• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What time of year do people do their planning?

BrienC

Author of Camino Child
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Francés, VDLP, Norte
2022: Portuguese
I'm assuming that Spring is the high season for most non-Spanish pilgrims. But my question is when do these people do their planning, what time of year, how early or late leading up to their Camino?

Thanks Much,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Actually the statistics show September is a very busy month, you can see that on the statistics on the bottom right hand side of this page. I found it much busier than spring.
As for planning, I dont know many actual (as opposed to online pilgrims), but the planning can take years, or very little. For me not much, for others a year or more.
My planning consisted of working out what to bring, and working out how to get to SJPDP, others plan everything.
I think it depends on your comfort level for winging it.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not a day goes by that I am not looking online or thinking about my next long walk.
I usually buy plane tickets about 6 months out, then “wing it” once I get to Spain.

About an hour before my train left, that was my preparation time for my last camino..
For the other longer ones, about 3 or 4 months before. It never works out the way you planned it so I just don't see the point.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Actually the statistics show September is a very busy month, you can see that on the statistics on the bottom right hand side of this page. I found it much busier than spring.
As for planning, I dont know many actual (as opposed to online pilgrims), but the planning can take years, or very little. For me not much, for others a year or more.
My planning consisted of working out what to bring, and working out how to get to SJPDP, others plan everything.
I think it depends on your comfort level for winging it.
I prefer the fall myself.

Not a day goes by that I am not looking online or thinking about my next long walk.
I usually buy plane tickets about 6 months out, then “wing it” once I get to Spain.
I'm always recommending the "wing it" approach, but it seems that many people are too scared to do that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
About an hour before my train left, that was my preparation time for my last camino..
For the other longer ones, about 3 or 4 months before. It never works out the way you planned it so I just don't see the point.
I used to be a project manager. We had this saying, "Plan, plan, plan, and then throw it out the window the first day of the project—'cause nothing goes according to plan." So, now I do as little planning as I have to. I was just asking in general, as a curiosity more than anything.

I'm assuming that Spring is the high season for most non-Spanish pilgrims. But my question is when do these people do their planning, what time of year, how early or late leading up to their Camino?

Thanks Much,

It's a very important DAILY task if you are serious about walking the Camino! :eek:

Jeez, you don't seem to be taking this seriously at all. It's almost like you think you'll spend a couple of evenings at the dining table and have your planning done and dusted! You'll just head on over there and start walking and it will just fall into place and life will be beautiful.

There are SO many things to plan, it's a never ending task.

Where will you start?
How many kms per day do you plan to walk
What type of accommodation you'll use
Pondering over the route and looking at places you might like visit along the way
Endlessly reading this forum and blog posts, to find out if that font is still working or where the best lunch in that village of if that albergue has a washing machine

It's endless!

And clothing and equipment!
What the best footwear, poncho, do I need Poles........

These are all things to be constantly reviewed, refined, discussed..........

When to do your planning??

Man it's almost a full time job in itself!! :oops::oops:

And then of course when you get there, finally, and you start walking.

Plan? What Plan?

It all goes out the window anyway.

But it passes the time between Caminos ;);)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used to be a project manager. We had this saying, "Plan, plan, plan, and then throw it out the window the first day of the project—'cause nothing goes according to plan." So, now I do as little planning as I have to. I was just asking in general, as a curiosity more than anything.

I tend to agree.
I read and research quite a bit, but more out of curiosity and to get a 'feel' for what the route or the weather will be like.
Once the boots are on the ground, I go with the flow as much as I can.

The planning that I do, is just to establish the 'shape'of my Camino.
Route. (my expected kms / day = rough # of days to allow)
Time of year. (weather = packing list)
Likely accommodation use (= packing list & budget to allow)

That's about it really. Oh, and I tend to book the first couple of night accommodation, just to get me started.

Last edited:
I'm always recommending the "wing it" approach, but it seems that many people are too scared to do that.
On my first Camino (with my 19 year old daughter) I tried to plan every day. I think I was scared for her. After Roncesvalles I gave up on my plan and we just walked. It was so good to let go and let things “unfold”.
It is true that the Camino gives you what you need.
Best trip I have ever had.

I've have planned how to get from my home in UK to SJDPP, I have to because that uses public transport, after that the I plan is to follow the path. No need to plan after that because I am in charge of the vehicle.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I view doing annual Caminos as a form of process improvement. I am the process seeking improvement. The Camino is my parallel process that creates opportunities for self-improvement.

I am constantly trying to get more from the experience. As a result, each Camino provides immediate feedback to the planning process for the next Camino. It is a continuous cycle...

In this regard, planning for the next Camino never really ends. However, each new year, after the winter holidays, my logistical research and planning kicks into high gear. I plan in January and February, buy air tickets in March, start making advance housing reservations in early April, and typically fly over in the second half of April.

I prefer to walk my Caminos during the time from late April to early June. That avoids MOST of the snow and ice, and gets me off the Camino before the summer crush. However, I do, increasingly have to contend with competition for finite commercial housing with increased university class groups, and organized commercial tour groups. It happens. I simply adjust and overcome, or avoid the problems as they crop up.

Also, once I have visited my friends and colleagues at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, I have reconfirmed my summer volunteer dates. As soon as I return home in May or June, I make the necessary air reservations for this, next trip over. This is usually around mid-July.

It works for me...

Hope this helps.

It's a very important DAILY task if you are serious about walking the Camino! :eek:

Jeez, you don't seem to be taking this seriously at all. It's almost like you think you'll spend a couple of evenings at the dining table and have your planning done and dusted! You'll just head on over there and start walking and it will just fall into place and life will be beautiful.

Where will you start?
Pondering over the route and looking at places you might like visit along the way
Endlessly reading this forum and blog posts, to find out if that font is still working or where the best lunch in that village of if that albergue has a washing machine

It's endless!

Plan? What Plan?

I think we're a bit off subject, but I think—after two Caminos and many other long-distance adventures—I'm tired of taking it all too seriously. And thanks for your thoughts, Robo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I view doing annual Caminos as a form of process improvement. I am the process seeking improvement. The Camino is my parallel process that creates opportunities for self-improvement.

I am constantly trying to get more from the experience. As a result, each Camino provides immediate feedback to the planning process for the next Camino. It is a continuous cycle...

In this regard, planning for the next Camino never really ends. However, each new year, after the winter holidays, my logistical research and planning kicks into high gear. I plan in January and February, buy air tickets in March, start making advance housing reservations in early April, and typically fly over in the second half of April.

I prefer to walk my Caminos during the time from late April to early June. That avoids MOST of the snow and ice, and gets me off the Camino before the summer crush. However, I do, increasingly have to contend with competition for finite commercial housing with increased university class groups, and organized commercial tour groups. It happens. I simply adjust and overcome, or avoid the problems as they crop up.

Also, once I have visited my friends and colleagues at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, I have reconfirmed my summer volunteer dates. As soon as I return home in May or June, I make the necessary air reservations for this, next trip over. This is usually around mid-July.

It works for me...

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your thoughts, Tom. Planning after the holidays seems to be the most common answer to my question. In 2016, I walked the Via de la Plata during the fall season. You just don't do that route in summer. The heat is too dangerous. And springtime, as you've noted is very busy. Walking the VDLP in fall was awesome. The weather was about perfect. I started in Seville with temps in the 80s, and finished in Santiago in a light rain with temps in the 60s. I saw a little frost some mornings and snow on mountain peaks, but all in all, that season is magical. There was never pressure for a bed and though villages are generally farther apart on that route, it was no problem. Thanks again.

I have this folder on the desktop of my computer, labeled "next Camino". And whenever I come across some interesting piece of information during my daily scroll through "Yesterday's new topics", I take a screen shot and label it accordingly. It may be info on an especially nice albergue, an interesting piece of equipment, a recommended alternate route or anything else that catches my attention.
There is no "next Camino" on my immediate horizon at this pont in time, but I am sure that day will come. Meanwhile, I am constantly on Camino vicariously through all you fellow forum members.
The actual planning last time was limited to establishing my time frame, booking my outbound flight and the first three nights' accommodation. And getting my gear together, of course. But that will be almost a non-issue next time.

Thanks Much,

end of one Camino to the start of the next

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm assuming that Spring is the high season for most non-Spanish pilgrims. But my question is when do these people do their planning, what time of year, how early or late leading up to their ;););)Camino?

Thanks Much,

I am planning right now and I have been since I came back end of August :oops:;)
And that is for a July start Camino! :D

I have 6 Camino Combos already prepared in my files with all the logistics, info on infrastructure and accommodation, description of the route, GPS tracks downloaded etc. Not to mention the "whole" Caminos that I haven't walked. What that makes me? ;)

I'm always planning (thinking about it and reading) , but it usually is last moment when I can get a good price plane ticket. The rest of the planning is usually a couple of days before I leave, reading relevant threads in this blog, printing pages from Gronze, open albergue lists, and checking ways to get from airport to Camino. Packing usually happens the night before I go. I'm not too keen on stacks of preparation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Where will you start?

It's endless!

Plan? What Plan?

Robo, don't forget to add in the question of "how do I fit that rice cooker into my backpack with everything else taking up space?" :p:eek::eek::D

Robo, you mentioned the other day on another thread that you work all the time and have no free time for fun...now I know why! :)

No planning whatsoever. I focus all my pre-Camino attention on keeping my pack weight down to a minimum. Other than that, I just hit the trail and start walking. While I'm out walking I keep a list of towns, albergues, services and distances so that I'll know more or less where I'll sleep that night and perhaps the next night but all that often changes once I'm out walking.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Every time I hear about a route we haven't walked yet, I make a spreadsheet with possible places to eat/sleep, and add comments from this forum about places that someone particularly liked.

I have caminos planned that I will never walk, and that's fine. But if I DO walk them, I will know that in 2017, it was possible to sleep in the village refugio in the next village, called X, and Pilar has the key...

For any of our yearly vacations, Camino or otherwise, I start researching around July. Book tickets in the Sept or Oct timeframe. Actual trips are in in late April or May. Have to plan out this far for 1) best airfare or airline miles, 2) give my 3-4 week vacation notice to my boss. Gotta beat the rest of the coworkers to get my specific dates :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am planning right now and I have been since I came back end of August :oops:;)
And that is for a July start Camino! :D

Me too, me too!
It’s not really “planning” actually...it’s just thinking about it in every spare moment I have. Looking up maps, boots reviews, looking up albergues, Googling various Camino things...not because I feel the need to plan but because I’m excited.

But I guess all this idle “looking up” things does end up teaching me a lot of useful things.

No planning whatsoever. I focus all my pre-Camino attention on keeping my pack weight down to a minimum. Other than that, I just hit the trail and start walking. While I'm out walking I keep a list of towns, albergues, services and distances so that I'll know more or less where I'll sleep that night and perhaps the next night but all that often changes once I'm out walking.

It’s a matter of perception then, because I would consider the above pretty thorough planning. 🙂

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back