• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to eat between St Jean and Roncesvalles

Damian McGrath

i am about to start my first Camino and I am very unsure about what to do for food on my first day. What do most people take with them from St Jean for that 25km hike to Roncesvalles?

Thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowledge and experience shared on this forum. Over the last six months, I have learnt more than I could imagine from your reflections.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As Falcon noted both Orisson and Valcarlos have bar/restaurants. However after those stops there is no food until Roncesvalles. Be sure to carry enough water for your hike. As for hiking snacks firm cheese, some fruit and chocolate are good choices. At the monastery of Roncesvalles there are a few bars/restos. In the albergue vending machines sell snacks. However there is no food store as such in the complex.

Buen camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
i am about to start my first Camino and I am very unsure about what to do for food on my first day. What do most people take with them from St Jean for that 25km hike to Roncesvalles?

Thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowledge and experience shared on this forum. Over the last six months, I have learnt more than I could imagine from your reflections.
Hi ,as Falcon stated and be sure that you have enough water with you .
Wish you a Buen Camino , Peter .

In 2013 there was a man who set a little shop on the Prynees. About 5ish km from Orrisson. (I think)
He sold boiled eggs, fruit..and .CHOCOLATE!!! It was like an oasis.

I took a ham and egg sandwich each day. (St Jean to Orrisson- then Orrison to Roncesvalles)
But I didn't really have an appetite when I was walking. So ate these each night after I showered.

Orrisson had refreshing fresh orange juice. Yum!

I also took some boiled lollies.

Like those above have suggested. ....take plenty of water.
I know what a lollipop is, but what's a boiled lolly? :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hiking food. Bring chocolate, nuts, raisins, and hard cheese. There is a sandwich shop at the cathedral in SJPdP ... buy a sandwich. I find soft candy such as jujubes indispensable on a wet cold day as a ready source of sugar energy.

Bring something to sit on. Everything is covered in sheep dip.

There is a well stocked store at Burguete for resupply.

As advised already, just bring some stuff with you to eat for lunch and snack on. Also, there are no shops in Roncesvalles to buy snacks, etc. Until dinner time, you are on your own.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do be careful since on a nice sunny day chocolate quickly turns to butter and bananas always become pudding so very quickly. Raisins, nuts, other dried fruit, even pepitas will work. The raisins will give you a jumpstart until the others kick in later.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi I did this trip last Sunday. I had breakfast in St Jean Pied de Port, lunch at Orrison (although it was maybe 10am or 11am) I had packed two bananas and some cereal bars to have after this, ended up stopping at the camper Van selling snacks towards the top and had my bananas and cereal bars there where you could get coffee, tea etc
Rita

Thanks everyone for the responses.
I wasn't sure if I could eat something at Orisson - do they also sell a bocadillo or somesuch to take on the way?
I will have some trail mix and energy bars - but there's 17kms between Orisson and Roncesvalles - that's a lot of ground.
Again, thanks for taking time to respond.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks everyone for the responses.
I wasn't sure if I could eat something at Orisson - do they also sell a bocadillo or somesuch to take on the way?
I will have some trail mix and energy bars - but there's 17kms between Orisson and Roncesvalles - that's a lot of ground.
Again, thanks for taking time to respond.
Buen Camino :)

Buen camino Damian!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi We will be setting off from St Jean on Sunday 14th and am told that nothing is open on Sundays. Can anyone tell me if Orrisson would be open for hot chocolate and coffee in the morning?
Tam

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi We will be setting off from St Jean on Sunday 14th and am told that nothing is open on Sundays. Can anyone tell me if Orrisson would be open for hot chocolate and coffee in the morning?
Tam
Orrison was open last Sunday for tortilla coffee tea and other bites. Also at the top if the climb there was a food wagon selling bananas snacks tea coffee, not sure are you guaranteed he will be there every day. But Orrison will be open on a Sunday. I picked up some cereal bars and some bananas in Saint Jean from the supermarket in Saturday evening and put them on top of my pack they were good when I needed a snack after Orrison.
Rita

I always carry nuts with me, along with a piece or two of fruit and ample water I fine that I am fine until I reach my destination. The meal in Roncesvalles satisfied my appetite.

I always carry a package of dark chocolates with me. Also, I purchased a bocadillo at St. Jean, ate half of it there and carried the other half to Roncesvalles. That was all that was needed. What to bring in terms of food and drink is purely personal. Let your past experience be your guide.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

We did it last year in September. We found a butcher in SJPDP who sold VERY good dry saucisses. We took 4 with us. They lasted about two days. You can't get the same in Spain!! I remembered a guy somewhere high up in the Pyrenees with a van and nice warm stuff you could buy between SJPDP and Roncevalles. There a few watertaps on the route, but take enough water (or anything else you'd like to drink).

BUEN CAMINO and don't forget : HAVE FUN!!

And we also had our "Emergency Ration" with us : A big bag (500grmms) of Nuts.

Last edited:
Again, thank you to everyone for the advice. My mind is much more at peace.

I hop on a plane this afternoon in Australia and in several days time (!!!) I begin my camino.

I am looking forward to it immensely (it should have happened in 2003).

Again, thank you to everyone for the advice. My mind is much more at peace.

I hop on a plane this afternoon in Australia and in several days time (!!!) I begin my camino.

I am looking forward to it immensely (it should have happened in 2003).
Buen Camino Damian and enjoy your time in Spain!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back