• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What time to set off from SJPDP

davidorr

Time of past OR future Camino
Leaving SJPP on 31st August 2013
Hola everyone,

I have one last question before i catch my flight on the evening of August 30th.

I will be catching a plane at half 9 from Glasgow, stopping for some time in London (probably enough for a nap) and then flying to Biarritz, arriving around 8:30am French time.

This means that i will make it to SJPDP late morning. The question is:- weather permitting, will i have enough time to walk to Roncesvalles that day? I know ill be feeling super keen but does anyone feel strongly that i should be setting off early in the morning and not attempting the walk to Roncesvalles otherwise? I will need to pick up a credencial and maybe a stick but then ill be able to head off almost as soon as i get there. I have read conflicting reports on the difficulty of the first day.

For background i am 24 and have pretty good experience of doing long distance walks. (not 28 days in a row though) All advice is appreciated!

Thanks and Buen Camino!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you in a hurry? Do you live your life in a hurry? - Why not acclimatise, walk the town, visit the church on the cobbled Camino street, look at the fish under the medieval bridge, buy some trinkets, send some postcards, join other pilgrims at a cafe table and introduce yourself, have a meal, a glass of wine .... read everything in the pilgrim welcome centre, smile a lot at complete strangers .. then next morning LEAP out of bed and walk up that mountain - just a point of view ;)

Couldn't agree more with David :D 28 days!! Why not 27?? The town is well worth the time to wander the streets, soak up the ambiance, sample good food and enjoy a nights sleep before you set off. The walk over the mountain needs to be taken at a pace which allows you to enjoy the views and the company of other pilgrims. You will soon pick up that lost day :)

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm going to leave it to you to decide whether you want to stay in St. Jean to visit the town -- who knows,you may have already been there. Or how much time you want to spend enjoying the views, which are spectacular. All of that will go into your decision of course, but distance of the walk and elevation gain are likely to be the determining factors. Also need to consider whether it will be early afternoon by the time you get from the train station to the pilgrims office and on your way.

Between St. Jean and Roncesvalles, there are about 24 - 26 kms. The other important bit of information is the elevation gain -- you will ascend a total of 1200 meters between St. Jean and the high point and then you will have to descend many of those kms into Roncesvalles.

I'm sure there are people who could comfortably do this, but it's probably not a majority. But you should know your own comfort level with elevation gain and distance and average speed and are undoubtedly the best peson to judge for yourself.

Starting out in the heat of the day is also likely to slow you down -- the distance you can comfortably cover in a day with a 7 am departure is likely to be much greater than the distance you can cover when you are ascending 1200 m during the hottest part of the day.

Buen camino, Laurie

I would allow 9 hours to walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles.

What time is sunset on 30 August?

What is your plan if there are no beds left when you arrive?

The last few kilometers is under trees and it gets dark early. This is not a place to get caught out unprepared after sunset. It would not be comfortable to stay out overnight, particularly if the weather is being capricious.

As pointed out by others, SJPdP is a pleasant place to while away a few hours.

Valcarlos or Hunto/Orisson would be possible ... If you get to one of these places early enough you can redo your estimate.

I agree with the previous posters. If you have not been to SJPP before it is worth spending some time there and get into things. Also the visit to the pilgrim office may take you some time. If you are eager to start you could always check if they have lodging at Orisson, approx 8 km up the hill. That way you get to wake up in the mountains and get an easier start the day after.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Of course Laurie does not tell you what to do - she is very good at taking people's personal situations into account and allowing them to make their own decisions....but after reading her post it's kinda a no-brainer, unless you're one of the exceptional elite;-)

Hi David

So does that mean that you're catching the plane from Glasgow on the 30th and then fly out of London on the 31st. If so, are you flying Easyjet? I'm on the lovely morning flight that leaves at 5.50 am and I was planning to making my way by train to SDJP? Are you doing the same? I fly out of Australia on the 25th but will be in London and then Fife for a few days. am flying from Edinburgh to London on the 30th and hanging around Gatwick airport for the 5 or 6 hours!!!! May be we'll bump into each other if you're there ...

I say go with the flow. If you feel good and happy to walk then walk, otherwise sit back, relax and enjoy meeting with other fellow walkers.

Cheers
Naomi

We all have our own agendas, our own needs and desires and it's not for any of us to tell another what to do. However, seeing you asked ...

I, too, have done a few long distance walks and also a few pilgrimages. They are different things. Yes, they both involve walking every day and often involve sleeping in dormitory accommodation but I've always found a difference in the people I've met along the way and a difference in the way I walk. The pilgrim routes favour reflection and some days that means walking at a pace that is slower than your usual. There is no hurry and it's wonderful if you can allow it to unfold on its own.

For a 24 year old with experience of long distance walking, I wouldn't think that St Jean to Roncesvalles would present you with any great difficulties providing that, as Laurie pointed out, you were walking in ideal conditions. I've walked that stage twice, once at 54 and once at 56. A few years on and I wouldn't hesitate to walk it again.

However, you are likely to be quite tired and would be setting out late which would mean that your first day would be a race. Do you really want to start your Camino like that? St Jean is such a lovely town, why not enjoy the ambiance and meet up with a few other pilgrims?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone,

The posts are overwhelmingly in favour of me soaking in SJPDP. To be honest this was as i expected. I suppose i wont know just how tired ill be after the journey either. I have 29 days to get to Santiago but as i said in a previous post, i want to go with the flow. Planning to take it easy for the first week at least, id hate to injure myself and have to stop. Pretty sure im going to take everyones advice and head to SJPDP super relaxed and spend the evening there.

Naomi! We are on the same flight! Not only that but i am going to be waiting around at the airport for 5 hours as well! Looking forward to meeting you and having a coffee/ someone to decipher the train directions with at the other side!

Dave.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone,

The posts are overwhelmingly in favour of me soaking in SJPDP. To be honest this was as i expected. I suppose i wont know just how tired ill be after the journey either. I have 29 days to get to Santiago but as i said in a previous post, i want to go with the flow. Planning to take it easy for the first week at least, id hate to injure myself and have to stop. Pretty sure im going to take everyones advice and head to SJPDP super relaxed and spend the evening there.

Naomi! We are on the same flight! Not only that but i am going to be waiting around at the airport for 5 hours as well! Looking forward to meeting you and having a coffee/ someone to decipher the train directions with at the other side!

Dave.

Hey Dave

Looking forward to meeting up - definitely coffee - and as you said having someone to decipher the train directions at the other side. Super excited about the adventure.

See you then
Naomi

You have already realised you may well be tired, after all you will have been travelling (and hanging around which is even more tiring in my humble opinion) for most of a day. I did something similar, leaving Wolverhampton late evening for an early Stanstead flight followed by the Express Burricot taxi to SJPDP arriving tired. If you really feel that you want to start then consider Hunto or Kayola as well as Orisson. But be aware of the need to book and that they may already be full for the nights in question. If the two of you are going to join up then bear this in mind when considering accomodation?
Buen Caminos

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you are used to long distance walks then you can make up time during the Meseta portion. There is no way I would had skipped exploring SJPDP-- the town is gorgeous and rich on history. One of my best memories of the Camino is actually the night before leaving from SJPDP; munching on strawberries while sitting at the Citadelle taking in the gorgeous scenery, exploring the town, visiting the Church by the Spanish Gate, and reflecting on the journey I was about to embark on. To slow down and live the moment should be your first lesson on the Camino...:)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back