• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What time is mass in Roncesvalles?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I read through an incredibly long thread about Roncesvalles - all the good and the bad - and many mentioned attending mass. But no one mentioned what time mass is. I also read a thread that was created to specifically answer this question, but again no one actually posted the time. Anways, that thread was from 2015 so not sure if things have changed since then.

I've booked my bed and dinner. When booking I had the option of choosing the early or later time for dinner. I chose the earlier 7pm dinner.

I'm a completely lapsed Catholic, meaning I don't participate in the religion any longer, however I went to Catholic schools, attended Sunday mass when I was a kid. I'd love to attend some services along the CF, starting with the one in Roncesvalles. Hopefully my pre-booked dinner isn't going to cause me to miss it?

And while I've got your ear, what is that mass like? Is there a choir or music of any sort? Is it an old and picturesque church? Do they give out communion? What's this "pilgrim blessing" I've heard about? Is that a thing in Roncesvalles?

Thanks for answering these basic questions.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was there a month ago. Only two walking pilgrims actually attended the mass. It was at 8pm - which was just about right after the 7pm pilgrim dinner.

No idea when you will be there so things may change. My experience was that two priests of the Colegiata concelebrated a said mass for a congregation of 6. No choir. No music. Even in peak season I would not expect either. At the end of the mass the pilgrims were invited to come to the sanctuary step for a blessing.

After the mass the senior priest invited the two pilgrims - myself included - for a a short guided tour of the church. Although this was my 4th visit to Roncesvalles I had not known about the 12th/13th century crypt below the altar and its extraordinary painted decoration. Astounding! Do visit if you have the chance. Roncesvalles has been welcoming pilgrims for centuries. Like the hospice on the Grand Saint Bernard pass between Switzerland and Italy. Do not let the chance to be part of a centuries-old tradition pass by.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was there a month ago. Only two walking pilgrims actually attended the mass. It was at 8pm - which was just about right after the 7pm pilgrim dinner.
@JustJack I believe from another thread that you are starting in mid May. Expect many more at Roncesvalles than when Bradypus was there. They don’t all attend the blessing but it would be a highlight.
And while I've got your ear, what is that mass like? Is there a choir or music of any sort? Is it an old and picturesque church? Do they give out communion? What's this "pilgrim blessing" I've heard about? Is that a thing in Roncesvalles?
I am not a Catholic but attending some of the services along the way when possible I’ve found very welcoming. Although I’m definitely not the one to report or advise on this - there are blessings on many of the routes (though not guaranteed / depends when you are there. ) On Vdlp in 2019, I was fortunate to be there for one by Father Blas in Fuenterroble de Salvatierra. There was a bus group of pilgrims from Scandinavia and they sang something beautiful in their language.
In 2022 beginning the Camino de Mozárabe; my hospitalera took me to the mass in Almería where she spoke to the priest to make him aware that there was a pilgrim at the mass. 🙏❤️
Even if you don’t get to the times of mass - (often the Hospitalero/as at the albergues will show you the mass times in their village ) but when this is not possible -if you are walking past a church and are lucky enough to find the door open …. You are always welcome to enter and sit/pray….meditate … look around .. Sometimes you’ll find someone inside to answer questions and maybe you’ll be able to get a sello (stamp) for your credencial .
To me these are all special waymarks along the way - time well spent. Calming. Time of gratitude that we are here.

Buen camino. ❤️❤️

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
During past years in fair weather and foul at the end of the first day of each camino it was a pleasure to arrive at the monastery and attend in the ancient Romanesque church the evening blessing.
If you choose to attend you will remember it always.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks everyone. Glad to know I won't miss the mass due to dinner, and I'm really looking forward to the entire experience. As many others have said, I feel like this will really help set the tone for the weeks ahead. And the potential for a blessing from a Spanish priest?! Wow.

For Europeans the notion of cathedrals that are hundreds of years old might be no big deal, as they seem to be everywhere. But here in Canada (especially the west coast) where everything is relatively new, with only a short history behind it, the idea of sitting in an ancient cathedral gives me chills (in a good way). I lived in England and travelled Europe for a few years during my early 20s, so I've had a chance to experience this, but that was a long time ago, and frankly I was just a dumb kid back then who didn't truly appreciate what I was witnessing. This time I'll have the correct mindset to give the experience the appreciation it deserves.

No idea when you will be there so things may change. My experience was that two priests of the Colegiata concelebrated a said mass for a congregation of 6. No choir. No music. Even in peak season I would not expect either. At the end of the mass the pilgrims were invited to come to the sanctuary step for a blessing.

After the mass the senior priest invited the two pilgrims - myself included - for a a short guided tour of the church. Although this was my 4th visit to Roncesvalles I had not known about the 12th/13th century crypt below the altar and its extraordinary painted decoration. Astounding! Do visit if you have the chance. Roncesvalles has been welcoming pilgrims for centuries. Like the hospice on the Grand Saint Bernard pass between Switzerland and Italy. Do not let the chance to be part of a centuries-old tradition pass by.
What a nice experience were you having! I hope they still do that on April 5th. One more question: was it cold at night in the Roncevalles albergue. Do they provide blankets? I would like to take only my summer sleeping bag and silk liner and hope that will do. I am a cold sleeper so I might put hot water in my water bottle if hot water is available! Buen Camino

One more question: was it cold at night in the Roncevalles albergue. Do they provide blankets?
I was in the winter albergue. I can't remember if there were blankets. It was very warm. But in April I expect you will be in the main albergue. I have no idea if they will be providing blankets this year. Some albergues have stopped doing so for hygiene reasons.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What a nice experience were you having! I hope they still do that on April 5th. One more question: was it cold at night in the Roncevalles albergue. Do they provide blankets? I would like to take only my summer sleeping bag and silk liner and hope that will do. I am a cold sleeper so I might put hot water in my water bottle if hot water is available! Buen Camino
Hi Moniq, I was at the Roncessvalles alberque in May 2022. They did provide blankets. Hot water is available. Unless there is something unforeseen, there is always an 8pm Mass. Buen Camino!

In Leon there is a Peregrino blessing after the evening Mass that is very moving at La Basilica de San Isidro, there is also a Pilgrim blessing at the Albergue de Peregrinos del monasterio de las Benedictinas aka, las Carbajalas, in Leon.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In 2015, we attended the mass and blessing in Roncesvalles after dinner. I was invited to come forward and do the first reading of the mass. I believe they asked other pilgrims to do readings in their languages as acknowledgement of the global community present. This made the mass especially memorable for me.
Also in 2015, a young woman led pilgrims from the albergue on a tour of the church in the late afternoon., and she charged a nominal fee.

In 2015, we attended the mass and blessing in Roncesvalles after dinner. I was invited to come forward and do the first reading of the mass. I believe they asked other pilgrims to do readings in their languages as acknowledgement of the global community present. This made the mass especially memorable for me.
Also in 2015, a young woman led pilgrims from the albergue on a tour of the church in the late afternoon., and she charged a nominal fee.
What a beautiful story!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I read through an incredibly long thread about Roncesvalles - all the good and the bad - and many mentioned attending mass. But no one mentioned what time mass is. I also read a thread that was created to specifically answer this question, but again no one actually posted the time. Anways, that thread was from 2015 so not sure if things have changed since then.

I've booked my bed and dinner. When booking I had the option of choosing the early or later time for dinner. I chose the earlier 7pm dinner.

I'm a completely lapsed Catholic, meaning I don't participate in the religion any longer, however I went to Catholic schools, attended Sunday mass when I was a kid. I'd love to attend some services along the CF, starting with the one in Roncesvalles. Hopefully my pre-booked dinner isn't going to cause me to miss it?

Thanks for answering these basic questions.
I went last year middle of March at 8pm. It was a beautiful service.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de PerdĂłn has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back