• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What time of year is best?

moostewart

What time of year is best to walk? I'm thinking of going Sept/Oct as I don't fair too well in really hot weather, plus i need to save up and get fit! Can anyone tell me what the weather is like then and if thats a busy time for other pilgrims?

I will be travelling alone and am a little anxious about this as well as excited to meet new interesting people :)

Many thanks,

Mary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Crowds decrease in September and October. The weather will be generally nice, but it can rain a lot. Last year it did not. You can consult http://www.wunderground.com to look at weather history for keys points along the route, such as Pamplona, Leon, Burgos, Lugo, and Santiago.

Mary, I'm glad you posted your question - I've been wondering the same thing, and thinking also about whether mid-September (this year) would be sensible or spring next year. I'd love to get a month-by-month description of other pilgrims' experiences, realizing of course that in any one year conditions can be different.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Go to this site:

http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/post-p ... 2012&mes=1

You can see the arrivals each month at the Pilgrim Office, the route they walked, and their starting point. For example, in September 2011, 26,023 pilgrims arrived; 19,111 were on the Camino Frances; 2,711 started in St. Jean Pied de Port; and 5,220 started in Sarria.

The ones who started in SJPdP started in August; from Sarria they started the last week of August or in September. You have to extrapolate a bit. The 2,762 pilgrims arriving in October from SJPdP will have started in September, so that is the number you can reasonable expect next September. That is about 90 per day, probably more starting early in September than later in September, but that cannot be found from the data. You can look at monthly data for the last eight years.

Data from SJPdP can be found here:

http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/spi ... ubrique626

Hi!

Spring! It's beautiful, and warm but not too hot. The crops are growing in the massive wheat fields and the wind makes them wave like the sea. The wild flowers are out and the air is clear.

I've only walked the Camino Ingles (Galicia) in autumn, and it's also beautiful, but a bit melancholic, with acorns and horse chestnuts dropping all around you. Wear a hat!

It depends what you like, really. In either season the weather should be comfortable for walking.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would say Spring. Son is currently there having started 2nd March. He has had very good weather most days but can be very cold at night. Having said that he reached Pamplona two days ahead of heavy snow and has managed to beat the weather so far. Going on his experience up to now, he is just 7 days from Santiago, I will be going with him next year but in April rather than March, if God spares us.

tpmchugh said:
I would say Spring. Son is currently there having started 2nd March. He has had very good weather most days but can be very cold at night. Having said that he reached Pamplona two days ahead of heavy snow and has managed to beat the weather so far. Going on his experience up to now, he is just 7 days from Santiago, I will be going with him next year but in April rather than March, if God spares us.
Yes, I just got back from walking Pamplona-SdC (arrived Easter Sunday) and the weather was good for walking if well prepared. My companion who started in SJPP had everything from snow to sunburn. I just had the sunburn and a bit of cold biting wind to balance it out. The skin on my hands and face has gone a bit flaky, and I don't know which of the extremes caused it!

Last year I walked from mid-April to May, and the weather was much more predictable. Spring was better established by then, whereas this March it could still feel wintery at times.

moostewart said:
What time of year is best to walk? I'm thinking of going Sept/Oct as I don't fair too well in really hot weather, plus i need to save up and get fit! Can anyone tell me what the weather is like then and if thats a busy time for other pilgrims?

I will be travelling alone and am a little anxious about this as well as excited to meet new interesting people :)

Many thanks,

Mary[/quote ]

Having experienced both spring and autumn , both options are better than summer, or winter for that matter. April can be very busy during Easter.
I have walked during the whole month of October from Roncesvalles and I can recomend this period. I will be far less congestedand the Autumn colours are amazing. As in Spring , you need to be prepared for the cold at night and early morning.
No need to feel anxious , there will be plenty of other Pilgrims in the same boat , so you can relax and enjoy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm also going from Roncesvalles at the very end of August-October, also solo. Would you recommend bringing long underwear, gloves and a warm hat? -cindy

mauveglass said:
I'm also going from Roncesvalles at the very end of August-October, also solo. Would you recommend bringing long underwear, gloves and a warm hat? -cindy
Hi Cindy!

I wouldn't recommend that really. The weather is likely to remain warm throughout September. You're more likely to need a brimmed hat for the sun. It will cool a bit in the evening so a fleece will be useful.

If the weather is cooling significantly towards the end of your Camino you'll have opportunities to pick up a new hat etc along the way.

I would recommend a proper sleeping bag rather than a liner though, and make sure you have rain protection.

Buen Camino!

Winter! With some Spring or Autumn chucked in. If you're lucky, you get bracing weather, clear skies and near-empty accommodation.

Of course, if you're unlucky...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
SPRING! I always walk in the spring and in a good year, when the weather is right, Navarra is just starting to bloom, the grapevines haven't decided to wake up yet, Rioja will have many more flowers the vines have nice leaves coming out, the wheat will be growing until Sarria! Galica will have a riot of colors and smells, wisteria, lobellia, digitalis, primula, jasmine. In 2010, the Holy Year, it was perfect, never got above 20 degrees perfect walking weather. 2011 was very very hot and the flowers were long gone by the time I got there on exactly the same dates! 2012 rain, rain, rain, snow, and did I mention rain? Global warming is penetrating the Camino and one never knows what to expect

I am happy you posted this! I will also be going alone and getting there at the very beginning of September. I have never done this walk before and I am feeling a little anxious. For those walking in September of this year... maybe I will meet you on the path!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have started in May, June, and July, i have heard that August is the spaniards time to walk, for me all were great but climate wise mid may- was best

Regards

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wdtpq1

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We started on the 6th of September 2011 in St Jean. The day temperatures were usually 40+ degrees Celcius and the days were very hot. I think it would have been better to have started end of Sept / beginning of October.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In September 2011, Pau, France had a maximum temperature over 30C on only three days; 32C was the highest. The weather there is similar to St. Jean Pied de Port. For September 2011, Pamplona had a maximum temperature over 30C on six days, only one at 35C. Leon, a fairly hot city, had no days in September 2011 over 30C. Santiago never hit 30C.

September can have hot days, but they are not regular.

I absolutely loved walking mid April to mid May (this year). The spring flowers were amazing and the weather was mostly cool or cold, with only a couple of nasty hot days towards the end. Like you, I'm really not a hot weather person, and I found on those couple of days that the hot weather changed my enjoyment dramatically - I absolutely despised walking in the heat!
The other great thing about the timing was that there were lots of people on the path so it was a very social experience, but it wasn't so crowded that you had to worry much about finding a bed. Highly recommend, and I imagine walking in the autumn would have similar advantages.

Hi Catlin

I walked exactly the same time last year and agree that it's a great time - not too busy but busy enough.

Last year the weather was much warmer, though. Not too hot, but generally t-shirt and sun cream weather. I don't know which is more typical (or maybe a mix of the two!)

Glad you enjoyed it. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For me walking in late autumn and winter is always wonderful ! However you must be prepared for varied weather and know how to read the sky for possible storms. Nights can be extremely cold with freezing rain or snow. Be prepared! Gaiters are a must.

Not all albergues will be open but since the crowds of summer are past the welcome at those albergues which are open is always very sincere. Most will either be heated or have blankets. It may be cold outside but there are always plenty of bunks!

In January 2009 at the almost mythic monastery of Roncevales after walking 18 k up from Valcarlos in 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow I was alone. The monk who stamped my Credential invited me to the evening benediction. As usual the service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (HEATED) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. How special it was to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time.

Margaret

While I considered the number of pilgrims and weather in planning my recent pilgrimage....I also evaluated seasonal differences in airfare prices. By starting in May instead of June...I saved approximately 40% on my round trip airfare.

I am considering going in Sept/Oct as well. Where do most people fly into to start in Pamplona? How fit does one need to be? How much time shall I allow for? I am currently going through a "status" change and would love an experience on the Camino de Santiago. Feeling like a lost soul these days. . .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Where do most people fly into to start in Pamplona? How fit does one need to be? How much time shall I allow for?
Fly into Pamplona to start there. You will need to take a taxi into Pamplona from the airport, since the bus has been canceled. Look for fellow pilgrims to split the cost. In September you probably can stay in either the Jesus y Maria or Paderborn albergues. Jesus y Maria is more central, but Paderborn is more intimate!

The less fit you are, the more you should use the first week or two as training! You can injure yourself if you try to do too much too early.

Pamplona to Santiago is 30 stages in the standard guides. Add about five days if you want to take it easy. Add more if you plan to take "rest" days.

Buen camino.

KayKay said:
I am considering going in Sept/Oct as well. Where do most people fly into to start in Pamplona? How fit does one need to be? How much time shall I allow for? I am currently going through a "status" change and would love an experience on the Camino de Santiago. Feeling like a lost soul these days. . .
Hi KayKay!

Depending on where you're flying in from you may be able to fly to Pamplona. It's a tiny airport with a only a few domestic flights, so you'd go through Madrid or Barcelona. That can be expensive and you may save a lot of money by getting the train/bus from Madrid/Barna instead, but you could be lucky and get a good deal depending on dates etc.

Otherwise Biarritz, Bilbao, Valladolid may be options. As I say, it's just where you're flying from really.

Buen Camino!

The best time to do the Camino is when it suits you best to walk it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
SPRING! I always walk in the spring and in a good year, when the weather is right, Navarra is just starting to bloom, the grapevines haven't decided to wake up yet, Rioja will have many more flowers the vines have nice leaves coming out, the wheat will be growing until Sarria! Galica will have a riot of colors and smells, wisteria, lobellia, digitalis, primula, jasmine. In 2010, the Holy Year, it was perfect, never got above 20 degrees perfect walking weather. 2011 was very very hot and the flowers were long gone by the time I got there on exactly the same dates! 2012 rain, rain, rain, snow, and did I mention rain? Global warming is penetrating the Camino and one never knows what to expect

Sounds like SPRING it is for us then..........
But, could you be a bit more precise ? :) Months. early. mid, late etc.

For us Spring is Oct/Nov :) And I have no idea what 'Spring' would be in Spain. March/April?

Sounds like SPRING it is for us then..........
But, could you be a bit more precise ? :) Months. early. mid, late etc.

For us Spring is Oct/Nov :) And I have no idea what 'Spring' would be in Spain. March/April?

Spring in europe iis april/may/june. But in my opinion the best time to walk is may/june as this is your preference. As mentioned by previous peregrinos, either the best time to walk is either spring or fall. This is when the crowd is not so great, the weather is not so hot and not so cold at night. However as the weather has been quite changeable this year, it is anybody guess.

Good luck on your planning. Buen camino.

I loved it in the fall, but if I was to do it again I would start a bit earlier than last time. I think mid to late September would be perfect. I can't imagine hiking in the heat of summer, although some people are better with that sort of thing than I am. I've heard spring is nice but that the weather is much more erratic.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Many thanks,

Mary

In 2015 I walked the CF from mid-August to mid-September. I thought the weather was perfect. Not too warm at all, little bit cool in the mornings and evenings and only rained two days. Plus the blackberries all along the Camino were ripe and it was grape harvest time for all the vineyards along the Way.

In 2015 I walked the CF from mid-August to mid-September. I thought the weather was perfect. Not too warm at all, little bit cool in the mornings and evenings and only rained two days. Plus the blackberries all along the Camino were ripe and it was grape harvest time for all the vineyards along the Way.
Thank you Mark, Zoltan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Many thanks,

Mary
September 11 I left SJDP and had warm walking weather which notably cooled off in late Sept and rained ( as usual)😀 in Santiago in October. Harvest festivals were in full swing as I travelled along the route which made for great times in Pamplona, etc and lots of lovely juicy grapes on the vine

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back