• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID What to expect if you catch Covid?

czelnick

Time of past OR future Camino
Kumano Kodo 2019
Hi, we are planning on walking beginning mid April, first the San Salvador, then the Primitivo. We are fully immunized and had booster shots, but we are in late 60s age.

I'm wondering what happens if you catch Covid while on pilgrimage? Surely you need to isolate so as not to expose others. How do you do that?- are there hotels that will take you and allow you to quarantine until the danger to others is past? Would appreciate any experiences people have had.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Spanish government's Travel Safe website has the information you are looking for.

Furthermore, some regions in Spain, including Galicia are offering Covid insurance to travelers. In Galicia it is free.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Furthermore, some regions in Spain, including Galicia are offering Covid insurance to travelers. In Galicia it is free.
It is great that some regions offer Covid insurance but I never go on camino without my own travel insurance. I use Mapre and they have been great. Last year I paid $350 for 2 months as I was walking 1,150K. I ended up needing it. There is no hassle, no fuss, they pay for everything. Just show your insurance at the reception in a hospital or clinic and you never hear from anyone again. They pay for prescription drug costs too but that is on a reimbursement.

It is great that some regions offer Covid insurance but I never go on camino without my own travel insurance.
Of course, arriving in Spain with proper travel insurance is a must.
But if I were to contract Covid while in Galicia I would definitely take advantage of what they have to offer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year I paid $350 for 2 months as I was
$350 ufff....
I'm grateful that my travel insurance is included in our house insurance for worldwide travelling up to 45days per trip....wuhhh...

I ended up needing it. There is no hassle, no fuss, they pay for everything.
Thanks for this info. It’s very hard to find online reviews for travel insurance from people who actually made a claim (which does tell you something about the relative likelihood of needing to use it). Nice to know of your experience with this one, at least.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for the very helpful responses.

Has anyone out there on the forums had the experience of catching Covid and having to use these services?
How did your hotel or albergue handle this?
Did you have to pause your camino?

I'm sure others would be interested in your stories.
(Hopefully we won't have to post ours!)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.