• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to Expect on the Camino (for prospective pilgrims)

jmcarp

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
For more than twelve hundred years pilgrims have been making their way across Europe to Santiago de Compostela and the tomb of Saint James, the apostle and friend of Jesus. They have crossed the Pyrenees, the farms and fields of northern Spain, the high desolate plateau of the meseta, the scrub-covered Montes de Leon, and the misty green mountains and valleys of Galicia, finally reaching the grand city named after the patron saint of Spain and the even grander cathedral that holds his remains. They have numbered in the millions – peasants, paupers, merchants; kings and queens; saints, sinners, priests, and religious; young and old, rich and poor. They have come in remission of their sins, to exorcise demons, to gain indulgences, to seek God’s healing grace for themselves or in hopeful prayer for loved ones who suffer, as sentences for crimes or other misdeeds, and in some cases, perhaps just out of curiosity.

Now you are about to embark on this great journey, to add your footprints to those of the millions who have beaten this path before you. Along the way you will cross mountain ranges, rivers, fertile fields of wheat and corn, vineyards stretching to the horizon, pastures filled with sheep and cattle, and vast prairies nearly devoid of trees. You’ll pass through large cities with buildings of glass and steel and miles of shops and factories along busy streets; through suburbs of modern and traditional homes; past schoolyards filled with joyful children, and through parks with pensioners on benches watching the world go by. You’ll pass through tiny hamlets centered around a centuries-old church, and through ancient villages with cows and chickens wandering in the streets. You’ll walk alongside modern super highways, beside high-speed rail lines, along quiet back road byways, serene farm lanes, simple dirt pathways, and rocky mountain trails. You’ll cross ancient stone bridges and modern steel and concrete spans and overpasses. You’ll tiptoe across simple slabs of stone or mere stepping stones over rivulets and brooks. You’ll walk on concrete, asphalt, gravel, dirt, flagstones, cobblestones, and two thousand year-old Roman roads of carefully cut and placed stones. You’ll walk through mud, water, dust, and manure. You’ll walk through forests of oak, beech, pine, and eucalyptus trees; through fields of sunflowers, wildflowers, heather, and ferns. But always you’ll be walking, one step after another for mile after mile after mile.

You’ll hear tinkling sheep bells, clanking cow bells, and the deep gongs of ancient church bells calling people to prayer. You’ll hear children laughing, dogs barking, and occasionally the singing of pilgrims as they walk by. You’ll hear the roar of traffic, the sound of speeding trains, the distant sound of jets far above, the putter of a tractor in a farmer’s field. You’ll hear birds singing, crickets chirping, and perhaps the bleeting of sheep on a hillside. As you pass through a village you may hear the conversation of people sitting at sidewalk tables or park benches, and sometimes the sound of a radio playing in a bar or the open window of a house. You’ll hear the distant rumble of thunder and the sound of rainfall all around you. You’ll hear the swish-swish of irrigation sprinklers in a field and the woosh-woosh of the giant wind generators on the ridge lines. And you’ll hear the quiet of the sunrise as you walk along a narrow pathway, basking in the coolness of a new dawn.

You’ll be intimidated and elated, discouraged and encouraged. You’ll laugh a lot and perhaps cry a little. You’ll be wet, dry, sweaty, and shivering. You’ll walk in daylight and darkness, in rain, sun, mist, and fog – and maybe even snow at times. Your shoulders will hurt, your back will hurt, your legs will hurt, your ankles will hurt, your feet will hurt. Your head will ache and your nose will run. You’ll have blisters, you’ll have tendonitis, you’ll have shin splints. You’ll limp and you’ll hobble – but as you look around, so will everyone else.

You’ll eat a ton of tortillas de patata, mountains of insalada mixta, at least a million french fries, delicious fresh pastries, bread to die for, hearty bocadillos de jamón or atun, and more tapas and pinchos than you can imagine. You’ll drink gallons of café con leche and vino tinto, and probably more than your share of cerveza as well. And in spite of all that, you’ll lose weight as you walk.

You’ll spend hours talking as you walk with friends, and hours of quiet contemplation as you walk alone. You’ll suffer physical pain, wrestle with demons, and eventually you’ll discover an inner self that you never knew existed.

You’ll meet people from all over the globe. You’ll make friends for a day, a week, or a lifetime. You may even meet an angel along the way.

In short, as the hospitalero Acacio told his guests over a simple but memorable dinner in a humble albergue in a sleepy village, “People say they are making the Camino. You don’t make the Camino, you live the Camino.” And when you finally stand in front of the Cathedral in Santiago with tears streaming down your cheeks, you’ll know that your Camino has not ended – it’s only just begun. Ultreia!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@jmcarp a wonderful synopsis, gloriously put together. I'm posting it (with attribution) to my friends.

Thanks for the comments. Our local chapter of the American Pilgrims on the Camino has a mentoring program which pairs past pilgrims with prospective pilgrims, and I originally wrote that for some of the prospective pilgrims my wife and I were mentoring. I thought I'd share it here for the benefit of other prospective pilgrims.
Ultreia,
Jim

This is beautiful. All of it is wonderfully written but the part I most enjoyed was the sounds section. It made me sit up a little straighter in my chair. I suddenly realized that people don't often write so intentionally about the sounds (snoring being the exception).

I don't know if the many layers of this experience can ever make sense to someone who hasn't walked yet but your poetic writing is sweet music to people with a history on the Camino. (Actually, I am in the camp that says have your own experience. You do not need to know everything ahead of time. I avoided talking to the one person I knew whom rumor had it might have walked this walk.)

Keep writing!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@jmcarp a wonderful synopsis, gloriously put together. I'm posting it (with attribution) to my friends.
I'm honored that you will share this, and ask only that you use my full name, Jim Carpenter, when you share elsewhere.
Jim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the comments. Our local chapter of the American Pilgrims on the Camino has a mentoring program which pairs past pilgrims with prospective pilgrims, and I originally wrote that for some of the prospective pilgrims my wife and I were mentoring. I thought I'd share it here for the benefit of other prospective pilgrims.
Ultreia,
Jim
My husband and I are prospective pilgrims starting April 1, 2015 and enjoyed your post. Many thanks, Maya

I'd add to sounds: cuckoos, stork clicking, snoring.

For more than twelve hundred years pilgrims have been making their way across Europe to Santiago de Compostela and the tomb of Saint James, the apostle and friend of Jesus. They have crossed the Pyrenees, the farms and fields of northern Spain, the high desolate plateau of the meseta, the scrub-covered Montes de Leon, and the misty green mountains and valleys of Galicia, finally reaching the grand city named after the patron saint of Spain and the even grander cathedral that holds his remains. They have numbered in the millions – peasants, paupers, merchants; kings and queens; saints, sinners, priests, and religious; young and old, rich and poor. They have come in remission of their sins, to exorcise demons, to gain indulgences, to seek God’s healing grace for themselves or in hopeful prayer for loved ones who suffer, as sentences for crimes or other misdeeds, and in some cases, perhaps just out of curiosity.

Now you are about to embark on this great journey, to add your footprints to those of the millions who have beaten this path before you. Along the way you will cross mountain ranges, rivers, fertile fields of wheat and corn, vineyards stretching to the horizon, pastures filled with sheep and cattle, and vast prairies nearly devoid of trees. You’ll pass through large cities with buildings of glass and steel and miles of shops and factories along busy streets; through suburbs of modern and traditional homes; past schoolyards filled with joyful children, and through parks with pensioners on benches watching the world go by. You’ll pass through tiny hamlets centered around a centuries-old church, and through ancient villages with cows and chickens wandering in the streets. You’ll walk alongside modern super highways, beside high-speed rail lines, along quiet back road byways, serene farm lanes, simple dirt pathways, and rocky mountain trails. You’ll cross ancient stone bridges and modern steel and concrete spans and overpasses. You’ll tiptoe across simple slabs of stone or mere stepping stones over rivulets and brooks. You’ll walk on concrete, asphalt, gravel, dirt, flagstones, cobblestones, and two thousand year-old Roman roads of carefully cut and placed stones. You’ll walk through mud, water, dust, and manure. You’ll walk through forests of oak, beech, pine, and eucalyptus trees; through fields of sunflowers, wildflowers, heather, and ferns. But always you’ll be walking, one step after another for mile after mile after mile.

You’ll hear tinkling sheep bells, clanking cow bells, and the deep gongs of ancient church bells calling people to prayer. You’ll hear children laughing, dogs barking, and occasionally the singing of pilgrims as they walk by. You’ll hear the roar of traffic, the sound of speeding trains, the distant sound of jets far above, the putter of a tractor in a farmer’s field. You’ll hear birds singing, crickets chirping, and perhaps the bleeting of sheep on a hillside. As you pass through a village you may hear the conversation of people sitting at sidewalk tables or park benches, and sometimes the sound of a radio playing in a bar or the open window of a house. You’ll hear the distant rumble of thunder and the sound of rainfall all around you. You’ll hear the swish-swish of irrigation sprinklers in a field and the woosh-woosh of the giant wind generators on the ridge lines. And you’ll hear the quiet of the sunrise as you walk along a narrow pathway, basking in the coolness of a new dawn.

You’ll be intimidated and elated, discouraged and encouraged. You’ll laugh a lot and perhaps cry a little. You’ll be wet, dry, sweaty, and shivering. You’ll walk in daylight and darkness, in rain, sun, mist, and fog – and maybe even snow at times. Your shoulders will hurt, your back will hurt, your legs will hurt, your ankles will hurt, your feet will hurt. Your head will ache and your nose will run. You’ll have blisters, you’ll have tendonitis, you’ll have shin splints. You’ll limp and you’ll hobble – but as you look around, so will everyone else.

You’ll eat a ton of tortillas de patata, mountains of insalada mixta, at least a million french fries, delicious fresh pastries, bread to die for, hearty bocadillos de jamón or atun, and more tapas and pinchos than you can imagine. You’ll drink gallons of café con leche and vino tinto, and probably more than your share of cerveza as well. And in spite of all that, you’ll lose weight as you walk.

You’ll spend hours talking as you walk with friends, and hours of quiet contemplation as you walk alone. You’ll suffer physical pain, wrestle with demons, and eventually you’ll discover an inner self that you never knew existed.

You’ll meet people from all over the globe. You’ll make friends for a day, a week, or a lifetime. You may even meet an angel along the way.

In short, as the hospitalero Acacio told his guests over a simple but memorable dinner in a humble albergue in a sleepy village, “People say they are making the Camino. You don’t make the Camino, you live the Camino.” And when you finally stand in front of the Cathedral in Santiago with tears streaming down your cheeks, you’ll know that your Camino has not ended – it’s only just begun. Ultreia!

My exact feelings when I walked in 2013 - feelings that will be with me for the rest of my life.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love that you ended with a quote from Acacio; I spent a night there - entered cold, discouraged and looking at my feet... I colored a mandala, warmed up (body & soul), and like you, enjoyed a memorable dinner with Acacio & Orietta plus pilgrims. It was one of my most memorable resting places of my entire experience. I left in the morning with a deeper sense of why I was on the Camino. Thanks for sharing, Jim.

I love that you ended with a quote from Acacio; I spent a night there - entered cold, discouraged and looking at my feet... I colored a mandala, warmed up (body & soul), and like you, enjoyed a memorable dinner with Acacio & Orietta plus pilgrims. It was one of my most memorable resting places of my entire experience. I left in the morning with a deeper sense of why I was on the Camino. Thanks for sharing, Jim.
No, thank you and all the others who have commented. Your comments and remembrances reinforce the magic of the Camino that we have all shared. I was simply trying to summarize in one place what it's like to "live" the Camino for those who are preparing to follow us and the millions who preceded us.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

How well said!

I walked the Camino Portuguese in September of 2014 and the feelings you described are still so close to the surface - the exhilaration of the cool dawn before the heat of the day, walking with new friends (I showed up alone with my pack and met a new family), the frustration, pain of every body part, contentment of surrendering to the Camino and knowing I would make it to the top of the next mountain, the joy and tears that I made it to Santiago, and that it was over. Is it any wonder the Camino calls us back?

Very poetically put - I really enjoyed your perfect description of walking the Camino. Thanks. I am even more reinforced to return in the beginning of April. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow!
If ever anyone encapsulated walking the Camino , you just did. Everything, just everything you said is so true and gives me a shiver of desire to be there again.
Buen Camino

Just go from day to day. You will love every moment. All the hidden treasures.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
[QUOTE="jmcarp, p]

A wonderful post....have shared it on our Australian Pilgrims facebook group....Smiles.

I'm honored that you will share this, and ask only that you use my full name, Jim Carpenter, when you share elsewhere.
Jim

Thank you Jim. I will start my own journey in April. Your words brought tears to my eyes as I read them out loud to my 89 year old mother. How I wish she could join me.
Utreia!

[QUOTE="jmcarp, p]

A wonderful post....have shared it on our Australian Pilgrims facebook group....Smiles.

Hi Jim....my apologies to you. I did indeed share this post with our Australian fb group and neglected to acknowledge you.....I have now rectified this in my post to the group a few minutes ago.....cheers Susanawee.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jim....my apologies to you. I did indeed share this post with our Australian fb group and neglected to acknowledge you.....I have now rectified this in my post to the group a few minutes ago.....cheers Susanawee.
No problemo...glad you shared it, and I hope it inspires many future perigrinos down under.
Jim

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back