• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to do with my luggage?!

azeevy

Hello everybody,

First of all, I am extremely excited to head out on my first Camino on Monday, April 9th. I am currently in Zurich, Switzerland. I am flying from Zurich to Paris on April 9th... then heading down to St. Jean Pied de Port to begin the Camino Frances. On May 17th I have a flight from Santiago to New York, which will be my final destination.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences with sending luggage in bulk? I am moving from Zurich back to New York so I have about 3 large suitcases that I need to send... ideally I would like to send it to New York and avoid having to deal with this stuff in Santiago. However perhaps it would be cheaper to send to Santiago... I have no idea how it works and if airports hold luggage for you,etc.

I figured I would ask here on the forum as I continue to google this issue, because some of you may have some first-hand experience!

Thank you!

-Arik

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When i moved back from geneva i sent quite a bit of stuff back via surface mail. Takes 1-2 months, but much cheaper than regular mail. You have to do it from a country with a coast though, so from france or spain. Otherwise, there are places you can send your luggage in santiago and pick it up when you are done.

I've also been curious of just how much it costs to ship stuff. For a trip prior to the Camino, I have to take about 12 days worth of clothing (limited time to wash evidently). That will obviously not cut it on the Camino so I either have to abandon ~10 pairs of clothes or ship them back. Never thought of shipping them to Santiago though but I'd imagine the storage fees for a month would be more than that of just sending them overseas.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree, the cheapest (not cheap, cheapest...) way is to send it home when you leave Paris.
Hike light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies!

What do you think would make more sense? Sending my luggage from Switzerland/France to New York, or from Switzerland/France to Santiago and picking it up there before heading to NY?

It's important to note that I do have family in Switzerland, so they could send the luggage while I am 1/2way on the Camino or so. This would avoid storage costs in Santiago as it wouldn't have to sit around there.

Of course I would loooove to be able to get rid of all my crap and just meet up with it in NY, because when I arrive in Santiago the last thing I want to do is hustle around and worry about luggage.

Do you recommend any companies to work with? Price estimates?

Thanks again for the help.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
sillydoll said:
The Pilgrim helper will store your luggage in Santiago for up to 60 days. The name of the facility is Pension Badalada. http://www.badalada.es.
Charges are:
Small box (317 x 215 x 125 mm) €15 for 60 days
Medium box (390 x 290 x 190mm) €20 for 60 days
Large box (590 x 390 x 390mm) €25 for 60 days

Address your luggage as follows:

Pension Badalada
ATT: [Your name here]
Rua Xelmírez, 3
15704 Santiago de Compostela

Thanks! I didn't see this when I made my last post. Very good to know. Now I will just look into sending it straight to NY... but if it's far more expensive than I will certainly go through Pension Badalada.

I just used the regular post office, but i sent my stuff from italy so i dont know if that makes a difference.

For the person who has 10 sets of clothes, why carry so much? You can wear the same thing multiole times between washings unless you will be very active and sweaty. Plus, you can wash things in the sink and let them dry over night. It will be good practice for the camino. I have been traveling for 3 weeks with a skirt, pair of pants, tank top and 2 long sleeve tops and that was more than enough.

For the person who has 10 sets of clothes, why carry so much?

It's for a different trip, but I'm starting the Camino soon as I finish that one so they have to come with me at least until I can ship them to Santiago or back to the states. The coordinator for the first trip says we'll have limited access to washing and he's been doing that trip for years, so I guess he knows what he's on about.

Anyone have an idea of what shipping rates overseas are?

That storage thing in Santiago seems like a good idea as well, but do those prices include the shipping to get the stuff there in the first place as well?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The stroage doesn't include the postage - that you'll have to pay at the Post Office where you send them from. In Spain postage is very reasonable. It'll cost you about €15 for a 20kg suitcase to Santiago from Pamplona.

Is it something I can do in SJPP? Just dump it all off and be done with it? Or would it run into a conflict with crossing country borders?

You can post it from any country.
Ensure that you address it correctly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just exactly like this:
Pension Badalada
Rua Xelmírez, 3

Or would there be something else I'd need to add if shipping out of country? (Just from France, but still...)

Pension Badalada
Rua Xelmírez, 3
Spain

Rua Xelmeriz runs up the side of the Cathedral and Pension Badalada is on the right side, almost near the top of the road.
You could email Manuel Ruzo at info@artnaturagalicia.com to let him know that you have posted your luggage and your expected day of arrival.

Any idea what it might cost to send from SJPP? And/or is there a Post Office in Roncesvalles (I think maybe not?)

sillydoll said:
You can post it from any country.
Ensure that you address it correctly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
tlongacre said:
Any idea what it might cost to send from SJPP? And/or is there a Post Office in Roncesvalles (I think maybe not?)

There is no post office in Roncevalles, but two km west of Roncevalles on the Camino, the village of Burguete has a small post office. Postal Code: 31640.

Margaret

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Is there a Correos at Barajas airport? I'll need to check a small bag for items that I can't carry on board my flight from the US (knife, poles, etc.). Once I arrive at Barajas, I'd like to send the empty bag ahead to SdC so that I can use it on my return trip.

Ann

There is a Correos at Terminal 4 at Barajas Airport.

AEROPUERTO DE BARAJAS TERMINAL 4
28022 MADRID (MADRID)
Tel:913338336 Fax:913337091
Hours: Monday to Friday: 8h30 to 20h30 Saturday 9h30 to 13h00 Closed Sunday
http://www.correos.es/comun/oficinasbuz ... talles.asp

OR: FedEX delivery van with the 902 number - the company delivers parcels or packages all over Spain. They pick up your parcels/luggage at your place and deliver to SdC the following day. Max weight of 32 kg, is about €38. If you happen to be in Madrid and need their service, the number is 902 122 333.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is no post office in Roncevalles, but two km west of Roncevalles on the Camino, the village of Burguete has a small post office. Postal Code: 31640.

So does SJPP have a post office? I just kind of assumed they all did.

Have you considered sending it via UPS direct to NY from Zurich. They have an Ocean Shipping option that may not be too expensive.

MCVet said:
So does SJPP have a post office? I just kind of assumed they all did.
SJPP does have a Post Office- but you will pay an 'international' rate to Spanish addresses.
Margaret

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Shoot it's starting to sound like it may just be cheaper just to abandon the clothes in SJPP then...bring a package of 6 shirts from wally world for $10 on the first trip and leave them in SJPP or use them as rags along the way.

The cost wont be that much higher to post from France. I posted a kit bag of stuff to Santiago from Lourdes two years ago and it didn't cost that much.

Hi there, I have a similar problem where I will have luggage I'd like to send from Madrid to Pension Badalada. Has anyone from the USA successfully sent luggage/packages in Spain before? The Correos website says "Non-commercial shipments being sent by individuals to these destinations [Mainland Spain] are to be accompanied by the DA-1 declaration of value form, which must also state the NIF [the tax identification details] of both sender and recipient." Anyone encounter this issue? Just trying to work out all the kinks before I leave in August. Thanks!

celestemarie1 said:
Hi there, I have a similar problem where I will have luggage I'd like to send from Madrid to Pension Badalada. Has anyone from the USA successfully sent luggage/packages in Spain before? The Correos website says "Non-commercial shipments being sent by individuals to these destinations [Mainland Spain] are to be accompanied by the DA-1 declaration of value form, which must also state the NIF [the tax identification details] of both sender and recipient." Anyone encounter this issue? Just trying to work out all the kinks before I leave in August. Thanks!

Yes I have several times. It is totally straightforward. In place of an NIF number simply show them your passport. All will be well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Errrr....don't really know but I expect so. If they do need to be boxed all of the Post Offices sell boxes of all sizes and I regularly see people packing boxes in the Post Office in Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back