• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to do with an extra few days

Diane Booth

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2018)
Hello, I have given myself some wiggle room with end date, I may have 3 or 4 days between arrival in Santiago and my flight home. Any recommendations or thoughts on what to do with those days? Where would you go? What would you do with that time? I am planning on Finisterre, not sure if it will be walking or by bus, again depending on time and inclination to walk. I have a feeling that my mood will be one of reflection and perspective.

I begin April 25, and end June 24th, yes a slow Camino, happy retirement to me, my gift was 60 days to myself.

Diane

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Watching with interest.... we plan to arrive in SdC 4 days before our return flight, and have booked an apartment. Finisterre definitely on our agenda, as none of us have been before. Hoping there was a bus....

One option:
Take a bus to Finisterre, walk a day (or 2) to Muxia, take a bus back to SdC.
Both F & M are lovely towns, with plenty to see & do, and eat & drink...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, I have given myself some wiggle room with end date, I may have 3 or 4 days between arrival in Santiago and my flight home. Any recommendations or thoughts on what to do with those days? Where would you go? What would you do with that time? I am planning on Finisterre, not sure if it will be walking or by bus, again depending on time and inclination to walk. I have a feeling that my mood will be one of reflection and perspective.

I begin April 25, and end June 24th, yes a slow Camino, happy retirement to me, my gift was 60 days to myself.

Diane

The way to Finisterre and Muxia is so much quiter than the main caminos that I think it does give plenty of opportunity for reflection. For me at least that is especially true as you get your first sight of the ocean and the reality of having come so far sinks in. If you can find a quiet spot at Finisterre Lighthouse (increasingly difficult) as the sun sets that can also make for some poignant, if a tad cheesy moments.

Spending a few days in Porto would also come high on my list of recommendations. Easy, quickish and cheap to get to by coach and a fascinating city.

Buen Camino and Happy Retirement,

Rob.

If you had the time I'd head to Porto too.just chilling around outside that cathedral is good too sdc is good for a day but you will have seen it all n aday

The way to Finisterre and Muxia is so much quiter than the main caminos that I think it does give plenty of opportunity for reflection. For me at least that is especially true as you get your first sight of the ocean and the reality of having come so far sinks in. If you can find a quiet spot at Finisterre Lighthouse (increasingly difficult) as the sun sets that can also make for some poignant, if a (oops deleted that and didn't mean to)

Buen Camino and Happy Retirement,

Rob.

After the busy and hectic time in Santiago I think that walk on to Finisterre really made it special for us. It was the quiet and deserted beach at Finisterre which provided the real sense of completion for me.
Morning bus back to Santiago on the following day, a night stop there and then train journeys next day (all day!) to Santander and finally a ferry home from there provided time to adjust.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
1) See the Cathedral
2) Take the roof top tour
3) See the Museu de Pobo Gallego (fantastic free folk museum)
4) Visit the open market
5) Hire a taxi (€100-120) to take you and 3 other pilgrims to Finisterra - see the lighthouse and the coast - then to Muxia - have lunch - then back to Santiago. A day trip to see both places and cheaper than taking the bus.
6) Go shopping in Santiago - visit outside the old city and see some of the fantastic NEWER shops
7) See the other fantastic churches in Santiago
8) Book a Queimada

Lots of ideas for you, Diane. Once you are on the way, you will find your own...

Last edited by a moderator:
We visited Finisterre at the end of our Camino, traveled out by Taxi, with 4 (by that stage) of us it was cheaper than the bus. We had two nights there and didn't want to leave

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Diane

Lots of good suggestions here from others. I would only add that it's good you are keeping your options open. You have allowed yourself plenty of time to walk (good plan - from a fellow slow walker!!) at a beautiful time of year, and over the course of those weeks you may find you need to take an extra day here or there - to rest a sore foot, see a special place - or even that you move along more quickly than expected. As you say - you may have 3 or 4 days - or you may even have more! As you approach the end you'll have a better idea of how much time you'll be left with, if any - and you'll be able to turn to the suggestions made here on this thread for ideas.

Personally, I love Santiago - there's lots to see there, and you're in easy reach of other interesting places you could visit for a day or more while you're there. I'll add a vote for spending time in Santiago itself and visiting the museums (especially the Museo do Pobo Galego), the Mercado de Abastos, the parks, and just wandering the streets.

Buen Camino!

Diane
Hi Diane
If you have the chance to rent a car for a bit more freedom to go to Finisterre , you could visit Marthas Beach just before Finisterre, 100m off the camino route , Nenina Beach ( beautifull in June and almost empty about 9 km from Finisterre). There is a restaurant at the right end then 3km of unspoilt sand to walk and reflect.

Or "Faro Tourina" (i beleive the nearest point to USA) There is also "Caldeiras Do Castro", also not far from Finisterre and fantastic for a cool off in June, quiet and very peaceful.

Either way whatever you do enjoy your time on the Caminio(s) and happy retirement :):)

Diane
Great time to take rest days in cities that are of interest and look about..that's what I do. Last year I stayed two days in Ponteferra. I had time and decided to stay here stayed at a BB and loved it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Diane
Consider visiting Porto Portugal. You can take a bus from SDC and back. I did it two years ago and loved it. I took a fay tour to a winery up the Douro River Valley. Highly recommend it. You may be surprised and have more time at the end than you think. In 2016 at 59, I allowed 70 days and I did it in 45. This year allowing 8 weeks for Del Norte to Finesterra then a week in Porto. Buen Camino Diane!

Thanks for all the great suggestions, very helpful and will definitely be going to take the advice. Thanks again, 2 weeks to go so things really start to speed up getting ready now, bit of panic mode setting in.

Agreed, some good suggestions...and perhaps allow yourself to not make any plans. Un-plan!

I think after a long pilgrimage, Santiago is a wonderful city in which to explore, relax and reflect. It is possible to find quiet places (lovely gardens around the monasteries and museums) and of course, there are many varying cafes.

It takes time to feel the pulse and spirit of a place. If it wasn't for the fact that I spent several weeks as a volunteer, I would assume Santiago de Compostela is just "bustle". It is much more and may it weave its magic for you....buen camino Diane!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back