a piece of toast or something similar.

You would usually get a much better meal at a café for a similar price. And that’s what I would do later in the morning.

Hi all,

We start out at about 6. By 8, we find they are open.

On Camino, I am always up at 5.30 and leave the albergue at 6.00. I have no problem walking an hour or two before finding a bar open for breakfast. Only twice have I had breakfast at the albergue I stayed at. Once at Castrojeriz at the San Esteban Muni because the breakfast was early and I really liked the guy who ran the place. The second time was at Leon at the St. Maria de Carbajal , and I wished I hadn't.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back