• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to pack foe a May Camino ......

Undermanager

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
What to pack and bring - with hindsight
After nearly 10 days, I thought I’d ponder what I should have packed for a May Camino, rather than what I did. Here is what I will bring the next time I do a Camino:

35 + 8 litre Freeflow rucksack by Berghaus. I bought this new for the Camino, and after some adjustments is perfect. I love the fact that the back is curved so off your back, meaning you don't sweat! It also has a rain cover.
15 litre day sack by Vango. It stuffs into its own pocket, and is very small and light. Perfect for the evening.
2 pairs of good walking socks. Forget sports socks and sock liners didn't work for me in this heat. Remember to test the socks with the boots you will use for a few weeks to check they work for you.
1 pair of walking boots with ankle support. It goes without saying, make sure they are fully broken in, using the socks you intend to use on the Camino.
1 pair of very light canvas shoes for the evening.
1 baggy lightweight quality bike t-shirt.
1 very lightweight short sleeved shirt.
2 thin pullover fleece.
2 pairs of underwear.
1 pair of trousers that you can zip off the bottom parts from.
1 pair of light shorts with good pockets.
1 sarong (to be used as a towel, cover from bathroom).
1 ultralight sleeping bag in a compression stuff bag. Pay for quality!
Pair of light, collapsible walking poles.
1 hat.
1 blister kit: needles, lighter, alcohol wipes, small tube of general antiseptic, a dozen waterproof plasters (they seem to be more sticky than normal ones).
Tiger balm for aching muscles.
Turmeric and black powder for joint pain.
Half a dozen Ibuprofen tablets.
Pack of tissues or toilet roll.
Two pairs of top quality earplugs (don't skimp on this essential item).
100ml bottle of body wash.
100ml bottle of talcum powder.
100ml bottle of hair gel (I know ....)
Three sachets of shampoo.
One litre water bottle, collapsible eg Platypus.
One wash bag, for holding washroom items.
One zip bag, to hold other items.
One good plastic bag, to keep all clothes in.
Three razors.
Toothbrush and small tube of toothpaste.
Suntan lotion, at least factor 30.
Lip sunblock.
Small padlock and key.
Moneybelt, flat, that fits under trousers.
Zovorax, if you suffer from lip blisters easily.
Top quality 5" smartphone (the bigger the screen the better) and charger and adapter with a round adapting part than can push into the round sockets often found in Spain, and which you can swap batteries for. It needs to have a top quality camera, great music playing capabilities, a quality GPS unit, a clock and the usual internet features. GPS usage on a phone eats up the batteries, so you need to know what to expect and bring at least one spare battery.
Cash carried as a cash card.
One debit or credit card.
Passport.
EU medical card plus Private Medical card.
All papers, copies of cards, passport etc scanned and stored securely online.
All guides, books etc use e-books on phone.
Phrase book on phone.

Notes
Anything else you need, you can buy. I think Spain is quite expensive for everyday items. If you know where to shop, I guess you can probably keep costs down, but it's a lot easier just to bring most of what you need. Just make sure you keep quantities down.

In the first 10 days, I've used the sleeping bag twice. At the end of the day, sleep in your clothes and a light sleeping sheet, when no blankets are provided. Some sleeping bags, like my current one (600g), however, are almost as light as a sheet.

In most places, people have left behind shampoo to use, so you really don't need to bring huge amounts.

So far, I’ve not needed a bottle opener, knife, fork, spoon, cup, plate etc. There was always something to use.

I’ve never felt the need for a tent, cooker or bed liner. I'm very glad I didn't bring a bedroll as it wouldn't have been used, and would probably have been dumped by now.

I’ve found that I drink about 1 litre of liquid per 12 kilometres. I use a one litre bottle, plus a plastic bottle from the supermarket. The best drink by far I think to quench thirst is lemon tea! The trick is to plan ahead for the day, so you don’t carry too much liquid, because it is heavy. But never be caught short on the walk because it is potentially very hot here and some walks can be very long. Think carefully about water fountains that might not be working and bars and shops that are closed when you arrive and have a reserve. I usually try to have breakfast either before setting off or at a suitable village after two or three ours, then eat again in the evening. I try not to carry food - it's just more weight.

I haven’t phoned anyone in Spain yet, but you may want to eg to get access to some albergues. So get a SIM card for calls and data when you arrive.

I’ve not felt the need for gloves or sunglasses.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I leave in about two weeks, and I am trying to decide if I want to bring my camera or not.

Pros of bringing the camera: having visuals to go along with my memories

Cons of bringing the camera: extra weight (camera + case + adapters for charging at night --I am not bringing any other electronics), having to charge the battery, finding a way to keep it accessible as I walk, having an item that I don't want stolen with me (having to take it into showers, etc)

I guess I'm leaning towards not bringing it. I will bring a journal with me and plan to write in it each day to preserve memories and record my thoughts. Do you think I would regret not bringing a camera?

Personally, I'd take a tiny camera.
I like the Canon Elph. It's tiny, inexpensive, and not something people might want to steal.
It fits in a waist pack and takes wonderful photos.

That said, there are thousands of photos online to collect and make memories of, so a camera is not a necessity.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I leave in about two weeks, and I am trying to decide if I want to bring my camera or not.

Cons of bringing the camera: extra weight (camera + case + adapters for charging at night --I am not bringing any other electronics), having to charge the battery, finding a way to keep it accessible as I walk, having an item that I don't want stolen with me (having to take it into showers, etc)

I guess I'm leaning towards not bringing it. I will bring a journal with me and plan to write in it each day to preserve memories and record my thoughts. Do you think I would regret not bringing a camera?

I surely would regret not having my camera with me. Well, hang on... I'm focused more on not having regrets in life these days. ;) But I get immense joy out of having a camera with me on the Camino, and it's one of my most meaningful things to bring.

I've read lots of posts and opinions by people who say that having a camera takes away and distracts from being fully present in the moment. However, as a very visual person (and also someone who loves to explore different perspectives, and play with light and colour and texture), having images of the Camino helps me to remember afterwards. It's like my scrapbook when I'm walking (I seem to have a maximum of about two and a half weeks when it comes to writing in my Camino journal each time -- I'd rather be exploring and/or talking with new pilgrim friends in the evening), and it's meditative and peaceful for me.

I also have a Canon Elph at the moment, and while it's not as good as my old Kodak at capturing sunsets or sunrises, or accurate colours of flowers, it's great for macro shots and it's compact. It's gifted me with many beautiful shots along the way.

I've never worried about having the camera stolen on the Camino (I've walked three times so far), and it's never been a hassle to take it into the shower because I keep it in my purse, which also always goes into the shower with me. The Kodak was a little bit irritating because the battery didn't come out of the camera, so when I charged the battery the camera was there too (more of a temptation to steal, perhaps). But the Canon's battery comes out. One thing that happened in Leon though, was that a woman mistakenly grabbed my charger and battery because she forgot where she'd plugged hers into the wall (about 12 inches above mine and to the left). I'd dozed off unintentionally, and it was an anxious 20 minutes for me after I woke up, until I sorted out the problem with someone who could ask the room in Spanish if they could help! The pilgrim who made the mistake was profusely sorry, and it was a good reminder to me to keep a better eye on my stuff. :)

No doubt about it, if you take a camera, you can take some extra fine videos and photos. But you have to carry the camera and adapter. It's another thing you have to charge, carry around and another thing you have to keep your eye on. Plus, you have to transfer photos - does your camera have wifi, or need more leads to yet another piece of hardware? A good phone does many different jobs and I am going to buy a top notch smartphone on my return. The light is generally good here so you don't need to worry to much. I only bought my iPad this time and it has been fine, but is also good because I need to run an online business. If I were you, take a good smartphone or an iPad mini or other top quality small tablet. Less is much more!

I would take the camera. Initially, it may not seem necessary, however, in 10-20 years ... it's good to have a hard-copy of at least some memories/what people looked like.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What to pack and bring - with hindsight
After nearly 10 days, I thought I’d ponder what I should have packed for a May Camino, rather than what I did. Here is what I will bring the next time I do a Camino:

35 + 8 litre Freeflow rucksack by Berghaus. I bought this new for the Camino, and after some adjustments is perfect. I love the fact that the back is curved so off your back, meaning you don't sweat! It also has a rain cover.
15 litre day sack by Vango. It stuffs into its own pocket, and is very small and light. Perfect for the evening.
2 pairs of good walking socks. Forget sports socks and sock liners didn't work for me in this heat. Remember to test the socks with the boots you will use for a few weeks to check they work for you.
1 pair of walking boots with ankle support. It goes without saying, make sure they are fully broken in, using the socks you intend to use on the Camino.
1 pair of very light canvas shoes for the evening.
1 baggy lightweight quality bike t-shirt.
1 very lightweight short sleeved shirt.
2 thin pullover fleece.
2 pairs of underwear.
1 pair of trousers that you can zip off the bottom parts from.
1 pair of light shorts with good pockets.
1 sarong (to be used as a towel, cover from bathroom).
1 ultralight sleeping bag in a compression stuff bag. Pay for quality!
Pair of light, collapsible walking poles.
1 hat.
1 blister kit: needles, lighter, alcohol wipes, small tube of general antiseptic, a dozen waterproof plasters (they seem to be more sticky than normal ones).
Tiger balm for aching muscles.
Turmeric and black powder for joint pain.
Half a dozen Ibuprofen tablets.
Pack of tissues or toilet roll.
Two pairs of top quality earplugs (don't skimp on this essential item).
100ml bottle of body wash.
100ml bottle of talcum powder.
100ml bottle of hair gel (I know ....)
Three sachets of shampoo.
One litre water bottle, collapsible eg Platypus.
One wash bag, for holding washroom items.
One zip bag, to hold other items.
One good plastic bag, to keep all clothes in.
Three razors.
Toothbrush and small tube of toothpaste.
Suntan lotion, at least factor 30.
Lip sunblock.
Small padlock and key.
Moneybelt, flat, that fits under trousers.
Zovorax, if you suffer from lip blisters easily.
Top quality 5" smartphone (the bigger the screen the better) and charger and adapter with a round adapting part than can push into the round sockets often found in Spain, and which you can swap batteries for. It needs to have a top quality camera, great music playing capabilities, a quality GPS unit, a clock and the usual internet features. GPS usage on a phone eats up the batteries, so you need to know what to expect and bring at least one spare battery.
Cash carried as a cash card.
One debit or credit card.
Passport.
EU medical card plus Private Medical card.
All papers, copies of cards, passport etc scanned and stored securely online.
All guides, books etc use e-books on phone.
Phrase book on phone.

Notes
Anything else you need, you can buy. I think Spain is quite expensive for everyday items. If you know where to shop, I guess you can probably keep costs down, but it's a lot easier just to bring most of what you need. Just make sure you keep quantities down.

In the first 10 days, I've used the sleeping bag twice. At the end of the day, sleep in your clothes and a light sleeping sheet, when no blankets are provided. Some sleeping bags, like my current one (600g), however, are almost as light as a sheet.

In most places, people have left behind shampoo to use, so you really don't need to bring huge amounts.

So far, I’ve not needed a bottle opener, knife, fork, spoon, cup, plate etc. There was always something to use.

I’ve never felt the need for a tent, cooker or bed liner. I'm very glad I didn't bring a bedroll as it wouldn't have been used, and would probably have been dumped by now.

I’ve found that I drink about 1 litre of liquid per 12 kilometres. I use a one litre bottle, plus a plastic bottle from the supermarket. The best drink by far I think to quench thirst is lemon tea! The trick is to plan ahead for the day, so you don’t carry too much liquid, because it is heavy. But never be caught short on the walk because it is potentially very hot here and some walks can be very long. Think carefully about water fountains that might not be working and bars and shops that are closed when you arrive and have a reserve. I usually try to have breakfast either before setting off or at a suitable village after two or three ours, then eat again in the evening. I try not to carry food - it's just more weight.

I haven’t phoned anyone in Spain yet, but you may want to eg to get access to some albergues. So get a SIM card for calls and data when you arrive.

I’ve not felt the need for gloves or sunglasses.
You know by now :D

Yes I think you will regret it, at least I did. In 2006 I walked Camino frances and had no camera. Still regret it :) I tock contact with friends I met along the way and had they to send me some photos.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back