• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to expect...and not

Jenine

Time of past OR future Camino
C Frances Sep '18
C Norte Sep '21
C Portugues '22
Hello Peregrinos,
I wrote this letter to my son who is about to walk his first Camino from Lisbon to Santiago and back on the Camino Torres.
I will be with him to walk my third Camino.
I would like to share this letter for others who may be wondering what to expect...or not.

Dear Son,
This is not an easy journey but every step will be worthwhile. We are hiking about 700kms in total. We will average between 20 to 25 kms per day but 11 of those days we will be walking 30kms or more. There are only 2 rest days scheduled at the half way point. We will have three rest days at the very end to celebrate our accomplishments.

Sometimes having expectations can set you up for disappointment but sometimes having realistic expectations can leave you feeling better prepared for what lies ahead.

Walking on a pilgrimage like this is likely to bring change. Change comes in 3 parts. First part is physical, then mental and finally spiritual. Your body will take a couple of weeks to adjust to your new schedule then it will go into auto-pilot. This will take your focus from your body to your mind. You will find yourself deep in thought perhaps if you are lucky even have an epiphany. Spiritually, you may feel reconnected to yourself, or your roots or to your faith whatever that may be.

What to expect:

1. Expect pain. Blisters. Cramps. Sore feet. Sore legs. Sore back

2. Expect rain. It is inevitable. It is springtime.

3. Expect wind. We will be walking most days by the Ocean.

4. Expect some road walking…industrial zones, busy city streets but also forest trails, beach boardwalks, quiet neighborhoods, and farm lanes. Lots of cobblestone.

5. Expect beautiful sunsets and expect me to attend each and every one.

6. Expect to be woken very early every day. My goal is to see every sunrise.

7. Expect to be very tired and very hungry…. the moment you arrive at each destination.

8. Expect to wait until 8pm for dinner….this is the norm.

9. Expect to eat A LOT of fish, seafood, bread and meat.

10. Expect to make friends, try listening more than talking, you will learn more. Everybody has a story to tell. Be respectful. Some pilgrims are seeking solitude. Some seek support. We are all on a path of self-discovery and enlightenment

11. Expect to find peace and mental clarity but be patient, it won’t happen in one day. Don’t give up. Ever. Peace will come.

12. Expect less than perfect beds, small showers, small rooms, stairs to climb after a long day

13. Expect to lose your way.

14. Expect to find your way.

15. Expect a difficult transition back to reality and working again but know that you will be ok, life is a Camino – continue to apply what you learn on this journey in all areas of your life

16. Expect the Camino to call you back for the rest of your life.

What NOT to expect:

1. Do not expect sympathy. This pilgrimage is a choice. Let it humble you. Treat it with respect and take pride in what you are doing.

2. Do not expect a taxi when you need one, or water when you are thirsty or food when you are hungry BUT have faith the Camino provides. You may not always get what you want but you will always find what you need.

3. Do not expect me to have all the answers all the time. I will walk beside you and I will lead you home again but I too am on my own journey.

4. Do not expect to find all the answers you seek or for all your problems to disappear but be confident that you will find some clarity

5. Do not expect everyone to speak english, we may have to do some charades to communicate. Have fun and be creative!

6. Do not expect everything to go as planned. We do have an excellent plan in place but sometimes random events can alter our course and most often the universe is simply redirecting us to where we are meant to be. Be open to change. Be flexible. Adapt.

Bom Caminho!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Peregrinos,
I wrote this letter to my son who is about to walk his first Camino from Lisbon to Santiago and back on the Camino Torres.
I would like to share this letter for others who may be wondering what to expect...or not.

Dear Son,
This is not an easy journey but every step will be worthwhile. We are hiking about 700kms in total. We will average between 20 to 25 kms per day but 11 of those days we will be walking 30kms or more. There are only 2 rest days scheduled at the half way point. We will have three rest days at the very end to celebrate our accomplishments.

Sometimes having expectations can set you up for disappointment but sometimes having realistic expectations can leave you feeling better prepared for what lies ahead.

Walking on a pilgrimage like this is likely to bring change. Change comes in 3 parts. First part is physical, then mental and finally spiritual. Your body will take a couple of weeks to adjust to your new schedule then it will go into auto-pilot. This will take your focus from your body to your mind. You will find yourself deep in thought perhaps if you are lucky even have an epiphany. Spiritually, you may feel reconnected to yourself, or your roots or to your faith whatever that may be.

What to expect:

4. Expect some road walking…industrial zones, busy city streets but also forest trails, beach boardwalks, quiet neighborhoods, and farm lanes. Lots of cobblestone.

7. Expect to be very tired and very hungry…. the moment you arrive at each destination.

10. Expect to make friends, try listening more than talking, you will learn more. Everybody has a story to tell. Be respectful. Some pilgrims are seeking solitude. Some seek support. We are all on a path of self-discovery and enlightenment

11. Expect to find peace and mental clarity but be patient, it won’t happen in one day. Don’t give up. Ever. Peace will come.

12. Expect less than perfect beds, small showers, small rooms, stairs to climb after a long day

15. Expect a difficult transition back to reality and working again but know that you will be ok, life is a Camino – continue to apply what you learn on this journey in all areas of your life

What NOT to expect:

1. Do not expect sympathy. This pilgrimage is a choice. Let it humble you. Treat it with respect and take pride in what you are doing.

2. Do not expect a taxi when you need one, or water when you are thirsty or food when you are hungry BUT have faith the Camino provides. You may not always get what you want but you will always find what you need.

3. Do not expect me to have all the answers all the time. I will walk beside you and I will lead you home again but I too am on my own journey.

4. Do not expect to find all the answers you seek or for all your problems to disappear but be confident that you will find some clarity

5. Do not expect everyone to speak english, we may have to do some charades to communicate. Have fun and be creative!

6. Do not expect everything to go as planned. We do have an excellent plan in place but sometimes random events can alter our course and most often the universe is simply redirecting us to where we are meant to be. Be open to change. Be flexible. Adapt.

Bom Caminho!!
Thank you

Hello Peregrinos,

Dear Son,

What to expect:

What NOT to expect:

Bom Caminho!!
LOVE this. Way to go, Mom - I cannot think of one thing that you have not mentioned. Buen Camino to you both.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Camino provides. I would not write that letter and let your son experience the Camino as it will play out uniquely for him.

I would take one less day at end and one more rest day along the way. My days in Legrono, Burgos, & Leon were fantastic!!
Thank you for your thoughts. My letter has been written and given and received well. It doesn't stop him from having his own unique Camino experience anymore than the thousands of articles, blogs, vlogs and opinions on this very forum do. I'm happy you enjoyed your Camino...I enjoyed mine as well.
As for rest days, we have a plan that we are happy with, if that plays out differently, we will be happy with that too.
Buen Camino

I like your letter very much... especially as I plan to walk with my older daughter (now 14 years old, then 15 years old) from Porto to Santiago in September.

I would expect this different:
> 1. Expect pain. Blisters. Cramps. Sore feet. Sore legs. Sore back

If you are healthy, if you are careful (well-fitting shoes, light enough backpack, not overdoing it (walking at your pace etc.)) and if you are not unlucky, you do not need to expect much of these:
Pain. Blisters. Cramps. Sore feet. Sore legs. Sore back

> 3. Do not expect me to have all the answers all the time. I will walk beside you and I will lead you home again but I too am on my own journey.

I will walk sometimes beside you... but most of the time we should walk at our own pace... and we will meet again and again... and I will have answers to your questions sometimes.

I like your letter very much... especially as I plan to walk with my older daughter (now 14 years old, then 15 years old) from Porto to Santiago in September.

I would expect this different:
> 1. Expect pain. Blisters. Cramps. Sore feet. Sore legs. Sore back

If you are healthy, if you are careful (well-fitting shoes, light enough backpack, not overdoing it (walking at your pace etc.)) and if you are not unlucky, you do not need to expect much of these:
Pain. Blisters. Cramps. Sore feet. Sore legs. Sore back

> 3. Do not expect me to have all the answers all the time. I will walk beside you and I will lead you home again but I too am on my own journey.

I will walk sometimes beside you... but most of the time we should walk at our own pace... and we will meet again and again... and I will have answers to your questions sometimes.

I am happy you will share your camino with your daughter.
I walked in 2018 with my youngest son and will always have incredible memories to look back on.
I agree with you about walking at your own pace. When I wrote to my son and said I would walk beside him, it was intended to be figurative. He just needs to know he is not alone.
In regards to the expectation of pain, again this was written for my son and shared with this group as an after thought... the reality is, he most definitely will experience pain. I don't wish it for him, but it is a realistic expectation for him.
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Peregrinos,

Dear Son,

What to expect:

What NOT to expect:

Bom Caminho!!
Thank you much

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Peregrinos,

Dear Son,

What to expect:

What NOT to expect:

Bom Caminho!!
Great post. Better in a way than a guidebook.

Agree...very well said! Your son's Camino will unfold as it should and some of things mentioned will happen, some won't and point 6 which mentions random events is guaranteed to happen. That's what will make this Camino memorable for both of you!

Now...maybe I could use this letter to see if one of my daughters will walk with me...hmmm. Or maybe I need to take out a few things...I mean they are not that interested now...need to stress food, friendships and sunshine... 🌞

Bon Camino!

Guy

Jenine, Your letter is almost exactly what I said to my daughter before our Camino in 2019. When I said to her "Expect the Camino to call you back for the rest of your life", She said "Surely it will just be like when we used to go tramping and is just a long walk". About two months after we came back home she started asking me to organise another Camino for the next year. She now believes in the Camino calling you for the rest of your life. She is one of us.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Jenine, Your letter is almost exactly what I said to my daughter before our Camino in 2019. When I said to her "Expect the Camino to call you back for the rest of your life", She said "Surely it will just be like when we used to go tramping and is just a long walk". About two months after we came back home she started asking me to organise another Camino for the next year. She now believes in the Camino calling you for the rest of your life. She is one of us.
Reading your reply made me feel very happy. "one of us" People who know, know. It is a calling. It is a calling that I intend to answer until my legs no longer carry me. I love that there are so many people who understand. Thank you for your response.
Buen Camino to both you and your daughter!

Hello Peregrinos,

Dear Son,

What to expect:

What NOT to expect:

Bom Caminho!!
Simply beautiful!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back