• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to do with hair!

Rachie Bee

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018
Hello!

I’m doing my first ever Camino in March and I’m sure this has been asked a thousand times but what do you all do with your hair?

Mine is very long, thick and goes frizzy. Obviously I won’t be taking a hairdryer so I was wondering how you all dried it? I’m worried I’ll catch a head cold from having a wet head all the time! Eek!

Thank you for reading!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello!

I’m doing my first ever Camino in March and I’m sure this has been asked a thousand times but what do you all do with your hair?

Mine is very long, thick and goes frizzy. Obviously I won’t be taking a hairdryer so I was wondering how you all dried it? I’m worried I’ll catch a head cold from having a wet head all the time! Eek!

Thank you for reading!
I also have long, thick hair that tends to frizziness without blow drying. I walked during the summer both times, so I didn't really have much trouble with wet hair. After my shower I put my hair in my buff, while I dried off, and that took some of the moisture out. It shouldn't be that much of a problem in March though. Besides, you can't catch a cold from wet hair. :p

Most people shower when they arrive at an albergue, so there is plenty of time for your hair to dry naturally before bed. And of course, you don't have to wash it everyday. I washed mine every 3 or 4 days. If it was sunny and warm, I made sure to wash it, then sit outside and let it dry. If it was a cold and/or wet day, I just didn't wash it - unless I stayed in a hotel, which I did about once a week - then I took an extra long hot shower, and washed and dried my hair. Occasionally I washed my hair when it was too cold to comfortably go around with wet hair until it dried, so I just wrapped it in my buff and went about the rest of my day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My advice would be to take enough shampoo and especially good conditioner with you for the road. Don't go for easier options of just having one bar or soap for everything that some people do to get the load lighter. And a good towel or two. On my first Camino I took only one small light towel for body and hair and regretted not having another one to dry my heir properly. And conditioner ran out faster then I expected as well. Have a shower first thing you arrive to the albergue, then you have enough time to dry it.

My advice would be to take enough shampoo and especially good conditioner with you for the road. Don't go for easier options of just having one bar or soap for everything that some people do to get the load lighter. And a good towel or two. On my first Camino I took only one small light towel for body and hair and regretted not having another one to dry my heir properly. And conditioner ran out faster then I expected as well. Have a shower first thing you arrive to the albergue, then you have enough time to dry it.

With all respect but one soap for everything and one towel is perfectly doable.
Easier options are always better in my book.
Less is indeed more.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think the problem will solve by itself once you are in the Camino!! :) :)

Remember rule one: Not too much weight!!! This rule prevents you of taking too many shampoos, conditioners, gels, etc...

Also is advisable to take a shower when you arrive to the albergue. First because you will need it :), second is because it is not a good idea to take showers just before you start walking. Your feet will then never be 100% dry and this is a well known cause of blisters.

Buen camino & Ultreia!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just take an extra small travel towel for my hair as well as the larger one for general use. My hair is short so drying it isn't a problem but I do take 200ml of shampoo and only a small piece of soap. The shampoo doubles as shower gel. The small soap is for washing clothes, although shampoo works for that too.

I walked the CP in late October and I also have long hair. Getting it dry was a concern for me as well, as I do not like to go to sleep with wet hair! I feel like I can't get warm enough to feel comfy. What I did was to wash it immediately as I got to the albergue, then leave it wrapped in the towel (I only took one towel with me, one of those sport type towel that dry you very fast and weight almost nothing, and having almost no volume as an object whatsoever). Then I would try to dry it even more with the towel and leave it to air dry. I did not wash it everyday, but I'm happy to say that it was always dry when I went to bed.
Style wise I would leave it as it is because most of the days I walked with my hat on and then would just brush it as normal. Nothing else. I don't style it at home anyway, so was a natural option for me.

Also I was lucky because despite the season, I only got sunny days!

This is not a problem Scott ever encountered... But I have long hair and have to tie it up or the heat gets to me... Pigtails, sometimes in platts for days worked well. Failing that on the route from Cartehenga were I knew we would be sleeping out most nights I shaved my head to avoid having to worry about it. Worked a treat and only took a couple of years to regrow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thanks all for your great advice!

Oh and just so you know...I’m British so I have an acute sense of sarcasm!

The head cold from wet hair comment, was me making fun of that common myth! Haha!

I just wanted to know what everyone did. My concern was that I’d have to go to sleep with wet hair! I think I’ll defini get a sports towel to wrap it in and I’ve also got a buff. Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
While I do not sport long hair, I can add to the excellent ideas above:

1. Maybe trim or cut you hair before the Camino to make it easier to care for and dry
2. Maybe bring a microfiber towel or even a specially made hair wrap to dry hair apres-shower
3. If staying in a commercial lodging, anything above a public albergue, ask at check-in if they might have a "secador del pelo" (sec-ah-door dehl pay-low). That is dryer for hair in Spanish. The full phrase would be "Tienes una secador del pelo?"

You would be surprised how many women just accept each day on Camino as a 'bad hair" day. Usually, you see them with a Buff or other sort of hair scarf or stretch band tying their hair back. They just rough it.;)

Hope this helps.

The full phrase would be "Tienes una secador del pelo?"

Not to derail the thread too much, but I’ve just started learning Spanish, and would like this phrase clarified please.

I know some French, so I understand the “Tu” and “Vous” for “You”.

Isn’t “Tienes” the familiar form of “do you have”? Wouldn’t you use the polite form “Tienen” when speaking to a receptionist? Or am I confused?
Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not to derail the thread too much, but I’ve just started learning Spanish, and would like this phrase clarified please.

Isn’t “Tienes” the familiar form of “do you have”? Wouldn’t you use the polite form “Tienen” when speaking to a receptionist? Or am I confused?
Jill

The correct formal form would be '(Usted) tiene..' ;)

Jill
In Spain you would use the familiar form when addressing most anyone, except someone very senior to you or the king. :) At least that is what I was taught when I took a Spanish course in Barcelona.

And actually you can just say "¿hay una secadora de pelo?" (is there a hair dryer?)
You may notice there there are often signs in bars and other places saying things like "hay tortilla" rather than "tenemos tortilla".

I am not a native speaker, but learned Spanish in South America where the formal "usted" is used except for children or people you know well. However, in Spain it seems that the familiar "tu" and "vosotros" is the norm. I find it easier to use the formal, though (one less conjugation to learn!) I've been told that the Spaniards are fine with either.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, I guess this should not evolve into a thread on Spanish grammar and Spanish cultural norms, but I was also under the impression, that in Spain, when in any doubt, you use the formal (usted/ustedes) form. Maybe some of the native speakers can enlighten us..?

And by the way, @t2andreo, pronouncing ‘pelo’ as ‘pay-low’ is very American :)

Jill

Tienes is the familiar or informal form of saying "you have." Adding the questioning lilt to your statement turns it into a question....do you have... The formal form I believe is "usted tiene..." The informal form is "tu tiene." But "tienes" is also used, instead of "tu tiene." That said, hay is also correct.

At least this is the way I am learning it. I am still learning. I was just trying to help...

"Tienen," I believe refers to multiples. For example, "do they have a hair dryer" might be "¿tienen un secador de pelo."

That said:

1. I am not a fluent or native speaker. I too am still learning and just trying to offer help. I added what I did, because no one else had, at that point, offered a simple phrase that would help.

2. I happily accept all grammatic advice and corrections.

Hope this helps.

" The informal form is "tu tiene." But "tienes" is also used, instead of "tu tiene."

You wouldn't use tiene with tú. Tienes means you (informal) have. Tiene means you (formal), he or she has. You can't mix tiene with tú. Just like you can't say yo tiene. You must use the properly conjugated form of tener (to have), which is tengo, when you want to say I have.

I have - Yo tengo
You (formal), he or she have - usted, él o ella tiene
You (informal) have - tú tienes
We have - nosotros(as) tenemos
They have or you(as a formal group) have - ellos, ellas or ustedes tienen
You (as an informal group) have - vosotros tenéis

Of course this is all just present tense...

Hi Rachie Bee, I have long fine hair and despite all the evidence telling me it's impossible to get a cold from wet hair - I tend to end up with head colds from wet hair too.

No reason why you can't take a hairdryer... I went on a trip in November (not a camino) and a lady there took her hairdryer and was immediately everyone's best friend because when we got wet and cold it was the best thing ever - dried our shoes/clothes and warmed up our chilly damp room! A Babyliss Travel 2000 is 427g an ipad is 730g... all depends on your priorities but donate some extra money for the electricity.

If you finish walking early in the day and shower there will be time for your hair to dry naturally. Those microfibre turbans - around 60g for a light one - also do a good job and dry quickly. A lot of people take a lot of stuff on their caminos, it might not be sensible but most people seem to survive ok. You can have a back to basics experience if that's what you but you can choose to carry more.

Helen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Less is indeed more.
I did just fine with just "one" bar and "one" small towel for everything. I loved the "less is more" approach as it was so much easier.

Hello!

Thank you for reading!
Every year, before I go on Camino, I get a Brazillian Blowout. It is expensive! But I don't have to worry about blow drying my hair, it dries much faster and there is NO FRIZZ. Get one of those little hair towels they sell in beauty shops - they're super absorbent and very lightweight and fast drying.
And many albuergues have a blow dryer. You'll worry about it less than you think.

I like my bar shampoo so much that it's all that I use now.
Hi Trecile - could you let me know what brand of bar shampoo you use please? I'd be really interested to know. Perhaps you could PM me as I'm not sure if the Mods are keen to see brand names publicly.
Thanks and cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Every year, before I go on Camino, I get a Brazillian Blowout. It is expensive! But I don't have to worry about blow drying my hair, it dries much faster and there is NO FRIZZ. Get one of those little hair towels they sell in beauty shops - they're super absorbent and very lightweight and fast drying.
And many albuergues have a blow dryer. You'll worry about it less than you think.
I would be much more concerned about the risks of cancer for the Brazilian keratein treatement that any curls. Those are some nasty chemicals in there.

For the recommendation to get a short cut to make your hair easier to deal with - I think that if you go very short, this works, but not if you go short-ish. Short-ish hair is the hardest to deal with on the Camino, especially for us curly girls - it just seems to need the most product and the most styling to look decent, and if it's not long enough put up, you are stuck with it. If it's super short, you are good - dries fast, not enough of it to really look freaky. If it is long enough to pull back in a bun or braid, you are good - it will take longer for your hair to dry, but if you keep it back, you won't have to wash it often.

€83,-
On my first camino in 2005 I had long hair, on my next and since then hairlength 1-2 cm!Daylylife was easier then!

Controlling my hair was not a problem...
Keep hair in a pony tail and don't wash as frequently.
The real problem was coming home looking like a skunk! :p

Um.. Is it just me or have I missed something as I thought getting a Brazilian was somethings else entirely.

€83,-
I vote for shaving it off as well. Really works well. No combs or brushes needed !!!!!!!!!!

Um.. Is it just me or have I missed something as I thought getting a Brazilian was somethings else entirely.
It’s a highly toxic keratin tratement that straighens hair permanently, or just about.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
First day into my camino, I washed it for the first time and realised I did not have a comb. So, not only I spent the next 6 days drying it naturally, but also not combing! (until we stopped in an inn that had those free plastic ones with the toiletry kit).

Sincerely? After one wash with conditioner (also from the inn`s toiletry kit) it was all good and all new. And no one ever thought anything about my hair - I was a pilgrim, a hiker, so that totally did not matter.

I work well dressed and with make up every day. It was weird in the beggining. I felt like I needed at least a lipstick, or some combing. Nah, walking almost 3 weeks with only sunscreen was one of the most freeing experiences ever! :)

Jenny Heesh.....the bar shampoo/soap I use is the Dark Blue one from the Lush shops here in Australia.

Hi Trecile - could you let me know what brand of bar shampoo you use please? I'd be really interested to know. Perhaps you could PM me as I'm not sure if the Mods are keen to see brand names publicly.
Jenny
I have actually bought shampoo bars from several Etsy sellers, and have been happy with all of them. I initially tried the "all natural" shampoo/soap bars, but I didn't like the way that they left my hair, and I'm too lazy to do an apple cider vinegar rinse, plus that's not too practical on the Camino. So I switched to the syndet type shampoo bars, which I believe are similar to the Lush bars, but less expensive.
Here are some that I've bought from. I'm sure that there are Etsy sellers in Australia selling similar bars.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ScenterSquare
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GetLathered
https://www.etsy.com/shop/LakeSuperiorSoap

And I've been using a conditioner bar from this seller: https://www.etsy.com/listing/543187...query=conditioner+bar&ref=shop_items_search_2

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Jenny
I second Lush. The shampoo bar is very sudsy (is that a word?) I also use their conditioning bar - no suds, doesn't feel like it is doing anything but I don't have a single knot after using it (better than my regular liquid conditioner). Apparently the soaps are very fresh so buy them a month or two in advance and keep them unwrapped to dry out before you begin using them. This way they last longer as they are harder. Have a look at their web site.

Hi. I walked in August, summer I know. I have long, frizzy knotty hair. I washed it every day as I wore a hat so I sweated profusely. I was completely covered up from the sun as have had lots of skin cancers in the past. It was the first time since I was a child that I didn't use hair conditioner. I just used shampoo and a child's plastic de tangler brush. I never use soap anyway so just used Nivea cream after the shower. I carried all my toiletries in a small bumbag around my waist as my small backpack was full. I did take a larger microfibres towel which was great for my hair.

Less is indeed more.

Yep! I'm a fan of the Lush shampoo bars. I use them for my hair and my washing. I'm getting a shorter haircut too. I have very long straight hair that will get pretty unruly anyway.

Hello!

I’m doing my first ever Camino de Santiago in March and I’m sure this has been asked a thousand times but what do you all do with your hair?

Mine is very long, thick and goes frizzy. Obviously I won’t be taking a hairdryer so I was wondering how you all dried it? I’m worried I’ll catch a head cold from having a wet head all the time during the Camino de Santiago! Eek!

Thank you for reading!

I would bring a small hairdryer with me during the trip, not only for the hair, but because during the Camino it will definitely rain and you will be able to dry your clothes and shoes, and it's a quick fix for when you need to wash and dry underwear. For me it's on the must-packing list.

I’ve walked two full Caminos and only saw one person using a blow dryer in an Albergue. It was unusal enough that I remember the person and the place. It’s really not needed. I walked both April/May and Sept./Oct. I just embraced my wild side (and used bands and barrettes.) One of my favorite things about the Camino is giving up the stuff...... it’s freeing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kept my fine, but thick, below shoulder hair braided all day, tucked up in my cap and washed every other day or so. Depended on if was a hot, sweaty day or not. It was usually dry by bedtime as we would walk around town or sit in the sun.
I brought shampoo and conditioner. The amount of weight is negligible.
Seems lots of people are bringing tiny blow dryers, so if you want to, see if you can find a lightweight travel one. Sometimes just a couple of minutes is enough to get your hair dried quicker.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello!

Thank you for reading!
use an extra buff for the hair*bulk* - this will keep wet hair collected on top whilst drying.
You might be looking like an African princess, however, but that is to be risked !

Buff for neck, use wool, for head use synthetic, I always carry extras!

Less is indeed more.

I'm not sure what texture your hair is, but my thick, wavy hair turns to frizzy straw if it's not babied with two types of conditioner (deep conditioner in the shower, then leave-in conditioner) and oil. And it saturates a towel on its own to the point that I can wring out the towel and get a stream of water. Yes, it's heavy to carry all of that, but I'd rather save weight elsewhere.

Buffs, braids, ponytails, get some dry shampoo there...more Buffs!

I would be much more concerned about the risks of cancer for the Brazilian keratein treatement that any curls. Those are some nasty chemicals in there.
Brazillian isn't Keratin.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello!

Thank you for reading!
You can cut it short, no one will know the difference. If you walk for five weeks your hair will be back to normal.

My main hair problem on the Camino is that my long, fine hair tangles in the wind - very, very fast. But if I braid it tightly every morning, and only undo it for washing and sleeping, it stays OK much longer - and seems to need less washing than at home.

Thanks, HeidiL - that's exactly my plan for my upcoming February-start. I've very long, fine hair, and plan to keep it in tight braids for as long as I can between washes (and Buff over it when it gets too unruly in between!).

You can cut it short, no one will know the difference. If you walk for five weeks your hair will be back to normal.
Says the man without long hair. ;)
I never found my long, thick wavy/frizzy hair to be a problem. Sometimes looking in a mirror was though. :D
When it was cool I left it down, and when it was hot I put it up in a clip.

€149,-
Hello!

Thank you for reading!
I have long thick dark hair. I wear it in two plaits during the day time to keep it out of my way and so the wind won't blow it around too much. I washed it about once a week which is normal for me. I never use a hair dryer at home so did not really think about it being wet. I just towel dry it a bit although that is not so effective with a tiny travel towel. Sometimes we stayed in a hotel so when we did I usually chose to wash it there so I could have a proper towel to help dry it. I only took one small shampoo to start the trip and then acquired more at hotels and other places we stayed (not in the albergues).

I'm not sure what texture your hair is, but my thick, wavy hair turns to frizzy straw if it's not babied with two types of conditioner (deep conditioner in the shower, then leave-in conditioner) and oil. And it saturates a towel on its own to the point that I can wring out the towel and get a stream of water. Yes, it's heavy to carry all of that, but I'd rather save weight elsewhere.

Sorry but your hair is just...hair.... I'm sure you can manage, somehow... try! :)

Heck, I still HAVE hair. SO all is well.
I do not sweat the small stuff. Keeping it clean and dry is definitely small stuff...o_O

My hair is curly and fairly short. I just have it extra short for the Camino and it is back to normal by the time I return home. However our daughter has long hair and keeps hers plaited during the day and dries it that way when needed as far as I know. (Goes to Africa not the Camino)

We all had similar sorts of questions before our first camino, or at least I did. Alas they were not about long or thick hair, but I was used to showering and washing my hair every morning. That’s what we do in Australia as a general rule. Well maybe not the hair stuff but usually the shower stuff. I’d done it for more years than I care to admit or remember. Found it almost impossible to contemplate showering in the afternoon, sleeping, and then walking the next morning. Huh? Turns out the camino teaches heaps of lessons. The least being that it’s OK to get up and go. So be reassured that it will be OK.
Buen camino, peregrina. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This year I met a english girl and she did it and she was still pretty
It's the eyes that you really notice when the hair is out of the picture.
And no need to really go radical with a razor. An extremely short cut will do the trick, and the freedom from hassle is delicious.

Last edited:
It's the eyes that you really notice when the hair is out of the picture.
And no need to really go radical wiht a razor. An extremely short cut will do the trick, and the freedom from hassle is delicious.

Yes Like we say the eyes are windows to the soul..when forgot all the physical we began to understand each others no matters our differences

Last edited:
Before my Camino I cut my hair down military style...but I did not shave or cut my hair for 4-weeks...so I returned home with long messy hair and a full beard.

€149,-
Hi! Gonna add my little bit of expertise. I forgot my towel in Fisterra and was walking back to Porto still so needs it for about 10 more days - and so experimented quite a bit with what to dry my long hair with. Found out that a long sleeved t-shirt (which i got from a lovely elderly German pilgrim as i dint forget just my towel, but two t-shirts, socks and a dress that I loved to hike in) from Tezenis was a godsend. I walked in it frequently as well and it dried super fast after washing. Don't know how it worked but it absorbed the water from my hair much quicker than my previous microfibre towel. (btw don't try to use the one use bedsheets as a towel - bad idea). Later I bought a t-shirt and i switched between wearing, drying from washing and using it as a towel. The other days I used one of my two scarves that I use as everything from pillow, to turbans/hats, extra layers when its cold, etc.

My hair gets tangled super fast even though it's totally straight but i still decided to try an ego the less weight way and got just a bar of shampoo soap for everything (usually can't deal without conditioner, can't even brush my hair after washing it). After a few days found out that I could wash my hair every two to four days and sometimes I actually washed it on the Way by taking a dip somewhere (usually freezing cold), even in the ocean (Portuguese Coastal way and parts of Norte) plus rivers and ponds i saw along the way and then just using a bit of water from my water bottle to wash away the salt. Did miracles for my hair, when I returned home after a month, my hair was amazingly strong and didn't tangle as much. Also PLAITS. PLAITS are a girls best friend on the Camino. Sometimes i kept the same ones on for two to three days, looked okayish (no one is a supermodel while they are a peregrine as well) and was struggle -free.

Hope this helps! I just trust the Camino to provide me with some way of keeping my hair under wraps and I try and help other peregrines in allergies. Helping others untangle their hair and brush it gently after a tangled shower gets you bonuses like head massages etc. :D

Hello!

Thank you for reading!
I have always said, the size of ones pack is directly related to ones vanity. Take the opportunity and cut it off! You are on the Camino! Have fun!

€149,-
I have always said, the size of ones pack is directly related to ones vanity. Take the opportunity and cut it off! You are on the Camino! Have fun!
Honestly, long hair is much easier for me to deal with on the Camino. I just put it up in a clip when it's hot, or leave it down when it's cold.

Cold weather doesn’t make you sick, germs do, but research suggests that cold weather can create conditions that help those germs survive and thrive....so, she has not been BS ing you after all :)
Thanks! I was just scrolling down this thread planning to weigh in on this argument and along came your post. I agree with you. Personally I look at it this way: a wet head in cold weather puts a certain amount of stress on the body, stress lowers one's resistance, making one more susceptible to the germs lurking about. (But I prefer the way you've put it.) :):):)

what do you all do with your hair?
The camino has changed my life in various ways, as I become much more flexible in what I need and what I used to think I need. About my hair: long, washed with shampoo and conditioned and braided for many years. I tried the advice of one pilgrim before my first camino to just use Ivory soap for everything. It took two shampoos to get the soap out. Then I tried using my regular shampoo but washing less frequently and omitting conditioner. This saved on carrying more shampoo and any conditioner. Now I know that Ivory soap (my regular) will last for a couple of months in Spain and can be used for hand washing clothes. So I can take just one bar of Ivory soap and a small container of shampoo on camino (I soap my hair once and it is clean enough without drying out). My suggestion: experiment before you go, with an open mind and the goal of keeping your pack as light as possible. And remember that you can buy needed replacements in Spain. Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"As you know, colds are caused by viruses. There's no evidence that wet hair acts as a magnet for viruses"

as a Western Medical practitioner, we know this is "true", however, in Traditional Chinese Medicine
Wind Cold Damp can allow invasion of an External Pathogen in susceptible people- hence the cold virus
just another take
Nancy

I have long hair. Lush shampoo bars worked for me along the way. Get a little tin for them to go in and they last and don't get your pack wet. I took 2 and they lasted me the whole way (St Jean- Muxia) :)

Like others have said, shower as you get in and your hair will dry rather quickly

They have lots of different types of the shampoo bar so you can find one that works for your hair. If you go in and ask really nicely, sometimes they let you take a sample home to try (we ended up with quite a bit)

https://uk.lush.com/products/shampoo

Buen camino

I go to the hairdresser every few days .... it brings a little business to the hairdressers. Buen Camino.

I have shoulder length hair on which I do a keratin treatment a couple of times a year. Usually I use a keratin shampoo. I’d love to take a shampoo bar and use it for everything, but am curious if a particular type would be better with the keratin treatment (I know that Lush has different types).

Oh, to have that problem! Thank goodness for the buff! ;)

Today I got a haircut. My hairdresser asked "Is this going to be a regular cut, or a going-away cut?" I said it was regular, but the next one will be a going-away (shorter) one.

€83,-
I have long fine blond hair. It doesn't grow fast, so I dont cut it often as it takes so long to grow back. It tangles like crazy but at home because Im lazy, I put it in a pony tail most of the time if its windy. So for my first Camino, I tied it in a ponytail or put it in braids. Washed it quite infrequently (clearly my standards drop on a Camino). Being out in the sun for so long so it does get quite dry which probably doesn't help the tangling.I didnt care if I walked around with wet hair when I did wash it. But I found it kept catching on my pack, not all the time, but enough to be annoying.
For the next Camino, I chopped about 3 inches off the bottom, it still hasn't grown back but I dont care. It solved the problem, I still didnt wash it all that often and still wore it tied up.

€83,-
I have shoulder length hair on which I do a keratin treatment a couple of times a year. Usually I use a keratin shampoo. I’d love to take a shampoo bar and use it for everything, but am curious if a particular type would be better with the keratin treatment (I know that Lush has different types).
They do - but I can't say it did my hair any favors on Camino. It smelled really good tho, hah! I think a better idea would be to only take a small thing of safe shampoo and just not actually wash your hair much - get it wet, just don't use any sort of shampoo.

I have long fine blond hair. It doesn't grow fast, so I dont cut it often as it takes so long to grow back. It tangles like crazy but at home because Im lazy, I put it in a pony tail most of the time if its windy. So for my first Camino, I tied it in a ponytail or put it in braids. Washed it quite infrequently (clearly my standards drop on a Camino). Being out in the sun for so long so it does get quite dry which probably doesn't help the tangling.I didnt care if I walked around with wet hair when I did wash it. But I found it kept catching on my pack, not all the time, but enough to be annoying.
For the next Camino, I chopped about 3 inches off the bottom, it still hasn't grown back but I dont care. It solved the problem, I still didnt wash it all that often and still wore it tied up.

I do too. I have walked with a pony tail that caught, and short hair I couldn't pull back at all - which whipped into my face all day and scratched my neck. I think the best I ever came up with was to put it in a pony tail/bun and tuck it all under a cap.

They do - but I can't say it did my hair any favors on Camino. It smelled really good tho, hah! I think a better idea would be to only take a small thing of safe shampoo and just not actually wash your hair much - get it wet, just don't use any sort of shampoo.
Thanks for the advice! Smelling good could be a benefit...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a portable hair straightener for long trips. My hair is wavy but I like it better when it's straightened. My hairstyle is important for me, so I always take my shampoo and other care products with me. It's really helping me out while going out somewhere. Monica helped me to choose an appropriate tool on her blog. My Ukliss USB mini flat Iron doesn`t take much space and allows to straighten my locks without spending a lot of time.

Just a suggestion.... If you plan on staying in albergues along any camino and plan on straightening your hair each day, you might want to get up extra early each day to occupy the bathrooms before anyone else is up and about.
Most mornings are fast and furious in an albergue, especially around the bathrooms, with people getting ready to step out.
Buen Camino......

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back