• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to do with scallops?

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Of course, in addition to putting them on one's pack.
I don't know about anyone else, but since first walking the Camino, these shells have become a 'thing' for me - not only do I notice them everywhere but they begin to accumulate.
I'm sure I'm not alone in this: are scallops invading your living spaces, too?

Fortunately life prevents me from being too acquisitive. But recently an old (non-camino) friend in NZ introduced me to a lovely way to show off the beauty of our favorite symbol (see my new avatar).
Lots of possible metaphors there, besides being gorgeous. The Camino contains multitudes, and all levels of being.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just wear a necklace and earrings with the shell design. I don't want to add any more weight to my backpack!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know about anyone else, but since first walking the Camino, these shells have become a 'thing' for me - not only do I notice them everywhere but they begin to accumulate.

Fortunately life prevents me from being too acquisitive. But recently an old (non-camino) friend in NZ introduced me to a lovely way to show off the beauty of our favorite symbol (see my new avatar).
Lots of possible metaphors there, besides being gorgeous. The Camino contains multitudes, and all levels of being.
Lovely

2004 when nervously beginning my first camino a kindly volunteer of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques in SJPdP offered me a pilgrim shell; I wore it then with pride.

Today that first precious shell hangs at the door of our farmhouse continuing the timeless tradition of marking a pilgrim place.

For me it is the camino and priceless.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will (all being well ) nervously begin my first Camino in 2018. I have so many questions, those of great brevity and the more mundane, but one thing I’ve been wondering is where do these scallop shells come from? Do peregrinos bring their own shells with them sourced from home or are they readily available at the start points?

I will (all being well ) nervously begin my first Camino in 2018. I have so many questions, those of great brevity and the more mundane, but one thing I’ve been wondering is where do these scallop shells come from? Do peregrinos bring their own shells with them sourced from home or are they readily available at the start points?
Available from the pilgrim office at St Jean Pied de Port (SJPdP) and all along the Camino Frances.
Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've dangled the same shell on my backpack on each Camino, and come June it will be with me a fourth time. I too, love seeing the scallop shell and my awareness of them has been heightened ever since my first Camino. I've noticed huge ones fashioned to hold the holy water upon entering Catholic churches and various other ones occassionally "here and there". As you can see by my avatar I really do love the scallops!
Here's a photo of a large scallop style wooden bowl I purchased at a resale shop last year.
20171107_053642.jpg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My mother had a lifelong collection of spoons, souvenirs from world travels and some lovely antiques. After her passing I was looking into her spoon chest, right on top of the spoons inside was a beautiful scallop shell. That told me that I must walk the Camino. Her shell has hung on my backpack for both of my pilgrimages.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Our three shells will be the centrepiece of a macrame/shell wall hanging that I intend to create once we are finally back home. As we live next to the ocean collecting shells and displaying them is what we do and I intend something great for our most special shells :)

You really DO love the scallop shells! :)
Well, that was my friend who did that - I just took the photo. She lives on an island surrounded bu a healthy ocean, and loves shells. Her beautiful nest was an acknowledgement that even the very young die, as well as we who are older and bigger...
You could write a message on it and nail it to your wall or roof beams. Add one for each camino and eventually it will end up like this :)
Where is that, @Bradypus ? Wow.
Christmas tree ornaments?
Great idea.
And I love the thought of everyone's shells hanging in the Jacobus church, @Peter Fransiscus!

Drill a hole in the shells. Paint red Santiago crosses on the outside of the shells. Place a sticker with the URL of your favorite camino website or YouTube video on the inside of the shells. Tie a hanging loop of yarn onto the shells. Leave them scattered around town. See your shells again next year on the packs of your neighbors when you are all trying to find an albergue that isn't completo.

Where is that, @Bradypus ? Wow.

It is a bar in Albergueria on the Camino Sanabres. The owner asks every pilgrim who visits to write their name and a message on a scallop shell then hangs it somewhere. A bizarre sight :) One of them is mine. I couldn't find the photos I took there so I linked to someone else's.

We got our shells at the Pilgrim Office in St Jean...along with our first stamp.

Ivar sells some lovely camino shells right here in the Forum Store, too!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
. . . are scallops invading your living spaces, too? . . .
Well, let me count . . . 1,2,3,4,5 . . . five of them hanging on the wall to the left of my computer desk. Note, where I grew up it was considered bad luck to have sea shells inside your home, so, wish me good luck! Thanks for reading, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

I hope to be able to walk the Camino Ingles next summer, and hopefully on to Finisterre and Muxia afterwards. I have been wondering what I would do with the scallop shell, hang it outside by the front door to welcome people, or inside where I will see it more often.

My mother had a lifelong collection of spoons, souvenirs from world travels and some lovely antiques. After her passing I was looking into her spoon chest, right on top of the spoons inside was a beautiful scallop shell. That told me that I must walk the Camino. Her shell has hung on my backpack for both of my pilgrimages.

Sparrow, my husband recently bought me a silver spoon ring with a shell on it, a reminder to care for my health (or "manage my spoons" if you know the Spoon Theory) and to not give up on my dream of doing the Camino.

My avatar is a photo I took at the museum in Santiago in 2015.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
C3 to Camino, I had not heard of "measuring one's spoons" but after a little research, the metaphor seems to also fit walking the Camino, to be mindful in measuring and caring for not only one's own physical and spiritual energy, but for that of other's.

Hanging your shell by your front door would be a superb reminder of some of the wonderful hospitality we, and you will too, experience on our pilgrimage.

Buen Camino!

I had my shell framed - it’s a lovely reminder of my walk...

You could write a message on it and nail it to your wall or roof beams. /QUOTE]

The previous owner of my house left 17 St Brigid's crosses nailed to a beam. Apart from the desire to reuse my original shell, I doubt that there are enough active years remaining to me to accumulate such a collection!

I sympathise 100%. A supermarket near me reopened a couple of days ago after a big refit. I dragged myself away from my laptop and my Camino obsession for an hour to drop in, look around and buy a few odds and ends. Then I spotted these and my mind was right back on the Caminos again. At least I can point out another local source for anyone looking for a shell for their pack :)

Attachments

• scallop-chorizo.jpg
    scallop-chorizo.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 21

Save them for the next Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had chorizo and shrimp earlier this year and have been meaning to try cooking some myself. I may as well try chorizo with scallops at the same time and try out the chorizo, shrimp and scallop combination. Serve on the shell for an appetizer.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back