• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to do in Burgos on a rest day

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
How did you enjoy your rest day in Burgos?

We have been twice already so do not want to visit the Natural History museum or the Cathedral for a third time (although highly recommend both first and first or second time!!) We are hoping to pass through in December so looking for places of interest that are open in winter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Go down to Sant Domingo de Silos in the afternoon you get to Burgos - a bus leaves at about 5 - and spend the night there. Compline and Vespers there are magical. You can get the evening bus back the next day, and have a night in Burgos before continuing on the Frances.
There's a morning bus, too, but you miss the compline that way.

A day in SDdS can include a visit to the cloister, and a day-walk over the hill to where they filmed The Good the Bad and the Ugly:
To get there, take the afternoon bus to Santo Domingo de Silos from Burgos. Spend the night and in the morning walk out of SDdS on the GR82 (NOT the Camino del Cid or the Ruta de Ebro). You'll walk steadily uphill on a dirt road, and when it reaches the top of the ridge it drops down to the right into the next valley over. Just keep following the road towards Contreras and the Sad Hill Cemetery will be on your right. It's marked. I can't quite remember, but maybe it's an hour and a half or two hours one way? With views to die for at the top of the hill....

You could take the evening bus back to Burgos or spend another night in SDdS, which is what I would probably do. It's a very nice place, and the evening service with Gregorian chant at the monastery is very special.
Or...;)...you could walk to Covarrubbias on the Ebro and then back to Burgos via the Camino San Olav. It's 3 days of 5-star walking!!

I agree with VNwalking above in post # 2.

In 2012 after I finished the CF early in December my husband drove to SdC to join me and in the new year we visited Santo Domingo de Silos Monastery

The famous Gregorian chants during morning/evening services and the guided tour of the Benedictine complex were remarkable. Especially splendid was the two story Romanesque cloister embellished with extraordinary carving such as the Doubting Thomas. ...Perfection to remember forever.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are taking an extra day there to drive up to San Sebastián de Garabandal, its a two hour drive north of Burgos but its on the bucket list so we gotta go. There are buses and trains too but we like the flexibility of not being on a schedule.

How did you enjoy your rest day in Burgos?

We have been twice already so do not want to visit the Natural History museum or the Cathedral for a third time (although highly recommend both first and first or second time!!) We are hoping to pass through in December so looking for places of interest that are open in winter.
Does anyone know for sure that the bus still goes to Santo Domingo de Silos from Burgos? My wife and I took it in 2014. We are currently walking the Camino through Logrono and have reservations in Santo Domingo de Silos for a side trip from Burgos. We have been unable to find any information about the bus on line. We also do not know if the monastery is allowing visitors to attend services. The chanting is amazing and hopefully will be one of the highlights of this camino if we can get there.

Does anyone know for sure that the bus still goes to Santo Domingo de Silos from Burgos? My wife and I took it in 2014. We are currently walking the Camino through Logrono and have reservations in Santo Domingo de Silos for a side trip from Burgos. We have been unable to find any information about the bus on line. We also do not know if the monastery is allowing visitors to attend services. The chanting is amazing and hopefully will be one of the highlights of this camino if we can get there.
Here is some current info re Silos.

Try Rome2Rio for various transport possibities

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here is some current info re Silos.

Try Rome2Rio for various transport possibities
I have checked Rome2Rio, Omio other bus and transport apps and done extensive searching strategies with no success at finding that the bus still runs. I would really like to know if anyone has any recent knowledge. Everything I find that documents the bus there is pre Covid.

Well there’s a Burgos Cathedral. And there’s a world class museum. And there is also a Burgos Museum in addition. I once spent eight hours in the Burgos Cathedral. Incredible art there. Ride the choo-choo train around.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have checked Rome2Rio, Omio other bus and transport apps and done extensive searching strategies with no success at finding that the bus still runs. I would really like to know if anyone has any recent knowledge. Everything I find that documents the bus there is pre Covid.
This is a screenshot of a bus for May 9, 2022 from Burgos to Hortiguela.

Screenshot_20220506-195924_Rome2rio.jpg

The bus company is http://www.therpasa.es/. See more trips in their schedule. Rome2Rio suggests that from Hortiguela you then continue on to Silos by taxi.

Last edited:
Yes that comes up on Rome2Rio but that is not the bus to Santo Domingo de Silos. The bus to Santo Domingo de Silos drops you about 100 meters from the monastery entrance, no taxi is needed and you can often make the vespers service upon your arrival.
I have finally reveived a reply from the hotel in which we will be staying and I can now confirm that the evening bus to Santo Domingo does still operate Monday through Friday.

In a pinch you can take a taxi. I know someone who got a ride there from a taxi stand near the Museum of Human Evolution.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
C'mon gang!!! Camino vets should know this!!! Visiting Burgos and ignoring Las Huelgas is like visiting London and ignoring Westminster Abbey. As I was told once, most solemnly, "If the Pope were ever to take a wife it would have to be the Abbess of Las Huelgas!" ... And unlike Silos (wonderful place in its own right!), it's actually in Burgos! An easy walk from city center!!!

Last edited:
Camino vets should know this!!! Visiting Burgos and ignoring Las Huelgas is like visiting London and ignoring Westminster Abbey
It is an amazing place, but not everyone is interested in the same thing.

If I could visit only one it would be Silos. The cloister, the quiet surroungings, and (above all) the gregorian chant in the evening and morning make it very special.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
How about visiting the city?
? Is that not what I am asking? If you mean stroll around and take it all in, then yes, we have and will do a bit more next time.
Well there’s a Burgos Cathedral. And there’s a world class museum. And there is also a Burgos Museum in addition. I once spent eight hours in the Burgos Cathedral. Incredible art there. Ride the choo-choo train around.
yes, I mentioned in my original post that I have visited both twice previously and am after other places of note to visit, The world class museum was particularly special seeing it with our then 9 and 11 year old boys (and again when the were 11 and 14 at their request). The 14 and 16 year olds have already told us they want to see something else!
There is also the option of resting on the rest day!
Nah! For us a rest day is private accommodation, sleeping in and wandering around the sites - aka playing tourist for a day. We dont want to see everything in a day but would like to see something!

@globetrotter - I hope you find a solution

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back