• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to pack for my First Camino?

Hey everyone. This has been asked a million times I am sure, and I have spent weeks researching these and other threads and sites to come up with my list. I am doing a few training walks now, but have yet to buy the pack so its going to be an interesting one. I plan on shopping up a storm this weekend to get the necessary items I don't already have. The shoes are being bought on Friday so I can start walking them in on the daily. I am 41 and relatively fit, I have done 3 half marathons and travel pretty much all the time. I will most probably struggle, but fitness is the last of my concerns - I can always push through. This is my first long distance hike, so advice is definitely valued! What I am worried about is making sure I don't forget anything and at the same time making sure I don't overload my pack and make it an uncomfortable experience. I am here to clear my head, not suffer! With that in mind, would anyone care to cast an eye over my list and see if I am within the norm or if I have over/underdone anything? I am open to any and all criticisms nd advice. I greatly appreciate everyones assistance. Many Thanks.

BackPack
Deuter Futura Pro 40 (Rain Cover)
OR
Osprey Talon 44 (no rain-cover)
Hydration
Hydration pack for chosen backpack (Preferred) or 2 x 500ml Water Bottles???
Shoes
Adidas Terrex Swift R2 -OR- Salamon Speedcross 5 ???? I wear Adidas normally so open to suggestion
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Sea to Summit Silk Stretch Liner Standard
Jacket
1 x Waterproof Light Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
1 x Convertible cargo (Quick Dry)
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
1 x Sleep shorts (light-weight)
1 x Long compression base layer
1 x short compression base layer
Shirts
1 x Long Sleeve quick dry
2 x Short Sleeved quick dry
1 x cotton tee sleep shirt
1 x long compression base layer
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Lightweight wind and waterproof (undecided)
Underwear
4 x quick dry boxers (underArmor)
Socks
3 x silk liners
3 x merino wool mid length/ankle
Towel
1 x MicroFiber quick Dry (k-Way)
Toileteries
1 x Travel Size all in one shampoo
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x travel toothbrush and toothpaste
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
2 x Material Shopping Bags
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
20 x Band Aid (Various Sizes)
Second Skin Spray
Neosporin/Anti Bacterial Ointment
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Hand Sanitiser (travel Size)
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
10 x Clothes Pegs/Bulldog clips
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
Ziplock Bags (Large and Small)
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Head Phones (Jabra Elite)
Charging Bank
Charging Cables (phone, charger, watch and headlight)
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Anti Insect Spray/ointment
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch
Wallet, passport, Camino Passport etc (If not fitting into backpack)
If you wear eyeglasses, a hard case. You don't always have a safe place to place them at bed time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey everyone. This has been asked a million times I am sure, and I have spent weeks researching these and other threads and sites to come up with my list. I am doing a few training walks now, but have yet to buy the pack so its going to be an interesting one. I plan on shopping up a storm this weekend to get the necessary items I don't already have. The shoes are being bought on Friday so I can start walking them in on the daily. I am 41 and relatively fit, I have done 3 half marathons and travel pretty much all the time. I will most probably struggle, but fitness is the last of my concerns - I can always push through. This is my first long distance hike, so advice is definitely valued! What I am worried about is making sure I don't forget anything and at the same time making sure I don't overload my pack and make it an uncomfortable experience. I am here to clear my head, not suffer! With that in mind, would anyone care to cast an eye over my list and see if I am within the norm or if I have over/underdone anything? I am open to any and all criticisms nd advice. I greatly appreciate everyones assistance. Many Thanks.

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Adidas Terrex Swift R2 -OR- Salamon Speedcross 5 ???? I wear Adidas normally so open to suggestion
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch
Ditch the flip flops. Replace with, crocs, eva birkenstocks, or some other waterproof sandals with some straps and support. Flip flops just don't cut with sore feet, your bunk is on the third floor and the showere are in the basement. Walking a few blocks down hill to dinner, after a long day with sore feet, a little support is much more comfortable.

Before this becomes the 100th post to help with your question, fill the pack you have estimating the weight, put it on and walk around the block. If that is ok, walk a few km or miles. If that is ok, walk 20 km or 15 miles. If that is ok, you know what will work. If not, it is cutting time.

As far as maximum weight, most will target 10 or 11 lb or 5 kg. Less pack weight means less stress, easier on your entire body, but especially your feet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Instead of convertible pants, 2 prs shorts AND sleep shorts, I think I you would be fine with one pair of shorts and one pair of lightweight long pants. Wear one while you wash the other. And base layer long underwear. You dont need that many shirts, either. If you decide you need more once you get there, buy em there or get them from the donation/lost and found box at an albergue. I say all this as someone who has forgotten or lost clothes along the way and found out I don't need them.

I would like to suggest a procedure rather than specific "include X, leave Y" kinds of comments? Get a kitchen scale and weigh everything in grams (to make differences really pop out) and then write them down (I use lighterpack.com). Just that procedure will, I think, force you to really look at whether a certain item is worth a free ride on your back all the way across Spain.

I've never walked that early and weather makes a huge difference (for instance, I usually have one pair of cotton clothes for summer/early fall Caminos. I would never do that in March). So I'll share my list, but it was for much warmer weather. https://lighterpack.com/r/vu75bc

My post-camino review of my list is here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-11-pound-pack-base-weight.64695/#post-789184

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Heather.

Keep in mind that you can always decide to either dump stuff in donation bins at albergues. . dump stuff in the trash . . . send stuff via Correos to home. . . ship stuff via Correos to your end point on the Camino where you can then retrieve it and take it home with you.

If you are headed to Santiago de Compostela, shipping to Ivar's shop is a great option.
Thanks, I have lightened my load (over a period of 4 days) and think it’s just about right. Donations and a package home. A lot of people I have met while on the Camino have done the same. Wish I could find my earplugs for sleeping - I think the may be on their way home, because albergues crowded with exhausted hikers (myself included) are very noisy throughout the entire night.

I take my own pillow case as I do not like sleeping on plastic or paper covered pillows .
Enjoy your Camino.

They are the best thing ever, and the utrasil weigh so little. Go a bit bigger than you think you need, so they arent making your pack smaller than it is. https://seatosummitusa.com/products/ultra-sil-pack-liner?variant=7896127078428

AND MAY I ADD.. THEY DO NOT RUSTLE!!! 😂
I use a flex tech garbage bag for my bag liner. The as I use for my trash bin. The are cheap. I always 1 extra scrunched in the pack but haven't had to use it in more than 1100 miles using my pack.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Food for thought. I was overpacked on my first Camino and shipped over half of my pack to Santiago from Pamplona (thank you Ivar). There are plenty of shops along the way, and even more plentiful are helpful pilgrims you will meet along the way.

Trust that the Camino will provide.

I stuffed my fleece part of my jacket in a dry back and used this as a pillow. Sleep masks with earphones may drown oit the outer noice.

I appreciate that you were VERY thorough in your posted list - including every single item, instead of just saying 'toiletries' or similar. It shows you are really thinking about each item! I did a similarly detailed list. I did not read every response you have here (wow, so many!), so I'm sure you have had some great advise so far. I did carry a knife (I thought I saw someone saying you did not need it?) I liked having a small/basic pocket knife for picnics. I used it daily. My entire list is detailed here, including pictures, and how and when I used all of the items, and which I would not bring again. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On my first pilgrimage, I carried a liter bottle, the pictures attached. This way, the water is cold longer, you don't have to look for a bottle or take off your backpack.
In my opinion, you have too much clothes but you are in good shape so you can carry extra weight on your back if you wish.
On my first trip I wore four sets of socks / pants, now I will wear three sets.
3 T-shirts that are very lightweight, dry fast.
One shoe I walk in and one ultralight sneaker for the afternoon.
One shorts, one detachable hiking pants..
PVC rain pants that are worn over normal pants.
Lightweight wind and waterproof and warm fleece sweaters. Since you're already leaving at the end of March, add another warm piece of clothing.
Hat. Ear Plugs. Something to cut your nails.
One wet toilet paper. MicroFiber quick Dry towel.
Nothing to sleep for, after an afternoon shower I put on clean clothes to sleep in and walk the next day.
Bring a sleeping bag, it will be cold at night at that time.
I don't use flip flops, gloves and head lamp. I don't carry a medical kit, I can get it everywhere if I need it.
Everything else from your equipment that you mentioned that I did not comment on, I find unnecessary.
Backpack and shoes cannot comment, you have to decide which ones are better for you.
You can carry one plastic bag that you put all your stuff in to make sure everything stays dry in case of rain.
Water is available all the way.

20200301_185151.jpg

BackPack
OR
Hydration
Shoes
Flip Flops (For Shower)
Head Light
Black Diamond Revolt
Bed Liner
Jacket
1 x Light Fleece
Pants
2 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
Shirts
Cap
1 x SPF Waterproof
Gloves
Underwear
Socks
3 x silk liners
Towel
Toileteries
1 x Razor
1 x Moisturiser
1 x roll toilet paper
1 x travel size roll on
1 x comb
1 x dry bag
Medical Kit
Second Skin Spray
Needle and thread
Stomach Tablets
Alcohol Wipes
Ibuprofen
Sleep Meds
Allergy meds
Veseline / Vapor Rub
Sundries
3m Para Chord
Pack Sack
4 x Buff (Quick Dry)
Sleep Mask
Ear Plugs
Phone
Charging Bank
Leatherman Wave 2
Leatherman Crater Knife
Kindle Paperwhite
Watch
Apple Watch Series 3
Waist Pouch
I did my first C.F. last year. I took 2 pairs of smart wool socks. Wear one wash one. Really worth it. They were lightweight. No need for sock liners. I had a pair of trekking sandles for wearing when not walking. Bear in mind you need to leave boots at th e door in most albergues so good to have something else to wear.
I got advice to use talc on my feet every day. I used baby power. Not Vaseline. And it totally works. put talc inside your walking shoes also.Take off socks at rest stops where possible. you want your feet to breathe.
In terms of training just to encourage you I did the C.F. In 33 days with no training at all. Not that that is recommended! Best advice is go slower at the start than you think you can and walk at your own pace.
I found a headlight very useful.for albergues where you needed to get ready and the main light wasn't on.
my shoes were salamon x ultra. They were amazing but shoes are very personal only you know what will work for you.
i bought a simple knife on the way.great for cutting oranges at rest stops if nothing else!
Bought some pegs as i found i needed them so I'd take some. Don't understand this idea of using safety pins but each to their own.,
Other thing i bought was a pack cover. Mine was an osprey talon 33. It was the perfect size.
i used a bumbag for wallet, credential, pasport, charger cable phone and power pack. Easy to keep these valuables close at hand. Maybe not so stylish but I'm so glad i had it. Kept the credential and passport in a small clear bag.free airport security ones are ideal.ost
hope that helps and buon Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did my first C.F. last year. I took 2 pairs of smart wool socks. Wear one wash one. Really worth it. They were lightweight. No need for sock liners. I had a pair of trekking sandles for wearing when not walking. Bear in mind you need to leave boots at th e door in most albergues so good to have something else to wear.
I got advice to use talc on my feet every day. I used baby power. Not Vaseline. And it totally works. put talc inside your walking shoes also.Take off socks at rest stops where possible. you want your feet to breathe.
In terms of training just to encourage you I did the C.F. In 33 days with no training at all. Not that that is recommended! Best advice is go slower at the start than you think you can and walk at your own pace.
I found a headlight very useful.for albergues where you needed to get ready and the main light wasn't on.
my shoes were salamon x ultra. They were amazing but shoes are very personal only you know what will work for you.
i bought a simple knife on the way.great for cutting oranges at rest stops if nothing else!
Bought some pegs as i found i needed them so I'd take some. Don't understand this idea of using safety pins but each to their own.,
Other thing i bought was a pack cover. Mine was an osprey talon 33. It was the perfect size.
i used a bumbag for wallet, credential, pasport, charger cable phone and power pack. Easy to keep these valuables close at hand. Maybe not so stylish but I'm so glad i had it. Kept the credential and passport in a small clear bag.free airport security ones are ideal.ost
hope that helps and buon Camino.
Wow, thanks for the detailed response and kind words. Really appreciate the effort that took. I will definitely take heed of this advice and work it into my plans. Thank you so much.

That certainly could be the case, if one is talking about a heavier weight Merino sock being used during warm weather walking. I certainly would not recommend the use of a heavy or mid weight padded merino sock, unless it is cold weather walking.

I find that a thin-padded weight Merino sock, like the Smartwool Phd that I use, is very breathable, does not make my feet overheat, and do dry fairly quickly. My experience when using a synthetic blend sock, is that they do have a bit of an advantage in drying time, but I think in my case, overall, a good Merino wool sock performs on my feet better than synthetics like a Coolmax.

I think the best advice is what you suggest, Charles. . . try them out. CoolMax and Wigwam are a couple of companies that produce high quality synthetic socks. There are others, too.
That's good to know because I didn't know what weight of merino socks to buy. I bought the light ones for my trip this September, they were on a buy one pair get one pair free sale. I also bought the liners.

That's good to know because I didn't know what weight of merino socks to buy. I bought the light ones for my trip this September, they were on a buy one pair get one pair free sale. I also bought the liners.

Buy the socks that work with your shoes. Unless you get larger shoes to accomodate them, it's better to just wear liner socks than to wear two pairs of socks and have shoes that are too tight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buy the socks that work with your shoes. Unless you get larger shoes to accomodate them, it's better to just wear liner socks than to wear two pairs of socks and have shoes that are too tight.
Thanks, i'am going to hike around in the summer so I can see what works best before I leave in September

Looks good!

Few quick thoughts...
Don't really need sleepwear as such, just next day's underpants and t shirt will do. Add your baselayers if froz.
Big safety pins not clothes pegs
Don't need knife (bite your bread, ask shopkeepers to open bottles)
Paperwhite - hmm I never have time to read. That's hard to envisage I know, but it's the honest truth. You can also use Pocket or Kindle on your phone.
Ive never used paracord
Band aids aren't enough if you get a proper blister. Consult the many threads on here bickering about blisters.
Tissue packs instead of roll toilet paper - stay cleaner, take up less room
Rather than have a pack cover and / or a small dry bag, get a Sea to Summit full pack liner. Never get damp stuff ever again.
You don't mention sunglasses or sunscreen - always essential
Agree with the material (reusable) shopping bags - massively useful: hand luggage if you check pack in, laundry bag, as well as shopping. Only 1 though
I take a pumice file and you need the means to cut your nails
Not sure why you'd need 4 buffs. Also a buff can be used as a sleep mask.
I brought 2 long sleeve merino wool shirts, one short sleeve
Medium weight wool sweater
Light waterproof raincoat
Two pair hiking pants
Two pairs of wool socks
Silk pajama bottoms
Two merino wool underwear
1.5 pound (40F) sleeping bag
Pillow case
Light gloves (lost one the day we had a blizzard)
Soap, shampoo, washcloth, towel (quick dry material)
Salomon Xultra hiking boots and a light weigh summer shoe
Hiking poles
Medical tape for possible pre-blister application
Toilet paper (I'd bring a quarter roll next time)
Water bladder
38 liter Marmot bag with cover

Note 1: where the number was greater than 1, the other one was in the bag
Note 2: When it was cool/cold/dry, the wool sweater worked. When it was sunny and very cold, the sweater and rain coat was more than enough. Total weight on back: 14 pounds (Not including water). Left SJPP April 1. I used everything. May bring a poncho along with raincoat next time.

Hi @Gibbo147 ,

perhaps you will find one or another useful idea in my pack list i developed over the last 7 years of walking caminos (starting unexperienced on 8,5 kg :eek:in 2013 (dry and without food!)): https://lighterpack.com/r/y70rbu

So long
DonCamino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.