• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do you like to do when you get to Santiago?

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
I realize this has been discussed before, but maybe it's time to reminisce about what we have done, or plan to do, when we arrive in the city of Santiago.

I have a favourite place to stay - Hospederia San Martin Pinario, on the pilgrim floor, because it has everything I really want (bed, sheets, towel, private bathroom) but retains a certain pilgrim restraint. The building is grand, the buffet breakfast is excellent, and there's a lounge for relaxing.

Each time I've been in Santiago, I've had a day or two so I haven't had to rush, but I haven't had so much time that I had to look for entertainment. So, I simply like to relax (and rest) while I transition from pilgrim mode to ordinary life - attend mass, do laundry, walk to Alameda Park, stop by the Pilgrim House, visit the market, maybe visit a museum, join other pilgrims for evening food and drinks.

What do you look forward to doing in Santiago next time?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I realize this has been discussed before, but maybe it's time to reminisce about what we have done, or plan to do, when we arrive in the city of Santiago.

I have a favourite place to stay - Hospederia San Martin Pinario, on the pilgrim floor, because it has everything I really want (bed, sheets, towel, private bathroom) but retains a certain pilgrim restraint. The building is grand, the buffet breakfast is excellent, and there's a lounge for relaxing.

Each time I've been in Santiago, I've had a day or two so I haven't had to rush, but I haven't had so much time that I had to look for entertainment. So, I simply like to relax (and rest) while I transition from pilgrim mode to ordinary life - attend mass, do laundry, walk to Alameda Park, stop by the Pilgrim House, visit the market, maybe visit a museum, join other pilgrims for evening food and drinks.

Basically exactly what you have said, including the accommodation in Santiago! We do attend as many masses as we can, we just like being in the Cathedral, we also try and attend an English speaking Mass. Having now spent a bit of time in Santiago post Caminos, we feel we are coming home, we really love just wandering the streets and enjoying the atmosphere in this wonderful city.

I was standing outside this shop enjoying my gelato on a very hot July day when I spotted a Korean pilgrim walking wearily in towards the Cathedral and had a flashback to earlier on my own Camino when I witnessed someone racially abusing a Korean and I had regretted not intervening so I decided to go with a random act of kindness.

I said Buen Camino and pointed to the gelato, he looked a bit bewildered and probably thought that I was a tout but I grabbed his hand and pulled him into the store and "asked" which one he liked. He eventually got the drift or gave up, not sure which, because he then started to get his wallet out but I waved it away and sent him on his way with a delicious cool double gelato.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There’s a little bar next door to The Last Stamp albergue (not a bad place to stay), which serves a delightful hot chocolate and churros. It’s usually my final decadent treat, since walking is over and calories start to count themselves again.

I usually visit the cathedral at least 3 times per day and catch at least one mass.

San Martin Pinario is my all time favorite. I especially like the after hours bar where I can watch football and, since the bartender knows me, the gin and tonics keep coming.
Buen “is anyone keeping score?” Camino
Arn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Sleep in a room all by myself.
In a bed with nice sheets.
Take a long hot shower without pushing a button
Go to the Cathedral for mass and be thankful for everything I have.
Meet up with folks I met along the way for dinner
Drink to much
Repeat

I am thinking that I need some way to identify myself to other forum members in the bar or restaurant of San Martin Pinario, as I do not have my pack with my forum patch with me there. In the past, the bar was where the wifi was and the bar was for pilgrims, so there was some chance to meet other pilgrims there. I generally choose solitary and long caminos, so after walking for a couple of months I am ready for some company. I wonder if the bar will even be open, if I arrive there this November. I am hoping that things will gradually be returning to normal by then.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

After queuing and receiving my Compostela , I would eat at the nearest available place and then head to Cafe Gramola to get a seat inside the big window . Chill out and watch all the new arrivals pass on their entry into Santiago .Carefully scrutinise their footwear , size of rucksack , walking style/condition to see if suffering from injuries , their tan, and mentally calculate whether last 100 or long distance full camino . All this for about 4 hours enjoying a few beers and tapas . i would give the obligatory walk around the old town , buy a souvenir even though I do need one , and end up in the Casa De Crèches that night to hear some music downstairs . Head home feeling sad on the morning after and plan the next Camino on the plane back to Ireland .😉😉😉😉

Alas...no San Martin for me next time unless maybe I can stay on a non-pilgrim floor. I did enjoy the lounge and the breakfast, and the company of folks who were there, but I was so wildly allergic to whatever they were using as a cleaner on the top floor that I developed the most screaming headache and burning throat that I simply could not sleep. After supper in what was to be my second night, I gave up, ate the cost and headed for a hotel near to the train station.
I did enjoy the Last Stamp! And I was lucky enough to stay in th epilgrim room at the Parador on that trip (I had given myself 4 days in SdC on that last go).
Churos and chocolate in the bar beside the last stamp! Absolutely! And so many places to eat. I always buy some quest de titillating to take home now...
I went to mass with Father a Domingo in the chapel at the pilgrim office last time. That was terribly moving for me...
I think a visit to the museum on the monastery is a good way to spend an afternoon....
And lots of people+watching.
(No specs on, can’t sleep, hope it’s legible).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, i have only arrived once in Santiago (so far), but some pleasures will stay in my mind for some time:

- There is extremely good seafood to be had at the bars around the market. It can be a bit pricy but for me was worth every cent. The Bar "Abastos 2.0" was particularly nice.
- We shared a very generous Queimada at the bar Fuco Lois not far from the cathedral. I was told, it can get quite busy there, but on our evening in June it was rather quiet. The bartender did a very nice job and was quite chatty about the "ceremony"... been fun and well worth the money.
- Icecream: Bico de Xeado. Locally sourced, organic and most importantly: very delicous.
- And i had an extremely nice AirBnB all for myself..

After our first camino, my wife and I went to a jewelry shop adjacent to the Cathedral and we each bought a small gold camino shell. After our next two caminos we went to the same shop and bought the same shells. We’ll continue this tradition following each successful camino.

By the way, I shaved my camino beard! Bob

Attachments

• 609D03A2-B935-4082-9AF6-C958C79D68AD.jpeg
    609D03A2-B935-4082-9AF6-C958C79D68AD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So far, I have only had the pleasure of arriving in Santiago once. Arrived too late to get my compostela that day, had a quick drink with Camino friend and went to find hostel. Stayed at the SQC auberge, José a great host. Following day all restaurants/bars closed because of rising Covid numbers. Managed to meet other friends when I went for my compostela, but nowhere to sit for coffee. Wonderful evening meal cooked by Italian friends and amazing Spanish family made a great ending to what was turning into a quiet weekend.

The market - It is so spectacular - we have nothing like it in our small southern California city of Poway.

I am thinking that I need some way to identify myself to other forum members in the bar or restaurant of San Martin Pinario, as I do not have my pack with my forum patch with me there. In the past, the bar was where the wifi was and the bar was for pilgrims, so there was some chance to meet other pilgrims there. I generally choose solitary and long caminos, so after walking for a couple of months I am ready for some company. I wonder if the bar will even be open, if I arrive there this November. I am hoping that things will gradually be returning to normal by then.
The bar was closed in September 2020, when we stayed there and breakfast was in individually packed paper bags (no buffet).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having arrived in Santiago multiple times ( also once as " regular tourist " ) I do not visit the cathedral anymore but I prefer to attend Mass ( or just visit the church ) of San Agustin, the Jesuit church.

My favourite places to stay the night are :
Pension Hortas at Rua Hortas.
Hostal Suso.

If possible visit to Egeria House and Sybille.

Always a visit to the quaint small shop ( forgot the name ) on the corner of Praza de San Miguel dos Agros that sells gorgeous handmade produce ( scarfs , bags etc )

Pintxos at Bispo or Petiscos do Cardeal. Always at the barside btw.

Early drinks at Casa das Crechas;

Strolling around town. Especially in the evening listening to a wonderful Tuna.

Last edited:
Another wonderful way to spend some time in Santiago is to visit the marvelous City of Culture Museum (https://www.cidadedacultura.gal). A bit of a hike outside of the centre of Saniago, this is a spectacular facility with permanent and temporary exhibitions. The modern building itself is a masterpiece of stonework. My husband and I spent an afternoon there following our first Camino and have often talked about a return visit. Highly recommended.

Oh, I forgot. I always head out to the Decathlon store (not the little shop in the new town, the big store in the northeastern outskirts part of town) and look for something new, fresh and on sale to wear home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first Camino, white I liked best to do was put my hand in the hand-shaped depression on the pillar in the Portico of Glory but apparently that is no longer allowed. More recently, I visit to Pilgrim House has been de rigeur. You win some you lose some.

Another favourite thing to do in Santiago is to hag around the Plaza de Obradoiro and watch the pilgrims come in.

There’s a little bar next door to The Last Stamp albergue (not a bad place to stay), which serves a delightful hot chocolate and churros. It’s usually my final decadent treat, since walking is over and calories start to count themselves again.

I usually visit the cathedral at least 3 times per day and catch at least one mass.
Cafe Bar Metate?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found that the Museo do Pobo Galego was fascinating and not at all crowded (Sept 2019).
I love the staircase in the museum. We went to the museum to ask about some music we had heard while walking after Arzua, near a Brea I believe. It was a cafe with tia in the name, but I can't remember it now. I don't think she is there anymore. Anyway, I told the woman that the music she was playing reminded me of the music that my Irish grandmother played when I was a child. She told me in no uncertain terms that of course it was the same, as everyone knows that the Galicians left for Ireland. She then told me to go to the museum to find out where I could purchase a CD. The woman at the reception desk tried to explain where I could go, and I didn't truly understand so I asked her to write the address down so we could find the store. She, also in no uncertain terms told me no, that she would explain and I would understand. She did and I did, we found the store and purchased Carlos Nunez and Milladoiro CD's. I listen to them and can't wait until we can return. :) 🥾 🎶

I love the staircase in the museum. We went to the museum to ask about some music we had heard while walking after Arzua, near a Brea I believe. It was a cafe with tia in the name, but I can't remember it now. I don't think she is there anymore. Anyway, I told the woman that the music she was playing reminded me of the music that my Irish grandmother played when I was a child. She told me in no uncertain terms that of course it was the same, as everyone knows that the Galicians left for Ireland. She then told me to go to the museum to find out where I could purchase a CD. The woman at the reception desk tried to explain where I could go, and I didn't truly understand so I asked her to write the address down so we could find the store. She, also in no uncertain terms told me no, that she would explain and I would understand. She did and I did, we found the store and purchased Carlos Nunez and Milladoiro CD's. I listen to them and can't wait until we can return. :) 🥾 🎶

That reminded me of something else that I enjoyed in my times visiting SdC. I found this old post of mine:
--------------
I was going through a few souvenirs that I had shipped home from SdC, and I found a couple of CDs that I had purchased from the JazzMan while he was performing near the Cathedral. I've had the chance to spend time talking with him in while in Santiago the last two years after finishing Camino. The guy has a great performance resume that includes working at clubs and as a recording studio guitarist (same as Glenn Campbell did before he became known and famous).

Anyway, it has been great to pop them into the CD transport, crank up the volume through the Bowers and Wilkins speakers, and just sit back, listen, and reminisce about SdC.

A couple of more recent YouTube clips I tracked down of the guy performing in SdC. They do not do justice to his playing :)

Last edited:
I too am a Hospederia San Martin Pinario fan - staying there in a pilgrim room the last 4 times I've arrived. I've also enjoyed staying at Pension Linares (before they renovated), Hostal Anosa Casa and for a treat, the Hotel Montenegro.

I always try to have at least 2 days to wander Santiago, visiting favourite cafes and shops - most importantly - the Libreria Vetusta on Rua Nova. Stopping in to say hello to Ivar and Nate & Faith at the Pilgrim House. Twice I've had the chance to attend a free noon hour concert at the beautiful Teatro Principal. A walk through the Alameda and the Mercado de Abastos. Museums I've enjoyed - Casa la Troya, Museum of Pilgrimage, Museo del Pueblo Gallego, Cathedral Museum (and roof top tour).

A favourite thing to do is walk through the deserted streets at dawn, visit the Cathedral at opening when it's quiet, breakfast at Cafe Agarimo and then sit against a pillar of the Pazo de Raxoi on the Praza do Obradoiro, watching pilgrims arrive and the pilgrim's mass at noon.

Evenings, it's wonderful to wander and enjoy the energy of the city and listen to any music that's happening.

This is an earlier thread that has some great Santiago info:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Stay at Hospideria San Martin Pinario, eat 20 bowls of cornflakes for breakfast, go back to bed in a post-cornflake haze, wake up and find a nice coffee somewhere (I like Hostal Suso...excellent coffee and croissants). For dinner, a juicy burger. The meat in Galicia is outstanding and after walking for a month or more, I don't blink twice at scarfing down a burger with a caña. There's nice enough place on the way to the Pilgrim's office called Cañadú Outra. The burger, fries and beer are a good memory. Then gelato and wander.

**EDIT La Pepita Burger Bar is THE place for burgers in Santiago. Visited them on my last camino and died and went to burger heaven.

And of course, swing by the lovely Pilgrim House, where one can always expect a warm welcome from @natefaith and company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually ... for me it was ice cream too. There was a place with great ice cream right in the centre run by a German, selling Italian style ice cream.
Besides that, I simply like historic city centres so I did a lot of walking around and looking :)

I *hope* to reach Santiago in October of this year. It'll be my first time, so I'm mostly just dreaming, but what I *want* to do:

- eat all the ice cream because everybody mentioning the gelato here has made me want some!
- take out my sketchbook and sketch the cathedral
- wander the streets, happy I can just rest whenever I want to, haha
- get a final, permanent sello in the form of a shell tattoo on my ankle
- try and see if I can find a suitable charm for my Pandora bracelet (I collect them as souvenirs on my travel, got one in Assisi, Venice, Siena, too)
- buy a rosary since I collect them - I bought one in Lourdes, Rome (twice, one 'plain' one and one for the 2016 Holy Year), Assisi, Siena, Venice, New York, Reims, Chartres and Kevelaar. Obviously I need a Santiago one, too!
- celebrate my birthday! :D

Last edited:
I can hardly believe that nobody has mentioned Café Paradiso, 29 Rúa do Vilar. My favourite place in Santiago. Mine host, Agustín, is very friendly, but speaks little English. The mirrored walls make this a spectacular place. My vote also goes to Hospedería San Martín Pinario, the Alameda, and the church of San Martín.

Attachments

• 1-3rd sd disc 277.JPG
    1-3rd sd disc 277.JPG
    333.1 KB · Views: 60
Loved reading these and pretty much agree with them all.

By far my favorite thing is to just walk, wander, have coffee, meals and while doing so meet and wave and eat and drink with other pilgrims.
'How are you! I think I last saw you in Astorga sharing that great dinner!'
For a few days as I seem to know so many, I feel like a local in this wonderful small town. I don't know of anything or anywhere else like that?

Of course the ice cream, and just sitting in Obradoiro Square are highlights too.

One thing I really enjoy that I haven't seen on this thread yet is the Cathedral roof walk!
The history (pilgrims used to use the roof), the unique views, and after the walk the access to other areas in the building all make it worthwhile I think?

My husband is my roadie when I walk (bad back for him so no long distance walking), so he stations himself in the Praza to get the picture of my arrival. Then we head someplace for a restorative glass of wine (last two times were at the outdoor terrace at the Parador - lots of pilgrim watching available from there!). We always stay at the Hotel San Miguel, so we head there so I can shower and put on real clothes before we head out for tapas at Cervantes - our tradition. I buy a piece of silver jewelry somewhere along the way, because tradition as well. In the morning I get up early to head to the Pilgrims' Office, and the walk is sublime, with the city quiet, the shopkeepers just setting up and sweeping their stoops. After the Pilgrims' Office, it's off to the Cathedral to hug Santiago and thank him for another safe trip.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Casa Manalo in plaza cervantes. Great meals, outstanding prices and owned by a former pilgrim. We've eaten many times.

I really loved exploring the museums and all the different churches. You can take a tour of the cathedral roof, which I did twice once in Spanish and once in English. San Martin Pinario has an amazing museum. Roaming the centró de Ciudad was fun. Visiting the university and Casa Ivar. Good eats over that way...

I stayed there a couple times. First time had a sunset view of the cathedral!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

The San Martin Pinario is the best place to stay in Santiago.... I just love having a bed with clean sheets in my own little pilgrim room.... great buffet breakfast and a great bar to sit and relax in and have a glass or two of vinho.... it’s great to wander the streets and pop in for tapas in the various restaurants around.... meeting up with fellow Peregrinos/Peregrinas, going to the cathedral, being silent, taking time to ponder.... I love Santiago, I think it’s a wonderful city.... hopefully later this year in September/October I’ll get to walk the Invierno..... lovely memories ☘️🇮🇪

Do not miss La Casa de la Troya, a former student boarding house from the late 19th century, now a museum. The architecture and decoration of this historic guesthouse allow the visitor to understand the university life in Santiago which Alejandro Pérez Lugín portrayed in his novel “La Casa de la Troya” seen through the eyes of Gerardo Roquer and his fellow students.

Sleep

I like to sit on the Obradoiro square pilgrim watching, and offering to take photos of people who arrive alone. Sometimes a selfie just doesn't do it!
I also like having a room, with a door, preferably at Pinario, and stuffing myself with seafood and albariño and walking from square to square just soaking up the atmosphere. One favourite breakfast spot is the bar restaurant on the corner down the ramp from Obradoiro, where you can see early pilgrims go back and forth to get their compostelas, and some head straight on to Finisterre. And in the evening, long tapas meals with people I have met along the way, trying not to think about going home.

I like to sit on the Obradoiro square pilgrim watching, and offering to take photos of people who arrive alone.
I like heading to the pilgrim's office and having surprise meetings other Forum members along the way.
;) 🙏
(@nidarosa, that made my day!)

And...there's so much to like in Santiago that I need days after a camino: attending the English-speaking mass that Fr. Manny offers, visiting the sisters welcome office upstairs from the pilgrim's office, dropping into Plgrim House, just sitting quietly in the cathedral, walking in Alameda Park...and connecting with friends over long sobremesas.

Not to mention a leasurely breakfast (if possible at least once at the Tertulia for assam tea and a wholemeal croissant).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first time we walked the camino, my wife and I went to a small jewelry store close to the Cathedral and purchased a gold camino shell for each of us to celebrate our successful camino. We wear the camino shell on our gold necklaces. This is now our arrival tradition. We now have three shells and hope to add a fourth this October.BBA0B299-D268-4916-A6FF-795AE7B7185A.jpeg

The first time we walked the camino, my wife and I went to a small jewelry store close to the Cathedral and purchased a gold camino shell for each of us to celebrate our successful camino. We wear the camino shell on our gold necklaces. This is now our arrival tradition. We now have three shells and hope to add a fourth this October.View attachment 100263
Wonderful, thank you - i was wondering where to find something like this ! 😊

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

yes to S. Martin, Yes to gelato, YES to chocolate & churros, BIG YES to Pilgrim House.

Loved reading these replies.

Some mentioned it, others didn't:

How long did you stay in Santiago before heading home or elsewhere?

As many know, the Parador Hotel faces the square in front of the Cathedral. Oddly, it has only one room on the square itself. It is of course, the Royal Suite. On a complete whim, I booked it for three days for my third arrival in Santiago. The cost was eyewatering, but it was kind of cool to stay in a real Royal Suite.

My favorite activity for those three days became opening the French Doors to the balcony and taking a chair outside to sit and watch other pilgrims arrive. Some ran from the tunnel to the center of the square. Others danced their way there. Some broke down in tears and fell to their knees before completing the last few steps.

There were small groups, large groups, individuals, couples, and families. Some lingered for hours in the square waiting for others to arrive. Some people quickly left in the direction of Pilgrim's Office. A few barely broke strides as they marched through the square on their way to Finistère. Occasionally, there would be screams of joy as pilgrims reunited with someone they had not seen in days or even weeks. The uniqueness of each arrival was fascinating. Regardless of their age, nationality, or reaction to entering the square, I enjoyed each one.

My favorite activity for those three days became opening the French Doors to the balcony and taking a chair outside to sit and watch other pilgrims arrive. Some ran from the tunnel to the center of the square. Others danced their way there. Some broke down in tears and fell to their knees before completing the last few steps.

That would be fun!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back