• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to do and not to do in a Refugio/Albergue

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all … I received Ivar’s pilgrimage update, the world is beginning to open up again .. as well as veterans going through their kit there are plenty of brand new pre-pilgrims planning, some confident, some rather nervous, so I thought I would start a ‘do this’ and ‘don’t do that’ thread. Starting with refugios/albergues.

For first time pilgrims – it is like going to big school; you are nervous a few days before, a bit frightened on the day, then you turn up wondering about how to do Everything, you don't know anyone and you feel lost - but after just a few days you know how it all works and slip into the rhythm, you belong – refugios are like that.

Refugios – at first they are really strange, uncomfortable, daunting, but then, just a few days later? They are home, each one is a refuge, a pleasant home, and all is well.

So some things not to do in a refugio
1. Don’t be impatient or rude or demanding to the hospitalero.
2. Don’t wear your outdoor footwear indoors.
3. Don’t get wildly drunk and ruin everyone else’s night.
4. Don’t get up in the dark early morning and start re-packing your rucksack by your bunk (do it the night before or carry it all quietly out of the dormitory and sort it elsewhere).
5. Don’t give pennies in a donativo (donations, not fixed price) refugio – be generous, really, be generous.

Some things to do
1. Be grateful. Spain owes you nothing. The Camino owes you nothing. Be grateful, for everything.
2. Be kind. If you see someone with an equipment problem, or looking sad, or hurt, or lonely – be kind, offer help (but don’t be upset if it is refused, they will remember the offer).
3. Be willing to move bunks. You have a bottom bunk and someone old or exhausted or injured comes in later? Offer them your bunk so they don’t have to climb to a top bunk.
4. Be discreet, don’t stare at half-dressed pilgrims, shield your eyes.
5. Do switch your phone off, so you don’t wake the whole dorm when a message comes in.

Oh – there is So much more! 🤔😉

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good list David. My friends who walked last year when restrictions eased up during the summer mostly stayed in hotels, pensions etc, but on the occasions they stayed in dorms they said be aware that some Albergues are lax on distancing etc, so my suggestion( if it is important to you from a safety point of view) check out the arrangements such as their distancing between sleepers , are the rooms well ventilated and likely to stay that way, what can you do to help such as talking outside etc. It's a bit of a bum note I have sounded here but this is where we are at the moment.

Buen Camino

A few more don'ts :
Don't put your backpack on the bunk
Don't strew your belongings all over the space surrounding your bunk
Don't sit up in bed reading your device after lights out
Don't hold loud conversations in the dorm at any time (there is bound to be somebody trying to sleep whatever the time) or until 15 minutes after leaving the albergue in the morning
Don't allow your walking poles to make contact with the road surface until you are well out of town
Don't complain to the hospitaleros about anything

One could go on and on. Basically, just try really hard not to do anything in or in the immediate vicinity of or even in the same country as an albergue if it is going to annoy somebody else.

Give more than you think you should to a donativo because a lot of people pay much less and the albergue will still have to pay the electricity bill.

And when you go into a bar or restaurant, smile and pass the time of day before you place your order.

Oh, nearly forgot, buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Flush the toilet after you used it. Yes ,really. Use the toiletbrush if needed.
Swipe away any hair you might loose after showering. A dirty floordrain is not appealing.

Also clean the kitchentop and stove after you have been cooking.
Do not take too long time up there so another pilgrim can continue cooking.
Share some of your food discreetly with someone who might need it.

Always be thankful like others already wrote.
Basic spanish vocabulary is always a help. Do not expect that shouting in a foreign language will score you good points with ( local ) people.

Ulreïa!

Hi all … I received Ivar’s pilgrimage update, the world is beginning to open up again .. as well as veterans going through their kit there are plenty of brand new pre-pilgrims planning, some confident, some rather nervous, so I thought I would start a ‘do this’ and ‘don’t do that’ thread. Starting with refugios/albergues.

For first time pilgrims – it is like going to big school; you are nervous a few days before, a bit frightened on the day, then you turn up wondering about how to do Everything, you don't know anyone and you feel lost - but after just a few days you know how it all works and slip into the rhythm, you belong – refugios are like that.

Refugios – at first they are really strange, uncomfortable, daunting, but then, just a few days later? They are home, each one is a refuge, a pleasant home, and all is well.

4. Don’t get up in the dark early morning and start re-packing your rucksack by your bunk (do it the night before or carry it all quietly out of the dormitory and sort it elsewhere).
5. Don’t give pennies in a voluntario (donations, not fixed price) refugio – be generous, really, be generous.

Some things to do
1. Be grateful. Spain owes you nothing. The Camino owes you nothing. Be grateful, for everything.
2. Be kind. If you see someone with an equipment problem, or looking sad, or hurt, or lonely – be kind, offer help (but don’t be upset if it is refused, they will remember the offer).
3. Be willing to move bunks. You have a bottom bunk and someone old or exhausted or injured comes in later? Offer them your bunk so they don’t have to climb to a top bunk.
5. Do switch your phone off, so you don’t wake the whole dorm when a message comes in.

Buen Camino!
I especially recommend numbers 3 and 4 this seems to be prevalent on some of the Caminos I have done.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What I have learned from my CF:
  • try to avoid metal parts on your gear and clothing (buckles / loops on belts)
  • Don't tare your velcros middle in the night
  • Try the red wine of northern Spain, not only the Rioja! You will be surprised.
  • Use the red light on your headlamp if you get up early.
  • At last: don't rush.

BC
Roland

• Use the red light on your headlamp if you get up early.
.... or if you need to go to the bathroom during the night; a red light, accidentally shone is someone’s face, is less likely to wake one. Some dormitories are so dark at night, one may need a light to get around, or to be seen moving around. Oh ..... and if you do go to the bathroom during the night make sure that the bed you return to, is your own. 😳

It is all about being considerate for others in shared space, not about getting there first and claiming all of your preferred space. Windows open or closed? I carry a lightweight sleeping bag and prefer windows open, so I can breathe (and sleep). But summer pilgrims who carry only a liner for bedding may need less ventilation and more warmth, as they approach Santiago later in the season. And being a younger and faster walker who gets there first does not necessarily mean that you have a right to whatever bunk you prefer. The needier pilgrims- maybe older or needing a plug to use a medical device, should be given preference, gracefully, even if you arrived there first. A simple rule: need gets priority, otherwise share equitably. And do what you can to let others use the albergue facilities (showers, etc.), prepare their food and sleep.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

5. Don’t give pennies in a voluntario (donations, not fixed price) refugio – be generous, really, be generous.

Some things to do

Buen Camino!

If you eat beans rent a private room!

If you snore strongly (chainsaw type) rented a private room!

If you walked while you sleep rent a private room!

Don’t turn on the overhead lights in the middle of the night after coming in late from a night of drinking (this actually happened).
At least your guy had drunkenness as an excuse for his inconsideration. My guy was looking for a blanket.
Don't use an audible alarm. If you feel that you need to wake up at 5:00 use a vibrating alarm on your phone or your SmartWatch.
In the albergue in O Cebreiro I woke up early, looked at the time and told myself "wait for it". Ten seconds later I heard about a half dozen alarms. Followed shortly thereafter by flashlights being shone into everybody's eyes (another don't do).

@trecile, I took your old tip of having a red background show up on my phone when I unlock it. Usually this is the only light I need. @Icacos mentioned this tip above but I picked it up from you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If I may add take a shower after you arrive and wash your clothes. You may not think you smell or may not care but the rest of us smell you or your clothes and it is not pleasant at all. Pack everything you can the night before and then take everything you could not pack out of the room where everyone is sleeping to repack. Do not hang anything off your bed if you are on the top bunk. Someone mentioned about picking beds. For older pilgrims like myself who have problems getting in and out of top bunks and also have to get up often at night it becomes very difficult and often embarrassing making noise and disturbing the person in the lower bunk. Younger people may not even think of it. I didn't when I was young but it makes a huge difference. Someone else mentioned about not letting your poles touch the ground in the albergue or in town. Please everyone use rubber tips on your poles the noise of the poles hitting the ground can be unsettling and more then a little annoying to many people. If you arrive early and wash your clothes please check to see if they are dry so others who arrive later can hang their clothes. As so many others said
Tourists demand pilgrims are thankful. That means for even the simplest shelter.

Don't hang your valuables on the shower door, or drape over the curtain (if there is one)...don't put your valuables under your pillow (just for a minute), when riding a bus...either put your pack on first so other baggage blocks yours, or last, just before the compartment is closed. If possible, don't leave your pack outside when in a restaurant or bar. Sadly, there are individuals that wander the albergues and along the Way...looking for an easy lift. Oh, and keep your wallet/passport, etc. in a secure location not your back pockets on your pants, or pack. If you decide to purchase something, have a small amount of cash available...do not open up your wallet and flash a sizeable amount of cash. Lastly, I think, do not go to an ATM at night, or in a secluded area. If possible have someone with you that you trust to watch your back.

Sorry @Arn i have to dispute your recommendation. While theft might a thing that happens on the camino and in Spain, it is nowhere near as bad as you make it look.
I left my valuables in my pockets, my phone on my bed and my backpack outside of multiple establishments without any of it going missing. I even have carried my wallet in my back pocket the last 30 years and change while traveling Spain (and other european countries). I think a bunch of kids in Milano tried a thing once, but were not successfull.
I understand that your personal experience might be different, but genereally most of europe is quite the safe place.

Now as for the topic:
  • Don't be loud when people try to sleep, no matter the time
  • Leave the place as close as possible as you'd like to find it
  • If there is a mixed dorm, live and let live, but try to be considerate
  • The light from your phones screen while be enough to find the bathroom. There is no reason to turn on a headlight in an albergue that i can think of
  • Talk to strangers
  • Don't drink more than you are used to. Vomiting into your bed will ruin your night and that of every other person in the room.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
  • The light from your phones screen while be enough to find the bathroom. There is no reason to turn on a headlight in an albergue that i can think of
A tiny little red light that can be held and/or partially obscured in the palm of one’s hand would be better than the glare of light emanating from one’s phone. IMHO 😊

I got one…

Don’t: The next morning don't forget the towel you left on the clothesline outside after taking your shower!… not because it really bothers anyone else but more because now you have to find a new towel!

Might sound dumb but I have forgotten towels like 3 times… hmmm… might be a personal issue…
My son forgot his towel at one private albergue and after negotiating with the owner he was able to purchase a heavier used one for 5€...not as good, but still better than no towel.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don’t: The next morning don't forget the towel you left on the clothesline outside after taking your shower!… not because it really bothers anyone else but more because now you have to find a new towel!
When I did the Norte in 2018 I brought a pareo to use as a towel, and one night I was in a lower bunk at the end of a row of bunks with a pilgrim on one side, and an empty space on the other. I thought that I was pretty clever when I hung the pareo to form a curtain between my and the other pilgrim - until about 40 minutes after I left the albergue and realized that I had forgotten to take it down and put it into my pack. Luckily I was walking through Bilbao that day where there is a Decathlon store about 2 blocks off of the Camino.
A tiny little red light that can be held and/or partially obscured in the palm of one’s hand would be better than the glare of light emanating from one’s phone. IMHO 😊
As @Rick of Rick and Peg mentioned made the lockscreen on my phone with my emergency information on a red background.
Like this
sample emergency phone on phone.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok, cool, I'm not the only one then.
No, you are not!
Another time we had draped our damp towels over the foot of our bunk beds to dry them out while staying in Castojerez. When we returned from dinner they had disappeared and we assumed stolen. Come to find out the hospitalero had taken them and hung them outdoors on a clothes line we had failed to see ealier...what a relief that was!

Sorry @Arn i have to dispute your recommendation. While theft might a thing that happens on the camino and in Spain, it is nowhere near as bad as you make it look.
I left my valuables in my pockets, my phone on my bed and my backpack outside of multiple establishments without any of it going missing. I even have carried my wallet in my back pocket the last 30 years and change while traveling Spain (and other european countries). I think a bunch of kids in Milano tried a thing once, but were not successfull.
I understand that your personal experience might be different, but genereally most of europe is quite the safe place.

Now as for the topic:
  • Talk to strangers
  • Don't drink more than you are used to. Vomiting into your bed will ruin your night and that of every other person in the room.
Agree re crime. There was a gang that used to target albergues operating out of Bilbao, but they were busted and rounded up in 2019 according to newspaper reports, and there have always been 'picaros', even in Mediaeval times, but generally, theft is extremely rare in Albergues and not common in Spain outside of tourist areas (and that is mainly pickpocketing). Nowhere is 100% safe, but the camino is safer than most places, more to the point, probably a lot safer than where any of us is from.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Or in the morning just because you are up and think everyone else should be. Leave it to the hospis.
In an albergue on the Frances, I found myself in a dormitory with the beds mostly occupied by women and one man who was walking with a pull-cart. In the morning, all we ladies were tiptoeing around in the dark to avoid turning on the light and waking him. Finally, one woman remarked that he must have departed very quietly while we all slept, and turned on the lights.

In an albergue on the Frances, I found myself in a dormitory with the beds mostly occupied by women and one man who was walking with a pull-cart. In the morning, all we ladies were tiptoeing around in the dark to avoid turning on the light and waking him. Finally, one woman remarked that he must have departed very quietly while we all slept, and turned on the lights.
Ok that gets a free pass.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think the "do unto others" pretty much covers things. I also try to consider sensibilities of other cultures and groups; how much flesh is acceptable in one culture or group is not in others, and while westerners blow their noses, this is very offensive to some Asian cultures. And isn't it wonderful to be exposed to all these different ideas? One of the treasures of the camino.

One thing though, especially now we have experienced a worldwide pandemic, if you are sick, please try to separate yourself from others - get a room somewhere else if you can possibly afford it, if not, seek help from the hospitalero. They often have a spare bed in a room or other space for just such emergencies.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
. I also try to consider sensibilities of other cultures and groups;
That made me think of an instance when my friend - an American like me, thought that a group of people from a different country weren't friendly because they didn't greet us with big smiles, as Americans tend to do. I mentioned that cultural differences didn't necessarily mean unfriendliness.
One thing though, especially now we have experienced a worldwide pandemic, if you are sick, please try to separate yourself from others - get a room somewhere else if you can possibly afford it,
Twice I have had a cold while on the Camino and except for one night when it wasn't possible, I got private rooms. Not only were the other pilgrims more comfortable, so was I!

Now as for the topic:
  • Talk to strangers
These are common sense precautions focused on documented incidents of theft on the Camino and other hostel type settings. An example: Staying at an albergue in Pamplona, a pilgrim reported his travel pouch (normally worn around his neck) containing money, passport and credit cards was taken by someone reaching over the door and taking it off the hook.
There are other examples on this Forum and others. That said, the majority of us may never personally fall victim to theft on the Camino or any other location. Maybe that's because we already take these precautions.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I get the impression that the various routes must be stren with left behind towels, mine was draped on a towel rail in Pamplona and missed in Puenta la Reina, I had to use a spare t-shirt. The purchase of a new towel was not to be until Logroño.
As for dos and donts, don't whinge about old men snoring the night before you give a personalised epic bout of snoring and flatulence that causes your mates to have a go at you in the middle if the night. It did make me laugh when at every stop the next day someone or other told you that you had a serious problem. Hopefully it stopped you whinging about others.

Regarding the mobile screen - I prefer to carry a tiny light to get to the loo in the night, or even just the little bit of light from my Fitbit, and instead put a photo of myself on the mobile's lockscreen. That way if I lose it or someone nicks it, literally anyone can switch it on and see my smiling face, so no doubt who owns the phone. A fellow pilgrim who finds it can also show it to others to find you!

And while you are setting that up, also please add emergency info to the lockscreen - because you'll want to keep it locked - and download, register for and familiarise yourself with the AlertCops app. You might not need it for yourself, but in case something happens to someone else.

€83,-
A cursory look at the 21st century would suggest that there are a lot of things we should have the wisdom not to do, and sadly, many of them have far worse consequences than walking around in the bathroom without your slippers on. But I take your point.

Dick Bird, I think you will find that the thread is about what to do and not to do in refugios to help novice pilgrims who will be nervous about that aspect of their Camino.
As a technical point - you cannot take even a cursory look at the 21st century until you are in the 22nd century - it being a century and all that ;)

I haven't read all 47 entries above, I admit, so what I have written below may duplicate the previous, in specific or in principle.

Do be kind and considerate of others. Listen to what bothers them and try not to do it.
Do look for opportunities to help others in need. At the same time, do be willing to accept help when it is offered.

Don't be too concerned when others are not being as kind or considerate as you would like them to be. Try to respond with generosity of spirit and the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps they are not seeing everything that you are seeing, or have had an especially hard day, or there are other extenuating circumstances that you are not aware of.
Don't be too hard on yourself when you fail to live up to all the great advice that has been shared here (and, at some point, you will - none of us is perfect). Extend that same generosity of spirit to yourself

Here is one that has not been mentioned yet. If you want a late night of drinking with your friends, don't come back to the albergue in the middle of the night and climb in a dormitory window, or let in your friends at the front door after you have climbed in a dormitory window. You will wake all the sleepers in the dormitory (there were 90 or so that night). You are building some very bad karma. It is particularly important to behave well in a donativo dormitory, which may be crowded with pilgrims who are as short of cash as you are, but need to sleep occasionally.

I have two kinds of footwear on Camino...the daily hiking choice and flip flops- that I immediately change into after arrival and wear into the shower.
Anti Veruca socks are a useful alternative. Dual purpose as well plus can be extremely light dependant on type and brand.

All very worthy suggestions, but with one small flaw in the logic - the kind of people who do all these things we say they shouldn't (or don't do the things we say they should) are generally not the kind of people who read this forum, or, sadly, would change their behaviour if they did.

Just be as nice as you can to everybody, including yourself.

the kind of people who do all these things we say they shouldn't (or don't do the things we say they should) are generally not the kind of people who read this forum, or, sadly, would change their behaviour if they did.
ok, one small flaw with logic... I think some of the people reading this thread may actually have no clue about the CdS and may benefit from the advice given...

Agree however that just being cool is the golden rule.

I haven't read all 47 entries above, I admit, so what I have written below may duplicate the previous, in specific or in principle.

Do be kind and considerate of others. Listen to what bothers them and try not to do it.
Do look for opportunities to help others in need. At the same time, do be willing to accept help when it is offered.

Don't be too concerned when others are not being as kind or considerate as you would like them to be. Try to respond with generosity of spirit and the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps they are not seeing everything that you are seeing, or have had an especially hard day, or there are other extenuating circumstances that you are not aware of.
Don't be too hard on yourself when you fail to live up to all the great advice that has been shared here (and, at some point, you will - none of us is perfect). Extend that same generosity of spirit to yourself
Well said. I agree: A bit of tolerance goes a long way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

5. Don’t give pennies in a donativo (donations, not fixed price) refugio – be generous, really, be generous.

Some things to do

Buen Camino!
Good words, mate. As the book says:

Do to others what you want others to do to you.
Give, and you shall receive (more). This one is seriously true on the Camino, in my experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The bunk closest to the bathroom is the noisiest, people flush all night and leave the lights on ;-)

Some things to do

Buen Camino!

This is really good, David. Let's make this a living and active document and make it available to as many as possible.

I would add one more thing:

If you have sleep APNEA or have snoring problems, please consider the needs of your fellow pilgrims. If at all possible book a private room in a hostel or hotel.

Some things to do

Buen Camino!

This is really good, David. Let's make this a living and active document and make it available to as many as possible.

I would add one more thing:

If you have sleep APNEA or have snoring problems, please consider the needs of your fellow pilgrims. If at all possible book a private room in a hostel or hotel.
My bugbear is when one member of a group arrives early and holds all the bottom bunks for those arriving several hours later.
Yes!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A few more don'ts :
Don't put your backpack on the bunk
Don't strew your belongings all over the space surrounding your bunk
Don't sit up in bed reading your device after lights out
Don't hold loud conversations in the dorm at any time (there is bound to be somebody trying to sleep whatever the time) or until 15 minutes after leaving the albergue in the morning
Don't allow your walking poles to make contact with the road surface until you are well out of town
Don't complain to the hospitaleros about anything

One could go on and on. Basically, just try really hard not to do anything in or in the immediate vicinity of or even in the same country as an albergue if it is going to annoy somebody else.

Give more than you think you should to a donativo because a lot of people pay much less and the albergue will still have to pay the electricity bill.

And when you go into a bar or restaurant, smile and pass the time of day before you place your order.

Oh, nearly forgot, buen camino

Don't have phone conversations at any time in the dorm. Go outside well away from other pilgrims.

Don't hang your valuables on the shower door, or drape over the curtain (if there is one)...don't put your valuables under your pillow (just for a minute), when riding a bus...either put your pack on first so other baggage blocks yours, or last, just before the compartment is closed. If possible, don't leave your pack outside when in a restaurant or bar. Sadly, there are individuals that wander the albergues and along the Way...looking for an easy lift. Oh, and keep your wallet/passport, etc. in a secure location not your back pockets on your pants, or pack. If you decide to purchase something, have a small amount of cash available...do not open up your wallet and flash a sizeable amount of cash. Lastly, I think, do not go to an ATM at night, or in a secluded area. If possible have someone with you that you trust to watch your back.
Further to the ATM note; only ise an ATM when the bank/business is open.

Oh heck no. That would be fighting time - or at least VERY DIRTY eye contact. Never experienced that myself however… l
That happened on the first stage of the Inglés. Several experienced pilgrims removed the articles with the help of the hospitalero..

Dick Bird, I think you will find that the thread is about what to do and not to do in refugios to help novice pilgrims who will be nervous about that aspect of their Camino.
As a technical point - you cannot take even a cursory look at the 21st century until you are in the 22nd century - it being a century and all that ;)
😂😂

Some things to do

Buen Camino!
Hi David, I think you have written this so well. My motto, Be kind & kindness back in bucket loads.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My bugbear is when one member of a group arrives early and holds all the bottom bunks for those arriving several hours later.
Interesting , i did not know that was possible i thought that the people who check you in would assign you a specific bed

ok, one small flaw with logic... I think some of the people reading this thread may actually have no clue about the CdS and may benefit from the advice given...

Agree however that just being cool is the golden rule.

That is not allowed in municipal, paroquial etc albergues; no hospitalero would allow it and no experienced pilgrim would do it. No body, no bunk is the usual rule. But if the hospitalero is not there you can't do much except remonstrate. The only consolation is that anyone who tries this on will quickly discover other pilgrims won't tolerate it(and we tolerate most things).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Interesting , i did not know that was possible i thought that the people who check you in would assign you a specific bed
Usually, yes but for all kinds of reasons the hospitalero might not be in the albergue as people arrive. My experience has been though that if someone tries it, other pilgrims will intervene. It is definitely a no-no.

Usually, yes but for all kinds of reasons the hospitalero might not be in the albergue as people arrive. My experience has been though that if someone tries it, other pilgrims will intervene. It is definitely a no-no.
I intervened once and gave my reasoning and I got the bottom bunk. Another time I didn't but a male pilgrim threw one of the bags off and took the bottom bunk. I ended up on a top bunk with a 30 year American male in the bottom bunk who turned up 3 hours later. I wasn't in the mood to complain. In many albergues, the hospitaleros just show you to a room and let you take whichever bed you like.

That is not allowed in municipal, paroquial etc albergues; no hospitalero would allow it and no experienced pilgrim would do it. No body, no bunk is the usual rule. But if the hospitalero is not there you can't do much except remonstrate. The only consolation is that anyone who tries this on will quickly discover other pilgrims won't tolerate it(and we tolerate most things).
I don't agree, a lot of people including myself don't want to get narky especially as I could physically get up to the top bunk. The people grabbing beds for their friends aren't experienced pilgrims, like me walking the CF for the first time.

€149,-
Could you pass that information to me please....mil gracias

I created a jpeg image with a red background that I use for the locks creen on my phone, so that when turn the phone on, but don't unlock it the screen is mostly red, and thus the light emitting from the phone is reddish and not so bright.

sample emergency phone on phone.png

Some places assign beds, others don't. It's up to each albergue.

Ahh, i understand......but Karma will eventually even things out.jajaja
That's what I thought. Actually one of the group, a South African woman, confined in me, crying as well, that she was exhausted and couldn't get any sleep with all the snoring, particularly her slightly overweight American father. I ended up giving her the last of my silicone ear plugs. She was very grateful to me the next day as she got some sleep, and I got some good karma out of it.

Thanks for starting this David. - Soooooooo many good ideas here.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do not put your pack on the bed. It is dirty on the bottom and may have bugs attached. Do not leave any of your belongings on the chairs in the room. Leave it for folks wanting it for putting on clothes or footwear. Do not leave your cell phones charging out of your sight or overnight. Was staying in an alburgue where many were stolen.

How about a 'Pilgrim's Code of Conduct' that could be placed on the Resources page? It could collate all the posts on this and other threads, be open to regular (moderated) amendments, and have sections on albergues; while walking; and interacting with locals.

It could even be posted on the wall of albergues so that everyone knows what is acceptable behaviour.

What do you think?

How about a 'Pilgrim's Code of Conduct' that could be placed on the Resources page? It could collate all the posts on this and other threads, be open to regular (moderated) amendments, and have sections on albergues; while walking; and interacting with locals.

It could even be posted on the wall of albergues so that everyone knows what is acceptable behaviour.

What do you think?
That those who are going to be inconsiderate won't read it. 😕

Totally agree ,get a private room if you’ve been told that you snore.People seem to be surprised when told that they snore. Surely someone along the way has told you 😂😂

€149,-
Thank you @trecile and @nidarosa for this information on lockscreens. I now know there is such a thing and where to find it. Helpful information indeed. 😊
Could you pass that information to me please....mil gracias
I created a jpeg image with a red background that I use for the locks creen on my phone, so that when turn the phone on, but don't unlock it the screen is mostly red, and thus the light emitting from the phone is reddish and not so bright.

View attachment 100805
@Traveller44, you sound like you may be around my speed when it comes to computers! 😆 I googled ‘Locked screen on iPhone‘ (my son told about googling things) and that’s how I learned what a locked screen is and where to find it. Perhaps if I muddled along a bit further I might understand more of what @trecile has set out above. 😊

Oh my. 1000 times, yes to this. A week of no or poor sleep because of snoring bodies will drive you away from albergues and into pensions or private rooms wherever you can find them. The snorers always seem to awaken refreshed from their slumber and are utterly oblivious to their bleary eyed roommates. It can really suck listening to that noise all night long.

If you can not sleep due to snorers then just maybe it is you who should get the private rooms. Most people snore at some time in their lives and certainly don't deliberately set out to do so. They cannot help it. You cannot avoid snorers in dormitory type accommodation. Full stop.

My worst experience with a snorer was from someone who very loudly complained before retiring that he was sick of the old people snoring and could we give him some peace this night, he went on to give the most dramatic night of snoring, flatulence and mumbling in his sleep. His mates woke him a few times to no avail, disowned him next morning and apologised to all and sundry for his previous terrible manners.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't be delusional thinking that your t-shirt (and socks) can ever pass the sniff test after you walked in them 20 km regardless of weather. Wash your clothes.
Don't hang your stinky shirt or wet towel on other people's beds. There are clothes lines or use railings of your own bed.

In fact, try not to hang wet clothes anywhere in the dorms ?? people will be sleeping in there and need fresh(ish) air! Hang wet stuff outside to dry, wherever possible, and if there is no chance it will dry overnight, put it in a bag and wash it tomorrow. At least with new covid regs there will hopefully be better ventilation and more open windows in the dorms.

Oh my. 1000 times, yes to this. A week of no or poor sleep because of snoring bodies will drive you away from albergues and into pensions or private rooms wherever you can find them. The snorers always seem to awaken refreshed from their slumber and are utterly oblivious to their bleary eyed roommates. It can really suck listening to that noise all night long.
I have already moved away from albergues as I know I would suffer greatly. I am the world's lightest sleeper and snoring would keep me wide awake. My crankiness would not be nice for others to experience so hotels for me.

I stayed in an inexpensive hotel in Burgos for a few days when I was beginning my service as a hospitalera and the date when I was to start was changed. I noticed the signs requesting silence when I checked in, but I did not know how noisy it would get. Wooden floors, wooden doors and no set bed time, as in an albergue. The evening meal was very late and so people returned from their meal very late, and saw no particular reason to be quiet. Couples argued, or enthusiastically enjoyed their holiday time together. In general, the few nights which I spent in hotels did not offer me any more sleep than if I were in albergues, just higher prices.

The one rude habit I have seen mentioned already here that I have a real pet peeve for is the practice of dumping all the gear from the backpack all over the floor next to a bottom bunk? Why? I mean everything and strewn about. So much that it is in the path between bunks and other pilgrims have to navigate through it, and anybody sleeping in the top bunk above has to deal with it as they climb up or down. Besides all that, the person doing it risks losing equipment and risks his clothes and such getting dirty and possibly even bedbugs. I have actually pushed stuff strewn like that under bunks with my feet as I walk by in order to avoid stepping on stuff and getting tripped up. Could care less if they lost anything.
I know somebody out there reading this has done that, whether a member of this forum or a guest. Please enlighten me as to what the reason or logic is for doing that. I would like to know.

The one rude habit I have seen mentioned already here that I have a real pet peeve for is the practice of dumping all the gear from the backpack all over the floor next to a bottom bunk? Why? I mean everything and strewn about. So much that it is in the path between bunks and other pilgrims have to navigate through it, and anybody sleeping in the top bunk above has to deal with it as they climb up or down. Besides all that, the person doing it risks losing equipment and risks his clothes and such getting dirty and possibly even bedbugs. I have actually pushed stuff strewn like that under bunks with my feet as I walk by in order to avoid stepping on stuff and getting tripped up. Could care less if they lost anything.
I know somebody out there reading this has done that, whether a member of this forum or a guest. Please enlighten me as to what the reason or logic is for doing that. I would like to know.
I have been in an upper bunk where the pilgrim in the lower bunk placed their backpack right at the foot of the ladder. They couldn't have been more clueless!

€60,-
My worst experience with a snorer was from someone who very loudly complained before retiring that he was sick of the old people snoring and could we give him some peace this night, he went on to give the most dramatic night of snoring, flatulence and mumbling in his sleep. His mates woke him a few times to no avail, disowned him next morning and apologised to all and sundry for his previous terrible manners.

It sounds to me that this was a very unfortunate incident all round. Who knows what the poor fellow was dealing with leading up to the night in question. Perhaps he was off his meds. Perhaps he regretted his behaviour even before he fell asleep that night, and he certainly could not control what disruptions he caused while he was sleeping. Undoubtedly, he paid a high price for his behaviour and ‘terrible manners,’ by his being ‘disowned’ by his mates the following morning.

Some of the kindest words I’ve read on this forum are from a member who hasn’t been very active here of late: “Gossiping about, and leaving snorers out of meals and happy times, is a meanness that has no place on Camino. Be kind ....” I realize this doesn’t cover everything in the above mentioned incident, but you get the message, I’m sure.

I pray that those who felt transgressed upon have found it in their hearts to forgive their perceived transgressor and, likewise, that the transgressor has found the grace to see the error of his ways and has been able to forgive himself. Please, let us be kind.

There, I’ve got this off my chest. 😊

Your post could have been written by me. It totally baffles me why some people do that; leaving a big mess in the aisle to step around to avoid, with no rhyme nor reason as to why they consider it necessary to unload their pack all over the floor.

Generally most people are considerate of others. As for snoring I have found that those that protest the most and insist they themselves don't snore are usually unaware or in denial that they snore as well. After all, unless someone lets you know you are probably unaware of the noise you may make when sound asleep. Communal sleeping is for all - if you need a break then get a private room.
Early risers can really be inconsiderate tho - particularly if you've just got to sleep after listening to the snoring
😆 One group got up at 4am, rustling and lights flashing for what seemed like a long time. When we got to out destination that day we were surprised to to see them asleep in their bunks - we thought they must have been going on much further to necessitate such an early start. Luckily we were assigned to another room.

€83,-
Icacos, the young man in question was being extremely rude and loud and cussing older people, he was in fact showing off in front of his mates. His mates were right to walk out without him. Giving him the chance to reflect on his actions by himself. For forgiveness to work there has to be a certain amount of repentance from the offender. Be kind yes, but don't allow others to take advantage of your good nature. Turn the other cheek but walk away when it's the right time to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back