• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to expect on the Meseta in May?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2022 and 2023
Hi good folks of the Way,

I will begin my walk from Burgos in late April (last year I walked at the end of May). What is the weather like on the Meseta during late April and early May? I am just trying to gauge how leaving earlier will affect my clothing and rain gear choices.

Buen Camino everyone!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You should take several layers of light clothing. What would you wear on a hot day, perhaps including long sleeves for sun protection? Then what layer would you add if it is only 10C in the morning and you know it will warm up to 30 later? What if it starts to rain? Finally, have an outfit for hot nights plus whatever would be needed for a cold one.

I left Burgos on April 9 this year and arrived in Astorga April 24. Early on there were some chilly mornings with frost but by 10 am it was sunny t-shirt weather. Later on a cold front brought snow to the nearby hills, some rain and wind. And mud. Some albergues had heat on at night, some did not but it would have been welcome. Overall, though, a delightful time to walk the Meseta. Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
What to expect? Sun and rain. Pack lightly for all eventualities. I prefer a poncho to a rain jacket/ pants myself. Make the effort to start walking early each day as the sunrises can be spectacular.
The meseta is a unique experience. Long distances where you walk horizon to horizon.
I have a British friend that walks the meseta almost every year as he finds it a very contemplative time for him. He has probably walked this section alone 10 or more times.FB_IMG_1485961154124.jpg

You should take several layers of light clothing. What would you wear on a hot day, perhaps including long sleeves for sun protection? Then what layer would you add if it is only 10C in the morning and you know it will warm up to 30 later? What if it starts to rain? Finally, have an outfit for hot nights plus whatever would be needed for a cold one.
Thanks for your advice!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I left Burgos on April 9 this year and arrived in Astorga April 24. Early on there were some chilly mornings with frost but by 10 am it was sunny t-shirt weather. Later on a cold front brought snow to the nearby hills, some rain and wind. And mud. Some albergues had heat on at night, some did not but it would have been welcome. Overall, though, a delightful time to walk the Meseta. Buen Camino
Thank you! Sounds lovely!

What to expect? Sun and rain. Pack lightly for all eventualities. I prefer a poncho to a rain jacket/ pants myself. Make the effort to start walking early each day as the sunrises can be spectacular.
The meseta is a unique experience. Long distances where you walk horizon to horizon.
I have a British friend that walks the meseta almost every year as he finds it a very contemplative time for him. He has probably walked this section alone 10 or more times.View attachment 136613
Thank you!! Excited to get going!

The magical Meseta.Early morning long shadows.jpgEntrance to Hontanas.jpg20220906_080910.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had snow in 2018 in April which was a change as I had only seen the Meseta in 30 plus. Just have layers and a poncho.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I will begin my walk from Burgos in late April (last year I walked at the end of May). What is the weather like on the Meseta during late April and early May? I am just trying to gauge how leaving earlier will affect my clothing and rain gear choices.

Buen Camino everyone!
I walked the Meseta the first week of May 2019 and this year. Most early mornings were 40-42 degrees F. Small amounts of drizzle rarely. By noon, weather was temperate, 60-70F. Still had a couple of small showers. I was beyond Leon in the second week of May when the weather broke, and early morning temps rose about 10F. I have met other pilgrims who were rained on nearly every day in May. Weather can vary greatly year to year. I take the exact same gear April to October. Base weight about 10 lbs. Extra large Frogtoggs raincoat fits over me and pack, and weighs about 6 ounces. Rain skirt weighs 2 ounces. Cheap down jacket weights about 9 ounces. Ball cap. One pair trail runners on my feet. That is all of my outer wear. I walk briskly and generate plenty of heat. If you get cold easily, get a higher quality down coat, wool hat, gloves, maybe light rain pants.

I walked the Meseta the first week of May 2019 and this year. Most early mornings were 40-42 degrees F. Small amounts of drizzle rarely. By noon, weather was temperate, 60-70F. Still had a couple of small showers. I was beyond Leon in the second week of May when the weather broke, and early morning temps rose about 10F. I have met other pilgrims who were rained on nearly every day in May. Weather can vary greatly year to year. I take the exact same gear April to October. Base weight about 10 lbs. Extra large Frogtoggs raincoat fits over me and pack, and weighs about 6 ounces. Rain skirt weighs 2 ounces. Cheap down jacket weights about 9 ounces. Ball cap. One pair trail runners on my feet. That is all of my outer wear. I walk briskly and generate plenty of heat. If you get cold easily, get a higher quality down coat, wool hat, gloves, maybe light rain pants.
Thanks so much for the detailed feedback. We do need to be ready for varied conditions. This year I started in late May and never saw a drop of rain, until we went up to Bilbao, that is!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, expect the unexpected in May. On May 13, 2018, when we left Burgos it was cloudy and very chilly. It even threatened to rain with a few big rain drops but it didn't rain. A couple hours later, it was sunny and got very hot all the way to Astorga. It got cooler and rained a few days going to Santiago. Then it was overcast and cold rain all the way to Finisterre.

Awesome that you are doing the Meseta, Mendo girl! IMHO, too many people turn up their noses at this stretch of the Camino thinking it too boring. I bridged April/May when I did it in 2017. Alone with my thoughts, the Meseta coaxes deep introspection no matter the weather which can run from capricious to sublime. I'm looking forward to having this experience again. I miss the Meseta.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Awesome that you are doing the Meseta, Mendo girl! IMHO, too many people turn up their noses at this stretch of the Camino thinking it too boring. I bridged April/May when I did it in 2017. Alone with my thoughts, the Meseta coaxes deep introspection no matter the weather which can run from capricious to sublime. I'm looking forward to having this experience again. I miss the Meseta.
Thanks for your message.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Buen Camino everyone!
I walked the Mesetarhisyear 11 to 22 of may from Burgos to Leon
Perfect Weather , slightly chilla mornings and 22/25 dégrées during thé day !
Wild Flowers and wheat Green fields agitated by thé Wind!! A delight Especially a round Castrojeriz, Boadilla del Camino, Alto de Mostaeles!… oh and storks n’estima in every Bell toser of thé villages !!
Enjoy !

I walked the Mesetarhisyear 11 to 22 of may from Burgos to Leon
Perfect Weather , slightly chilla mornings and 22/25 dégrées during thé day !
Wild Flowers and wheat Green fields agitated by thé Wind!! A delight Especially a round Castrojeriz, Boadilla del Camino, Alto de Mostaeles!… oh and storks n’estima in every Bell toser of thé villages !!
Enjoy !
Thanks for your feedback!

I agree with C clearly, layers to add and to remove. we encountered a heat wave so bad this year in May that had us walking early so we could get kms in by by 1pm. Athough we are from San Francisco so we do not live in heat that much.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with C clearly, layers to add and to remove. we encountered a heat wave so bad this year in May that had us walking early so we could get kms in by by 1pm. Athough we are from San Francisco so we do not live in heat that much.
Oh, I thought that heat wave started in June (when I left last year). Hey, you are in SF, I am up north in Mendocino. Let me know if there is a group of camino folks in the Bay area, would be fun to meet up.

My Mezeta start in ´14 from Burgos was 2 dgr C in the morning, 24 at noon and littel or no rain before O´Cebreiro.
Wearing shorts, got sunburned backs of the calves!! as you go due west...
And yes, had sleeping bag, sometimes chill in dorms...
Enjoy...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don't expect anything, you will be perpetually disappointed. Limit the over-thinking.

Pack the basics, have an idea of an approximate schedule.

The Camino usually provides, a path of discovery, except for @OzAnnie this year, and a few others.

Personally I've never found the section of the Camino Frances known as the meseta (basically just rolling hills and farmlands) to be anything really different than the rest of the Frances so I have never taken any special gear or precautions to walk it and did so with no problem five different times. If it has different weather patterns I never noticed it. If was hotter or colder than the other parts I never noticed it. Never found it to be any more mysterious, mystical or spiritual. Never found it to be more boring or more exciting. Did find it to be flatter. I suppose to some that's some kind of big deal, but to me it was just a terrain feature found anywhere in the world.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Buen Camino everyone!
April is a shoulder month where you can get warm weather, rainy weather and some quite cold days.

Buen Camino everyone!
Reply by ChatGPT:
The Meseta is a high plateau in central Spain that can be quite hot in May. Expect temperatures to be in the mid to high 70s to low 80s Fahrenheit (25 to 30 degrees Celsius) during the day, and to drop to the mid to low 50s Fahrenheit (10 to 15 degrees Celsius) at night. There will be plenty of sunshine and dry weather, but it is always a good idea to carry water and sun protection as the sun is strong on the plateau. The walking conditions will be good, but it can be dusty, so it is best to wear closed-toe shoes.
The Meseta is a beautiful place to walk, with rolling hills and expansive views, but it can also be quite remote, so it is important to plan ahead and be prepared for the conditions.
You can also check the weather forecast for the specific area you will be walking to for the most accurate information.

I live right in the middle of the Meseta. Every May is different. This one was dry, so there are fewer wild flowers than usual, but still plenty... and no mud bogs.
The only extreme weather we get in May is the occasional "gullywasher" thunderstorm.
Your mileage may vary.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back