• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to do in the shower?

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Well, yes. Get clean, if that's possible.
But does anyone have a nifty lightweight solution for the small curtain-less albergue shower stalls that don't have hooks or anyplace to hang clothes or valuables so they won't get wet??

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A dry sack suspended by a short cord and carabiner or S-biner hooked back onto the cord to form a loop --- I used curtain rods, door handles, towel bars, etc. I never found a case where there wasn't something that could be used. Once I hooked it on a towel hook on the outside of the stall and then closed shower door with the bag on the inside, kind of like a clamp.

If all else fails, a dry sack can sit on the floor and everything inside will stay, well, dry. But, there is usually something for clothes, which means something can be rigged.

Of course, fair enough, kiolife. I never thought of that, because I don't have a dry sack and probably won't go out an buy one.
I guess I was fishing for a more technical solution! Some kind of portable hook or...

BTW, is this just my pet peeve? The number of times I've gone into the shower and looked around helplessly for a place to put toiletries, towels, clothes...well, almost every time. I find I automatically rate an albergue based in part on whether there are hooks in the showers! Stupid, I know...but...:D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I go with kolife. As part of my packing regime I use different coloured dry bags and when it comes to clothes I have one for clean and one for dirty stuff anyway. I use a shoelace and a carabiner when necessary. The shoelace being a spare if I break one.

No idea. I live in England remember. We have many different hiking outlets but no Decathlon so have never needed to buy one in Spain or France. On the subject of dry bags I have a small(ish) one in which I hold my sleeping bag liner and glass case during the day and then at night I keep it under my pillow with the glass case along with my valuables (money/documents/phone). In case anyone is the least bit interested.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a very light, cheap but large plastic hook. Saw it somewhere and the lightbulb went on. The hook is large enough to fit over a door or shower stall wall. Although I did not bother taking it last time - I do not use it often enough to make it worth carrying, not because of the weight but because I like to keep things simple.

I have a small(ish) one in which I hold my sleeping bag liner and glass case during the day and then at night I keep it under my pillow with the glass case along with my valuables (money/documents/phone). In case anyone is the least bit interested.
The convergence of dryness and what to do with valuables...........good one, Al. Thank you.
Anyone out there tried to get one in Spain?

I have a very light, cheap but large plastic hook. Saw it somewhere and the lightbulb went on. The hook is large enough to fit over a door or shower stall wall.
Ah, thanks Kanga...that kind of thing is what I was thinking of.
Al's drybags may have the edge, though--they've got a diversity of usefulness.

Viranani,
Find a list of all Decathlon shops in Spain here !

Another good trick is to use 2 Zip-lock plastic bags for your toiletries. Take into the shower one filled with only what you need showering. When you exit dry it off after drying yourself and put the shower sac in the dry Zip-lock. Works great!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another good trick is to use 2 Zip-lock plastic bags for your toiletries.
Margaret has the right of it. The issue is that the solution be waterproof, which Ziplock accomplishes. It doesn't even need to be submergible; a syl-nylon stuff sack would work fine too. A quick scan of amazon.co.uk shows lots of waterproof stuff sacks and dry sacks running for a few pounds (£) at most.
BTW, is this just my pet peeve? The number of times I've gone into the shower and looked around helplessly for a place to put toiletries, towels, clothes...well, almost every time. I find I automatically rate an albergue based in part on whether there are hooks in the showers! Stupid, I know...but...:D
No, you're not alone on this one. I tend to be annoyed proportionate to my exhaustion level. It's silly, but I'm not bothered nearly as much by a cold shower as no place to hang my clothes. I generally put it down to the people who manage the albergue having never been pilgrims.

One other thought following on the carabiner idea. A couple extra biners attached along the cord, and you have your own set of makeshift hooks.

Last edited:
Margaret, you are (as usual) a font of useful information!
This idea of 2 ziplocks neatly solves the soggy toiletry bag problem, thank you! (Now why didn't I think of that? It's so simple.)
A couple extra biners attached along the cord, and you have your own set of makeshift hooks.
Oh, that's a great idea, koilife! I've got a few of the lightweight kind, like for keys.
And the lack of hooks, benches, or what have you...yes. exactly. I never thought of it, but tired grubbiness definitely adds to the potential for irritation in this realm. A good place to learn a little patience, I guess. :oops:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Big, heavy-duty zip-lock bag that will hold the valuables. You can put that into any manner of bag or soft case that has something on it you can clip on a cheap carabiner to. It seemed like all the albergue showers had some type of hook or rod that I clip my valuable bag to within reach and sight while I showered, and the bag never really got wet. The zip-lock waterproof is just for insurance.

No idea. I live in England remember. We have many different hiking outlets but no Decathlon so have never needed to buy one in Spain or France. On the subject of dry bags I have a small(ish) one in which I hold my sleeping bag liner and glass case during the day and then at night I keep it under my pillow with the glass case along with my valuables (money/documents/phone). In case anyone is the least bit interested.
There's a Decathlon near me in Southampton. Always worth checking them out for affordable gear.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There's a Decathlon near me in Southampton. Always worth checking them out for affordable gear.
Oh! Who knew Decathlon had arrived in UK!! I am exiled in Ireland at the moment, but will head to one when I am over. Oh! I see there is one in Belfast!

Well, I'll see what I can cobble together. Here even zip-locs are a challenge. And no Decathlons here yet (Thank goodness; it is still 'different') ;) I see from Margaret's list the one in Burgos, and it's huge--it shows up on Google Earth!--but also a ways out of town well off the Camino.

Well, yes. Get clean, if that's possible.
But does anyone have a nifty lightweight solution for the small curtain-less albergue shower stalls that don't have hooks or anyplace to hang clothes or valuables so they won't get wet??
Take a friend :p or get a S hook from a sporting goods store. I carry a plastic hook with a swivel clip at the bottom. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ha ha. You can try that, UT, I'm not biting. :D
Seriously...I have more complicated clothes than most and so am glad for all the suggestions...even the tongue-in-cheek ones.
You're right, all I need is a pair of board shorts and I'm all set for the laundry or shower or nap. Good suction cup hooks work great and the weigh almost nothing but I kept leaving them on the walls, doors and mirrors in the restrooms when I was done done :(. The plastic hooks that go over doors work good and I have heard that people have used the big GearTie, a reusable rubber twist tie made by NiteIze. You just bend them to fit your needs and straighten them when you are done. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have to say, @VN , the title of the post got me wondering).
Hee hee. There are 10,000 interpretations of everything. It could be as easily be a need for simple instruction as anything: here, I have just a bucket and a dipper.
Well, truth be told, I am not beneath click-bait. You don't get answers unless people read the post. And the more people, the more answers.:D

Just being honest, Brian. :oops:
But I have to say it worked. You all have come up with all sorts of creative ideas...! Thanks and happy albergue showers everyone: may your clothes remain dry and the water stay warm...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Of course, fair enough, kiolife. I never thought of that, because I don't have a dry sack and probably won't go out an buy one.
I guess I was fishing for a more technical solution! Some kind of portable hook or...

I think this was my number one pet peeve at some albergues. And turned away more than once from a shower stall that had nowhere to place my stuff. But I have taken note of these forum idea's. I did purchase a few days ago the Nite Ize Gear Ties assortment box, and have tested it to make a hook to hold the lumbar pack (which holds valuable and camera, and comes into the shower with me) It hold's the weight fine. I will also use for other purposes such as clothes line, and bring extra as pilgrim gift's. Also am a big fan of the 2.5 gallon (jumbo) Hefty ziploc bags with a slider. I will bring extra for the shower, and lumbar pack can fit inside. I use the 2.5 gallon size for sleeping bag, rolled up and compressed of air, and then sealed. Same for all my clothing. They are lightweight and cheap.
They do have portable foldable clothes hangers, but they didn't quite fit the bill somehow.
A simple hook, or two hooks, doesn't seem like too much for this humble grateful pilgrim to ask for. And I remain grateful to the many hospitalieros, who work so hard, and give so much to the Camino.

Janice

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.