• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

what time does the Pilgrim Office close in January?

naylorguys

I'm in the manic phase of organisation: kit finally bought, boots on to walk in, tickets through from Sydney to Bayonne checked, yep half hour to get last train to SJpp and my son who is walking with me well fed and watered as he starts this week his final High School exams. We arrive in SJpp 7.30pm on 8th January so can anyone advise can we get to the pilgrims office before it closes or what time does it open on the 9th?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Legend has it that the pilgrim office will at least be open until the last pilgrim has made it up the hill from the last Bayonne train. Their website is probably a more reliable source than legend but i would not be overly concerned if it was me getting of that train. You will not need but may well wish to book yourselves some beds for the nights.

Legend has it that the pilgrim office will at least be open until the last pilgrim has made it up the hill from the last Bayonne train. Their website is probably a more reliable source than legend but i would not be overly concerned if it was me getting of that train. You will not need but may well wish to book yourselves some beds for the nights.

You should take Tincatinker's advice about booking beds for the night. Many of the traditional places that are recommended are closed in the winter and do not reopen until mid-March.
It may be a good idea to have an idea where you will stay that 1st night.

BTW....if you have a iPhone 5...I have a Spanish SIM card with decent credit on it that you can have if you can use it. Still time for me to post it to you in OZ.
The iPhone5 uses the smallest SIM. Your phone would have to be unlocked as I think all phones in Australia are.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for advice. Will do on accommodation. Regards

You should take Tincatinker's advice about booking beds for the night. Many of the traditional places that are recommended are closed in the winter and do not reopen until mid-March.
It may be a good idea to have an idea where you will stay that 1st night.

BTW....if you have a iPhone 5...I have a Spanish SIM card with decent credit on it that you can have if you can use it. Still time for me to post it to you in OZ.
The iPhone5 uses the smallest SIM. Your phone would have to be unlocked as I think all phones in Australia are.
Thanks for reply. Yes we have had a quick reply from Le Chemin vers l'Etoile so all is good for that first night. Ref phone. Thanks but ive a samsung s4. The thought is much appreciated. Please pass on my thanks to all who manage this forum. Its a crucial part of my preparation and has given me the confidence to make the decision to walk the camino. Regards

grayland said:

That is such a lovely gesture, Grayland! I love seeing such camaraderie in things Camino related :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I contacted the pilgrim's office and was told that they always wait on the last train for any pilgrim's arriving (seems that's not only a legend after all!). So you don't really need to book anything, at least not in low season. We'll arrive at SJPdP January 31st ;)

I contacted the pilgrim's office and was told that they always wait on the last train for any pilgrim's arriving (seems that's not only a legend after all!). So you don't really need to book anything, at least not in low season. We'll arrive at SJPdP January 31st ;)
Thats great news thanks.

Hello naylorguys and mentesimples,

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you all will have an enjoyable caminos. Just keep warm and listen to the advice of the locals.

Buen camino and god bless.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back