• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to do if there is no bed in Orisson

danielle aird

La vie est belle
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018; September 2018; May 2019; Sept (2019)
I was on the Camino Francés in September 2021. Orisson was full. I walked from my albergue, the Bidean in St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Orisson and back; stayed again at the Bidean (and enjoyed the wonderful meal prepared by Joe the chef and part-owner with Pascal) and the next morning rode with the backpack transfer taxi to Orisson (I think he charged about 8 Euros) where I started my second day of hiking. I found that very convenient. However, later, in Galicia, I had an injury and asked the luggage transfer man if I could pay him to take me to my destination. He said he could not because he could be fined (I think it was 4,000 Euros). So they must have different laws in France and Spain. But it was nice not to have to pack up before walking to Orisson on my first day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was on the Camino Francés in September 2021. Orisson was full. I walked from my albergue, the Bidean in St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Orisson and back; stayed again at the Bidean (and enjoyed the wonderful meal prepared by Joe the chef and part-owner with Pascal) and the next morning rode with the backpack transfer taxi to Orisson (I think he charged about 8 Euros) where I started my second day of hiking. I found that very convenient. However, later, in Galicia, I had an injury and asked the luggage transfer man if I could pay him to take me to my destination. He said he could not because he could be fined (I think it was 4,000 Euros). So they must have different laws in France and Spain. But it was nice not to have to pack up before walking to Orisson on my first day.
It is wise to book for Orisson as there is a limited number of beds and it is pretty risky to count on getting a bed without reservation. I slept there in Sept. as to baggage transfer I would imagine it is a question of insurance rather than any law. A private company would be insured for baggage but not for passenger.. in case of an accident. Of course a bus would carry passengers and luggage. I booked St jean, Orisson and Roncesvalles and partly winged it after that. Can’t imagine starting over a second time. That must have been so disappointing!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is wise to book for Orisson as there is a limited number of beds and it is pretty risky to count on getting a bed without reservation. I slept there in Sept. as to baggage transfer I would imagine it is a question of insurance rather than any law. A private company would be insured for baggage but not for passenger.. in case of an accident. Of course a bus would carry passengers and luggage. I booked St jean, Orisson and Roncesvalles and partly winged it after that. Can’t imagine starting over a second time. That must have been so disappointing!
I did not walk the second day to Orisson; I rode in the taxi to Orisson. I had actually chosen not to book in Orisson because I had enjoyed staying at the Bidean in St. Jean before and had also once stayed in Orisson. I wanted to experience the hike to and from Orisson and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is about 16k return.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In addition to Burda (after Orisson) there are beds in Kayola, about 800 meters before Orisson. Booked via Orisson. Dinner and breakfast is possible in Orisson.
One possibility is to walk to Orisson, take a taxi back to S.Jean, take a taxi in the morning to Orisson and carry on. Easy, if you are several together.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are starting CF in mid September from SJPP, how early should we register at Orrison?
If you know your exact dates you should reserve at Orisson as soon as possible, as they only have 28 beds, and September is the most popular months for pilgrims starting from St Jean Pied de Port.

I booked St jean, Orisson and Roncesvalles and partly winged it after that. Can’t imagine starting over a second time. That must have been so disappointing!
Tomorrow, I am leaving for Spain to start my first Camino Frances. I could not bear being turned down at Orisson, so like you I reserved back in late May Orisson, Roncesvalles, Espinal and Zubiri and will wing it from Pamplona onwards. Yes, it sounds slow going, but I want to 'experience' my Camino and after Zubiri I will pick up the pace ... 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tomorrow, I am leaving for Spain to start my first Camino Frances. I could not bear being turned down at Orisson, so like you I reserved back in late May Orisson, Roncesvalles, Espinal and Zubiri and will wing it from Pamplona onwards. Yes, it sounds slow going, but I want to 'experience' my Camino and after Zubiri I will pick up the pace ... 😊
Why not pick up the pace after Pamplona and then you will be able to stay in the wonderful albergue at Zabaldika with it's beautiful church and nice Nuns.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back