• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to Order at a Bar or Cafe after Using the Restroom

Rebequa

Time of past OR future Camino
from Astorga 2021; from SJPP 2023
The scenario: I've walked, had some breakfast, walked some more. I stop in a bar/café to use their restroom. To show appreciation, I want to buy something. What beverages would be useful to my body at this point? Or what's a packable/portable snack they typically sell? --My apologies if this is TOO specific, but on my first Camino (Astorga to SdC)I didn't have a grasp of what bars serve, so I ended up ordering Zumo every time! (which is delicious, of course!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Since for the most part I use the great outdoors on the Camino as my restroom (#1 folks, spare me any lecturing about TP on the path) if I'm using the restroom at a cafe it's because I've already stopped there to eat or drink, or both.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When nature calls, I find it’s also a good time for a café con leche or a café solo break. I find that a shot of coffee helps to keep the old, tired feet moving forward plus it’s an opportunity to take my pack off for a few minutes. Plus, I don’t need much of an excuse to stop at a cafe/bar particularly when filled with locals and pilgrims.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I almost always ordered an aquarius. I needed the fluids with electrolytes. And they were usually nice and cold which was heavenly after walking for a few hours.

I also often ordered some sort of pastry or a tortilla de potata for breakfast. They don't expect you to order much. It is easy to order something small, go the the toilets, eat or drink, and leave. I often spent 10 minutes or less at the bar while others spent an hour or two.

And yes - if you need to use the toilets but don't want anything to eat or drink - just give them a 0.50 € coin.

And as someone mentioned - I don't always wait until a bar to take care of my personal needs and I am more than willing to pee somewhere outside if need be (and I don't leave toilet paper behind). Other business I won't do outside unless it is an emergency and I just can't wait (rare - but that can happen) - but I still don't leave TP behind.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pfft.. I just sneak in past and use the WC. If there's a half toilet roll that I can get in my pocket I usually grab that too, in case I need it later. If I spot a decent piece of leftover tortilla or something at an empty table I usually scoop that up too as I slip out, usually unnoticed, but I give a friendly shrug and smile if anyone says anything.. no point in wasting stuff..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pfft.. I just sneak in past and use the WC. If there's a half toilet roll that I can get in my pocket I usually grab that too, in case I need it later. If I spot a decent piece of leftover tortilla or something at an empty table I usually scoop that up too as I slip out, usually unnoticed, but I give a friendly shrug and smile if anyone says anything.. no point in wasting stuff..
Lol - careful irony is often missed on here...or were you :) I usually try for a bag of prunes to get my money's worth !

The Coca Cola Company doesn't sell Aquarius on the west side of the ocean, but they sure do in Spain. Orange or lemon flavor, it tastes like a fruit soda drink, but its lightly sugared, and filled with electrolytes. Every bar has it. Tastes more like a carbonated Gatorade than anything else. If you are a sweater (not the cozy fuzzy kind, but the soggy smelly kind), its essential to ward off dehydration and cramping. I usually have two a day....at the stops where we change the fluids.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Other's mightn't believe you, but I do 😇

The Coca Cola Company doesn't sell Aquarius on the west side of the ocean, but they sure do in Spain. Orange or lemon flavor, it tastes like a fruit soda drink, but its lightly sugared, and filled with electrolytes. Every bar has it. Tastes more like a carbonated Gatorade than anything else. If you are a sweater (not the cozy fuzzy kind, but the soggy smelly kind), its essential to ward off dehydration and cramping. I usually have two a day....at the stops where we change the fluids.
Doesn't taste like carbonated anything to me. I couldn't drink it if it were carbonated - carbonation is medically forbidden for me. But yes - similar to Gatorade or Powerade - but better. If your lucky - they add a slice of orange to your orange Aquarius and a slice of lemon to your lemon Aquarius! It really is the best for rehydrating me. The Aquarius zero is very good too - but I never saw that on the Frances. I did find it on the Norte - sometimes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Things I didn't expect to look forward to on my Camino: drinking these.

Seriously, this sounds amazing.
Edit: Apparently they're also sold in Japan and a ton of other countries! It was originally intended to compete with the Japanese drink Pocari Sweat:

The scenario: I've walked, had some breakfast, walked some more. I stop in a bar/café to use their restroom. To show appreciation, I want to buy something. What beverages would be useful to my body at this point? Or what's a packable/portable snack they typically sell? --My apologies if this is TOO specific, but on my first Camino (Astorga to SdC)I didn't have a grasp of what bars serve, so I ended up ordering Zumo every time! (which is delicious, of course!)
Sorry but it's really not rocket science ie bottled water, beer, coffee, soft drinks, tortilla, Torta de Santiago, bocadillos of all varieties, not to mention fresh fruit such as oranges, apples, bananas (and/or chocolate bars if you want more of a cocoa/sugar hit!).
Much better variety and quality of product than we generally find in UK cafes!
If not needing any of this stuff 50 cents or a Euro if you're feeling flush (haha!) is the going rate for a visit to the servicios.

In the US I always leave buck or order water. My French brother-in-law explained that it's customary in France for bar restrooms to be open to all, no payment expected, but I still felt better leaving something. I don't know about Spain.

In the US I always leave buck or order water. My French brother-in-law explained that it's customary in France for bar restrooms to be open to all, no payment expected, but I still felt better leaving something. I don't know about Spain.
I think that the difference between bars in France and those on the Camino in Spain is that the bars on the Camino see a lot more foot traffic of people who use their services but don't stay and order something.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I always purchase something in the bar/cafe as the owners pay for the toilet paper/electricity/staff to clean/the equipment that we use. So I buy a coffee and pastry or sandwich.

€46,-
Why go all the way to the WC? Surely there is a quiet corner....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Depends upon the time of day, and where we are on a the trail and how far from the next stop we might be. Common sense prevails…
I may order a larger bottle of water,fill-up two half-liters and drink the third. A piece of fruit, a Zumo, a coffee or tea, toast, a candy bar, soup, etc.

Of course I should have written " acceptable". Mental note to self : do not type when tired.
I wouldn’t be in the least surprised if you were a ‘Private Eye’ reader in which the description ‘tired and emotional’ is a euphemism for my typical state during my more regrettable posts (also arguments, proposals of marriage, ill-conceived decisions to participate in failed coups and so-on )

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked in the summer and would grab an ice cold drink or ice cream if I needed to stop and use the restroom. Some bars even had chairs and tables outside for a quick break.

I wouldn’t be in the least surprised if you were a ‘Private Eye’ reader in which the description ‘tired and emotional’ is a euphemism for my typical state during my more regrettable posts (also arguments, proposals of marriage, ill-conceived decisions to participate in failed coups and so-on )

Ha . I know indeed what is meant by " tired and emotional" in this context but no, I make these errors being fully sober.

We usually ordered a Scheppes tonica water! The quinine in helped keep us healthy!
Found them pretty much everywhere that was making drinks.
The tonic water will hydrate you but I don’t think there’s much quinine in it for health benefits
There’s a lot of sugar in a bottle of it however

I don’t tend to worry about what’s in the tonic though, especially when I add a few gins

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I usually opt for diet tonic if available and can't tell the difference. I'm not much into hard liquor, but I enjoy a refreshing g&t with a slice of lime, especially in the summer.🙂
I’ve hardly ever seen diet tonic in the bars on the Camino, and only very seldom in the supermarkets, and then only in large bottles
A large bottle of tonic and a bottle of gin would be too heavy for the rucksack though!
A G n T is definitely refreshing in the summer
its not bad in the winter either, or spring, or autumn
Slainte/cheers Chris

Agua con gas!!Always healthy !!1 or 2 € max

If I’ve had too many breakfasts/ cafe con leche, then I always just ended up going for a banana or some other piece of fruit (if available). Can always munch on it during the walk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think that the difference between bars in France and those on the Camino in Spain is that the bars on the Camino see a lot more foot traffic of people who use their services but don't stay and order something.
That's a good point. I feel showing appreciation by either purchasing something or leaving perhaps a Euro is the decent thing to do.

The tonic water will hydrate you but I don’t think there’s much quinine in it for health benefits
There’s a lot of sugar in a bottle of it however

I don’t tend to worry about what’s in the tonic though, especially when I add a few gins
I believe that quinine was added as a malaria preventative. I don't believe malaria is an issue on the Camino, though. It is carried by some mosquitos, not by bed bugs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I almost always ordered an aquarius. I needed the fluids with electrolytes. And they were usually nice and cold which was heavenly after walking for a few hours.

I also often ordered some sort of pastry or a tortilla de potata for breakfast. They don't expect you to order much. It is easy to order something small, go the the toilets, eat or drink, and leave. I often spent 10 minutes or less at the bar while others spent an hour or two.

And yes - if you need to use the toilets but don't want anything to eat or drink - just give them a 0.50 € coin.

And as someone mentioned - I don't always wait until a bar to take care of my personal needs and I am more than willing to pee somewhere outside if need be (and I don't leave toilet paper behind). Other business I won't do outside unless it is an emergency and I just can't wait (rare - but that can happen) - but I still don't leave TP behind.
Is there something wrong with digging a cat hole and burying all of the evidence? Asking for a friend.

Aquarius.
A bottle of water ( which you can refill and reuse at later moments ).
A chocolatebar.

Also perfectly exceptable to leave a 0.50 € coin on the counter when you went to the toilet.So no need to buy anything.
As one who is a vegetarian, does not drink coffee or alcohol or soft drinks, I am happy to learn leaving .50 euro is acceptable. Thanks!

Is there something wrong with digging a cat hole and burying all of the evidence? Asking for a friend.
Quite a lot, actually. The camino routes are generally not wilderness areas, although there are some parts that do go through forested areas. So you are going to be doing your business either close to the camino itself, or on someone's private property if you do move far enough off the camino to follow the general guidance on this. Moreover, while your 'friend' might be disciplined enough to follow the general guidance about depth and coverage, it is not good practice to leave TP in place, but to have some mechanism to carry it out. And finally, there are very few circumstances where it is necessary to do so. Just because toilets are in bars or other such places does not give anyone an excuse to avoid them and then do their business some distance further on when the urge to do something they could have done in a town or village suddenly becomes so compelling they cannot avoid defecating where they are.

ps your 'friend' would be quite welcome to join the forum, rather than have you act as an intermediary.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Quite a lot, actually. The camino routes are generally not wilderness areas, although there are some parts that do go through forested areas. So you are going to be doing your business either close to the camino itself, or on someone's private property if you do move far enough off the camino to follow the general guidance on this. Moreover, while your 'friend' might be disciplined enough to follow the general guidance about depth and coverage, it is not good practice to leave TP in place, but to have some mechanism to carry it out. And finally, there are very few circumstances where it is necessary to do so. Just because toilets are in bars or other such places does not give anyone an excuse to avoid them and then do their business some distance further on when the urge to do something they could have done in a town or village suddenly becomes so compelling they cannot avoid defecating where they are.

ps your 'friend' would be quite welcome to join the forum, rather than have you act as an intermediary.
The friend is a member. Just shy. Thanks for your pronouncement.

Nothing at all wrong with that if you find yourself stuck out in the open between villages and you've no choice. But it's not much fun and frankly, it's messy and inconvenient..

Much better and more hygienic if you can, to just slip into a bar or restaurant, order a beer or coffee and use their facilities..

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

As @dougfitz and @Flog said because it's normally simply not necessary.

Nothing at all wrong with that if you find yourself stuck out in the open between villages and you've no choice. But it's not much fun and frankly, it's messy and inconvenient..

Much better and more hygienic if you can, to just slip into a bar or restaurant, order a beer or coffee and use their facilities..

The problem with purchasing anything caffeinated to make up for needing a toilet is... needing to pat for a toilet for having bought something caffeinated! :)

I really like my backpacker's bidet and lightweight shovel (and the luck of being able to find a secluded, accessible-ish, off-path place to take care of the "business" caffeine has peristatically foisted on my innards.

I leave a euro . Often it is refused.
taken that coffee cost 1 to 1½ Euro, why not just order a coffee and..? and get the weight off your feet.
Using facilities without supporting the shop is rude and when it includes snatching half a roll of loo paper like Flog suggests is working against a healthy relationship btw patrons and customers, and will reflect bad on others..we need the goodwill of one another...
Sorry but that is juvenile IMHO..knowing that you will do it anyway...

ps heard from this particular poster; I was duped into not taking the irony of what he wrote! that sometimes happens to me !!

Last edited:
Using facilities without supporting the shop is rude and when it includes snatching half a roll of loo paper like Flog suggests is working against a healthy relationship btw patrons and customers, and will reflect bad on others..we need the goodwill of one another...
Virkelig? Troede du at min kommentar var seriøs?🙄

Last edited:
taken that coffee cost 1 to 1½ Euro, why not just order a coffee and..? and get the weight off your feet.

Using the toilet and giving a coin is perfectly acceptable. Like some posters already mentioned: not everyone wants to drink something. Some of us have weak bladders and do not want to stop x-amount kilometers later for another toiletbreak.Etcetera etcetera.

And I'm sure that @Flog used a good dose of irony in his post.

Sometimes it's acceptable to not have anything. But I always get something in any case, though be aware that on occasion, a bar or café may have no toilets ...

Otherwise, depending on how you feel, water, red wine, coffee, a beer can be fine.

And it's not infrequent for a bar to have 1.5L bottles of water for refill purposes.

Otherwise, red wine can help slightly with muscle pain and beer can help slightly with pain generally and with quick rehydration, but I will add that in hot weather and you are hot, have lost fluids and minerals etc, a cold coke really can help as a general restorative.

Of course, these are all just drinks, and make sure to have your prescription meds if you need them, but it's still a good idea to keep in mind how the ordinary food and drink may keep us generally restored along the Way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I do not think buying water in a plastic container is good. Surely most people have a metal water container they refill? I have walked four different caminos but never heard of Aquarius. I will look out for it in Portugal this Spring and will taste test it.

Thanks, Flog. At 75 our system has a mind of its own. So when you least expect it…and at the most inconvenient time…well you get the idea.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do not think buying water in a plastic container is good. Surely most people have a metal water container they refill? I have walked four different caminos but never heard of Aquarius. I will look out for it in Portugal this Spring and will taste test it.

I don’t think it’s indefensible to buy a couple of 500ml bottles of water and re-use the bottles for a few weeks.

Aquarius, on the other hand, is a ‘sports drink’ (water plus electrolytes and something sugary I suppose) made by Coca-Cola. Personally, I’d just refill my water bottles.

I advise all my peregrina friends to NEVER pass up an opportunity to use a flush toilet when the opportunity presents itself. Even if you don't feel the "urge" at that particular moment, do it anyway. It may save lots of stress.

Just like I used to tell my kids before we left the house - I don't care if you have to go now, just try. 😅

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
but I will add that in hot weather and you are hot, have lost fluids and minerals etc, a cold coke really can help as a general restorative.
Back when me and my then-boyfriend did a lot of long-distance bicycle touring, we found that splitting a 16oz bottle of Coke about 2/3rds through the day's miles really helped. I'm sure some of it was just a chance to stop and rest and get a little sugar and caffeine. Our bottles of water by then were usually warm and tasted of plastic, to boot. (Or worse--in the prairie provinces of Canada I bought packets of Tang powder because the local well water often had a strong taste that made it hard to drink enough water, period.)

I don't know how many hot afternoons included us sitting on the curb of a convenience store or gas station next to our fully-loaded bicycles and passing a bottle of Coke or Dr. Pepper back and forth while discussing where we were camping next. Sometimes we also got potato chips--I'm still not sure what flavor "All-Dressed" is supposed to be, lol.

There was also once I remember we stopped at the local tiny grocery and I saw quarts of Five Alive, a juice blend I hadn't seen in yeeeears. I bought one as a treat, and it was so good I nearly drank the whole thing in one go. I swear, having that much sugar hit me all at once was as good as getting a tailwind!

(I always wonder how many other Camino walkers are/have been bicycle tourists. I think the activities have a lot in common. I might post about that, somewhere else.)

Sometimes it's acceptable to not have anything. But I always get something in any case, though be aware that on occasion, a bar or café may have no toilets ...

Otherwise, depending on how you feel, water, red wine, coffee, a beer can be fine.

And it's not infrequent for a bar to have 1.5L bottles of water for refill purposes.

Otherwise, red wine can help slightly with muscle pain and beer can help slightly with pain generally and with quick rehydration, but I will add that in hot weather and you are hot, have lost fluids and minerals etc, a cold coke really can help as a general restorative.

Of course, these are all just drinks, and make sure to have your prescription meds if you need them, but it's still a good idea to keep in mind how the ordinary food and drink may keep us generally restored along the Way.
Very helpful! Thanks. :)

though be aware that on occasion, a bar or café may have no toilets ...
Ah, that's interesting, I was under the impression that it was not legal to operate a bar or restaurant without toilet facilities. Has anyone found such a place recently? Just curious. (Ramon's place in "The Way" does not count 🤣.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Aquarius -a lovely refreshing drink!

Just back from central Portugal. I had never seen this in cafés there, so looked it up on 2 online grocery chains (Pingo Doce and Continente). They DO sell it, but it doesn't look as if it's very common.

For Portugal, the most common fruit drink in bars is Sumol, which comes in orange and pineapple. If you want fizzy water, Pedras is the most common brand (pronounced "ped-rush," more or less). Pedras also comes in a slightly sweetened lemon version which is pretty good, if you don't like plain agua con gaz.

If questioned about it you can say "para los servicios."
Except that on my recent walk on the Salvador and Primitivo I was informed that it is now prohibited to charge for bathroom use.
I could not determine if that applied only in Asturias (I was told when I arrived in Mieres that they could not accept money for use of the toilets, and I apologized because I really did not need a beer or chips) or extended into Galicia as well, for I did not have enough need for bathroom use without also being in need of a snack. I did see a bar on arrival at the outskirts of Tineo that had a sign to indicate that the toilets were for customers only (which was fine as I was starving and in need of coffee). So places may have their ways of avoiding giving away loo paper and having to clean up after dozens if not hundreds of pilgrims per day…
Does anyone know about other regions? I didn’t need services in Castille-León, nor, as I noted, in Galicia.
Also: it is not customary in Por tubal and the bar-keepers can be quite offended if you try to leave anything for the use of the toilets. Once I had a barkeepers hand me back my euro and say to me in French (because I had asked for the washroom location in French), “This is not Spain, and we do not charge for you to be comfortable.” It was quite something!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Not really. Too heavy,
I use two 'one use' 600 mm plastic water bottles that I bring from home, and refill as I go.
10 gms each.

How could you have missed Aquarius?
Magical stuff on a hot day. :)

I generally have one during the last couple of hours walking as a 'boost'.

Speechless.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back