• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What time is breakfast?

DaveO

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 1st May 2022
I’m planning some early starts and wondered what time breakfast was usually available in the albergues? Presume it varies a bit but is there a general rule? Don’t want to pay for it and get up early to find it’s not available…

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Totally depends on where you are staying but generally you might find a carafe of coffee brewed the night before and some bready kind of stuff wrapped in plastic earlier than 6am or maybe some of yesterday's bread with jam and butter and a way to brew your own coffee before 7am. I generally grab a cuppa and move on for an hour or so and stop around 9 to 10 at a cafe for a "real" breakfast of cafe con leche, heurvos fritos, bacon and fresh bread.

I’m planning some early starts and wondered what time breakfast was usually available in the albergues? Presume it varies a bit but is there a general rule? Don’t want to pay for it and get up early to find it’s not available…
Some leave stuff out and you make your own when you feel like it, others serve at a specific time. I found those were never served earlier than 7am as a rule.
One albergue was putting out the breakfast (shrink wrapped bread slices) on to the tables straight after the evening meal.
However I chose to have an albergue breakfast only twice in three caminos. There's usually a cafe an hour or so down the road with better coffee and nicer food.
Its worth looking for bakeries open early too. Once when we walked out the door we saw a bakery open just down the road, and our grandson bought 2 hot chocolate pastries just out of the oven. For him it was a highlight of the day. Often by the time you arrive in the afternoon, all the best pastries are gone.

Last edited:
As others have said, it varies. Earliest in my experience over the CF and CI was six, latest wasn't until eight. If you are in an albergue, if you get more than coffee and toast, be pleasantly surprized.

Earliest open cafes for second breakfast also varied quite a lot. Leaving Pamplona, there was cafe open quite early for Spanish workers, maybe around six. Later, some opened around 8:30, but I wasn't taking too much note generally because I would want to get at least an hour of walking in before thinking about second breakfast.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Totally depends on where you are staying but generally you might find a carafe of coffee brewed the night before and some bready kind of stuff wrapped in plastic earlier than 6am or maybe some of yesterday's bread with jam and butter and a way to brew your own coffee before 7am. I generally grab a cuppa and move on for an hour or so and stop around 9 to 10 at a cafe for a "real" breakfast of cafe con leche, heurvos fritos, bacon and fresh bread.
Not fair! When I am volunteering, I always get up and make fresh coffee, hot toast, etc. Usually ready in summer no later than 6:30 and winter no later than 7 am. Jam, real butter, Nutella, coffee, tea, juice, sometimes homemade hummus, sometimes fruit, cereal and milk. Come see me this summer at Canfranc in late July.

Edit: Some benefit to a hospitalera/pilgrim that gets up at 5:30!

Not fair! When I am volunteering, I always get up and make fresh coffee, hot toast, etc. Usually ready in summer no later than 6:30 and winter no later than 7 am. Jam, real butter, Nutella, coffee, tea, juice, sometimes homemade hummus, sometimes fruit, cereal and milk. Come see me this summer at Canfranc in late July.

I did the same thing working with Oliver at San Anton every morning but I would say that is the exception not the rule. I can't wait to come visit Canfranc.

Some leave stuff out and you make your own when you feel like it, others serve at a specific time. I found those were never served earlier than 7am as a rule.
One albergue was putting out the breakfast (shrink wrapped bread slices) on to the tables straight after the evening meal.
However I chose to have an albergue breakfast only twice in three caminos. There's usually a cafe an hour or so down the road with better coffee and nicer food.
Its worth looking for bakeries open early too. Once when we walked out the door we saw a bakery open just down the road, and our grandson bought 2 hot chocolate pastries just out of the oven. For him it was a highlight of the day. Often by the time you arrive in the afternoon, all the best pasties are gone.
I remember walking out of Pamplona early one morning and finding a pastry shop just opening with fresh bread and pain au chocolat, it made my day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
To answer your question, no there isn’t a general rule other than breakfast in Spain tends to be light. It’s definitely worthwhile to ask questions before committing payment for breakfast.

I need some fuel before walking, so usually I have some supplies on hand - fruit, both fresh and dried are readily available, nuts, trail bars (I start out with a few favorites brought from home and replacements can be found but often are sugary), and yogurt (often served as a desert with a pilgrim’s menu and I save it for the morning). The coffee in the vending machines isn’t great, but not nearly as horrible as the stuff in from machines in the US. That will suffice until a bar is open and I can have a second breakfast. Finding an open bakery is wonderful.

Currently on trail. I’ve been given a “takeaway” breakfast several times. These are made the evening before. Juice. Fruit. Bread. Etc. I’ve also seen more than one albergue setting out breakfast immediately after dinner. Usually 7am at the places that want you gone by 8am. If it’s a hotel/pension that doesn’t exclusively cater to pilgrims it might be out till 9:30 but doesn’t start earlier than 7. If I can’t see what’s included in the buffet ahead of time I don’t pay for it anymore, mostly because I’m looking for protein. Every time I have access to a fridge I just buy breakfast the evening before.

I wish I could say I’m finding cafes open before 9, but it’s the exception rather than the rule, so far. I’ve left more than once thinking “I’ll eat at the next town in 6 km” and ended up having to go to the town after that, 2 hours down the trail. Ymmv

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Currently on trail. I’ve been given a “takeaway” breakfast several times. These are made the evening before. Juice. Fruit. Bread. Etc. I’ve also seen more than one albergue setting out breakfast immediately after dinner. Usually 7am at the places that want you gone by 8am. If it’s a hotel/pension that doesn’t exclusively cater to pilgrims it might be out till 9:30 but doesn’t start earlier than 7. If I can’t see what’s included in the buffet ahead of time I don’t pay for it anymore, mostly because I’m looking for protein. Every time I have access to a fridge I just buy breakfast the evening before.

I wish I could say I’m finding cafes open before 9, but it’s the exception rather than the rule, so far. I’ve left more than once thinking “I’ll eat at the next town in 6 km” and ended up having to go to the town after that, 2 hours down the trail. Ymmv
I remember the last time accidentally walking on some variente trails, and bypassing the planned breakfast village altogether.

Thanks for the update! This is what I experienced this past summer as well. And disappointed that some bars/cafes are still not opening before 9. I had a hard time with this last summer. I can't bring myself to eat first thing in the morning and walking in the next town is ideal for me - but I quite often couldn't find a place open before 9. But I noticed that you said it is the "exception rather than the rule" - so perhaps it is better than it was during the summer - that gives me hope! Still - I found I had to always carry a little food in my pack every day because I never knew how long it would take me to find my first meal of the day!

If you want to eat early, buy food in a store the night before if you are staying in a town. we often buy small bottles of OJ, yogurt, add granolabefore we start. It varies, sometimes it’s a couple of packets of butter or olive oil and fresh bakery bread, or a couple of sweet danish type rolls. We also make oatmeal packets and use boiling water which we also make for tea and coffee. Spring and Fall we are out early…never later than 6am and you will rarely find anything open then.

Once we waited for breakfast at Orisson, and I regretted it the whole day! We did not get started until past 8 am and it was already hot! We wound up walking in immense heat with total sun exposure. Never again would I do that for a glass of juice, coffee and a piece of toast.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Breakfast -- the best thing about the Camino Portuguese. We found the bakeries opened at 6a and had wonderful coffee. Check out this article I read in 2018 on the plane to Portugal.

We found a lot of 'savory' pastries with meat stuffing as well.

Pastries to eat before you die....

You and your breakfasts sound amazing! Where is Canfranc?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I didn’t wait for breakfast unless there were exceptional circumstances because it was generally and underwhelming meal. I took some biscuits and fruit and walked for an hour and then stopped for a good cup of coffee and something to eat in one of the pubs.

You be better off getting breakfast at many of the bakeries en route or buy something the night before as some Alberques don't do breakfast before 7 best ask them when you check in I have my neacafe 3in1 sachets so I have a cuppa before I leave then pick up another along with a pastry when leaving town

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If breakfast is to be guaranteed, the option I have not seen offered so far is to buy it the day / night before and pack it. I have a tupperware container, (usually sits on top of my pack), secure but accessible, that I pack with baked goods, a baguette, meat, cheese, fruit...anything I need for a meal or two and maybe even juice.

This allows me to start walking as early as I wish without concern for when / where breakfast will come. But when a chance for Second Breakfast happens, the day may really begin. Then elevensies, and lunch, second lunch, tea, second tea and supper...with snacks as needed dispersed throughout the day. 😜

I don't think that I ever stayed at an Albergue where breakfast was available. Get on the road, walk a few kilometres and find a nice bar for a boccadillo or slice of potato tortilla. Lovely!

On the Aragones, but I will only be there 2 weeks. You will have to take your chances with other volunteers who are serving at other times.
I told Reb that I would volunteer for a no- show hospi. You have the resources there to do a morning tortilla, that would be fun.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Rarely before seven am.

I don't remember very many albergues having breakfast at all...did I miss the memo??? Personally I'm a fast walker and a late riser, so I usually don't have the problem of arriving anywhere before bars open, but like someone else said, I'm a big fan of having a bit of yesterday's bocadillo good to go in my pack the next morning just in case.

As I recall, it's really just the first couple of days on the Frances (and then a few sporadic days here and there) where you need to lean on albergue food or coffee before you can switch to finding your own along the way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found adding a bocadillo to my bag the night before worked as well. At times they will give you a sack lunch the night before depending on where you stay. Have fun.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My practice is always to rise at 6:00 am, and be walking not later than 7:00 am. If there was something to eat, I would have it. Warm coffee is always welcome. I like to shower in the morning, to wake up fully so that is why I allow an hour to get started.

To ensure that I get going, I also make a coffee single in a .5 liter water bottle using hot tap water. It is just enough to start my engine and get me up the road to the first open cafe that has real coffee. You can bring some single serving tubes or packets of coffee from home, or buy them in supermarkets along the way.

Hope this helps.

Tom

On the CF, there are places to get breakfast, especially between Sarria AND SdC after 7am for breakfast.

I told Reb that I would volunteer for a no- show hospi. You have the resources there to do a morning tortilla, that would be fun.
Would be a good idea. I am not a tortilla wiz, but can practice a little before I leave home. Might have to make it the night before so it is ready for early walkers? Do you think it would increase donations? Donativos do run on a thin margin...

Its worth looking for bakeries open early too. Once when we walked out the door we saw a bakery open just down the road, and our grandson bought 2 hot chocolate pastries just out of the oven. For him it was a highlight of the day. Often by the time you arrive in the afternoon, all the best pastries are gone.
Your bakery story brings back memories. When I spent a semester in Rome, we found a bakery in Trastevere and would go there in the very wee hours of the morning on Saturdays and Sundays to get piping hot cornettos. I'll have to be guided by scent come May when I start my next Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Breakfast -- the best thing about the Camino Portuguese. We found the bakeries opened at 6a and had wonderful coffee. Check out this article I read in 2018 on the plane to Portugal.

We found a lot of 'savory' pastries with meat stuffing as well.

Pastries to eat before you die....

The best camino for food. My Portuguese camino was powered by nata.

And tortilla
😋

I liked to get up early and walk for an hour or so before breakfast. Maybe a coffee now and then to start, if available, but breakfast later.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We never ate at our accommodation. For us the conclusion was that Spain is just not an early rising country! That being said we would always find a great breakfast spot somewhere every morning. One of our long running Camino jokes…don’t ask the locals for breakfast suggestions…most of them have not been up that early!

Thank you! And God bless you 😇🥰

Some private albergues will have it ready for you at your desired time.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back