• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What time does SJPP sleep?

angie villanueva

rgmilktea
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 1-Oct 3 (2015)
Hello Everyone!

Going on my 1st Camino (so excited!) . Arriving on Aug 31 at SJPP around 7:24 PM (on the 6:08 PM train from Bayonne). Will I have enough time to go to the Pilgrim's office, send my excess gear to Roncesvalles and get last minute stuff (walking sticks, guidebook and Spanish sim card), have dinner, etc before everything closes down for the night?

Thank you.

Angie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pilgrim Office at 39 rue de La Citadelle closes about 23:00 in season. How are you planning to send your bag to Roncesvalles? Express Bourricot would be a good choice but must be arranged in advance. Generally shops will close 19:00. For pilgrim supplies contact Direction Composteĺle in advance.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
Pilgrim Office at 39 rue de La Citadelle closes about 23:00 in season. How are you planning to send your bag to Roncesvalles? Express Bourcitot would be a good choice but must be arranged in advance. Generally shops will close 19:00. For pilgrim supplies contact Direction Composteĺle in advance.

Buen camino!
Thanks so much. Yes, planning to send through them. Sent them mail yesterday but no response. I'll follow up tomorrow.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can probably do all of the above except sending your stuff ahead unless you mean Jacotrans and buying a Spanish Simcard. There will be no Spanish Simcards available in France until you get to Pamplona and the French Poste closes around 5pm..

You can probably do all of the above except sending your stuff ahead unless you mean Jacotrans and buying a Spanish Simcard. There will be no Spanish Simcards available in France until you get to Pamplona and the French Poste closes around 5pm..
Thanks very much. Yes, we'll use either Jacotrans or Express Bouricot.

Is there a post office near the drop off points in Roncesvalles for these 2 companies or do we have to carry our things around until Pamplona as well?

As for the sim card, Pamplona it is!

Hi Angie, it is exciting isn't it? Still gets me, every time. Yes, SJPP at this time of the year is open late. But you won't be able to buy a Spanish sim in SJPDP - it is still France - you will have to wait until you are over the border into Spain and probably not until Pamplona. It is the first reasonable sized town with shops.

There is at least one good hiking shop in SJPDP - for your poles and guidebook - and I'm sure one of the other forum members will respond with information about opening hours.

Excess gear can be sent by bag carrier - you should not have problems arranging that. Ask at your albergue or the Pilgrims office if necessary.

I always spend a day in SJPDP because it is such a lovely town - but can understand the desire to get started walking. Come back for your second camino (you will!) and enjoy it then.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jacotran transports from albergue to albegue. There is an envelope you fill out with your destination and leave 7 euros in. Never a problem.

Jacotrans is never a problem from Roncesvalles onward. They do not transport from SJPdP to Roncesvalles.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello Everyone!

Going on my 1st Camino (so excited!) . Arriving on Aug 31 at SJPP around 7:24 PM (on the 6:08 PM train from Bayonne). Will I have enough time to go to the Pilgrim's office, send my excess gear to Roncesvalles and get last minute stuff (walking sticks, guidebook and Spanish sim card), have dinner, etc before everything closes down for the night?

Thank you.

Angie

Hi Angie, the albergue I stayed at, the first time in St Jean Pied de Port, locked the front door at 10pm on the dot. A friend got back at 10:05, and we had a good laugh from the top floor window, offering to toss his sleeping bag out the window to him! The hospitalero did come along and let him in, but we learnt lesson number one on day one: get back to the albergue by 10pm or you will be locked out! Buen camino, I am sure you will have a wonderful time! Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back